Author Topic: 2019 Forester Touring w/ Eyesight  (Read 13018 times)

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
Re: 2019 Forester Touring w/ Eyesight
« Reply #40 on: December 09, 2018, 10:15:38 pm »
Belated congrats!  Nice looking rig!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Mike

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +172/-99
  • Lurker
    • View Profile
  • Cars: A Beater and an Ascent
« Reply #41 on: December 10, 2018, 10:22:30 am »
Superb!  Loved the outward visibility of the Foz when I drove one a while ago.

Is that the same blue as Random's Crosstrek?  It's lovely.  Enjoy!

the Crosstrek in a similar shade is Quartz Blue Pearl. The Forester is the new for 2019 Horizon Blue Pearl. They are very similar.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2018, 10:32:59 am »
Belated congrats!  Nice looking rig!

Thanks!  ;D

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 17, 2018, 10:26:38 am »
I realized that the Forester doesn't display non-English ID3 tags from my phone's MP3 music library.  Android Auto does it, but the music player is a bit erratic for reliable use. 
At least SXM is there for a while to keep me entertained.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 15, 2019, 11:36:29 pm »
4-month update.
I have been away three weeks of the four months and have put only round 5K kms.
One thing I enjoy the most is the adaptive cruise + lane keep assist on highways while commuting by car once a week or so.
Little features like Android auto and fast heated seats have been good compared to my MDX.  Power rear hatch is much faster than the MDX and the close & lock button came in handy at times.

I kind of wish that I went for the Sport trim with a larger infotainment screen (6.5" vs. 8"). Some buttons are a bit too small for my fat fingers to press while driving.  I had to get the software updated because it kept losing radio presets after restarting.  Last dealership visit was to pick up correct wheel lock key to match my wheel locks. 

With the no-food rule, interior has been kept relatively clean.  I put down a large towel across the back seat under my kids' car seats, so their boots can't get the grey cloth seats dirty.

I put the all seasons back on it last weekend and now the road noise has been reduced noticeably.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #45 on: April 16, 2019, 07:36:33 am »
You need one those dog car seat covers  :rofl2:

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #46 on: April 16, 2019, 07:49:30 am »
4-month update.
One thing I enjoy the most is the adaptive cruise + lane keep assist on highways while commuting by car once a week or so.
Little features like Android auto and fast heated seats have been good compared to my MDX.  Power rear hatch is much faster than the MDX and the close & lock button came in handy at times.

I kind of wish that I went for the Sport trim with a larger infotainment screen (6.5" vs. 8"). Some buttons are a bit too small for my fat fingers to press while driving.  I had to get the software updated because it kept losing radio presets after restarting.  Last dealership visit was to pick up correct wheel lock key to match my wheel locks. 

With the no-food rule, interior has been kept relatively clean.  I put down a large towel across the back seat under my kids' car seats, so their boots can't get the grey cloth seats dirty.

I put the all seasons back on it last weekend and now the road noise has been reduced noticeably.

If you are literally putting the towel under the car seats, you should know that compromises the seats' safety capability in a crash  :-[ 

Please buy a manufacturer approved and tested seat protector....I bought my Britax ones for about $20 each. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2019, 08:38:09 am by valuator »

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #47 on: April 16, 2019, 08:53:27 am »
4-month update.

If you are literally putting the towel under the car seats, you should know that compromises the seats' safety capability in a crash  :-[ 

Please buy a manufacturer approved and tested seat protector....I bought my Britax ones for about $20 each.

Is that the same for booster seats?  My daughter is in a booster seat (under the bum only) and uses the factory seat belt.  I have a towel under there because she likes to put her feet up on the seat. 

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 16, 2019, 08:59:51 am »
I'll look into the proper protector. I was too cheap at the time and we just got a perfect coloured towel as a gift so I just put it down as a temporary solution... which became a permanent solution.
Having said that, I secure the car seats very tightly to the LATCH and there's no movement when I shake the car seat around.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: April 17, 2019, 08:17:50 am »
4-month update.

Is that the same for booster seats?  My daughter is in a booster seat (under the bum only) and uses the factory seat belt.  I have a towel under there because she likes to put her feet up on the seat.

I haven't research this at all, but I would imagine the concept is the same.  The local fire departments around here often have car seat clinics in the spring, where they check to make sure your seat is installed properly and have someone on hand who is certified....always good to go get free advice from them. If you have a "baby boutique" in town, they are often certified as well.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: April 17, 2019, 08:21:10 am »
I'll look into the proper protector. I was too cheap at the time and we just got a perfect coloured towel as a gift so I just put it down as a temporary solution... which became a permanent solution.
Having said that, I secure the car seats very tightly to the LATCH and there's no movement when I shake the car seat around.

Yeah, it sounds like you are probably just fine....a lot of folks don't secure the LATCH system tight enough, which combined with the towel might be a problem.  But like I said above, a certified car seat technician is fairly easy to find and often give free advice.

BTW...congrats on the new Subaru.  LOVE the seating position and visibility.  My big beef with our Outback is the woeful infotainment system, but I think it's been updated since then.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: April 19, 2019, 07:10:18 am »
Thanks. I am mostly happy with the infotainment system in the Forester. One of the main reason I got the 2019 is the new system.

I'll check amazon for some proper seat protectors to put under the car seats. Thanks for the advice.

BTW, it was nice to see the fuel consumption at 7.0l/100km on the trip computer during some rural driving. My average over the winter has been just over 10 according to fuelly.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: January 24, 2020, 03:56:23 pm »
So after 13 months with the Forester, I'm happy with my decision.
Symmetrical AWD hasn't failed me in the recent snow storm we got in the GTA.  I was out before it started and it came down hard.  I was cruising at highway speeds on 404 north when I was going home.
Nothing was needed for the 20,000KM I have put on it other than two oil changes. 

- Eyesight is still very good. It helps tremendously with stop & go situations on both local roads and highway.  It also works great without a lot of traffic.
- Forward collision prevention saved me a few times because the car in front of me came to a sudden stop at an intersection.
- The powertrain feels peppy enough for a DD.
- LED headlights light up the road ahead VERY well.
- The cargo area has been able to accommodate everything my family threw at it, except for our camping trips where we used a roof bag to put sleeping bags and other lighter things.
- Side step space in the second row makes securing the said roof bag easier.

Dislikes:
- The hatch gets dirty quickly relative to the rest of the car.  The design of the rear must be creating a draft behind the car.
- CVT doesn't sound nice, more when it's cold. 
- I think I should have went up a trim or two for a larger infotainment screen.
- Not the car's fault, but I will spring for premium winter tires next time.  Hankook iPikes aren't as good as WS80s (of course).

All in all, I think I got off easy so far with it in terms of reliability with MY2019 being an all-new model.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #53 on: January 27, 2020, 09:13:26 pm »
The hatch gets dirty quickly relative to the rest of the car.  The design of the rear must be creating a draft behind the car.

That's pretty standard for hatches.

What about front mats?  OEM usually suck.