Author Topic: 2019 Forester Touring w/ Eyesight  (Read 13027 times)

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: 2019 Forester Touring w/ Eyesight
« Reply #20 on: December 08, 2018, 08:08:03 am »
Very nice, congrats!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #21 on: December 08, 2018, 08:24:16 am »
Congratulations on the new Subaru.  She's a beaut!

I realize your MDX was 10 years old, but was there anything wrong with it other than just age?  Were things starting to break on it at an alarming rate?

I'll be curious on your thoughts about the Forester vs the MDX with regards to levels of refinement.  The Forester is definitely a lower class of vehicle than an MDX, but being ten years newer is probably loaded with a bunch more tech and features.  I wonder how refinement compares...overall build quality, NVH, etc. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2018, 08:25:45 am »
Great car and love that colour.

Was the climate control off or where does it show you the interior temps? Glad it has dual zone, not sure I could go back to single zone again.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2018, 08:30:33 am »

Was the climate control off or where does it show you the interior temps? Glad it has dual zone, not sure I could go back to single zone again.

Our van had tri-zone, and now the truck has single zone.  The wife and I definitely fight a little bit over temperature.  When I say 'fight', I mean she turns the temperature down, and I just let her, because happy wife...

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2018, 09:35:38 am »
Boss!
Railton
Ps. Those Ipike snows you got, are they CT specify model?
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2018, 10:45:48 am »

Our van had tri-zone, and now the truck has single zone.  The wife and I definitely fight a little bit over temperature.  When I say 'fight', I mean she turns the temperature down, and I just let her, because happy wife...

Does the new Tundra only have a single zone? The older 2nd gen Tundra SR5 had manual controls but still two zones at least.

My Sequoia has two automatic zones, front and rear. I feel I just let my clothing compensate -- I like it cooler so I wear lighter clothing in the vehicle.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2018, 11:07:36 am »

Does the new Tundra only have a single zone? The older 2nd gen Tundra SR5 had manual controls but still two zones at least.

I don't want to derail somebody else's show n shine, so if you want to discuss further, I will answer in my show n shine.

https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=102588.60

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2018, 09:26:52 pm »
Can't beat that cost.  PIA time of year to receive a new vehicle because of the rush over these friggin snow tires!

That's what I thought.  X-ice3 wouldn't have been too much more $ ,but I didn't want to bother my friend too much at that point because I was already flip-flopping between costco/dealer/CT, and combination of the three.
They've been pretty good so far, but I haven't driven on the stock tires to base my judgement on.

With WS-80 on MDX, that thing felt invincible.  I could feel the SH-AWD working when I accelerate though on-ramps and corners.  With the Subaru AWD, I don't feel that sensation as much.  It snowed a bit, but most of the roads were just wet by the time I got out on the road.  I would love to try it out in a parking lot with some deep snow and packed snow.

I will be doing my own switches in the spring and going forward, so the rush won't be an issue.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 09:51:08 pm »
Congratulations on the new Subaru.  She's a beaut!

I realize your MDX was 10 years old, but was there anything wrong with it other than just age?  Were things starting to break on it at an alarming rate?

I'll be curious on your thoughts about the Forester vs the MDX with regards to levels of refinement.  The Forester is definitely a lower class of vehicle than an MDX, but being ten years newer is probably loaded with a bunch more tech and features.  I wonder how refinement compares...overall build quality, NVH, etc.

Thanks GBA.  I love the colour combo.  I laid down similar coloured bath sheet on the rear seat under the kids' Diono car seats to prevent stains on the fabric seats.  No more food/juice in my car!

I planned on driving the MDX to the ground, but the radiator blew and it cost me $1100 to replace and flush the transmission fluid a couple of times.  I had felt some rough shifts between 1st and 2nd for a little while, but it usually went away after driving for a bit.  The tranny started slipping while my wife was driving with the kids without me, and when I tried to limp it home, I pushed it too hard going up a small hill and blew the rad.
They said coolant and transmission fluid were getting mixed and told me I'll be better off getting rid of it sooner than later. 

So my search only took about a week and a half, and here we are.

I certainly will miss some of the features from the MDX, like:
- keyfob-linked memory seat/steering column/side mirrors  --> my wife is 5' and I'm 6'2" so there's a BIG difference
- auto-dimming rearview mirrors (in & out)
- sunroof vent function (Forester's large sunroof doesn't have a vent function)
- more storage and larger trunk
- SH-AWD
- better stereo
- heavier, more planted feel
- kids will miss the DVD player in the back on long trips (until we give them a tablet)
- no car payment

Things I like about Forester compared to MDX
- NVH has improved slightly from MDX to Forester
- It feels much more solid going over bumps and train tracks.
- The suspension is tighter and less bouncy - less body roll in corners and ramps
- EyeSight -- adaptive cruise works really well, LKAS bounces me around a couple of times then tells me to pay attention
- proximity entry and push-button start -- the sensor is inside the door handle so I don't even have to press a button on the handle to unlock. There's a little area to touch to lock the doors.
- Power tailgate has height memory and is much faster to open and close
- faster to pick up speed in town with lighter body -- I haven't done any hard 'send', but it's more than adequate for DD
- Android Auto works pretty well. I hope it'll be wireless for my next car.
- 2 USB ports have enough power to charge my GS9 faster than it drains using AA
- Most importantly, I feel safe and don't worry about it breaking down

Build quality of Forester is very solid.  I don't feel any creaks or rattles, and everything feels solid including switches and buttons. 
« Last Edit: December 08, 2018, 10:03:08 pm by carcrazed »

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 10:00:40 pm »

I may miss the tri-zone from the MDX, too.

The climate control was off in the photo.  The interior temperature shows up in the smaller upper screen when you turn the control or go through different screen types. I set it to 21 and forget it.

Boss!
Railton
Ps. Those Ipike snows you got, are they CT specify model?

I think so.  They're similar to W419s, but the tread pattern is slightly different.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2018, 10:06:04 pm »
With WS-80 on MDX, that thing felt invincible.  I could feel the SH-AWD working when I accelerate though on-ramps and corners.  With the Subaru AWD, I don't feel that sensation as much

Because it's not remotely the same AWD system as the Acura.  So you lost your rad, but never had a component failure in the SH-AWD system?  If not that is amazing.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2018, 12:38:57 am »
With WS-80 on MDX, that thing felt invincible.  I could feel the SH-AWD working when I accelerate though on-ramps and corners.  With the Subaru AWD, I don't feel that sensation as much

Because it's not remotely the same AWD system as the Acura.  So you lost your rad, but never had a component failure in the SH-AWD system?  If not that is amazing.

Yeah I wasn't expecting Subaru's Symmetrical AWD to work the same way as SH-AWD.
SH-AWD was working flawlessly.  I suppose I could have avoid the whole issue had I flushed the tranny fluid a couple of years ago?  It was last done 3 years, 55K km ago.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #32 on: December 09, 2018, 01:13:50 am »
Can't beat that cost.  PIA time of year to receive a new vehicle because of the rush over these friggin snow tires!
we got our Sorento mid-Dec (2016)...fortunately, they had a deal and we got 50% winter tire package, so we've got 18" X-IceIII tires on 18" steelies...it was $650 installed...their "regular" price was more than i would have paid at Costco, but their 50% off deal was a good price.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: December 09, 2018, 11:19:06 am »
we got our Sorento mid-Dec (2016)...fortunately, they had a deal and we got 50% winter tire package, so we've got 18" X-IceIII tires on 18" steelies...it was $650 installed...their "regular" price was more than i would have paid at Costco, but their 50% off deal was a good price.
Sure.. Make me feel like a sucker [emoji14]

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #34 on: December 09, 2018, 11:34:51 am »

Amid all the stress and confusion of negotiating and buying a new car you are never going to win in every category.  Relax and enjoy the new ride!   ;D
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #35 on: December 09, 2018, 05:27:24 pm »
Amen!!!  ;)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #36 on: December 09, 2018, 07:20:29 pm »
lol, that's not what i meant.

what i meant was, a couple of brands (i think it was Ford and Nissan?) were offering free winter tire packages with the purchase of a new vehicle...the Kia dealer offered me 50% off to sort of meet them half way...i think their $1300 regular price is bit high, but at $650, a relative bargain (likely just covered their costs).

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 09, 2018, 08:13:16 pm »
lol, that's not what i meant.

what i meant was, a couple of brands (i think it was Ford and Nissan?) were offering free winter tire packages with the purchase of a new vehicle...the Kia dealer offered me 50% off to sort of meet them half way...i think their $1300 regular price is bit high, but at $650, a relative bargain (likely just covered their costs).
I know. I was joking ;)

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: December 09, 2018, 08:22:07 pm »

Amid all the stress and confusion of negotiating and buying a new car you are never going to win in every category.  Relax and enjoy the new ride!   ;D
Yeah I am enjoying it now. Range was 400km when I left home in the morning, it was still 400km when came home after about a 80km-drive.
With an un-broken engine, I'm feeling it'll be a big improvement over the MDX.
During my second day of highway driving today, I noticed that the steering was a bit more sensitive than I'm used to. It needed more micro adjustments which is maybe expected from electric steering & lighter car.
A YouTube reviewer, Family Wheels, mentioned this when I was watching his review last night. Now I am almost looking for that feeling when I'm on the highway lol

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #39 on: December 09, 2018, 10:02:09 pm »
New Forester should be a good jump in terms of fuel economy.  The new ones are pretty good.  Subaru's really improved their fuel economy in the last while by using CVTs, and vastly improved engine management systems.

(Thanks Toyota!)