Author Topic: Ahhh good old dealers.  (Read 3488 times)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Ahhh good old dealers.
« on: December 06, 2018, 06:47:25 pm »
Took the Ridgeline in today to get the passenger airbag replaced (Takata recall). As usual service advisor tries to sell me a few services (timing belt, scotchgaurd etc lol). He looks at windshield and quizes me on service. He mentions "my"shop doesn't even record date/mileage reminders to get LOF. I said I will have a stern word with the people responsible (myself lol). I pick up truck this afternoon and they did a free inspection. They note I have winter tires. Thanks.  Then they record that they have topped all tires to 35 psi. I show the service advisor and asked if he had any comments. He looked puzzled and answers no. I then asked him what the proper inflation pressures are for a 2011 Ridgeline. Again blank stare. I said you should go find out.  Finally I let him off the hook and let him know its 32 psi and if a shop can't get simple tire pressure right then no way will they be doing my timing belt. Unless it's a super good deal! ;D

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Ahhh good old dealers.
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2018, 08:51:17 pm »
Geez, really sharp group there.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:46 pm »
Took the Ridgeline in today to get the passenger airbag replaced (Takata recall). As usual service advisor tries to sell me a few services (timing belt, scotchgaurd etc lol). He looks at windshield and quizes me on service. He mentions "my"shop doesn't even record date/mileage reminders to get LOF. I said I will have a stern word with the people responsible (myself lol). I pick up truck this afternoon and they did a free inspection. They note I have winter tires. Thanks.  Then they record that they have topped all tires to 35 psi. I show the service advisor and asked if he had any comments. He looked puzzled and answers no. I then asked him what the proper inflation pressures are for a 2011 Ridgeline. Again blank stare. I said you should go find out.  Finally I let him off the hook and let him know its 32 psi and if a shop can't get simple tire pressure right then no way will they be doing my timing belt. Unless it's a super good deal! * ;D
* if we kill your engine we will give you a new free one from a scrap yard of our choice  ;D
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2018, 09:16:21 pm »
Uggggg....
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2018, 09:30:49 pm »
Only if there was a spot on the car that they could double check the correct pressure. Oh wait.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2018, 11:12:40 pm »
Only if there was a spot on the car that they could double check the correct pressure. Oh wait.

:D
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2018, 12:03:11 am »
easier to ram 35 psi in there. It keeps the TPMS light from coming on. ;D

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #7 on: December 18, 2018, 12:14:42 pm »

:laugh:

They could always consult the tire company guide and see what is listed under the heading:  "smooth, no bump ride".   :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-440
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #8 on: December 18, 2018, 03:41:12 pm »
Maybe your running Hercules tires  :run:

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2018, 07:08:26 pm »
My wife needed a new vehicle recently.  We tried a bunch of things, more or less settled on a Crosstrek.  Found a used (2016) one at the local Toyota dealer.  Sales guy was completely low key, low pressure, both him and the finance guy offered the extras but didn’t push them. 

I was quite impressed. 2016 Crosstrek Touring.  50,000 km.  A nice beast.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline jamie1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Acura TSX, 2014 Jeep Cherokee Limited ADI,2007 Mazda MX-5 Miata PRHT GT
« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2018, 11:50:40 pm »
Took the Ridgeline in today to get the passenger airbag replaced (Takata recall). As usual service advisor tries to sell me a few services (timing belt, scotchgaurd etc lol). He looks at windshield and quizes me on service. He mentions "my"shop doesn't even record date/mileage reminders to get LOF. I said I will have a stern word with the people responsible (myself lol). I pick up truck this afternoon and they did a free inspection. They note I have winter tires. Thanks.  Then they record that they have topped all tires to 35 psi. I show the service advisor and asked if he had any comments. He looked puzzled and answers no. I then asked him what the proper inflation pressures are for a 2011 Ridgeline. Again blank stare. I said you should go find out.  Finally I let him off the hook and let him know its 32 psi and if a shop can't get simple tire pressure right then no way will they be doing my timing belt. Unless it's a super good deal! ;D
Wow really? That's your issue, 3PSI over? 3PSI over is not going to hurt anything. As you stated in a later post, it will keep the TPMS light from coming on when the temp drops. Most people today cannot put air in their tires when the light comes on or will :censor: because "i just had my vehicle at the dealer last week and now my TPMS light is on." Hell most cannot even brush the snow off their park sensors even when the dash warning says to do that exactly. You must have rushed home to post this. Wait the guys on autos.ca find out the dealer put 3psi too much in my tires. ::)
Enjoying the Alberta advantage

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2018, 12:04:56 am »

Wait the guys on autos.ca find out the dealer put 3psi too much in my tires. ::)

Well, I guess I'm the minority.  But I (sorta) agree with him.

If the chimps can't even get the most basic, simplest, easiest things right like the correct tire pressure (all it takes is looking at the door placard), then what else will they screw up?  Leave your oil a liter short?  A liter too much? etc. etc. etc.

That's my mindset.  YMMV.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: December 19, 2018, 12:14:32 am »
I think you miss the point.  The dealer has big ad billboards draped all over the service area proclaiming that they are the "Honda Experts" and service elsewhere is risky. I expect a Honda "expert" to know what the proper PSI of a Honda Ridgeline tire is. The point is they don't. Does this also mean they sorta guess on the torque values when reinstalling a cylinder head? Who know but an expert to me knows. To me it shows laziness ,ignorance or incompetence.

I had a similar issue when I bought tires for my Dodge Dakota from a highly regarded Michelin dealer in town. 265/70-16 M/S. The dealer wrote down "inflated to 40 psi". Great I guess, problem being that on the sidewall it said max tire pressure 35 psi. When I pointed it out to the manager he said "wow, I never knew that". Tire expert my ass.

If I am going to be on my own and have to double check the work of others I mights as well just go to Costco and get the best price.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2018, 08:12:36 am »
This is a silly complaint...
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2018, 10:16:33 am »
It is not a complaint per se. It is an observation that confirms why the only time to visit a dealer service area is while under warranty. If you are going to charge $150/hour you better know what you are doing. Fortunately it creates a vacuum where a good independent can still compete.

While waiting for them to bring the old Ridgeline around the service advisor had one last go by offering a fluid change special: Transmission, engine LOF, rear differential (VTM-4). I asked him "what about about the transfer case ? ". His reply was something along the miles of "Sir the Ridgeline is AWD, it does not have a transfer case. OK then thanks for letting me know  ::)

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2018, 11:35:16 am »
In my opinion, they don't need to 'know' the correct pressure for every car, but they DO need to know where to look for it.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2018, 11:41:14 am »
In my opinion, they don't need to 'know' the correct pressure for every car, but they DO need to know where to look for it.

Fair enough.  Later that night when I checked they were still all at 32 so I doubt they even touched them. ;D In their defence the new Ridgeline is 35.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #17 on: December 19, 2018, 12:40:42 pm »

Fair enough.  Later that night when I checked they were still all at 32 so I doubt they even touched them. ;D In their defence the new Ridgeline is 35.
Have you had your pressure gauge calibrate?

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #18 on: December 19, 2018, 01:06:32 pm »
I also strongly beleive in dealer service for recent vehicles, but sometimes my faith gets tested.

Here's a couple for jamie to consider:

Honda dealer installs my winter wheels on the Odyssey. Summer setup is oem alloys, winter is oem steelies with oem hubcaps and oem nuts with those little rings to hold the wheel covers. Everything is in plain view in the vast trunk. Wife comes home, and I spot a missing wheel cover. First I go  ???, then said "No, they can't be THAT stupid...". Yes, they had installed the Honda wheel covers with the nuts from the alloys, ignoring the "Honda" clear bag with all the ringed nuts in the trunk. ALL Hondas have the same type of wheel covers. Dealership re-bolted all the wheels properly and supplied a new wheel cover, no charge.

VW dealer over-torqued Golf wheels to the point that no tool in my possession could loosen up a single wheel bolt. Tires swapped at dealership at no cost, and were torqued by hand ... at my request.

Repeat with Audi dealer, except that the wheel lock broke because of the excess torque. Dealer supplied a new oem wheel lock kit and suggested I don't use it.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #19 on: December 19, 2018, 02:08:42 pm »
I also strongly beleive in dealer service for recent vehicles, but sometimes my faith gets tested.

Here's a couple for jamie to consider:

Honda dealer installs my winter wheels on the Odyssey. Summer setup is oem alloys, winter is oem steelies with oem hubcaps and oem nuts with those little rings to hold the wheel covers. Everything is in plain view in the vast trunk. Wife comes home, and I spot a missing wheel cover. First I go  ???, then said "No, they can't be THAT stupid...". Yes, they had installed the Honda wheel covers with the nuts from the alloys, ignoring the "Honda" clear bag with all the ringed nuts in the trunk. ALL Hondas have the same type of wheel covers. Dealership re-bolted all the wheels properly and supplied a new wheel cover, no charge.

VW dealer over-torqued Golf wheels to the point that no tool in my possession could loosen up a single wheel bolt. Tires swapped at dealership at no cost, and were torqued by hand ... at my request.

Repeat with Audi dealer, except that the wheel lock broke because of the excess torque. Dealer supplied a new oem wheel lock kit and suggested I don't use it.

Regarding the over-torqued wheels, I would have had them replace the wheel studs too.  There's no telling how much they've been stretched, which compromises their holding capability when torqued properly.