Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52755 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #140 on: May 08, 2021, 12:11:46 pm »
Nice looking vehicle, I'm sure they'll sell if the price is reasonable.

Still weird I can haul lumber easier with my Vibe than with this

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #141 on: May 08, 2021, 01:40:49 pm »
No auto climate control on the base model though. Yes I have an obsession but I HATE fumbling with HVAC controls. Oh too hot, switch. Oh too cold, switch. Oh it suddenly warmed up outside, switch vent mode, go to higher fan speed. Arrrrgh.

Too bad the middle trim comes with leather seats.

#firstworldproblems

How many times did you have a windshield fog up in your Genesis? Right.  :P ;)
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: May 08, 2021, 01:54:03 pm »
No auto climate control on the base model though. Yes I have an obsession but I HATE fumbling with HVAC controls. Oh too hot, switch. Oh too cold, switch. Oh it suddenly warmed up outside, switch vent mode, go to higher fan speed. Arrrrgh.

Agreed. There are a few "first world problem" features that I cannot live without:

-Auto climate control: for the exact reasons you mentioned.
-Sunroof: nice for open air experience in warmer months, brings in light in darker winter months.
-LED/HID headlights: bright, crisp white light
-Leather/pleather seating: less dust and easier to keep clean.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #143 on: May 08, 2021, 02:08:23 pm »

#firstworldproblems

I don't think auto climate control has anything to do with windshields fogging up.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: May 08, 2021, 02:17:37 pm »

#firstworldproblems

I don't think auto climate control has anything to do with windshields fogging up.

Does too. It directs airflow onto the windshield if it senses reduced transparency, I guess, whatever is the magic, I've never had a foggy windshield and the climate is always on auto.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #145 on: May 08, 2021, 02:26:09 pm »

#firstworldproblems

Does too. It directs airflow onto the windshield if it senses reduced transparency, I guess, whatever is the magic, I've never had a foggy windshield and the climate is always on auto.
i don't think that's it...i believe it uses a humidity sensor in the cabin and turns on the A/C to pull moisture out of the air to help "dry" the air...this way, it is blowing drier air onto the windows to help clear them (or prevent them from getting fogged up in the first place)...both our Kia vehicles have this feature and the windows NEVER get foggy...if it is muggy and raining out (when the windows would typically get fogged up), you can see the system activate as the "defrost" icon illuminates in the HVAC area.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 04:58:33 pm by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: May 08, 2021, 04:31:35 pm »

#firstworldproblems

i don't think that's it...i believe it uses a humidity sensor in the cabin and turns on the A/C to pull moisture out of the air to help "dry" the air...this way, it is blowing drier air onto the windows to help clear them (or prevent them from getting fogged up in the first place)...both our Kia vehicles have this feature and the windows NEVER get foggy...if it is muddy and raining out (when the windows would typically get fogged up), you can see the system activate as the "defrost" icon illuminates in the HVAC area.

I'm with dirty with this one as there is no way the car is checking for reduced transparency.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: May 08, 2021, 05:00:25 pm »

#firstworldproblems

i don't think that's it...i believe it uses a humidity sensor in the cabin and turns on the A/C to pull moisture out of the air to help "dry" the air...this way, it is blowing drier air onto the windows to help clear them (or prevent them from getting fogged up in the first place)...both our Kia vehicles have this feature and the windows NEVER get foggy...if it is muddy and raining out (when the windows would typically get fogged up), you can see the system activate as the "defrost" icon illuminates in the HVAC area.

I'm with dirty with this one as there is no way the car is checking for reduced transparency.
the auto defog feature is actually really good (it's a safety feature too)...i do believe it's part of the auto climate control system, so i can see why Dkaz likes that (aside from the constant temp)...it's a feature i'd like to have going forward too.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: May 08, 2021, 05:49:11 pm »

#firstworldproblems

the auto defog feature is actually really good (it's a safety feature too)...i do believe it's part of the auto climate control system, so i can see why Dkaz likes that (aside from the constant temp)...it's a feature i'd like to have going forward too.
Don't know what it uses, a humidity sensor inside the cabin or possibly that laser distance sensing thing, or rain sensing, like I said, I'm not sure. The Genesis however is the first car I bought new where defogging would work so flawlessly. It's a big safety deal too as I've driven cars where in the middle of 401 everything would "fog up" and then I'd look for knobs switching temp, airflow direction and fan speed. Having it all handled automatically is a luxury I'd miss in the base model Cruz in question. IIRC the base Palisade also has manual air which is ridiculous, given how some if not all compact cars now get it in all trims.
« Last Edit: May 08, 2021, 05:54:21 pm by EV Dan »

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: May 08, 2021, 06:19:34 pm »
It's a big safety deal too as I've driven cars where in the middle of 401 everything would "fog up" and then I'd look for knobs switching temp, airflow direction and fan speed.

Or just turn on the A/C which is a dehumidifier. Simple fix and probably what your Genesis is already doing, just automatically.

I also think when you turn on most if not all auto climate systems, the A/C is on the ready unless you can manually turn if off which I can do in my GTI.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #150 on: May 08, 2021, 07:32:32 pm »

#firstworldproblems

i don't think that's it...i believe it uses a humidity sensor in the cabin and turns on the A/C to pull moisture out of the air to help "dry" the air...this way, it is blowing drier air onto the windows to help clear them (or prevent them from getting fogged up in the first place)...both our Kia vehicles have this feature and the windows NEVER get foggy...if it is muggy and raining out (when the windows would typically get fogged up), you can see the system activate as the "defrost" icon illuminates in the HVAC area.
My Mazda 5 doesn’t have a humidity sensor but it goes to windshield defog/foot vent by default at lower temperatures. I occasionally have to manually turn on windshield defog when it’s raining and not too warm or cold.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: May 08, 2021, 07:44:56 pm »
Or just turn on the A/C which is a dehumidifier. Simple fix and probably what your Genesis is already doing, just automatically.
^^ this is what it does...it's a great feature.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: May 08, 2021, 08:42:20 pm »

That and it switches airflow to windshield vents and turns them up to full blast once fogging is detected and gradually back down a minute or so later  8)  It's one of those things that still impresses me with this car.
In winter the default vents are the ones warming up the floor, and they turn on only after the engine reaches a certain temp, so when they start blowing the air is warm. It's a really smart system.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: May 08, 2021, 10:46:24 pm »

That and it switches airflow to windshield vents and turns them up to full blast once fogging is detected and gradually back down a minute or so later  8)  It's one of those things that still impresses me with this car.
In winter the default vents are the ones warming up the floor, and they turn on only after the engine reaches a certain temp, so when they start blowing the air is warm. It's a really smart system.
yes, ours work the same way, but i think that's how all ACC systems work...there's nothing worse than the blower fan blowing cold air on your feet in the winter mornings.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #154 on: May 10, 2021, 12:33:14 am »
Mine blows at the windshield at the lowest fan speed. Once it warms up a bit, it goes into foot/windshield mode.

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: May 12, 2021, 08:20:24 am »
you can now pre-order

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2022-santa-cruz/pre-order
you're late to the party (see post 148 on the previous page).

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #157 on: May 12, 2021, 10:10:03 am »
I don't expect this is the kind of vehicle many people are willing to preorder without knowing the price.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #158 on: May 12, 2021, 10:27:06 am »
I don't expect this is the kind of vehicle many people are willing to preorder without knowing the price.

X2....BUUUTTTT, there was a wait list for the PT Cruiser as well. No accounting for taste.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: May 12, 2021, 12:32:38 pm »
aside from some specific exceptions (likely for the super rich), i can't see how any vehicle would be preordered without any idea of the price.