Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52769 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #120 on: April 23, 2021, 01:48:35 pm »
If its rated for 5,000 lbs, it should be able to tow 5,000 lbs safely.  I'd be really disappointed if all I could feel like I could safely tow was a couple of jet skis with a vehicle that is rated for 5,000lbs.

Its a Hyundai toy truck....anything over a few sea doos or quads is all I would do with it. Same with a Ridgeline. For me its not a matter of safety, its that whole transaxle going boom and costing all the money.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #121 on: April 23, 2021, 01:50:54 pm »
I"m glad they put the 7-pin in.  Makes it easier to install a trailer brake controller if you ever do decide to tow a trailer large enough to have brakes.  All you need to do is run the blue wire back from the brake controller to the plug.  Heck, it's possible the blue brake wire is already routed forward to the engine bay.  Maybe they've even put a port in so you don't even really have to wire in the controller, it just plugs in with the right adapter.  BTW, pretty much every single mid-size truck comes this way.  They're not equipped with brake controllers, but they're more often than not wired for them, c/w 7-pin connectors. 

Since when is making a vehicle MORE capable ever a bad thing?  Good for Hyundai for actually doing their research and recognizing what people who tow may want/need.  In this case a 7-pin connector.

BTW, provincial rules vary, but the rule of thumb is if a trailer has a gross weight of more than 1500lbs, it needs brakes.  My 10' pop-up has brakes, and I would consider it easily towable by something like the Santa Cruz. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #122 on: April 23, 2021, 01:52:05 pm »
If its rated for 5,000 lbs, it should be able to tow 5,000 lbs safely.  I'd be really disappointed if all I could feel like I could safely tow was a couple of jet skis with a vehicle that is rated for 5,000lbs.

Its a Hyundai toy truck....anything over a few sea doos or quads is all I would do with it. Same with a Ridgeline. For me its not a matter of safety, its that whole transaxle going boom and costing all the money.

I tow my boat with my MDX at times, its about 4500lbs with the trailer.   I don't know what the issue would be.  Again, if its designed right, why do you need to worry about the transaxle.  Keep under the tow rating and tow safely.  I wouldn't worry about the transaxle.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 01:53:40 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: April 23, 2021, 01:53:06 pm »

I tow my boat (4500lbs) with my MDX at times.  I don't know what the issue would be.  Again, if its designed right, why do you need to worry about the transaxle.  Keep under the tow rating and tow safely.  I wouldn't worry about the transaxle.

Same goes for the Ridgeline.  That's a transaxle vehicle.  I've never heard of a Ridgeline being an unreliable tow vehicle.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #124 on: April 23, 2021, 01:55:05 pm »
^ Ya, I don't get the concern. 

I towed thousands of kms with our old Pilot, know for a weak transaxle.  Never an issue.  Use as intended and don't worry about what you may be putting extra wear on.  You can't cover off everything.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #125 on: April 23, 2021, 01:59:28 pm »

I tow my boat (4500lbs) with my MDX at times.  I don't know what the issue would be.  Again, if its designed right, why do you need to worry about the transaxle.  Keep under the tow rating and tow safely.  I wouldn't worry about the transaxle.

Same goes for the Ridgeline.  That's a transaxle vehicle.  I've never heard of a Ridgeline being an unreliable tow vehicle.

Well having owned a Ridgeline now for over 10 years I wouldn't want to tow much more than about 3500 lbs with it, just not enjoyable. Between wringing out that V6 and the transmission sitting sideways .Get ready for screaming in 3rd gear at 100 km/h. Can it do it? Sure I guess but I just feel so bad doing it.. The Hyundai is not going to feel better so yeah maybe 2500lbs max? My old rule of thumb was to divide the max towing by half and that is a good reasonable number for relaxed trouble free towing.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #126 on: April 23, 2021, 02:07:20 pm »

Well having owned a Ridgeline now for over 10 years I wouldn't want to tow much more than about 3500 lbs with it, just not enjoyable. Between wringing out that V6 and the transmission sitting sideways .Get ready for screaming in 3rd gear at 100 km/h. Can it do it? Sure I guess but I just feel so bad doing it.. The Hyundai is not going to feel better so yeah maybe 2500lbs max? My old rule of thumb was to divide the max towing by half and that is a good reasonable number for relaxed trouble free towing.

I'm kind of on that 50% of towing capacity for safety and enjoyment. Again, were not talking about 1 ton duallies here.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: April 23, 2021, 02:07:38 pm »

That's a general rule of thumb for almost any tow vehicle. 

My Tundra can tow 9800lbs, and I HAVE towed that much with it, it's just not something that was enjoyable, and I wouldn't want to do it often, or for large trips. 

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #128 on: April 23, 2021, 02:20:51 pm »
Some it is just mass, not fun when the tail tries wagging the dog

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #129 on: April 23, 2021, 02:32:39 pm »

yea, that's kind of where i was going...i mean, sure, it can tow 5000 lbs, but how will it feel on the highway at 110 km/hr...is it going to be white knuckle driving, watching for sway, hard to stop???...again, i don't have any experience with towing, but from the numerous videos i've seen on YouTube of tow fails, i just think you're better safe than sorry.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #130 on: April 23, 2021, 03:25:38 pm »
Even someone who may only pull their trailer 3 times a year and otherwise commute or at worse take their kids to the rink?
maybe it's just me, but some things, i don't think you should skimp on...if you're just going to pull a small utility trailer or the jet skis a few times a year, that's fine...but if you really need to tow something bigger 3x a year, i'd likely just rent something for the day...all it takes is one accident to :censor: everything up.

You're calling this an awesome truck but dissuading people from looking at it. Which is it?  :P Why don't people :censor: trust engineers? It can probably tow more but the company lawyers and accountants want to minimize the lawsuits and warranty claims so they set it at a low 5,000 lb. There is a :censor: safety factor in there.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 23, 2021, 03:26:37 pm »
Even someone who may only pull their trailer 3 times a year and otherwise commute or at worse take their kids to the rink?
maybe it's just me, but some things, i don't think you should skimp on...if you're just going to pull a small utility trailer or the jet skis a few times a year, that's fine...but if you really need to tow something bigger 3x a year, i'd likely just rent something for the day...all it takes is one accident to :censor: everything up.

You're calling this an awesome truck but dissuading people from looking at it. Which is it?  :P Why don't people :censor: trust engineers? It can probably tow more but the company lawyers and accountants want to minimize the lawsuits and warranty claims so they set it at a low 5,000 lb. There is a :censor: safety factor in there.

Remind me again, how much fun was it towing at max weight with your Sequoia?  ;D :rofl2:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 23, 2021, 03:27:17 pm »
yea, that's kind of where i was going...i mean, sure, it can tow 5000 lbs, but how will it feel on the highway at 110 km/hr...is it going to be white knuckle driving, watching for sway, hard to stop???...again, i don't have any experience with towing, but from the numerous videos i've seen on YouTube of tow fails, i just think you're better safe than sorry.

Sway bars and trailer brakes, have you even towed anything big before? Jeebus.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 23, 2021, 03:28:22 pm »

Remind me again, how much fun was it towing at max weight with your Sequoia?  ;D :rofl2:

I had no problems with it. The problem is we overloaded the GVWR of the Sequoia which was a legal and insurance no no.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: April 23, 2021, 08:44:30 pm »
You're calling this an awesome truck but dissuading people from looking at it. Which is it?  :P
i never said that (i don't mind it, but i never said it was awesome)...and it's not a truck...it's a compact crossover with an open bed in place of the "trunk".

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #135 on: May 07, 2021, 05:08:05 pm »
you can order one for delivery late summer 3 packages

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2022-santa-cruz/pre-order

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: May 07, 2021, 05:31:58 pm »
you can order one for delivery late summer 3 packages

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2022-santa-cruz/pre-order
kind of dumb to have a pre-order with no pricing announced yet.

regarding the trim levels, the "base" trim (Preferred AWD) is actually very well equipped.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: May 07, 2021, 08:59:27 pm »
No auto climate control on the base model though. Yes I have an obsession but I HATE fumbling with HVAC controls. Oh too hot, switch. Oh too cold, switch. Oh it suddenly warmed up outside, switch vent mode, go to higher fan speed. Arrrrgh.

Too bad the middle trim comes with leather seats.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: May 08, 2021, 08:50:48 am »
No auto climate control on the base model though. Yes I have an obsession but I HATE fumbling with HVAC controls. Oh too hot, switch. Oh too cold, switch. Oh it suddenly warmed up outside, switch vent mode, go to higher fan speed. Arrrrgh.

fair enough, but it still has a pretty decent amount of features for a "base" trim...i don't mind leather seats though, easier to keep clean.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #139 on: May 08, 2021, 11:43:08 am »

#firstworldproblems
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.