Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52771 times)

Offline Ontariodriver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +39/-240
    • View Profile

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #101 on: April 17, 2021, 12:20:44 am »
FWIW, I watched the TFL video, and the bed has a built in retractable tonneau cover which will keep gear dry and relatively secure.  The 'bed' has loads of tie downs which could theoretically increase its usefulness (carrying a stove or dishwasher home from the store, for example).  It also has decent payload - close to 1600lbs, of which 660lbs (numbers all approximate) is useable in the bed.  That ain't shabby for a small vehicle.  You'll fill the bed with volume before you ever run out of payload.

Speaking of, I could see a vehicle like this being useful for somebody who has a plot in a community garden.  You could fill the bed with half a yard of too soil and drive it to your plot.

1600 lb.  :o You can tow a 5000 lb trailer with a 500 lb tongue weight and still have 1100 lb of payload for passengers and cargo. That's insane for something like this. I would've expected 1000-1200 lb which is about Tacoma's payload.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #102 on: April 17, 2021, 12:49:17 am »
so with all the talk about this thing, i've watched a ton of "first look" videos...it's kind of growing on me...not sure i'd buy one, but i'm warming up to it...it's kind of neat.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 17, 2021, 10:45:23 am »
It is definitely a unique product offering. I see it for someone who only needs occasional use for a truck bed. The bed does look quite small, but I supposed adequate for someone picking up a small load of garden supplies or trip to the dump. The payload and towing capacity are impressive though.

Interesting to see some of the things they copied from the Ridgeline like the in-bed trunk and flip up rear seats. That trunk in the bed of the Santa Cruz looks really shallow though and the back seats don't look as roomy as the Ridgeline.

My dad recently purchased a Gen 2 Ridgeline (also had a Gen 1), and I would say the Ridgeline is definitely more of a midsize competitor, with the Santa Cruz looking to be quite a bit smaller, without having looked up the official dimensions.

Will be interesting to see Ford's offering in this segment with the upcoming Maverick.
« Last Edit: April 17, 2021, 10:47:39 am by marcus_go »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 17, 2021, 01:25:23 pm »
My dad recently purchased a Gen 2 Ridgeline (also had a Gen 1), and I would say the Ridgeline is definitely more of a midsize competitor, with the Santa Cruz looking to be quite a bit smaller, without having looked up the official dimensions.
yes, the Ridgeline is a mid-size and the Santa Cruz is a compact...the Ridgeline is about 15 inches longer than the Santa Cruz so it's a decent amount larger in length and width (and bed size)...the Santa Cruz's bed length at 51 inches is an inch longer than the one the Ford Explorer Sport Trac had...yes, the bed is on the smaller side, but likely fine for the target demographic...those who need a large bed, will just get a truck...this isn't trying to attract actual truck buyers (as they will need a truck).

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #105 on: April 17, 2021, 08:57:28 pm »
I wonder how well this relatively light unibody will do pulling 5000 lbs.  Perhaps a twist or two?

Good question. Honda beefed up the Ridgeline quite a bit to get to 5000lbs. With a heavier weight and longer wheelbase 5000lbs is really pushing it with the Ridgeline.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 17, 2021, 10:01:35 pm »
Yeah, 5000 lb seems optimistic considering how much smaller it is than the Ridgeline. I am thinking 3500-4000 lb tops.

Also, I read it will have a dual clutch transmission. I though most manufactures shy away from a DCT for anything that is subjected to towing duty.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 17, 2021, 11:01:58 pm »
Yeah, 5000 lb seems optimistic considering how much smaller it is than the Ridgeline. I am thinking 3500-4000 lb tops.

Also, I read it will have a dual clutch transmission. I though most manufactures shy away from a DCT for anything that is subjected to towing duty.
only the turbo model has the dual clutch (assume a top trim spec)...the non-turbo model uses a conventional 8 speed auto...however, i'd assume the 5000 lb towing capacity would be with the more powerful engine...i'm not sure about towing being hard on the dual clutch (i don't know enough about that part).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 18, 2021, 12:22:55 am »
for Canada, it looks like we're only getting the 2.5 Turbo with AWD...i'm guessing there will be limited trims (1 or 2?)...perhaps they are trying to limit the trims here as they're not sure how well it will sell...i get the AWD part, but i think a well equipped non-turbo model would have been good too.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #109 on: April 18, 2021, 08:28:56 am »
for Canada, it looks like we're only getting the 2.5 Turbo with AWD...i'm guessing there will be limited trims (1 or 2?)...perhaps they are trying to limit the trims here as they're not sure how well it will sell...i get the AWD part, but i think a well equipped non-turbo model would have been good too.

Agreed, and it would lower the entry level price point.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #110 on: April 18, 2021, 09:32:54 am »

only the turbo model has the dual clutch (assume a top trim spec)...the non-turbo model uses a conventional 8 speed auto...however, i'd assume the 5000 lb towing capacity would be with the more powerful engine...i'm not sure about towing being hard on the dual clutch (i don't know enough about that part).

I don't know enough about that either.  Though I doubt anyone that routinely needs to tow 5000 lb would be seriously looking at the Santa Cruz.  It's basically a modern Korean El Camino - not a work truck.  Still, if they're going to make the claim, they better be able to back it up with durability.  I suspect they have given that due consideration, as they don't want to be buying everyone new transmissions.

My one real concern is back seat space, which looks fairly cramped and vertical - almost like what you'd see in the second row of a not too big pickup truck.  At least that was my impression looking at the vids.  I'm willing to bet far more customers will routinely use the back seat than use the bed.

I almost kinda wish they had made this thing a wagon. I saw in one of the vids where they were showing how you can carry a bicycle in the bed - with the front wheel removed.  Meanwhile my wife's Fit can carry my bike whole.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 18, 2021, 10:18:35 am »
 Here is a TFL video that tries to answer the question . Real Truck  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-fKzm_T_w
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 18, 2021, 11:35:16 am »
Here is a TFL video that tries to answer the question . Real Truck  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4D-fKzm_T_w
yea, one weakness of dual clutch transmissions is typically the more challenging off road stuff (they tend to overheat)...i think the conventional 8 speed auto would have been the better choice to use with both engines...my guess is, they wanted this to be more "unique" and "premium"...it's also unlikely anyone would take one of these in those types of conditions as well...TFL has some courses they test stuff on, so we'll find out how good it is in a few months.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 22, 2021, 07:36:17 pm »
Even though it has the claimed towing capacity, I'm surprised there's the 7 pin trailer hookup back there.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 22, 2021, 10:48:50 pm »
Even though it has the claimed towing capacity, I'm surprised there's the 7 pin trailer hookup back there.
it doesn't have trailer brake controls, anti sway and other good things for real towing...i'd still only suggest utility trailers or maybe jet skis (light stuff)...just means you won't be straining the vehicle that's only rated to tow 2000 lbs if you actually tow 2000 lbs.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: April 22, 2021, 11:42:49 pm »
it doesn't have trailer brake controls, anti sway and other good things for real towing...i'd still only suggest utility trailers or maybe jet skis (light stuff)...just means you won't be straining the vehicle that's only rated to tow 2000 lbs if you actually tow 2000 lbs.

Many vehicles with a 7 pin hookup don't have brake controllers built in. F150, Ram 1500, and Silverado/Sierra 1500 require a tow package to get a trailer brake controller.

I prefer sway bars which is only required if the trailer exceeds 50% of the tow vehicle's weight. All trailer owners should know how to properly load a trailer anyway. UHauls and lighter tent trailers only come with 4 pin connectors so there's no way a vehicle's electronic anti sway system is going to stop those from swaying.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: April 23, 2021, 12:17:27 am »
i know, i'm just saying, i still wouldn't suggest this for serious towing...get a proper truck for that.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: April 23, 2021, 09:36:41 am »
Even someone who may only pull their trailer 3 times a year and otherwise commute or at worse take their kids to the rink?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 23, 2021, 01:37:04 pm »
Even someone who may only pull their trailer 3 times a year and otherwise commute or at worse take their kids to the rink?
maybe it's just me, but some things, i don't think you should skimp on...if you're just going to pull a small utility trailer or the jet skis a few times a year, that's fine...but if you really need to tow something bigger 3x a year, i'd likely just rent something for the day...all it takes is one accident to :censor: everything up.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #119 on: April 23, 2021, 01:42:14 pm »
If its rated for 5,000 lbs, it should be able to tow 5,000 lbs safely.  I'd be really disappointed if all I could feel like I could safely tow was a couple of jet skis with a vehicle that is rated for 5,000lbs.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.