Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52757 times)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #80 on: April 16, 2021, 11:36:15 am »
Are there any small-ish CUVs that can tow 5,000 pounds?
the Jeep Cherokee, when equipped with the V6 and towing package, can tow 4500 lbs.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #81 on: April 16, 2021, 11:36:50 am »

Define small-ish.  Anything midsize can usually tow around 5000lbs.

Any of the compacts (CR-V, Rav4) can usually tow 1500lbs, with a few exceptions - the Rav4 Trail for one can tow 3500lbs.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: April 16, 2021, 11:42:42 am »
Again, this won't be bought by traditional truck buyers.  Truck buyers will continue buying half tons and mid-sizers like the Tacoma and Ranger. 

This will be bought by people who previously had a CUV, and like the 'appearance' of the Santa Cruz.  They've likely never owned a truck, and will have no need for a truck, but they'll see this thing as giving them the 'image' of a truck owner, but it will drive exactly like the CUV that they're trading in, and it will be easy to park in their garage and at the grocery store. 

I imagine this will be sold to a lot of people who will be remaining 'in-brand'.  I.E. Hyundai and Kia owners trading in their current Tucsons and Kona's, were pleased with the experience, and want another Hyundai. 

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #83 on: April 16, 2021, 11:46:00 am »

Define small-ish.  Anything midsize can usually tow around 5000lbs.

Any of the compacts (CR-V, Rav4) can usually tow 1500lbs, with a few exceptions - the Rav4 Trail for one can tow 3500lbs.

I was thinking same class but I'm sure some straddle the line into the next class above.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #84 on: April 16, 2021, 11:54:45 am »
Again, this won't be bought by traditional truck buyers.  Truck buyers will continue buying half tons and mid-sizers like the Tacoma and Ranger. 

This will be bought by people who previously had a CUV, and like the 'appearance' of the Santa Cruz.  They've likely never owned a truck, and will have no need for a truck, but they'll see this thing as giving them the 'image' of a truck owner, but it will drive exactly like the CUV that they're trading in, and it will be easy to park in their garage and at the grocery store. 

I imagine this will be sold to a lot of people who will be remaining 'in-brand'.  I.E. Hyundai and Kia owners trading in their current Tucsons and Kona's, were pleased with the experience, and want another Hyundai.

That is a good summary. I guess we will see. Closest thing I can think of last trying this was Subaru Baja?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: April 16, 2021, 11:57:35 am »

exactly.

Alex released his video where he gets to see it in person and does a first look on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TtVBWmJ1T94

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #86 on: April 16, 2021, 12:55:01 pm »

Passport?
the Passport is classified as a mid-size unit though...the Santa Cruz is classified as a compact...the  Passport also starts at $46k (plus freight and fees)...i'm guessing the Santa Cruz will start around $15k less than that (again, depending on what trims we get in Canada)...the rumours are saying the pricing will likely be a slight upcharge from the new Tucson which starts at $28k in Canada...so maybe (if we get lower trim Santa Cruz units here) they would start around $30k?
The prise of 28000 is for the Fwd you have to add 2000 for AWD and I suspect another 2000 for the Turbo  this is why I said starting mid 30 to mid 40 for the most equip

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: April 16, 2021, 01:14:53 pm »

Passport?
the Passport is classified as a mid-size unit though...the Santa Cruz is classified as a compact...the  Passport also starts at $46k (plus freight and fees)...i'm guessing the Santa Cruz will start around $15k less than that (again, depending on what trims we get in Canada)...the rumours are saying the pricing will likely be a slight upcharge from the new Tucson which starts at $28k in Canada...so maybe (if we get lower trim Santa Cruz units here) they would start around $30k?
The prise of 28000 is for the Fwd you have to add 2000 for AWD and I suspect another 2000 for the Turbo  this is why I said starting mid 30 to mid 40 for the most equip
very possible...but an AWD 2.5T trim isn't a base model...of course, we won't know which models come to Canada or what the pricing of any of them will be until closer to launch...most people are guessing the pricing based on the new Tucson and adding a bit of a premium to it (hence why i'm guessing it may start around $30k here).

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #88 on: April 16, 2021, 01:22:53 pm »

That makes a lot of sense.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: April 16, 2021, 01:24:27 pm »

That makes a lot of sense.
exactly...GBA gets it too, and he's a Truck owner.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #90 on: April 16, 2021, 02:50:19 pm »
2.5t with AWD should make for some punch in this not overly large vehicle.

Looks good in that available olive paint. Not my kinda ride, but I can see where this might sell reasonably. I can also see where it might not. But at least it's not another same as every damned thing else product.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: April 16, 2021, 03:19:32 pm »
2.5t with AWD should make for some punch in this not overly large vehicle.

Looks good in that available olive paint. Not my kinda ride, but I can see where this might sell reasonably. I can also see where it might not. But at least it's not another same as every damned thing else product.
agreed...maybe it will be a bust, but good on them for bringing something out that is different...not something i'd be interested in, but i can see it being useful for lots of city people.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #92 on: April 16, 2021, 05:47:28 pm »
dj, most of us get it.  I was seriously just trying to have a conversation on what would be hauled in this unit (what it would be used for), what if any advantage it has over a CUV, and the viability of it.  Like I mentioned previously, I dig it.  You are the one that continuously gets defensive whenever somebody asks questions about a Hyundai product.  Relax, we're not all against your beloved brand.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #93 on: April 16, 2021, 05:49:42 pm »
dj, most of us get it.  I was seriously just trying to have a conversation on what would be hauled in this unit (what it would be used for), what if any advantage it has over a CUV, and the viability of it.  Like I mentioned previously, I dig it.  You are the one that continuously gets defensive whenever somebody asks questions about a Hyundai product.  Relax, we're not all against your beloved brand.

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #94 on: April 16, 2021, 05:50:20 pm »
 :rofl2:

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #95 on: April 16, 2021, 06:03:34 pm »
Leaked photo of 2023 Chevrolet Santa Monica.

Sent from my SM-G950W using Tapatalk

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: April 16, 2021, 07:20:56 pm »
sigh...for one, it's not my beloved brand...i've only ever owned 1 Hyundai vehicle (others in here have owned more than that).

secondly, you asked what could you haul with it that you couldn't haul with a regular CUV...i said anything that can't fit in the confined space of a regular CUV...or anything you don't want that may damage or make a mess in your CUV...i'm not sure how that doesn't answer your question...others have said the exact same thing, but i'm the one labelled as being defensive...i'm not being defensive...this isn't a vehicle i'd buy, but i'm not the one comparing it to truck, and shitting on it because it can't do what a truck does...as i said on page 1, it's just a regular crossover with an open hatch...i have no idea why there's so much hate on it...other than the typical Hyundai hate that exists in here.

can't wait for the review of this when it comes out...if it scores a 10/10 for the powertrain, you guys are going to have a stroke. :rofl:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #97 on: April 16, 2021, 07:58:38 pm »
To be fair to dirtyjeffer, I think we would raise the same arguments when the Ford Maverick is unveiled. There are two entrants into this new compact unibody pickup class so there has to be a market for it.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #98 on: April 16, 2021, 08:11:55 pm »
That might be a better bet for usefulness:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: April 16, 2021, 09:20:20 pm »
FWIW, I watched the TFL video, and the bed has a built in retractable tonneau cover which will keep gear dry and relatively secure.  The 'bed' has loads of tie downs which could theoretically increase its usefulness (carrying a stove or dishwasher home from the store, for example).  It also has decent payload - close to 1600lbs, of which 660lbs (numbers all approximate) is useable in the bed.  That ain't shabby for a small vehicle.  You'll fill the bed with volume before you ever run out of payload.

Speaking of, I could see a vehicle like this being useful for somebody who has a plot in a community garden.  You could fill the bed with half a yard of too soil and drive it to your plot. 
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:28:45 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »