Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52787 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2021, 04:32:33 pm »
But not with it up. I got one in the back of my Mazda2 with hatch closed.  :D

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2021, 04:33:55 pm »
liekly it's actually the perfect size for a push bike... front wheel is supposed to go over the tailgate, or at least it's how i've always done it.

i think it's quite a good looking stylized little ute... absolutely not a truck and won't sell in big numbers, but i actually kind of like it.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2021, 04:44:12 pm »
Would be nice if the rear bulkhead went down for hauling longer things, like in an Avalanche

The way it is seems more like a Sport Trac, haul a lawnmower and that's about it

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12418
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #23 on: April 15, 2021, 04:46:35 pm »
while it's not for me, i could see it being popular...it's not really a "Truck", there's plenty of options out there if you want one of those...think of it more like a compact crossover with an open hatch...it's similar in size to a mid 90s S10/Ranger...i think that's a good thing...trucks have got so big nowadays, there isn't any "little trucks" left.

Who is this for?

No idea.  I kind of dig the look of it but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Bed looks tiny.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 15, 2021, 04:50:41 pm »

But not with it up. I got one in the back of my Mazda2 with hatch closed.  :D

But that was the case "back in the day" with non full size trucks.

Had to have the tail gate down.

Didn't seem to bother anyone back then for moving a dirtbike/motorcycle around.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2021, 05:03:06 pm »
while it's not for me, i could see it being popular...it's not really a "Truck", there's plenty of options out there if you want one of those...think of it more like a compact crossover with an open hatch...it's similar in size to a mid 90s S10/Ranger...i think that's a good thing...trucks have got so big nowadays, there isn't any "little trucks" left.
Buy an lifted hatchback in that case....like this thing makes the ridgeline look like a Dodge Power Wagon lol. That bed is beyond useless

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #26 on: April 15, 2021, 05:07:33 pm »
I think the bed will hold a bike with the tailgate down, won't it?

I don't think so. The Gen 1 Ridgeline "just" pulls it off with the tailgate down and that is a 5' bed. This bed looks closer to 3 1/2 or 4.

Subaru Brat anyone?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #27 on: April 15, 2021, 05:07:43 pm »
Buy an lifted hatchback in that case....like this thing makes the ridgeline look like a Dodge Power Wagon lol. That bed is beyond useless
little trucks weren't useless in the 80s and 90s...there were tons around and they weren't much bigger (the Santa Cruz is actually quite a bit more useful in terms of cabin space)...and remember, this isn't a truck...that's kind of the point.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #28 on: April 15, 2021, 05:11:27 pm »

Who is this for?

No idea.  I kind of dig the look of it but it doesn't make a lot of sense to me.  Bed looks tiny.

I feel the same way.

Maybe plywood and drywall would stick out but still fit ok. And also a quad-cycle, a tractor/mower, maybe a ski-do or is that too long? For just about anything else a CUV or SUV would be more secure and convenient IMHO. In one of the media pictures they had to take off a front wheel from a bicycle for it to fit and it still didn't. I would agree however it's a good looking.. thing.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 15, 2021, 05:15:21 pm »
I think the bed will hold a bike with the tailgate down, won't it?

I don't think so. The Gen 1 Ridgeline "just" pulls it off with the tailgate down and that is a 5' bed. This bed looks closer to 3 1/2 or 4.

Subaru Brat anyone?
Bed is 4' 3".

Wonder if the bike is on a 45 if it would fit?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 15, 2021, 05:25:18 pm »
little trucks weren't useless in the 80s and 90s...there were tons around and they weren't much bigger (the Santa Cruz is actually quite a bit more useful in terms of cabin space)...and remember, this isn't a truck...that's kind of the point.
Yeah but they still had a 5 or 6 foot bed, not 4'....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #31 on: April 15, 2021, 05:35:37 pm »
sure, but they were trucks...this isn't a truck...not everyone wants/needs a vehicle with a 6 foot bed, a Cummins engine and front and rear lockers...isn't your wife getting a Tacoma???...WTF???...why not a Power Wagon???

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #32 on: April 15, 2021, 05:46:38 pm »
I actually do kind of dig this thing, but I do wonder what you will haul that's 4 feet or less in length but still require the height of where an SUV/CUV won't work.  I'm having a hard time coming up with much but my imagination isn't the greatest.  Some appliances?  Maybe some landscaping material that you don't want inside?  The use seems to be very limited.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: April 15, 2021, 05:47:15 pm »

sure, but they were trucks...this isn't a truck...not everyone wants/needs a vehicle with a 6 foot bed, a Cummins engine and front and rear lockers...isn't your wife getting a Tacoma???...WTF???...why not a Power Wagon???

Well, because work is buying the vehicle for her and that still has a foot and change bigger box than this thing. How is this not a truck, Hyundai is touting it as such. I'm not saying it has to be a bloody 1 ton dually, but at least compete with the compact trucks. Even the car based trucks I saw in Mexico and the Caribbean had a decent sized box. This is a car based, suv H3 wannabe with no purpose whatsoever.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 15, 2021, 05:47:59 pm »
I actually do kind of dig this thing, but I do wonder what you will haul that's 4 feet or less in length but still require the height of where an SUV/CUV won't work.  I'm having a hard time coming up with much but my imagination isn't the greatest.  Some appliances?  Maybe some landscaping material that you don't want inside?
Refrigerator....dishwasher...range.

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +186/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 15, 2021, 05:48:29 pm »
The car based ones in Mexico are usually single cab leaving room for a reasonable box size. Single cabs are sales death here. So we get this.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #36 on: April 15, 2021, 05:51:29 pm »
Another foot on the bed would be all it would take, then that would be 6 ft with the tailgate down

Odd that I can haul 8 ft lumber with my hatchback with the hatch closed, but this would have 3 feet sticking out the back

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 15, 2021, 05:58:01 pm »
For reference, here's a screen capture with a bicycle.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 15, 2021, 05:58:39 pm »
This vehicle would work just as well for me as a full sized truck.

Since I'd have nothing of great size in either.

Which seems like the case for a great many truck owners.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: April 15, 2021, 06:00:27 pm »
For reference, here's a screen capture with a bicycle.

That is definitely not a 4 foot bed.  How are they measuring it?

Diagonal like a TV  :P :)