Author Topic: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’  (Read 52759 times)

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
Re: The Hyundai Santa Cruz truck is headed for production ‘ASAP’
« Reply #60 on: April 16, 2021, 08:19:53 am »
while it's not for me, i could see it being popular...it's not really a "Truck", there's plenty of options out there if you want one of those...think of it more like a compact crossover with an open hatch...it's similar in size to a mid 90s S10/Ranger...i think that's a good thing...trucks have got so big nowadays, there isn't any "little trucks" left.

Similar in size maybe. However the most of the mid 90s compact trucks had at least 6 foot boxes. My 98 has this feature.  ;D

I wouldn't sell my aging truck for this styling exercise.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #61 on: April 16, 2021, 09:05:27 am »
This vehicle would work just as well for me as a full sized truck.

Since I'd have nothing of great size in either.

Which seems like the case for a great many truck owners.
see, Ron gets it...99% of full size trucks on the road are empty in the bed...their just beefy cars.

Sure, but when you want to haul something you can. Again, what would you haul in something with a 4’ bed that you can’t take in a CUV besides what I mention above?  And the CUV provides a secure area. Without a longer bed I’m having trouble seeing much of an advantage.
it can haul stuff, and without the confinements of a hatch or trunk area, it leaves more possibilities...it's no less secure than the 10 million pick up trucks out there...next time you are driving around, have a look at how many trucks are driving around with an empty bed...most are...this will just be less empty space...lower price, better on fuel, easier to drive around town, likely be AWD instead of some trucks that use a manual 4x4 mode (where you have to be careful you don't drive in 4H or 4L on pavement)...as GBA said, it's a lifestyle vehicle...how many Wranglers are used as mall crawlers instead of heading out into the back woods...almost all of them...in fact, i'd say most Wranglers rarely see any off road duty.

In all that ramble, you didn’t answer my question at all.
i think the answer is self explanatory...you can haul anything you want and aren't constrained by the interior dimensions of a CUV...you also don't have to worry about getting the inside of your CUV dirty or damaged either...i would have thought this was obvious.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 09:42:31 am by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #62 on: April 16, 2021, 09:47:04 am »
while it's not for me, i could see it being popular...it's not really a "Truck", there's plenty of options out there if you want one of those...think of it more like a compact crossover with an open hatch...it's similar in size to a mid 90s S10/Ranger...i think that's a good thing...trucks have got so big nowadays, there isn't any "little trucks" left.

Similar in size maybe. However the most of the mid 90s compact trucks had at least 6 foot boxes. My 98 has this feature.  ;D

I just think a regular SUV (like a Passport) can basically do 95% of what this thing can do - plus the cargo space is covered.

Not sure how many people need this to drive 4 people to Home Depot to pick up a potted plant. But hey, I'm sure this is a lifestyle marketing experiment so we'll see how she does.

Reminded me that i once picked up a tree in the S2000 at the tree nursery down the road from my place.   ;D  Wouldn't fit in anything else, including my work truck with the cap.

Anyway, the box in my Frontier is short but i knew that going in and hasn't been an issue yet.  Having had a work truck with a 8' box for over 10 years I've rarely put anything in the box that required the full 8' length.  I use a trailer for the odd time i need something big brought home and finds that works better for my needs.  I bought it more because it had decent trailer hauling capability and cuz I just liked how it drove.

I would have no use for something like this Santa Cruz but nice to see there are choices for everyone.  I panned the Subaru Brat when it first came out but now they make me smile when i see one. 

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: April 16, 2021, 09:47:40 am »
i think it would be easier for people to understand this vehicle, if you'd stop comparing it to trucks...it's not a truck and Hyundai isn't marketing it as a truck...it is a Sport Adventure Vehicle...it's a lifestyle product...good on them for taking a chance with something different.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: April 16, 2021, 09:49:07 am »

I just think a regular SUV (like a Passport) can basically do 95% of what this thing can do - plus the cargo space is covered.

Not sure how many people need this to drive 4 people to Home Depot to pick up a potted plant. But hey, I'm sure this is a lifestyle marketing experiment so we'll see how she does.

Reminded me that i once picked up a tree in the S2000 at the tree nursery down the road from my place.   ;D  Wouldn't fit in anything else, including my work truck with the cap.

Anyway, the box in my Frontier is short but i knew that going in and hasn't been an issue yet.  Having had a work truck with a 8' box for over 10 years I've rarely put anything in the box that required the full 8' length.  I use a trailer for the odd time i need something big brought home and finds that works better for my needs.  I bought it more because it had decent trailer hauling capability and cuz I just liked how it drove.

I would have no use for something like this Santa Cruz but nice to see there are choices for everyone.  I panned the Subaru Brat when it first came out but now they make me smile when i see one.
yup, and with a 5000 lb towing capacity, for the twice a year when you need to haul all that construction material you bought, you can simply use a utility trailer.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: April 16, 2021, 09:54:32 am »

yup, and with a 5000 lb towing capacity, for the twice a year when you need to haul all that construction material you bought, you can simply use a utility trailer.

It's 6000lb.  My boat/trailer is ~5000lb fully loaded, which is adequate for the short distances i take take it.  Not that I'd want to haul a boat long distances no matter what I was hauling it with.  Boats are a shitty thing to tow.  :P

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: April 16, 2021, 09:59:22 am »

It's 6000lb.  My boat/trailer is ~5000lb fully loaded, which is adequate for the short distances i take take it.  Not that I'd want to haul a boat long distances no matter what I was hauling it with.  Boats are a shitty thing to tow.  :P
i'm talking about the Santa Cruz...it's towing capacity is 5000 lbs (from what was quoted)...that's likely decent enough for most basic consumer requirements and likely more than most compact crossovers (which often seem to be the 2000-2500 lbs range).

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #67 on: April 16, 2021, 10:03:09 am »
i think it would be easier for people to understand this vehicle, if you'd stop comparing it to trucks...it's not a truck and Hyundai isn't marketing it as a truck...it is a Sport Adventure Vehicle...it's a lifestyle product...good on them for taking a chance with something different.

Listen to yourself man. Just repeating the horseshit marketing. But, but, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle.

Give your head a shake!

I think we all understand what it it, a 4 door CUV / Car with a small bed. I'm sure enough people will find some utility in this just like some find utility in having a hatch vs. sedan or wagon vs. sedan.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #68 on: April 16, 2021, 10:05:34 am »
DJ, you still didn’t answer my question, but it’s OK, Hannibal did.  :P 

You can haul “stuff” or “anything” as you’ve said didn’t answer anything.

You must be in sales, evident how you go on and on repeating the same thing over again.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2021, 10:08:25 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: April 16, 2021, 10:06:05 am »

Listen to yourself man. Just repeating the horseshit marketing. But, but, it's a Sport Adventure Vehicle.

Give your head a shake!
??? that's how they are marketing it...they aren't competing against a truck, or they would have made an actual truck.

but don't worry, you might see an actual truck in the near future anyway.

https://www.carscoops.com/2020/01/hyundais-rugged-pickup-truck-could-use-gv80s-straight-six-diesel/

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: April 16, 2021, 10:10:30 am »
DJ, you still didn’t answer my question, but it’s OK, Hannibal did.  :P 

You can haul “stuff” or “anything” as you’ve said didn’t answer anything.
the question was what could you haul in the Santa Cruz that you couldn't in a CUV...i answered it with "anything that exceeds the interior dimensions of said crossover".

as i said on page 1 of this thread, think of it as a crossover with an open hatch...that's all it is...i'm not sure why so many people are getting their panties in a knot about it.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #71 on: April 16, 2021, 10:12:35 am »
^^^Looks exactly like a Chevy Colorado onto which they photoshopped a Hyundai nose.  The rest of the truck is identical

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: April 16, 2021, 10:16:45 am »
Tell you what. Let's revisit this 18 months from now and see the sales figures. I don't think this thing is going to be a success. At all. But I will happily call myself out if I'm wrong.

I think this is a no man's land vehicle. Serious people will buy an actual truck and people who don't really know any better who they're going to try and convince with marketing will just buy a CUV.

we'll see. I'm not sure how if the Ridgeline doesn't do well this will.
sure...it may flop...i don't know...but good on them for trying something different and unique...perhaps it is a vehicle to test the waters a bit for actual trucks to follow later.

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #73 on: April 16, 2021, 10:22:45 am »
Tell you what. Let's revisit this 18 months from now and see the sales figures. I don't think this thing is going to be a success. At all. But I will happily call myself out if I'm wrong.

I think this is a no man's land vehicle. Serious people will buy an actual truck and people who don't really know any better who they're going to try and convince with marketing will just buy a CUV.

we'll see. I'm not sure how if the Ridgeline doesn't do well this will.
sure...it may flop...i don't know...but good on them for trying something different and unique...perhaps it is a vehicle to test the waters a bit for actual trucks to follow later.

They also won't be the only ones entering this market: Ford Maverick. Two of the largest manufacturers are trying this out in the North American market, I'm sure they don't think it will be a flop.

Good to see something different at least.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: April 16, 2021, 10:31:12 am »

i'm talking about the Santa Cruz...it's towing capacity is 5000 lbs (from what was quoted)...that's likely decent enough for most basic consumer requirements and likely more than most compact crossovers (which often seem to be the 2000-2500 lbs range).

Whoops, sorry, multitasking again...lol   I'm surprised it's rated for 5k.  I didn't read the article.   :D

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #75 on: April 16, 2021, 10:32:30 am »
The first-of-its-kind Sport Adventure Vehicle.
The SANTA CRUZ debuts an exciting new era for adventure-seekers, outdoor enthusiasts, and do-it-yourselfers.   

It combines the flexibility of an open truck bed and the comfort of an SUV so you can easily load it up with gear and start planning your next adventure.
[/i]

https://www.hyundaicanada.com/en/coming-soon/2022-santa-cruz

They're not hauling anything they couldn't haul in an SUV.

Just that now it's going to get
1) wet
2) dirty
3) stolen (if it's not too wet and dirty)

Can't wait to see one of these with a bed cap!

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #76 on: April 16, 2021, 10:38:21 am »
Minimum bed length has to be 5' with at least 48" width. Anything less and my dirt bikes (gate down)  and skis (gate up) don't fit in the back. I don't mind the Hyundai rendering as it looks like it has at least a 5' box. We will see about the width. What surprises people about the Ridgeline is how wide it is, within an inch or two of a full size.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #77 on: April 16, 2021, 10:52:32 am »
I don't mind it at all.  It's nice to see something different.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #78 on: April 16, 2021, 11:02:05 am »
Are there any small-ish CUVs that can tow 5,000 pounds?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: April 16, 2021, 11:34:23 am »
Are there any small-ish CUVs that can tow 5,000 pounds?

Passport?
the Passport is classified as a mid-size unit though...the Santa Cruz is classified as a compact...the  Passport also starts at $46k (plus freight and fees)...i'm guessing the Santa Cruz will start around $15k less than that (again, depending on what trims we get in Canada)...the rumours are saying the pricing will likely be a slight upcharge from the new Tucson which starts at $28k in Canada...so maybe (if we get lower trim Santa Cruz units here) they would start around $30k?