Author Topic: Preview: 2020 Jeep Gladiator  (Read 16647 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
Re: Preview: 2020 Jeep Gladiator
« Reply #40 on: November 28, 2018, 09:07:58 pm »
I'm interested in the "Overland" version, maybe the diesel & 6spd stick? Tho I'm guessing the diesel will be paired with the ZF 8spd auto only, but that will also give it the AWD transfer case as opposed to the part time 4x4.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #41 on: November 28, 2018, 09:17:21 pm »
That's awesome that this will be available in a manual.  My sister has a Wrangler Unlimited manual which has leather (a 100% requirement for me).  Anyone know if the three trims of this will offer leather?
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: November 28, 2018, 09:20:25 pm »
That's awesome that this will be available in a manual.  My sister has a Wrangler Unlimited manual which has leather (a 100% requirement for me).  Anyone know if the three trims of this will offer leather?
Guessing it'll be an option on the top 2 trims like on the Sahara.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #43 on: November 28, 2018, 09:27:31 pm »
Guessing it'll be an option on the top 2 trims like on the Sahara.

Sweet!  Having this available in a manual could definitely seal the deal with me come replacement time with the F-150.  Being able to drive a manual all year around between this and my summer cars would be fantastic.  As long as I could get leather interior, it's all good. 

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #44 on: November 28, 2018, 10:22:50 pm »
I just like trucks, the way you like your broken from the factory Italian things.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:

And for the record, I love it.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #45 on: November 29, 2018, 09:55:22 am »

I'm guessing the trims will pretty much mirror the regular Wrangler. Leather is optional on the Sahara and Rubicon.

Keep in mind that the bed is likely also a lot narrower than your F-150's. But regardless, this is way cooler than your F-150.  :)

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #46 on: November 29, 2018, 10:08:59 am »
If they follow Wrangler pricing they will also cost more than F-150 when comparing similar trims, given Ford's perpetual 10k+ discounts.   

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #47 on: November 29, 2018, 10:18:02 am »
I always liked the look and idea of a Wrangler.   But after having finally driven one for a couple of days as a rental earlier this year....I dunno.  It drives so awful in 99% of circumstances and feels so cheap inside given the MSRP.   FCA must make a killing on each one of these they sell.

I can't imagine choosing this over a similar $$$ big 3 full size pickup.   But to each his own.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #48 on: November 29, 2018, 10:21:23 am »
So, 7650lbs tow rating on this thing isn't bad.  Now, I'm not sure if that's for the full-zoot Rubicon, or a more 'normal' Sahara. Typically the higher-spec trucks have a higher curb weight, and a resulting lower tow rating.

Either way, 7650lbs is very good for a midsize truck.  Class-leading, in fact.  A V6 Colorado can do 7000lbs (the diesel can pull 7700lbs), and a Tacoma can pull 6500lbs.
So, this new Gladiator is right up there with the best towing capacity of the mid-sizers. 

This thing is really, really cool.  I'm sure it will be very very expensive, too.  You'll probably be able to buy a VERY nicely equipped Ram for what this thing will cost.  BUT, having options is never a bad thing.  At this price point, the Ram will fill the 'luxury truck' niche, while the Gladiator will fill the 'bad-ass plaything' niche.

Oh, and I think this Gladiator will be the new Baby of the US Overlanding community.  It's available with a diesel (overlanders love small, fuel efficient diesels), and it fixes the biggest shortcomings of using a Wrangler as an overlanding vehicle:  Payload capacity. 
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 10:23:57 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 29, 2018, 10:26:52 am »
I always liked the look and idea of a Wrangler.   But after having finally driven one for a couple of days as a rental earlier this year....I dunno.  It drives so awful in 99% of circumstances and feels so cheap inside given the MSRP.   FCA must make a killing on each one of these they sell.

I can't imagine choosing this over a similar $$$ big 3 full size pickup.   But to each his own.

I like the looks and practicality of a Jeep with a pickup bed, but living with it everyday is my concern as well. I mean modern trucks have come so far in refinement and comfort in recent years.

While it's a pretty cool truck, I don't think the rough and unrefined driving experience would be all that appealing for day to day use. Don't know if they have made any improvements with the JL, but I am guessing it would be a similar experience to its predecessor.

Also, I would be concerned with safety on these. Are you able to legally drive on public highways with the doors removed? There would no doubt be a significant reduction in structural rigidity with them removed. I also assume no side curtain airbags available since the roof panels can be removed. I thought it was mandatory to have side curtain airbags on passenger vehicles and light trucks.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 29, 2018, 10:33:49 am »
I like the looks and practicality of a Jeep with a pickup bed, but living with it everyday is my concern as well. I mean modern trucks have come so far in refinement and comfort in recent years.

While it's a pretty cool truck, I don't think the rough and unrefined driving experience would be all that appealing for day to day use. Don't know if they have made any improvements with the JL, but I am guessing it would be a similar experience to its predecessor.

So, there is such a thing as 'JEEP people'.  These are the people to whom the words 'It's a JEEP thing' apply.  Some people actually prefer the utilitarian, rough and ready feel of a JEEP over a more refined vehicle.  To them, it's like hopping into a Tonka Toy everyday and driving it to work. 

So, while some people may buy a JEEP for its image, and then regret the purchase later due to its rough ride and unrefined interior, there are other people who buy JEEPS because they enjoy the entire experience.  There is a lady who works in the office across from me who feels this way.  She has a JKU, and absolutely loves it.  She doesn't ever take it off-road, but LOVES the way it drives otherwise. 

Also, I would be concerned with safety on these. Are you able to legally drive on public highways with the doors removed? There would no doubt be a significant reduction in structural rigidity with them removed. I also assume no side curtain airbags available since the roof panels can be removed. I thought it was mandatory to have side curtain airbags on passenger vehicles and light trucks.

Legal to drive on the highway with doors and roof removed.  The only legal requirement is that the windshield must be in the 'up' position.  There is actually a warning in Wrangler owner's manuals that even when the doors are in place, they technically don't offer much if any side-impact protection.  Also, it's a body on frame, so removing the doors has no effect on structural rigidity.  Also, do you see the full rollcage that envelops the passenger area?  That is where they can mount their seatbelts and airbags. 

Offline Hannibalsmith

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +101/-137
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Porsche Cayman GTS 4.0, 2015 BMW 335i, 2021 Toyota 4Runner TRD Offroad
« Reply #51 on: November 29, 2018, 10:39:23 am »

Was it the JK or new JL that you rented. From what I've read, the new JL is way improved in terms of daily driving on pavement.
I love it when a plan comes together.

Offline marcus_go

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +10/-10
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 29, 2018, 10:45:27 am »

So, there is such a thing as 'JEEP people'.  These are the people to whom the words 'It's a JEEP thing' apply.  Some people actually prefer the utilitarian, rough and ready feel of a JEEP over a more refined vehicle.  To them, it's like hopping into a Tonka Toy everyday and driving it to work. 

So, while some people may buy a JEEP for its image, and then regret the purchase later due to its rough ride and unrefined interior, there are other people who buy JEEPS because they enjoy the entire experience.  There is a lady who works in the office across from me who feels this way.  She has a JKU, and absolutely loves it.  She doesn't ever take it off-road, but LOVES the way it drives otherwise. 

Legal to drive on the highway with doors and roof removed.  The only legal requirement is that the windshield must be in the 'up' position.  There is actually a warning in Wrangler owner's manuals that even when the doors are in place, they technically don't offer much if any side-impact protection.  Also, it's a body on frame, so removing the doors has no effect on structural rigidity.  Also, do you see the full rollcage that envelops the passenger area?  That is where they can mount their seatbelts and airbags.

For sure, I get the culture and lifestyle thing of owning something like this if you're into it. And I totally get the appeal that the brand offers to some buyers.

The JL brochure makes no mention of side curtain airbags, only seat mounted thorax airbags, which is surprising as I thought they were federally mandated by now.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2018, 10:46:17 am »
The tow rating is a bit of a head-scratcher for me  :think:  How can they go from 3500lbs for the Wrangler Unlimited to 7650lbs for this on basically the same platform, that's an increase of 4000lbs, more than double!!!

Actually, just googled it... and here's how

For starters, the Gladiator features a new frame not shared with Wrangler that's a whopping 31 inches longer than the one under the Wrangler Unlimited. The wheelbase of the Gladiator is also 19.4 inches longer than a Wrangler Unlimited. The Gladiator continues to use solid front and rear axles, both of which are Dana 44s in two available track widths, but the rear five-link coil suspension is a unique design developed for better ride quality.

Makes sense now, it's got a lot more wheelbase and a different frame. Here's a cool pic

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #54 on: November 29, 2018, 10:49:18 am »
Cool pic, but it looks like the rear is sagging.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2018, 10:58:58 am »

The rear end on most trucks sags when you put some tongue weight on a hitch...

You expect it to remain at its empty ride height with 500lbs hanging off a point 3 feet behind the rear axle?  Don't forget, this is a mid-size class of truck, with a mid-size rated towing capacity.  That Grand Wagoneer and tandem axle trailer is probably approaching its max tow capacity.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2018, 11:02:04 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2018, 11:04:53 am »

The rear end on most trucks sags when you put some tongue weight on a hitch...

You expect it to remain at its empty ride height with 500lbs hanging off a point 3 feet behind the rear axle?

Yeah, but it should never hang ass-end low like that. Most trucks sit a little higher in the rear so that it levels out with a load. And if that’s not enough, time for a weight-distributing hitch.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: November 29, 2018, 11:06:46 am »
Yeah, but it should never hang ass-end low like that. Most trucks sit a little higher in the rear so that it levels out with a load. And if that’s not enough, time for a weight-distributing hitch.

OT, but this video I watched the other day made me think of you.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0CbWkfCA9tc

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #58 on: November 29, 2018, 11:18:25 am »
Was it the JK or new JL that you rented. From what I've read, the new JL is way improved in terms of daily driving on pavement.

It was a 2018 model (JL).  Just felt like the thing was going to blow over in a stiff wind on the Mass turnpike.   

BUT - that said - I definitely understand this argument:

Still, there is a difference between feeling utilitarian and feeling cheap.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: November 29, 2018, 11:22:35 am »
Still, there is a difference between feeling utilitarian and feeling cheap.

Fair enough.  Although one could argue that's part of the charm of a Wrangler.  If you want nice materials and refinement, well, there is always the Cherokee and Grand Cherokee. 

I just realized, the Gladiator Rubicon is a direct competitor to the Colorado ZR2.