Author Topic: So You’re Visiting a Dealership for Repairs  (Read 4156 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
So You’re Visiting a Dealership for Repairs
« on: November 28, 2018, 04:43:27 am »
What to know before you go.
Read more...

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Re: So You’re Visiting a Dealership for Repairs
« Reply #1 on: November 28, 2018, 02:28:00 pm »
also, while the advisors aren't your enemy, they *are* salespeople. some stores are more aggressive asking for additional services, others just leave it at what you came in for. neither one is perfect. the first guys, you might be spending 500 bucks that you really didn't need to, and the other guys, you might have missed a service that could have saved undue wear on your car (and a future expensive repair bill).

don't be afraid to say, "not today, but if you could note it on the bill, I'll try to get it done over the next little while". some fixes, they already have parts out and it is just smarter to do then, but most are just fluid swaps and such. plus, it then gives you a chance to do your homework. if you get home and realize you didn't need your halogen fluid changed at all because it doesn't exist, then maybe skip that shop next time... maybe you find a better price than the quoted one on a valid service and can try to get a price match... maybe you do homework and realize you should definitely get it done and the price is good, so you can schedule it.

not only isn't the shop the enemy, but they WANT to fix your car right. be-back visits look bad on everyone. so while it might be frustrating to you, they aren't happy about it. some customers get this idea that techs and service departments get off on screwing up your car... they don't. never assume malice where idiocy or human error can be the problem.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2018, 02:31:22 pm »

don't be afraid to say, "not today, but if you could note it on the bill, I'll try to get it done over the next little while". some fixes, they already have parts out and it is just smarter to do then, but most are just fluid swaps and such. plus, it then gives you a chance to do your homework. if you get home and realize you didn't need your halogen fluid changed at all because it doesn't exist, then maybe skip that shop next time... maybe you find a better price than the quoted one on a valid service and can try to get a price match... maybe you do homework and realize you should definitely get it done and the price is good, so you can schedule it.

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2018, 02:45:22 pm »

not only isn't the shop the enemy, but they WANT to fix your car right. be-back visits look bad on everyone. so while it might be frustrating to you, they aren't happy about it. some customers get this idea that techs and service departments get off on screwing up your car... they don't. never assume malice where idiocy or human error can be the problem.

I only service my car at the dealership and what you say above has been proven to be true in my experience. The Mazda dealership in Kelowna has always been very good to me and has always helped and fixed any issues I had. Just last week on my way into town the wipers stopped working, not good when going over 100 on the hwy and happens all of a sudden. I took the car in on my way to the office and the service Manger told me to leave the car with them and that probably is the BCM. I got a ride to the office and after lunch I get a call from the shuttle driver that he is in the area and will pick me up. I get back to Mazda and they inform me that a new BCM had to be ordered as they don't have any in stock and will probably be delivered on December 4. They also said that it is not safe for me to drive my car and that they just pulled a brand new CX5 of the lot and equipped it with winter tires so I have a car until mine is fixed. To my surprise the CX5 only had a few KM and is the fully loaded one. I like my dealership and I will always service my car there as they have always been honest and helpful.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2018, 02:47:10 pm »

I only service my car at the dealership and what you say above has been proven to be true in my experience. The Mazda dealership in Kelowna has always been very good to me and has always helped and fixed any issues I had. Just last week on my way into town the wipers stopped working, not good when going over 100 on the hwy and happens all of a sudden. I took the car in on my way to the office and the service Manger told me to leave the car with them and that probably is the BCM. I got a ride to the office and after lunch I get a call from the shuttle driver that he is in the area and will pick me up. I get back to Mazda and they inform me that a new BCM had to be ordered as they don't have any in stock and will probably be delivered on December 4. They also said that it is not safe for me to drive my car and that they just pulled a brand new CX5 of the lot and equipped it with winter tires so I have a car until mine is fixed. To my surprise the CX5 only had a few KM and is the fully loaded one. I like my dealership and I will always service my car there as they have always been honest and helpful.

That's pretty good.  Although the sales manager was probably hoping you liked the new CX-5 so much that he'd make a sale.  A sort of extended test drive, if you will. 

Offline sszoomzoom

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Mazda CX5 Signature - Soul Red Crystal Metallic
« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2018, 02:54:11 pm »

That's pretty good.  Although the sales manager was probably hoping you liked the new CX-5 so much that he'd make a sale.  A sort of extended test drive, if you will.

Funny. My work colleagues said the same think. However driving the CX5 has confirmed to me that I am a car guy and don't like driving an SUV. Also the guys at Mazda know that I don't like SUV's as we talk about the subject every time I am there. And the fuel consumption is killing me compared to what my MZ3 gets. I also found the seats not as comfortable and hugging as my car.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2018, 02:58:19 pm »

:rofl: :rofl2: :rofl:
That is what happens when the Service Advisors are on Commission
SIL was on  Commission, he would also get trips if he made his targets

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2018, 01:55:18 pm »
i think that's the issue... customers assume the people they are talking to know quite a bit... really, they don't. it's like assuming the business manager knows a lot about the car you are buying... no clue. at least the service advisor knows some things through repetition... certain complaints they can have a decent idea of what is the culprit... but they aren't the ones who turn a wrench.

again... the person you talk to is a salesperson. and each one sells differently... just like a person selling anything. one might hit you up for every penny then can get from you today, another might plant seeds to sell more later, another might not even try to sell you on any stuff... while you might prefer the latter, they won't last long in a business based on upsells.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2018, 08:26:59 pm »
The service advisor sales pitch is an issue. You have to judge need, and then judge priorities versus wastefulness.

I took my car into the dealer this week for oil, filter, general check, and snow tire swap, for an advertised price. The Service advisor came out and told me the car was toeing out in the front and asked if I wanted an alignment. I agreed since it will not get better, but the specs were only out slightly, and my steering wheel was always centered. The alignment was $129 extra which I'm not sure was warranted, but the report showed my left front was out slightly, from hitting pot holes no doubt.

Then the service advisor (very low key) suggested a fuel system cleaning based on my car mileage (which was only 47,750 kms) which I politely declined. I got the distinct impression that he was directed to suggest this, regardless of whether the customer complained of driveability issues. I sympathize with the guy, since the discussion was awkward. In a way, I hope he makes his sales targets since he was a nice kid, but I think it is a sh*tty way of doing business.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2018, 08:32:53 pm »
I just finished telling a guy not to bother with the fuel service now either... brake service? sure... diff's? yep... air filter? ok, but do yourself... fuel? nah... just don't see why. maybe I'm wrong, but just never saw the point with today's gas.

I feel like they throw a bunch of things so that you say no to something... you still feel like you won because you turned down three services... but you still bought two.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2018, 11:54:18 pm »
I just finished telling a guy not to bother with the fuel service now either... brake service? sure... diff's? yep... air filter? ok, but do yourself... fuel? nah... just don't see why. maybe I'm wrong, but just never saw the point with today's gas.

I feel like they throw a bunch of things so that you say no to something... you still feel like you won because you turned down three services... but you still bought two.
it may have to do with the gas going in too...a coworkers girlfriend has Rio sedan and it was having some stalling issues (and rough idle)...they took it to the dealer and they said it needed a fuel service (maintenance) and was about $300 (fuel induction service or something like that)...her car is a year or two newer than mine and i haven't had any such issues...anyway, they got it done and it was fine afterwards, but i also found out they've been buying their gas over the last few years from some low end cheap gas station near their house...i suggested they use top tier fuel only and explained the potential for issues with a DI engine...i do think fuel quality is very important in today's engines...they are so tight in terms of specs, crap fuel likely causes issues.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #12 on: November 30, 2018, 12:37:28 am »
Another broken system. The service advisor should be knowledgable. They should be able to help customers, not just attempt to pile on as many services as possible.

So. Stupid.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 30, 2018, 12:58:28 am »
Another broken system. The service advisor should be knowledgable. They should be able to help customers, not just attempt to pile on as many services as possible.

That's generally the dealer business model.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline erich

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +36/-125
    • View Profile
  • Cars: current: 2023 Genesis G70 2.0t,2019 Infiniti QX50, previous:2017 Subaru Legacy, 2014 Mazda CX-5, 2012 Genesis Coupe 2.0T, 2010 Subaru Forrester, 2004 Honda Civic, 2000 SAAB 9-3, 2000 Dodge Caravan, 2000 VW Golf, 1996 Suzuki Baleno, 1990 Subary Justy 1.0GL
« Reply #14 on: November 30, 2018, 10:16:12 am »
I go to the dealer as long as the car is under warranty, then it's goodbye and good riddance.
Last time the trusted dealer who had all the maintenance records changed the air filter after 5000 km.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 10:41:48 am »
My Ridgeline has been back to the dealer three times in 8 years. One warranty item (tailgate latch adjust) and once for each front airbag (Takata replacement). When I brought it in for the airbag replacement the service advisor was puzzled as it hadn't been there for 6 years. When she asked I simply replied "It's a Honda they don't need any maintenance". Oil change she asked? . I replied "nope" never.

That ends it right there lol.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 10:44:53 am »
I still go to the dealer with my almost 12 years old Outlander but only because I developed a good and long relationship (going all the way back to 2007) with the service manager and the mechanic that works on my car. I get discounts on OEM parts which often bring them down to close to aftermarket, I get advice when to use OEM/aftermarket and he sources the parts accordingly, I get reduced labor costs and freeby services, if they screw something up they fix it without any fuss, I get loaner cars any time I need it... things like that.  I only get the service I need but they also check the car every time it's in the bay and let me know if anything else needs attention. On the other hand, I generated significant service revenue over all these years and with all maintenance I've done on my car so it's a mutually beneficial relationship.

I developed similar relationship years ago with the Mazda service manager who happens to leave in my neighborhood too (he used to come to my place to pick up the car in the morning and bring it back in the evening when it was going in for service, and leave me his car for the day). He was also a very straight up guy and knowledgeable - sometimes he stopped me from getting unnecessary service.

In the end it's all about relationship - if that goes away (he leaves the dealership for example) I will go away too. Not every service manager/dealership  I dealt with was "long term relationship" material though.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 10:48:34 am by carcrazy »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 11:16:59 am »
I still go to the dealer with my almost 12 years old Outlander but only because I developed a good and long relationship (going all the way back to 2007) with the service manager and the mechanic that works on my car. I get discounts on OEM parts which often bring them down to close to aftermarket, I get advice when to use OEM/aftermarket and he sources the parts accordingly, I get reduced labor costs and freeby services, if they screw something up they fix it without any fuss, I get loaner cars any time I need it... things like that.  I only get the service I need but they also check the car every time it's in the bay and let me know if anything else needs attention. On the other hand, I generated significant service revenue over all these years and with all maintenance I've done on my car so it's a mutually beneficial relationship.
this is how it should be, and it makes sense business wise to do it this way...keep the customers happy, they'll gladly return.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 11:23:15 am »
this is how it should be, and it makes sense business wise to do it this way...keep the customers happy, they'll gladly return.

:iagree:

I had the same with one of the Mazda dealerships here when I had my MX-6, they'd always go above & beyond when the car was in for service, never dicked me around and were always fair. Once the car wasn't ready as promised, the service adviser gave me a brand new Volvo S70 (they're a combined Mazda Volvo shop) as a loaner for the rest of the weekend. Even a few years ago when Bella got her 2nd Mazda 3, it came with wheel locks & no key, I called the dealer and the service manager says they have a set of keys so they should be able to get them off & replace them with new regular lug nuts. She brought the car in and sat in the lounge enjoying a complimentary coffee, 30mins later the car was done... no charge!!! That's a way to keep customers coming back  :thumbup:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 03:41:45 pm »
I had routine maintenance done on our 2011 Civic at the dealer for four years. They took good care of the car and did not seem to add on unnecessary items. Always needed to make an appointment in advance, but they were punctual during the appointment.