Author Topic: Quick Spin: 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque  (Read 2408 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Quick Spin: 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
« on: November 22, 2018, 04:35:42 pm »
Urban rover.

Read more

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +33/-97
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 VW GTI DSG, 2011 BMW 328i xDrive 6MT, 2007 Mitsubishi Outlander
Re: Quick Spin: 2020 Land Rover Range Rover Evoque
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2018, 09:05:33 am »
Pretty nice little SUV. More of a fashion statements than anything else, especially utility, but beautifully designed and executed.

Notable and not mentioned in the review that JLR will start rolling out support for Apple CarPlay and Android Auto and the new Evoque will be one of the first (if not the first) to get it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2018, 10:49:13 am »

Its ugly, not Discovery ugly, but damn.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2018, 10:52:39 am »

two of the partners here have Land Rover products (Disco Sports)...awful service from the dealer and both have been plagued with issues...they look good, but i'd never buy one.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2018, 10:57:52 am »

two of the partners here have Land Rover products (Disco Sports)...awful service from the dealer and both have been plagued with issues...they look good, but i'd never buy one.

Is that surprising, no? I still don't know how something so shoddily stapled together is considered a "high end" suv. A Defender 110, sure, theres not really enough equipment on them to go that wrong, something this fancy from the British, uh uh, nope, no thanks.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2018, 11:08:06 am »
My Mum's Disco Sport has been pretty good in the 3.5 years that she's owned it.

I don't like it because it's a 2.0T 4 cylinder.  While it may have decent power and good torque, it just sounds and feels like a 4-cylinder, and NVH isn't the greatest. 

One of the reasons I think the RX is still the class leader (one of many, many reasons) is that it still offers a true, honest-to-goodness V6 engine that just feels and sounds better than a turbo-four.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 11:10:45 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2018, 11:49:36 am »
^^^  I agree. The six is just so much nicer then the fours, and when you're dropping that kinda money, those impressions make a difference.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2018, 11:53:11 am »
^^^  I agree. The six is just so much nicer then the fours, and when you're dropping that kinda money, those impressions make a difference.
the two Discos here are turbo diesel V6 models...perhaps the turbo fours are more reliable (although, i don't think think any of the issues have been engine related).

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2018, 12:00:40 pm »
the two Discos here are turbo diesel V6 models...perhaps the turbo fours are more reliable (although, i don't think think any of the issues have been engine related).

There is a difference between the Discovery Sport and the Discovery.  The Discovery is the big, full-size Land Rover, while the Discovery Sport is the smaller one that has the 4-cylinder gas/diesel.  The Discovery Sport is the Land Rover that is built on the same platform as the Evoque.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2018, 01:24:15 pm »
If you want to compare the Evoque with something Lexus, it would be the NX in the same class (size wise) not RX and the NX comes with a turbo I4 only as well as you know. All these luxury pint-size SUVs they all come with I4 Turbo regardless the manufacturer and this is a given. V6 are extinct in luxury small/compact SUVs just like they are in the mainstream side of the market, with very few exceptions far and apart.

The Evoque competes in the upper side of the luxury with things like Jag E-Type and Porsche Macan and they are more about appearance, luxury, status rather than numbers. They all come base or only option with turbo I4. Nothing new here.
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 01:34:00 pm by carcrazy »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 23, 2018, 03:36:54 pm »

There is a difference between the Discovery Sport and the Discovery.  The Discovery is the big, full-size Land Rover, while the Discovery Sport is the smaller one that has the 4-cylinder gas/diesel.  The Discovery Sport is the Land Rover that is built on the same platform as the Evoque.
let me go look at the website, i might be mixing the names up.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2018, 03:38:16 pm »

sorry, Range Rover Sport...that's what they have.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2018, 03:42:55 pm »

Ahh, that's a completely different beast, then.

Offline Dante

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2018, 04:43:17 pm »

Ahh, that's a completely different beast, then.

... but they all have something in common: you will hear complains about all off them. However,  this doesn't change the fact that they are good looking and nice to sit in and sometimes drive them.

I do happen to like the Disco Sport a lot and checking periodically the owner forums. While I'm still considering and waiting for the new gen to shows up (2020 MY),  lease would be the only way.