Author Topic: My new truck was oversprayed while it was at the dealer.  (Read 7662 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: My new truck was oversprayed while it was at the dealer.
« Reply #20 on: November 22, 2018, 04:54:38 pm »
I wonder if they were undercoating something when your truck was in there.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

That's probably what it was.  It looks like a black, tar-ry substance that dried.  A little (a lot) must have snuck out from underneath the vehicle getting the treatment. 

Anyway, when I showed the service manager this morning, she was NOT impressed.  Definitely didn't look happy about it.  I've been communicating with her by email since I saw her this morning, expressing some of my concerns, and she's been doing a pretty good job of reassuring me.  She commiserated, and said she would understand if this was her new truck. Just the simple fact that we've been exchanging emails has me feeling a lot better about the whole situation. 

I'll update you guys on the resolution when I get the truck back next week (at this rate it's spending as much time in the shop as it is in my driveway...not sure that's a good thing for a Toyota, lol).

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: November 22, 2018, 05:16:40 pm »
While that sucks and I would be demanding the heads of whomever was responsible, its nice that the dealer stepped up and it can be quickly and easily rectified.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #22 on: November 22, 2018, 05:34:57 pm »
While that sucks and I would be demanding the heads of whomever was responsible, its nice that the dealer stepped up and it can be quickly and easily rectified.
WTF , demanding the head  ::)
Service manger stepped up
You don't need anything else

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: November 22, 2018, 06:48:58 pm »
Man this is a Toyota!! what's going on :-P
whatever it is, it looks easy to remove...prolly needs some clay bar, it sure looks like they drove over fresh asphalt but it wouldn't be all over the truck if that was the case.

tip for you, because your truck is white, it might be a good idea to learn how to use one....you will need it.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #24 on: November 22, 2018, 07:11:33 pm »
Someone goofed, and it's easily fixed and there's no need to start asking for people to be fired - then you just look like a douche.  Your approach is right, and the dealer's is dead on the money - they're making it right.  They can't go back in time, but they're doing their best to get your truck back to new.

The paint on the truck is brand new and I'm pretty sure it will be easy to knock off whatever did get on it.  New clearcoat is easy to work with, and I know detailing shops have all kinds of great products for dealing with things like this without affecting the longevity of the paint.

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #25 on: November 22, 2018, 07:26:35 pm »
I’m still going with my fungus theory. More exciting than the alternatives.  ;D

Someone would have to be really stupid to be spraying a tarry undercoating or bedliner inside a shop next to a white vehicle. And those are big splotches, so must have been pretty easy to see flying around, not a fine mist that the sprayer could have overlooked and might travel a ways.

Maybe there’s a flower bed full of mulch outside the dealership.  ;)

http://www.personal.psu.edu/users/d/d/ddd2/

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 23, 2018, 09:14:11 am »
tip for you, because your truck is white, it might be a good idea to learn how to use one....you will need it.

I learned to use one a decade ago when I was driving a brand new Civic SI (my only other new vehicle).  I gave up being so anal about my vehicles once I started buying 3-4 year old cars like my Ranger, Altima and Grand Caravan.  They weren't super nice vehicles, and therefore didn't really get the A+ treatment.

I may start being anal about this truck because its new. 

I'm feeling much better about this whole situation today.  The responses from the members here telling me not to worry have contributed to that (as well as the response from the dealership). 
« Last Edit: November 23, 2018, 09:16:27 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Online tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 23, 2018, 09:18:05 am »

The only annoyance with white cars is dealing with rail dust.  And for that you can a) buy a cleaner specifically for it or b) take 3 steps back from the car.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 23, 2018, 09:23:00 am »
IronX would work.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 26, 2018, 03:55:57 pm »
So, update time (and it's a good update):

I dropped off my truck this morning.  There was a little hiccup with the rental car.  They wanted me to pay for the insurance.  I told them to shove it, I wasn't going to be out of pocket for a single dime because of this whole situation.  It eventually got sorted and I drove away in a Rav4 Demo.  Since I've already given my impressions about the previous Rav4, I'm going to skip doing it again. 

Anyway, the truck was ready this afternoon.  When I went to pick it up I asked them to pull it in to their drive-thru bay so I could inspect it.  They seem to have done a good job.  I looked at the paint very closely and couldn't find any marks, or evidence of rubbing.  They got all the overspray off the windows and trim, too.  I may find the odd bit of overspray here or there the next time I detail the truck myself (in the spring), but I'm sure I'll be able to get anything further off myself.  In the meantime, they have done a good job.  They even detailed the interior for me (not that it needed much, it was two weeks old). 

So, I can confidently recommend that dealer to my friends and co-workers again. 

White is really growing on me as a colour for this truck. 
« Last Edit: November 26, 2018, 04:06:33 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2018, 06:20:18 pm »
 :thumbup: :thumbup:
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2018, 06:23:22 pm »
That's good news!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #32 on: November 26, 2018, 06:34:41 pm »
Missed this thread a few days ago.  Glad you are happy with the end result, and hopefully they used some solid detailing practices to remove the overspray.  If you happen to have a halogen lamp in your garage, I'd recommend shining it on your paint where they removed the overspray.........just to see  if they caused any imperfections in your paint while removing it. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #33 on: November 26, 2018, 07:30:30 pm »
 :thumbup:
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #34 on: November 26, 2018, 08:28:21 pm »
Normally I'm not a fan of white trucks as I think 99% of company vehicles are white.  But, that Tundra looks great!  I'd be tempted...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #35 on: November 26, 2018, 09:00:26 pm »
Glad you got it sorted out  :)
I like white because a car is visible on the road (knock on wood) to other drivers so ultimately it is safer.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #36 on: November 26, 2018, 09:02:39 pm »
Good stuff - glad to see the new Tundra is looking new again.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #37 on: November 26, 2018, 09:07:13 pm »
Excellent that it's all sorted out for you! Looks great.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #38 on: November 26, 2018, 10:06:41 pm »
Looks great, glad it got sorted out well. Really like the updated black housing headlamps on these, really updates the front end, when really it's only some paint on the same assemblies Toyota has been using for years - good call on their part.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2018, 12:58:26 pm »
Looks great, glad it got sorted out well. Really like the updated black housing headlamps on these, really updates the front end, when really it's only some paint on the same assemblies Toyota has been using for years - good call on their part.

Actually, that's because they switched from Halogen headlamps on the '17s to LED headlamps on the '18s.  It's a completely new enclosure.  The LED's are only available on the SR5's with TRD packages, as well as the Limited/Platinum trims.  The regular SR5 and SR trims get the standard Halogen headlights from '17.