Author Topic: Rust module & winter undercoating  (Read 5362 times)

Offline syllables

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
Rust module & winter undercoating
« on: November 20, 2018, 10:16:22 pm »
Is it necessary to get my car undercoated for the winter if it has a rust module?

I did a bit of a search on the forum, but I haven't really found anything that answered such a question.

My car is a 2018 Mazda 3 GT, and I do intend to keep it for longer term.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
Re: Rust module & winter undercoating
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2018, 10:17:36 pm »
Is it necessary to get my car undercoated for the winter if it has a rust module?

I did a bit of a search on the forum, but I haven't really found anything that answered such a question.

Get the car Krowned yearly and you'll be all set!

Rust modules generally are useless and don't do much except separate you from your hard earned money.

https://www.krown.com/en/
« Last Edit: November 20, 2018, 10:21:03 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2018, 10:32:58 pm »
^^^ Rust modules do nothing, as rrrrrrr noted.

Offline syllables

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2018, 10:51:48 pm »

Rust modules generally are useless and don't do much except separate you from your hard earned money.
I had some colleagues tell me they don't even spray and they don't have rust issues, so I wasn't sure exactly how effective the module will be.
I'll likely go to Krown and get that undercoating.

I gotta say, the dealership in Ottawa got me on that one for sure at signing day, one of those upsell packages.
I pay $60/mo for 6 years to have had that module put in, extend the powertain warranty to 6 years and bumper to bumper from 3 to 6, plus oil changes for the life of the car.

I got buddy to set me up for a pair of "good" winter wheels as well. Cross your fingers for me that they don't give me pure shite when I go in to get whatever they are put on on friday.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2018, 11:49:07 pm »

It's not really an undercoating.  It's more like vaporizing the vehicle in a slightly heavier version of WD40.  You'll need to do it every other year. 

Who knows, you're extended warranty may pay off.  Trust Mazda's extended warranty is transferable to next owner if need be.

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2018, 08:25:27 am »

I had some colleagues tell me they don't even spray and they don't have rust issues, so I wasn't sure exactly how effective the module will be.

I gotta say, the dealership in Ottawa got me on that one for sure at signing day, one of those upsell packages.
I pay $60/mo for 6 years to have had that module put in, extend the powertain warranty to 6 years and bumper to bumper from 3 to 6, plus oil changes for the life of the car.

I got buddy to set me up for a pair of "good" winter wheels as well. Cross your fingers for me that they don't give me pure shite when I go in to get whatever they are put on on friday.

Your module will be totally ineffective, they are designed to remove money from your wallet, nothing more.
Sorry
Mr Pickypants

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2018, 08:29:10 am »
Well, for the price, at least he got extended warranty and included services.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2018, 07:33:54 pm »
$4320 plus interest for at least 5 years  ... not really warranted on a Mazda 3 as they are a pretty well sorted vehicle.

Kind of an example of how ppl lose their minds temporarily when auto financing.

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2018, 07:52:06 pm »
I'm not saying it wasn't a rip off, but at least it isn't totally valueless.

I guess I'm just an optimist...

Offline syllables

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2018, 08:42:14 pm »
$4320 plus interest for at least 5 years  ... not really warranted on a Mazda 3 as they are a pretty well sorted vehicle.

No interest. It was 0% financing.

But yes indeed, it had come to me at a bad time...I had just moved to Ottawa, started the most demanding job of my life, my 2011 Hyundai Tucson tranny crapped out at 110,000km after a couple of weeks of me being here, had to figure it out all while not have wheels, being a runner and broiling in 30c+ heat with no AC unit in my apartment bc all the stores were sold out. Anyways, not to go on with my life story, but suffice it to say I wasn't at 100%, I was totally depleted while shopping for a car.

When you do the math, the warranty states you must get your oil changed at 8000km or once every 4 months. That makes 3 changes per year. $100 per oil change is what the dealership usually charges you. Say I keep the car for 10 years, that's the equivalent of $3000. So it's not to say that I'm not at least getting a good amount of it back and I have the guarantee that my car is FULLY protected for 6 years.

In the future though, yeah, I'd pass on those packages.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2018, 08:51:56 pm by syllables »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2018, 09:55:45 pm »

But yes indeed, it had come to me at a bad time...I had just moved to Ottawa, started the most demanding job of my life, my 2011 Hyundai Tucson tranny crapped out at 110,000km after a couple of weeks of me being here, had to figure it out all while not have wheels, being a runner and broiling in 30c+ heat with no AC unit in my apartment bc all the stores were sold out. Anyways, not to go on with my life story, but suffice it to say I wasn't at 100%, I was totally depleted while shopping for a car.

When you do the math, the warranty states you must get your oil changed at 8000km or once every 4 months. That makes 3 changes per year. $100 per oil change is what the dealership usually charges you. Say I keep the car for 10 years, that's the equivalent of $3000. So it's not to say that I'm not at least getting a good amount of it back and I have the guarantee that my car is FULLY protected for 6 years.

$100 for oil change , you are driving a Facking Lexus

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2018, 11:38:09 pm »

Don't lose too much sleep over this.  We've all had buyer's remorse because we were blinded by something new and shiny.  Live and learn.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #13 on: November 22, 2018, 08:00:17 am »
When i bought my Lexus the dealer was really pushing those rust modules.  The original offer was ~ $700 installed.  When i said no thanks they immediately dropped it in half.  The salesman actually brought me out to show me a traded in ES-350 that had one installed and pointed to all the shiny bits of aluminum....lol.  Ah, no thanks!  ::)  It gets Krowned yearly.
« Last Edit: November 22, 2018, 08:02:36 am by KD »

Offline syllables

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 22, 2018, 02:31:39 pm »

Don't lose too much sleep over this.  We've all had buyer's remorse because we were blinded by something new and shiny.  Live and learn.
Thanks for that.
Yeah, not going to lie, it still bothers me to this day. I do actually feel like I was tricked a bit on that sale. The salesman exaggerating numbers, playing around with payment frequency terms. I actually thought I was getting this for half the price he had mentioned. Sigh.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #15 on: November 22, 2018, 02:36:24 pm »

In Vancouver, it was $67 for the 8k and 16k, and $236 for the 24k (brake servicing, etc.)

In Kelowna, it was $80 and $300.

I don't even want to know what it is in Edmonton. Actually it was $95 and $400 as of 6 years ago. I was in Edmonton when my Mazda was due for an oil change.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #16 on: November 22, 2018, 05:14:38 pm »

In Vancouver, it was $67 for the 8k and 16k, and $236 for the 24k (brake servicing, etc.)

In Kelowna, it was $80 and $300.

I don't even want to know what it is in Edmonton. Actually it was $95 and $400 as of 6 years ago. I was in Edmonton when my Mazda was due for an oil change.
The RX 350 is $71 at Toyota dealer, and $100 at Lexus dealer
For my truck it is $59 at the dealer
Using  synthetic oil 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: November 22, 2018, 09:19:16 pm »

Which is why indies here are worth their weight in gold, literally!

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2018, 08:49:15 pm »
When you do the math, the warranty states you must get your oil changed at 8000km or once every 4 months.

4 months interval for oil changes is ridiculous to keep a motor warranty.  Such a waste of oil and time.  When will Mazda finally close it's doors  ???

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2018, 09:38:29 pm »
When you do the math, the warranty states you must get your oil changed at 8000km or once every 4 months.

4 months interval for oil changes is ridiculous to keep a motor warranty.  Such a waste of oil and time.  When will Mazda finally close it's doors  ???

Isn't Toyota 8K/6mths? Not much difference.  ::)