Author Topic: My New Toy (ota)  (Read 32984 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: My New Toy (ota)
« Reply #80 on: December 10, 2018, 01:04:53 pm »
^^I think that's something that people tell themselves sometimes when they want to feel better about having lesser equipment.

"Oh, it's just one less thing to break" -- yeah, but at the same time, you know you would take the better equipment if you could have.

In my case, the TRD Off Road Package adds so much to the SR5, that there isn't that much left to justify the additional $5400 to step up from the TRD to the Limited.

This is what the Limited has that my truck does not:

Leather (not real leather, though) seating surfaces
Soft Dash/woodgrain material
Rear Cross Traffic Alert
Dual Zone Auto Climate Control
20" wheels (vs my 18s)
Chrome door handles/exterior mirrors (vs my black ones)
Spray-in bed liner

You can ask yourselves if the above is worth a $5400 price bump or not. 

By comparison, the TRD package was a $3120 addition to the SR5 trim (the limited is $8520 over the basic SR5, and gets you most of the stuff listed below), and you get ALL this stuff:

Navigation
Clearance and Backup Sensors
Skid plates
Power Moonroof
Anti-Theft System
LED Foglamps
LED Auto Headlamps
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (with bonus compass!!!)
Bilstein Shocks
Nicer wheels and Tires.

Now THAT is a deal, if you ask me, and an easy decision to make. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #81 on: December 10, 2018, 01:19:40 pm »
^^I think that's something that people tell themselves sometimes when they want to feel better about having lesser equipment.

"Oh, it's just one less thing to break" -- yeah, but at the same time, you know you would take the better equipment if you could have.

In my case, the TRD Off Road Package adds so much to the SR5, that there isn't that much left to justify the additional $5400 to step up from the TRD to the Limited.

This is what the Limited has that my truck does not:

You can ask yourselves if the above is worth a $5400 price bump or not. 

By comparison, the TRD package was a $3120 addition to the SR5 trim (the limited is $8520 over the basic SR5, and gets you most of the stuff listed below), and you get ALL this stuff:

Now THAT is a deal, if you ask me, and an easy decision to make.

I like your deal. People will get upsold based on payments. "Oh the Limited is only $40 a week more" Fine print: for 7 years, after tax and interest.

But I will nitpick everything in your list.  ;D

Navigation Just another thing to break, needs to be updated every so often for $$$
Clearance and Backup Sensors Just another thing to break
Skid plates Just another thing to break
Power Moonroof Just another thing to break
Anti-Theft System Just another thing to break
LED Foglamps Just another thing to break, must replace entire assembly
LED Auto Headlamps Just another thing to break, must replace entire assembly
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (with bonus compass!!!) Just another thing to break
Bilstein Shocks Will you even offroad, bro?
Nicer wheels and Tires. Your forged wheels might be strong but you will cry the first time you curb them

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #82 on: December 10, 2018, 02:12:54 pm »
I may have missed it, but did you decide what to buy to cover up the bed? (If you plan to cover it)

Great purchase by the way, I have neighbours who tow and are on their 3rd one, nothing wrong with the old ones they just like driving newer vehicles.  But that they've happily re-purchased says a lot.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: December 10, 2018, 02:20:25 pm »
I may have missed it, but did you decide what to buy to cover up the bed? (If you plan to cover it)

Great purchase by the way, I have neighbours who tow and are on their 3rd one, nothing wrong with the old ones they just like driving newer vehicles.  But that they've happily re-purchased says a lot.

I got a great deal on a BNIB, soft tri-fold tonneau cover from a forum member here.  He is essentially giving it to me for free, all I had to pay was shipping which was $100.

I think it is something similar to this:

As for the bedliner, I'm going to buy a DIY kit.  I haven't made up my mind yet if I'll go Roll-on, or self-spray.  A lot of the spray-on kits come with the gun, so all you need is a compressor - my brother in law has a nice big one.  I have some time to read reviews and watch videos in order to make up my mind.  The bedliner will be a springtime project.

« Last Edit: December 10, 2018, 02:23:39 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #84 on: December 10, 2018, 10:27:35 pm »
But I will nitpick everything in your list.  ;D

Navigation Just another thing to break, needs to be updated every so often for $$$
Clearance and Backup Sensors Just another thing to break
Skid plates Just another thing to break
Power Moonroof Just another thing to break
Anti-Theft System Just another thing to break
LED Foglamps Just another thing to break, must replace entire assembly
LED Auto Headlamps Just another thing to break, must replace entire assembly
Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror (with bonus compass!!!) Just another thing to break
Bilstein Shocks Will you even offroad, bro?
Nicer wheels and Tires. Your forged wheels might be strong but you will cry the first time you curb them

:rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: January 29, 2019, 10:03:31 am »
So, a couple of weeks ago when it got really, really cold, my truck started making all sorts of creaking and groaning noises.  I just chalked it up to the weather being really cold.  Vehicles make all sorts of interesting noises when it's -30C.  Anyway, after the weather warmed up a little (if you consider -10C to -15C warming up) there was still a persistant 'squeaking' noise emanating from the passenger side dashboard/windshield area.  It would happen whenever driving over bumps, road imperfections, etc., and was very, very annoying.  Definitely not something you want to hear from a brand new Tundra. 

Anyway, I booked a service appt at the dealership and took it in this morning.  I waited around for 20 minutes so I could go for a drive with the tech and help him pin-point what the noise is, and where it is coming from.  A 10 minute drive, and a few minutes in the shop after, and the tech had pin pointed the noise to be a loose wiper cowl rubbing against the windshield.  The part has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty.

Thank Gawd, only a few more days of that awful squeaking left.  I knew I wasn't crazy, and am glad that I booked a service appt to have it looked at.  Normally I feel silly taking a vehicle in for squeaks and groans, but I'm happy I did this time.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #86 on: January 29, 2019, 12:11:24 pm »
Great truck GBA! Congratulations man! :thumbup:

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: January 29, 2019, 12:15:45 pm »
Great truck GBA! Congratulations man! :thumbup:

Yeah, we gotta meet up in the summer, now that you're in the Peg, preferably with Amaya.  You can show me your Duke. 

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #88 on: January 29, 2019, 12:20:10 pm »
Absolutely!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #89 on: January 29, 2019, 01:25:49 pm »
So, a couple of weeks ago when it got really, really cold, my truck started making all sorts of creaking and groaning noises.  I just chalked it up to the weather being really cold.  Vehicles make all sorts of interesting noises when it's -30C.  Anyway, after the weather warmed up a little (if you consider -10C to -15C warming up) there was still a persistant 'squeaking' noise emanating from the passenger side dashboard/windshield area.  It would happen whenever driving over bumps, road imperfections, etc., and was very, very annoying.  Definitely not something you want to hear from a brand new Tundra. 

Anyway, I booked a service appt at the dealership and took it in this morning.  I waited around for 20 minutes so I could go for a drive with the tech and help him pin-point what the noise is, and where it is coming from.  A 10 minute drive, and a few minutes in the shop after, and the tech had pin pointed the noise to be a loose wiper cowl rubbing against the windshield.  The part has been ordered and will be replaced under warranty.

Thank Gawd, only a few more days of that awful squeaking left.  I knew I wasn't crazy, and am glad that I booked a service appt to have it looked at.  Normally I feel silly taking a vehicle in for squeaks and groans, but I'm happy I did this time.
my coworker who had a 2018 RAV4 briefly had an issue with a squeaky seat...was getting ready to "fight" with the dealer about it...brought it in, had a quick test drive, confirmed squeaky seat and ordered a new one...easy peezy...it was impressive how they stand behind the vehicles.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #90 on: February 01, 2019, 03:48:44 pm »
And that's how they retain long term market share.  Plus Toyota actually stocks parts for timely delivery.   The others  .... "BACK ORDERED".   Ford is terrible for this.   

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 12, 2019, 09:29:52 am »
So, I forgot to update.  They replaced the wiper cowl a week ago...and...it wasn't the problem.  Squeak is still present.

The next thing they're going to try is resealing the windshield.  Hopefully that fixes it.  I'm just waiting for their bodyshop to tell me the parts are in. 

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Re: My New Toy (ota) - towing update
« Reply #92 on: October 21, 2019, 09:59:01 am »
So I want to do a little bit of a towing update.  I've towed with this truck before, but seeing as it was just my little popup that weighs 2500lbs wet, it wasn't much of a strain on the truck, and therefore not a true test of the truck's capabilities.  The truck just doesn't feel the pop-up on the back. 

Anyway, this weekend I borrowed a 7'x12' dump trailer from a friend so that I could help out with cleaning up all the branches that fell in our neighbourhood during the storm couple of weeks ago.  The trailer I borrowed is, well, one heckuva trailer.  It's got a dry weight of 5000lbs, and can take an additional 5000lbs of load, for a total GVW of 10 000lbs.  This is actually perfectly suited to my truck, because my truck has a tow rating of 9800lbs.  It's got double doors that open to either side, and it's also a dump trailer, with a full electric over hydraulic lift system.  And then to boot, it's got ramps hidden under the floor that you access by pulling out from the back.  Everything about it is heavy and built to last.  The tongue jack is of the size that you would see on a trailer pulled by a semi truck.  The wheels and tires are easily as big as those found on my truck.  Oh, and it has a roll tarp so you can easily (and legally) cover your load. If I were buying a trailer for a landscaping business, this is the trailer I would be looking at. 

Anyway, I don't know if it was the truck, or the trailer, or a combination of both, but towing that trailer with the Tundra was an amazing experience.  Granted, the branches I was pulling weren't very heavy, probably only 1000lbs or so at the heaviest load.  But the last thing I did on Sunday was move a bunch of my MIL's stuff from our basement to her new apartment on the other side of the city.  We filled the trailer with a bunch of her stuff, I'm guesstimating about 2000 - 2500lbs worth of stuff, for a total trailer weight of 7500lbs.  So, up there.  In addition to that, we loaded up the cab with 5 people, as my family was all excited to go see the MIL's new apartment.  I could definitely feel the weight behind me, as acceleration was definitely blunted, and the big 5.7L V8 spent a lot of time up around 4000 rpm and higher just getting up to speed.  That being said, the truck always pulled with authority, and it's actually nice hearing a hard-working V8.  Toyota's 5.7L V8 sounds great at full song. 

As far as handling, well, the truck's biggest disadvantage on a normal day is its biggest advantage when towing:  It's weight.  The Tundra has a curb weight of 5632lbs.  This means that the truck will be less affected by a heavy trailer as other, well, lighter trucks (like those made out of aluminum).  The truck stays planted, and you just don't feel the trailer behind you.  I've driven tow vehicles where you can definitely feel the trailer behind.  The trailer tugs and jerks, and anytime the trailer bounces, it affects the tow vehicle, you can feel the shudders from the trailer move through the tow vehicle.  Not so with the Tundra pulling a 7500lb trailer.  It was rock solid both at highway speeds, and through the city streets. 

Seriously.  I've driven other half ton trucks while towing, and I've also driven 3/4 ton work trucks while towing.  The Tundra feels more comparable to a big gasser 3/4 ton truck.  It's just got that heft that makes it a seriously good tow vehicle. 

Oh, and I got 23-25L/100kms all weekend long towing that trailer.  But I'm going to gloss over that.  It's not important. 

« Last Edit: October 21, 2019, 10:01:25 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline G.Bombay

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +11/-17
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: October 21, 2019, 10:16:18 am »
So I want to do a little bit of a towing update.  I've towed with this truck before, but seeing as it was just my little popup that weighs 2500lbs wet, it wasn't much of a strain on the truck, and therefore not a true test of the truck's capabilities.  The truck just doesn't feel the pop-up on the back. 

Anyway, this weekend I borrowed a 7'x12' dump trailer from a friend so that I could help out with cleaning up all the branches that fell in our neighbourhood during the storm couple of weeks ago.  The trailer I borrowed is, well, one heckuva trailer.  It's got a dry weight of 5000lbs, and can take an additional 5000lbs of load, for a total GVW of 10 000lbs.  This is actually perfectly suited to my truck, because my truck has a tow rating of 9800lbs.  It's got double doors that open to either side, and it's also a dump trailer, with a full electric over hydraulic lift system.  And then to boot, it's got ramps hidden under the floor that you access by pulling out from the back.  Everything about it is heavy and built to last.  The tongue jack is of the size that you would see on a trailer pulled by a semi truck.  The wheels and tires are easily as big as those found on my truck.  Oh, and it has a roll tarp so you can easily (and legally) cover your load. If I were buying a trailer for a landscaping business, this is the trailer I would be looking at. 

Anyway, I don't know if it was the truck, or the trailer, or a combination of both, but towing that trailer with the Tundra was an amazing experience.  Granted, the branches I was pulling weren't very heavy, probably only 1000lbs or so at the heaviest load.  But the last thing I did on Sunday was move a bunch of my MIL's stuff from our basement to her new apartment on the other side of the city.  We filled the trailer with a bunch of her stuff, I'm guesstimating about 2000 - 2500lbs worth of stuff, for a total trailer weight of 7500lbs.  So, up there.  In addition to that, we loaded up the cab with 5 people, as my family was all excited to go see the MIL's new apartment.  I could definitely feel the weight behind me, as acceleration was definitely blunted, and the big 5.7L V8 spent a lot of time up around 4000 rpm and higher just getting up to speed.  That being said, the truck always pulled with authority, and it's actually nice hearing a hard-working V8.  Toyota's 5.7L V8 sounds great at full song. 

As far as handling, well, the truck's biggest disadvantage on a normal day is its biggest advantage when towing:  It's weight.  The Tundra has a curb weight of 5632lbs.  This means that the truck will be less affected by a heavy trailer as other, well, lighter trucks (like those made out of aluminum).  The truck stays planted, and you just don't feel the trailer behind you.  I've driven tow vehicles where you can definitely feel the trailer behind.  The trailer tugs and jerks, and anytime the trailer bounces, it affects the tow vehicle, you can feel the shudders from the trailer move through the tow vehicle.  Not so with the Tundra pulling a 7500lb trailer.  It was rock solid both at highway speeds, and through the city streets. 

Seriously.  I've driven other half ton trucks while towing, and I've also driven 3/4 ton work trucks while towing.  The Tundra feels more comparable to a big gasser 3/4 ton truck.  It's just got that heft that makes it a seriously good tow vehicle. 

Oh, and I got 23-25L/100kms all weekend long towing that trailer.  But I'm going to gloss over that.  It's not important. 

Love that trailer,  you can get some serious work done with that setup.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: October 21, 2019, 11:17:05 am »
correct...all trucks guzzle fuel when towing heavy loads...it's part of the game...you gotta pay to play.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: October 21, 2019, 11:19:50 am »
correct...all trucks guzzle fuel when towing heavy loads...it's part of the game...you gotta pay to play.

I dunno.  I'm willing to bet a certain somebody on this forum will claim he could get 12L/100kms towing an 8000lb trailer in stop and go traffic with his aluminum truck.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: October 21, 2019, 11:21:41 am »

I dunno.  I'm willing to bet a certain somebody on this forum will claim he could get 12L/100kms towing an 8000lb trailer in stop and go traffic with his aluminum truck.
the same someone who once owned a "debadged" Mustang GT??...come on now, we all know he's full of :censor:.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: October 21, 2019, 03:09:50 pm »

the same someone who once owned a "debadged" Mustang GT??...come on now, we all know he's full of :censor:.

LOL, yeah him!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #98 on: October 21, 2019, 07:44:35 pm »
Towing SUCKS gas, omg.  Explains why those obese German SUVs drink gas so bad, weight is a huge enemy.  I've towed a few times with the Highlander and I can watch the fuel gauge moving.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #99 on: October 21, 2019, 08:13:21 pm »
I towed 2700 lb of washed rock in an open U-Haul trailer and it didn’t use much more fuel than usual, maybe 2 L/100km extra. Not having a whole lot of extra drag probably helped.