Author Topic: My New Toy (ota)  (Read 32985 times)

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
Re: My New Toy (ota)
« Reply #60 on: December 05, 2018, 04:47:59 pm »
Thanks for the update.

How short are your trips?  Do you have much idle time (allowing to warm up)?  I'm going to be eating my words if AS was right.  Again, I've never seen anything 20 or above in pure city driving.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #61 on: December 05, 2018, 04:58:16 pm »
Thanks for the update.

How short are your trips?  Do you have much idle time (allowing to warm up)?  I'm going to be eating my words if AS was right.  Again, I've never seen anything 20 or above in pure city driving.

They are pretty short. <2.5kms.  In the mornings, a fair bit of idling, not just to warm up, but because I run into McDonalds to grab a coffee for my wife while she and my kid wait in the truck, then I wait at the bus stop with her in the truck until shortly before her bus comes. 

So, the high mileage isn't really the truck's fault, it's more the way I'm using it, and I understand this.  On longer trips I'm seeing about 20L/100kms city, according to the trip computer.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #62 on: December 05, 2018, 05:01:15 pm »
So, the high mileage isn't really the truck's fault, it's more the way I'm using it, and I understand this.  On longer trips I'm seeing about 20L/100kms city, according to the trip computer.
it is what it is, and you knew this going in...no biggie.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: December 05, 2018, 06:55:34 pm »
On a tank recently I was sitting at 16.9.  It sat outside overnight and it was rather cold, around -20. I let it idle for about 15 minutes.  When I went back out to leave the reading was 18.1, and I already had 420km on that tank. Cold weather starts and idling will kill the economy.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #64 on: December 05, 2018, 08:56:30 pm »
Thanks for the update.

Don't worry about it.  ;)  Your on board calculator is inaccurate.  Toyota rigged those things for the first year or two.  Everyone in Toyota knows it.  ;D

So a Crew is slightly heavier, 20 inchers, wider tires .... it all adds up.  Driving in town like it's a car and not dogging it ... GBA numbers are the numbers. 

It really depends on the amount of usage whether it's an issue.  Doesn't make for a good Uber, well maybe in Churchill.  Also, forget any relief from "break in".

Enjoy the experience.  Those CrewMaxs are TANKS in a good way. 

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: December 05, 2018, 11:07:31 pm »
^ computer is accurate. I’ve checked. Tires are the same, he’s got a TRD. What else you got? ;D

It’s his really short trips and idle time.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #66 on: December 06, 2018, 12:57:39 am »
I know what he's got.  He's getting what I originally said.   You're dealing with a good sized v8, only 6 speeds with either a 4:10 or 4:30 rear diff so it's going to suck it bigly!   I think GBA is doing great at 21 L/100 for in town use.  Firstly, I don't look at the average, but when I do it's never below 27 L/100.  But the vehicles aren't mine so I drive them accordingly.     

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: December 06, 2018, 12:03:04 pm »
I'd like to point out that, even though nobody is saying that I am, I'm not complaining about the fuel economy.  I am merely stating what it is.  I (sorta) knew what I was getting into when I bought the truck.

That being said, I'm enjoying the responsiveness of a 381hp V8.  This truck is tuned differently than the van, for comparison's sake.  Whereas the van wasn't exactly a slouch (283hp is nothing to sneeze at), the transmission was quick to upshift and slow to downshift, in the name of efficiency.  The Pentastar also needed lots of revs to start making any real power.  The truck, on the other hand, has a transmission that is eager to downshift, and the V8 makes a lot more power and torque down at low RPM.  The van was more of a slow burn.  While not exactly, 'slow', off the line it took a while to build up steam, but once the Pentastar got to about 4500rpm, then it could really move.  The truck on the other hand, put it in 4HI, goose the throttle, and it positively leaps off the line, and just keeps going. 

The biggest thing that makes me smile?  The cooling fan on startup.  So, most modern trucks and cars have electronically controlled cooling fans that only come on when the computer tells it to.  The Tundra has one of the old-style fans that is driven by a mechanical connection to the engine, and has a clutch.  When you first start the truck, the cooling fan runs for about 30sec before it declutches.  When you start the truck, you get a loud 'whooshing' noise for 30 seconds, then it stops and you're left with the tick of the injectors and valvetrain, and the burbling of the exhaust.  This is so reminiscent of trucks from the 90's.  It reminds me of the Rams that my Dad had when I was a kid, that had similar startup sounds.  Then you pull out of the driveway, and even at low throttle, the V8 makes all the right, deep, bass sounds.  This truck is so old school in some ways that it brings me back to my childhood, and I absolutely love it. 
« Last Edit: December 06, 2018, 01:49:40 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #68 on: December 06, 2018, 01:43:16 pm »
Lol I love that about my Sequoia too. It's too be expected but my old Mazda MPV did the same thing and it scared my brother who did not expect that from a minivan.  :rofl2:

381 HP sounds so nice and one reason why I would've liked the 2009, but hearing about the dreaded cam tower leaks that affected the 5.7L engines all the way up to 2015 (that's the newest Sequoia/Tundra I heard was affected by it) made me a little glad I went with the 4.7L engine instead. Nothing bad for the engine but it is what it sounds like, oil seeping out of the cam tower.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: December 06, 2018, 08:57:33 pm »
I'd like to point out that, even though nobody is saying that I am, I'm not complaining about the fuel economy.  I am merely stating what it is.  I (sorta) knew what I was getting into when I bought the truck.

I know that you are not complaining and I credit you for being accurate in your reporting.  That's rare on here.  :D

Yes, the vehicle is explosive off the line/roll out which in large part is due to the monster 4:10 or 4:30 ratio diff which is a crazy stock ratio.  Ford F150 5.0 comes with a 3:31.  The highest ratio offered is 3:73.   GM is slightly lower on the 5.3 and maxs out at approx. 3:73.  Only in the Raptor can one get a 4:10.   Hence that's why the Tundra sucks the gas more than any 1/2.

Offline pi314

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +59/-95
    • View Profile
  • Cars: VW Golf Sportwagen 4Motion 6MT ;Dearly Departed 2015 Honda Fit EX 6MT
« Reply #70 on: December 06, 2018, 09:36:16 pm »
Ok now I see the show and shine for the truck. Looks good! Congrats. Well done.

What you lose in fuel you "save" in next-to-no depreciation.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: December 08, 2018, 11:06:59 am »
Great car and love that colour.

Was the climate control off or where does it show you the interior temps? Glad it has dual zone, not sure I could go back to single zone again.

Our van had tri-zone, and now the truck has single zone.  The wife and I definitely fight a little bit over temperature.  When I say 'fight', I mean she turns the temperature down, and I just let her, because happy wife...

Does the new Tundra only have a single zone? The older 2nd gen Tundra SR5 had manual controls but still two zones at least.

My SR5 Tundra has single zone, manual climate control.  You have to step up to the Limited (the middle trim) to get Dual Zone automatic climate control.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: December 08, 2018, 11:19:06 am »
^Odd they went that direction.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: December 08, 2018, 11:30:12 am »
If you ask me, its because they need something to differentiate the higher trim levels from the SR5.  The SR5 TRD is so ridiculously well equipped that there isn't that much more you can put on the Limited and Platinum trims.

Better seat and dash materials, and some minor equipment like the HVAC controls, I suppose.  The drivetrains are identical from trim to trim, so there is no differentiation there.  Limited and Platinums have nicer exterior features, like body coloured mirrors, bumpers, and nicer grilles, but you can't charge an additional $5-$10k just for a few baubles.  Gotta have some actually equipment changes, too, I guess.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: December 08, 2018, 10:18:32 pm »
^^

IMO, single or dual is so insignificant to the comfort in the cabin.  Ultimately it just less to go wrong. 

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: December 08, 2018, 10:20:16 pm »
^^

IMO, single or dual is so insignificant to the comfort in the cabin.  Ultimately it just less to go wrong.
I dunno..IQ likes it.

If it wasn't for dual zone I'd likely melt she likes it so warm.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: December 08, 2018, 10:34:33 pm »
they're called seat heaters  :D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: December 08, 2018, 10:47:53 pm »
they're called seat heaters  :D
She uses em! But she's tropical and doesn't mix well with cold

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #78 on: December 09, 2018, 05:22:29 pm »
Great car and love that colour.

Was the climate control off or where does it show you the interior temps? Glad it has dual zone, not sure I could go back to single zone again.

Our van had tri-zone, and now the truck has single zone.  The wife and I definitely fight a little bit over temperature.  When I say 'fight', I mean she turns the temperature down, and I just let her, because happy wife...

Does the new Tundra only have a single zone? The older 2nd gen Tundra SR5 had manual controls but still two zones at least.

My SR5 Tundra has single zone, manual climate control.  You have to step up to the Limited (the middle trim) to get Dual Zone automatic climate control.

Yes, but fool proof. No electronics to foul up in five years.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #79 on: December 10, 2018, 12:18:25 pm »
Yes, but fool proof. No electronics to foul up in five years.

??? The auto climate control in my 16 year old Sequoia works fine.

Knock on wood.