Author Topic: My New Toy (ota)  (Read 32982 times)

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
Re: My New Toy (ota)
« Reply #20 on: November 14, 2018, 04:45:53 pm »
For the most Toyotas have a strong resale value.  Since I haven't watched the used truck market carefully, does anyone want to help me out with comparing the resale value of a Tundra compared to an F150 or Silverado.  Tooscoops?  Not sure if Toyota's have the rebates of the Big 3 either?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #21 on: November 14, 2018, 04:50:36 pm »
Nice rig buddy!! Many happy, trouble free years ahead.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #22 on: November 14, 2018, 05:13:47 pm »
Boss.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #23 on: November 14, 2018, 05:43:40 pm »
Congrats on the new truck! Nice to see something that's relatively simple and not all blinged out with a bunch of options. Whenever I do my fantasy shopping on the Toyota.ca build & price, I'm always drawn to the Tacoma 4x2 with a stick. I was actually bummed when they dropped the four-banger.  ;D  When it comes to trucks, simpler is better, IMO. Seems like you've found the sweet spot with just as much truck as you'll need.

And I hear you about the ride height these days. We had a new F350 at work this summer and that thing was ridiculous. I'm 6'3" and all legs, and I could barely climb into that thing. Side steps are pretty much mandatory.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2018, 05:53:27 pm »

And I hear you about the ride height these days. We had a new F350 at work this summer and that thing was ridiculous. I'm 6'3" and all legs, and I could barely climb into that thing. Side steps are pretty much mandatory.

I had an F150 with Off Road package long ago (1997?).  It rode high.  It only seem to be an issue when my date was wearing a dress.  So I kept a milk crate in the bed as a step stool for such occasions.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #25 on: November 14, 2018, 06:03:46 pm »
looks great...interestingly enough, i watched a video recently comparing this truck to the new Ram Rebel on TFL (done by the Canadian that lives not too far from here)...despite the lack of a true LSD or locking diff, it still managed some moderate off road testing that he did and he was quite pleased with how well it worked, despite initial thoughts it might not make it (the muddy track he drove it through).

I saw that.  That was the 2019 TRD Pro, which is a much more hardcore off-road package, and something like $12000 more expensive than my truck's MSRP.
ah, Pro...you're right...either way, the truck was very impressive.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #26 on: November 14, 2018, 07:18:16 pm »
Congrats GBA.  Proper vehicle for RVing.  You mention the Big 3 has a few advantages.  May I ask what made you decide to go with the Toyota?

Their reputation for reliability, as well as their tremendous resale value.  If I keep the Tundra for 10 years or more, I shouldn't have too many issues with it, and it should remain feeling solid.  Should I decide I want to part ways with it after a few years, I won't lose much, if any money on it. 

It is inferior in almost every tangible way to the Big 3.  Ride quality, interior materials, features, fuel economy, tow rating, etc. 

There is also some measure of exclusivity with a Tundra (sort of).  They sell about 1/8th of the trucks that Ford sells.  When I see a Ford F150 on the road, it's just another Ford.  When I see a Toyota, it always makes me turn my head, because you don't really see that many of them. 

OH, another thing that stands out as inferior with the Tundra:  Storage Nooks.  Other trucks (like the Ram) have compartments under the rear floor where you can store things like hitches, straps, and other misc.  Fords and Chevy's probably have similar storage solutions under the seats. 

With the Tundra?  No such storage.  My options for storing my trailering equipment will be either the door pockets, or in a Tupperware bin in the bed.  I'm actually considering something like this for that very purpose:
https://www.partsengine.ca/SC205D-vp-Undercover-86.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc_1ldjjvErJou04wiIT3SN89wEZsLkYXyieoGEcPTkSd3Alpe_lrnBoC0vgQAvD_BwE

Congrats GBA, great looking truck and great truck.  A lot of the things you mentioned are the reasons why I ended up with my F-150 Lariat.  I felt I was giving up to many features with the Tundra compared to the F-150.  But I am also leasing it through my business so resale wasn't a concern.  If I were purchasing for the long haul, it would of been the Tundra hands down. 
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #27 on: November 14, 2018, 07:20:09 pm »
Nice ride, man! Looks mean!

You're going to love it and you'll realize quickly that a crewcab pickup is just a minivan from bros  :P

Haha, that's a great way of putting it.   ;D

I've said on the forum a few times before, but I really think that a crew cab pickup is a better family vehicle than an SUV (Unless you need a 7 seater).

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 14, 2018, 07:26:16 pm »
Nice in white. Betcha that power rear window won't be rolled down anymore until May.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 14, 2018, 07:30:06 pm »
Congrats on the new truck! Nice to see something that's relatively simple and not all blinged out with a bunch of options. Whenever I do my fantasy shopping on the Toyota.ca build & price, I'm always drawn to the Tacoma 4x2 with a stick. I was actually bummed when they dropped the four-banger.  ;D  When it comes to trucks, simpler is better, IMO. Seems like you've found the sweet spot with just as much truck as you'll need.

You can still get a 4 banger in the Tacoma  4 by 2 but it's automatic only.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #30 on: November 14, 2018, 08:11:25 pm »
Congrats again, this will be a great vehicle for your usage.

On the topic of storage; under the rear seat in these Tundra's there is just a foam pad under the carpet. There's a storage bin you can buy (I think Husky is the brand), it comes with a template you trace out on the carpet, then cut out the holes for it, and drop in the liner. So simple, and very effective.

Here's one I installed in one of the trucks I built for work (marketing vehicle):

P.S I *might* have a tonneau cover for this truck sitting in the shop; if I do it would be a soft tri-fold (new in box). I'll try to remember to look when I am there next week, if I have it I am happy to send it to you if you want to cover the shipping.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: November 14, 2018, 08:35:40 pm »

On the topic of storage; under the rear seat in these Tundra's there is just a foam pad under the carpet. There's a storage bin you can buy (I think Husky is the brand), it comes with a template you trace out on the carpet, then cut out the holes for it, and drop in the liner. So simple, and very effective.

Here's one I installed in one of the trucks I built for work (marketing vehicle):

P.S I *might* have a tonneau cover for this truck sitting in the shop; if I do it would be a soft tri-fold (new in box). I'll try to remember to look when I am there next week, if I have it I am happy to send it to you if you want to cover the shipping.

Hey, good idea with those bins, and I would absolutely take you up on the offer for that tonneau cover.  PM me if you still have it.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #32 on: November 14, 2018, 08:47:21 pm »
^Great offer Firm, and congrats again on the purchase GBA.

Does Toyota not make the storage bin for the rear seat anymore?  Use mine regularly
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 08:48:59 pm »
Nice truck. I know the Tundra falls behind in features, etc, but it's still the full sized truck I'd be looking for if I wanted such a beast.

I keep things, and the Tundra is a keeper.

Online Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #34 on: November 14, 2018, 08:58:40 pm »

Hey, good idea with those bins, and I would absolutely take you up on the offer for that tonneau cover.  PM me if you still have it.

Yep - I am actually in New York for work and won't be back in the office till Monday, probably not in the shop till Tuesday - I'll try to remember to check then and I'll PM you.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 14, 2018, 09:03:04 pm »

Yep - I am actually in New York for work and won't be back in the office till Monday, probably not in the shop till Tuesday - I'll try to remember to check then and I'll PM you.

Hey hey, no rush!

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #36 on: November 14, 2018, 09:52:57 pm »
Congrats!  What a great truck!
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline mrthompson

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +70/-42
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Honda CR-V (The Green Machine)
« Reply #37 on: November 14, 2018, 10:12:19 pm »
 :cheers:

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 15, 2018, 04:54:45 pm »
Congrats, hope it serves you well...and why wouldn't it.

Friend from Steinbach is getting his soon - a 2019 - apparently it's in Wpg, they just have to get it.  Also white (because you can only get 3 colours and he wasn't sure he wanted the blue, and didn't want black, or silver, whatever #3 is), TRD Pro.  Only one in MB and his dealer had to fight to get it. No wiggle room, but they gave him $10g for a 10 yr old Titan.  Maybe it's 12. IIRC it's a 2007. Pretty decent I figure. 

So...now it's off to GNR and time to look for that bunk model! (I'd sell you mine...but we're not done with it yet... :P)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: November 15, 2018, 04:58:21 pm »
Congrats, hope it serves you well...and why wouldn't it.

Friend from Steinbach is getting his soon - a 2019 - apparently it's in Wpg, they just have to get it.  Also white (because you can only get 3 colours and he wasn't sure he wanted the blue, and didn't want black, or silver, whatever #3 is), TRD Pro.  Only one in MB and his dealer had to fight to get it. No wiggle room, but they gave him $10g for a 10 yr old Titan.  Maybe it's 12. IIRC it's a 2007. Pretty decent I figure. 

So...now it's off to GNR and time to look for that bunk model! (I'd sell you mine...but we're not done with it yet... :P)

Let me know when you are done with it.  I'll be looking for a deal over the next couple of years.