Author Topic: My New Toy (ota)  (Read 32941 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
My New Toy (ota)
« on: November 14, 2018, 01:50:40 pm »
So,  you're all well aware of it, but here is the Official Show 'n Shine thread.

It is a 2018 Toyota Tundra CrewMax SR5 4x4 with TRD Off Road Package.

The Tundra is available in two cabs.  The smaller Double Cab, and the larger CrewMax.  I'm 6'1", and with the CrewMax I can sit behind myself and still have 12" of knee room to the front seat. 

The SR5 is the base model truck, yet a base model Tundra is equivalent to mid-trim of pretty much every other truck.  With the Crewmax SR5 trim, you get cloth heated bucket seats with the driverside being 8-way power, Toyota's 7" Entune Infotainment, fully retractable rear window (defrosted, too), two sets of floor mats (summer/winter), LED DRL's, as well as Toyota's Safety Sense P.  Safety Sense P is comprised of Radar Cruise Control with auto-stop (only works at speeds over 50 km/h, so for highway use only), Lane Keep Assist (warning, not actual steering), Auto High Beam, and Pre-Collision System (warns you to stop if it detects an object in front of you, and will apply the brakes if you do nothing).  Oh, and this thing has a HUGE 144L Fuel tank.  It will easily do 1000+ hwy kms.

The TRD Off-Road Package is a $4400 package that gets you: Navigation, Clearance Sensors, fuel tank protector plate, Power Moonroof, LED Foglamps and Headlamps, Auto Dimming Rear View Mirror, Billstein shocks, and upgraded 18" wheels and tires.

The engine on pretty much all Tundra's is a 5.7L I-Force V8 (the only Tundra that gets the 4.6L is the DoubleCab SR trim...ALL the others get the 5.7L), good for 381 hp and 401 lb-ft of torque.  All 5.7L Tundra's are set up with a Class IV Hitch, Integrated Brake Controller, 7/4-Pin Wiring, and Sway Control.  The truck has a tow rating of 9200lbs, and rated fuel consumption of BAD L/100kms.  (18/14.2/16.3 L/100Kms, City/Hwy/Combined).  You get A-Trac, which is a type of electronic LSD.  But not a real LSD.  Rather, it's the kind that uses the brakes to slow the spinning wheel without actually cutting engine power.  I'm actually surprised that the TRD Off Road package doesn't come with a real LSD, but I also understand that this isn't a REAL off-road truck.

My initial impressions are good.  Why wouldn't they be?  It's a brand new truck.  The interior materials are comparable to a Grand Caravan.  There are lots of hard plastics pretty much everywhere, as well as some shiny Plasti-Chrome.  If I was coming from a Lexus or a Ram into this truck, I'd be disappointed.  As it is, I'm upgrading from a Grand Caravan, so I'm happy.  It's all relative, right? Everything feels tight and well-put-together. One omission I should point out is the lack of a leather-wrapped steering wheel.  At this price point, its an odd omission. The Gauge Cluster has TONS of information, as well as real dials showing fuel level, coolant temp, oil temp (I haven't figured out yet if its engine oil or tranny oil temp), and voltage.  It's so nice to have real gauges for this stuff, especially when towing.
The Entune system seems to work okay.  The Nav is nice, and you get turn-by-turn directions in the little TFT screen in the gauge cluster.  One thing I miss about Dodge's UConnect system is that when you receive a text, you can ask UConnect to read it out to you with the speech-to-text function.  I haven't found out if Entune has this; so far all that has happened is Entune has prompted me that the vehicle must not be in motion in order to read the text message.  So, that's kind of annoying. 

Driving it is nice.  Driving position is obviously very truck-like.  You sit upright and very high up.  The engine makes very nice V8 noises, although it probably doesn't sound as good as a Hemi (Dodge has nailed the V8, as far as I'm concerned).  The transmission is a 6-speed transmission, and it seems eager to respond, even if it has 2-4 fewer gears than ALL the competition.  I drove it home in the dark, as well as to work this morning.  The LED headlights (auto on, btw) are VERY bright, and illuminate the road with no issues.  Other than the gruff sounds of the V8, the truck drives very quietly (especially compared to my creaky old van).  Wind noise is minimal.  It definitely rides like a truck, and doesn't respond especially well to broken up pavement.  Ride, Handling, Fuel Economy and Interior is definitely inferior to all the Big 3 Fullsize trucks.  I'll let you make your own conclusions on the Tundra's advantages...

There are a few things that I'll have to do to this truck:  Winter Tires (Blizzak DM-V2's) are incoming in a couple of weeks.  It will need a bedliner, and a tonneau cover.  For the bedliner, I'm considering doing a roll-on bedliner myself in the spring.  My Dad put one on his Colorado with excellent results.  I'll decide if I want a hard tonneau cover or a soft tonneau cover, depending on cost come springtime.  After less than 24hrs of ownership, I've already decided we are going to need some side steps to climb into the cab of this thing.  It's a bit of a stretch for me, so it must feel massive for my wife.  My daughter isn't even entertaining the thought of climbing into this truck. 

Anyway, here are some pictures:

« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 02:45:38 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
Re: My New Toy (ota)
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2018, 01:59:24 pm »
Looks nice
Running boards are must now

Offline JG20

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +24/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Subaru WRX STI, 2022 Acura MDX (wifey's)
« Reply #2 on: November 14, 2018, 02:00:00 pm »
Congrats! That's a great deal on a well packaged truck.  :thumbup:

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #3 on: November 14, 2018, 02:04:15 pm »
Great truck! Looks massive. Must feel large to drive compared to the Grand Caravan. Doesn't the lane keep assist turn the wheel slightly to keep the vehicle in lane? If it doesn't, it must be lane departure warning?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 14, 2018, 02:07:45 pm »
Great truck! Looks massive. Must feel large to drive compared to the Grand Caravan. Doesn't the lane keep assist turn the wheel slightly to keep the vehicle in lane? If it doesn't, it must be lane departure warning?

I'm not entirely sure, actually.  Maybe it does.  I'll need to do a bit of reading. 

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #5 on: November 14, 2018, 02:18:58 pm »
Looks great!!!

You really need sidesteps though? You're pretty tall, no? I had them on my Wrangler, but never used them for getting in or out.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 14, 2018, 02:19:48 pm »
Looks great!!!

You really need sidesteps though? You're pretty tall, no? I had them on my Wrangler, but never used them for getting in or out.

I'm tall, and can manage it.  It's the rest of my family that I'm concerned about.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #7 on: November 14, 2018, 02:24:53 pm »
Awesome!  8)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #8 on: November 14, 2018, 02:29:42 pm »
Looks great!!!

I'm tall, and can manage it.  It's the rest of my family that I'm concerned about.

They'll grow into it  :rofl2:

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 14, 2018, 02:31:12 pm »
Congrats
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2018, 02:32:07 pm »
Haha my wife was geting into a Sequoia and was struggling with it, despite having running boards.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2018, 02:33:14 pm »
Congrats and great job on a proper show and shine.

Offline Nate4x4

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +9/-3
  • Vehicle Reader
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 94 Toyota Camry
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2018, 02:38:37 pm »
That's a good-looking beast! Congrats.... :thumbup:
If you can't DODGE it, RAM IT!!!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 14, 2018, 02:46:34 pm »
The lack of a leather wrapped steering wheel is an odd omission at this price point.  I would have thought it would have been packaged with the TRD package, but it seems like you need to step up to the Limited Trim.

It's odd because it is standard equipment in a LOT of cheaper vehicles, including the Altima and Grand Caravan that we had.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #14 on: November 14, 2018, 03:01:25 pm »
looks great...interestingly enough, i watched a video recently comparing this truck to the new Ram Rebel on TFL (done by the Canadian that lives not too far from here)...despite the lack of a true LSD or locking diff, it still managed some moderate off road testing that he did and he was quite pleased with how well it worked, despite initial thoughts it might not make it (the muddy track he drove it through).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #15 on: November 14, 2018, 03:03:33 pm »
It's probably more durable/easier to maintain without the leather. Not sure if Toyota's wrapped wheels are leather or "leatherette".
The lack of a leather wrapped steering wheel is an odd omission at this price point.  I would have thought it would have been packaged with the TRD package, but it seems like you need to step up to the Limited Trim.

It's odd because it is standard equipment in a LOT of cheaper vehicles, including the Altima and Grand Caravan that we had.

It's probably more durable/easier to maintain without the leather. Not sure if Toyota's wrapped wheels are leather or "leatherette".

ltruong

« Reply #16 on: November 14, 2018, 03:13:22 pm »
Nice!!.  I love the size of the back seat and that window coming down

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 14, 2018, 03:22:51 pm »
looks great...interestingly enough, i watched a video recently comparing this truck to the new Ram Rebel on TFL (done by the Canadian that lives not too far from here)...despite the lack of a true LSD or locking diff, it still managed some moderate off road testing that he did and he was quite pleased with how well it worked, despite initial thoughts it might not make it (the muddy track he drove it through).

I saw that.  That was the 2019 TRD Pro, which is a much more hardcore off-road package, and something like $12000 more expensive than my truck's MSRP.

Offline Solstice2006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +245/-468
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2008 Hyundai Entourage, 2007 Buick Lucerne
« Reply #18 on: November 14, 2018, 03:58:49 pm »
Congrats GBA.  Proper vehicle for RVing.  You mention the Big 3 has a few advantages.  May I ask what made you decide to go with the Toyota?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 14, 2018, 04:05:11 pm »
Congrats GBA.  Proper vehicle for RVing.  You mention the Big 3 has a few advantages.  May I ask what made you decide to go with the Toyota?

Their reputation for reliability, as well as their tremendous resale value.  If I keep the Tundra for 10 years or more, I shouldn't have too many issues with it, and it should remain feeling solid.  Should I decide I want to part ways with it after a few years, I won't lose much, if any money on it. 

It is inferior in almost every tangible way to the Big 3.  Ride quality, interior materials, features, fuel economy, tow rating, etc. 

There is also some measure of exclusivity with a Tundra (sort of).  They sell about 1/8th of the trucks that Ford sells.  When I see a Ford F150 on the road, it's just another Ford.  When I see a Toyota, it always makes me turn my head, because you don't really see that many of them. 

OH, another thing that stands out as inferior with the Tundra:  Storage Nooks.  Other trucks (like the Ram) have compartments under the rear floor where you can store things like hitches, straps, and other misc.  Fords and Chevy's probably have similar storage solutions under the seats. 

With the Tundra?  No such storage.  My options for storing my trailering equipment will be either the door pockets, or in a Tupperware bin in the bed.  I'm actually considering something like this for that very purpose:
https://www.partsengine.ca/SC205D-vp-Undercover-86.aspx?gclid=CjwKCAiArK_fBRABEiwA0gOOc_1ldjjvErJou04wiIT3SN89wEZsLkYXyieoGEcPTkSd3Alpe_lrnBoC0vgQAvD_BwE
« Last Edit: November 14, 2018, 04:58:20 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »