Author Topic: Do You Need a Pick-up Truck for Towing? Not Necessarily  (Read 5179 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Re: Do You Need a Pick-up Truck for Towing? Not Necessarily
« Reply #20 on: November 13, 2018, 08:30:06 am »
It's more of a "should" vs. "can" question for me. While I don't have the towing experience of some of you guys, I have done quite a bit, especially recently, and usually with fairly heavy trailers (24' enclosed car trailer, 16' enclosed utility).

Bigger trucks are always better when towing....I've done the car trailer with a 2017 F-250 Powerstroke (presser) and barely even felt the trailer (with a Camaro loaded), and then towed the same with my 2014 Ram 1500 and while it was pretty stable and took the weight well (has Timbren HD bumpstops) the engine struggled a bit, especially into the wind on the highway or on steep grades.

The 16' enclosed I've towed with the Ram, Escalade & Wrangler JK (4-door) and while all were capable, the Ram and Escalade were significantly more stable and way less strained than the Jeep. The Jeep was only used in the city, I don't think I would've been comfortable with it on the highway.

I did recently tow a 16' open utility trailer, with a fairly light load, so maybe total trailer weight around 1500-2000lbs with a 2019 Infiniti QX50 (presser). Wouldn't have been my choice vehicle, but some last minute logistics left me without much choice. It had the factory tow package with a 3000lb rating and I was actually really impressed. It pulled very well, likely because the load was well under the vehicle capacity, and being an open trailer there was a lot less wind resistance than I am used to.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #21 on: November 13, 2018, 10:37:54 am »
while driving the other day on the 402, i saw an F-1/250 towing a trailer with assorted items in the back (kind of medium sized open trailer)...the truck was driving at about 110 km/hr, and i noticed a slight shimmy in the trailer, which very quickly turned into an almost violent back and forth sway...the driver immediately applied some brakes to slow down, and it straightened itself out quickly...that was the first time i've ever seen that...my guess is, the truck was not equipped with "Trailer Sway Control", and after seeing that, i think they feature should be standard if you are towing...had the driver not reacted quickly to stop it, i can't imagine it would have taken much more sway to either flip the trailer or truck or at least uncouple it from the truck, which could have resulted in a pretty serious accident.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #22 on: November 13, 2018, 10:48:04 am »
All tow vehicles have this thing called sway control, its called the trailer brakes. If you ever feel the trailer get squirrelly, apply the trailer brakes. Its a pucker moment for sure, but hauling a trailer, you have to be ready for it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #23 on: November 13, 2018, 10:59:20 am »
All tow vehicles have this thing called sway control, its called the trailer brakes. If you ever feel the trailer get squirrelly, apply the trailer brakes. Its a pucker moment for sure, but hauling a trailer, you have to be ready for it.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

My JGC has trailer sway control as follows:

A trailer sway control feature is available on 2008-up models of the Grand Cherokee. Trailer Sway Control uses sensors in the vehicle to recognize an excessively swaying trailer and will take the appropriate actions to attempt to stop the sway. The system may reduce engine power and apply the brake of the appropriate wheel(s) to counteract the sway of the trailer. The TSC will become active automatically once an excessively swaying trailer is recognized. No driver action is required.

What it Does:

Reduces trailer sway and improves handling in adverse towing conditions caused by crosswinds, traffic and improper weight distribution on the trailer
How it Works:

The system monitors the vehicle’s movement relative to the driver’s intended path and the vehicle yaw sensor recognizes sway

System applies brake pressure on one front wheel to counteract the yaw induced by the trailer and applies brake pressure to all four wheels to slow the vehicle

As the trailer sways to the other side of the vehicle, Trailer Sway Control will increase pressure to the opposite side of the vehicle

The system will continue to apply alternating brake pressure and reduce engine torque until the trailer is under control
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2018, 11:12:34 am »
i don't know for sure, but perhaps this utility trailer didn't have it's own brakes?...in any case, it didn't look like a fun drive...once he stabilized it, i made sure to get around him...i didn't want to be anywhere near that thing if it flipped or came loose.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2018, 12:07:05 pm »
i don't know for sure, but perhaps this utility trailer didn't have it's own brakes?...in any case, it didn't look like a fun drive...once he stabilized it, i made sure to get around him...i didn't want to be anywhere near that thing if it flipped or came loose.

I would guess that there are lots of vehicles out there pulling trailers without brakes, for a multitude of reasons.  The trailer brakes may not be working, or more likely, the vehicle isn't equipped with a brake controller (remember, integrated brake controllers still aren't standard equipment on all new trucks).  Some people probably don't know that trailer brakes are even a thing. 

Some trailers (like boat trailers, certain U-haul trailers) are equipped with surge brakes that are not driver controllable (but at least you don't need a brake controller to use them).

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2018, 03:58:17 pm »
I would guess that there are lots of vehicles out there pulling trailers without brakes, for a multitude of reasons.  The trailer brakes may not be working, or more likely, the vehicle isn't equipped with a brake controller (remember, integrated brake controllers still aren't standard equipment on all new trucks).  Some people probably don't know that trailer brakes are even a thing. 

Some trailers (like boat trailers, certain U-haul trailers) are equipped with surge brakes that are not driver controllable (but at least you don't need a brake controller to use them).
i think the sway control/brake controller should be mandatory for anyone towing.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=siVH_cr5ZnE

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2018, 04:02:48 pm »
A brake controller should be mandatory, especially when a good one is only about $300. I have used Uhaul car haulers a few times and lemme tell ya, those surge brakes are absolutely terrible in slippery conditions.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: November 13, 2018, 04:04:50 pm »
Above what weight should you have one?
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: November 13, 2018, 04:07:48 pm »

Honestly, I would be a little weary of going unbraked over 2000lbs, especially at highway speeds and especially in inclement weather. Towing on gravel roads its great being able to get your trailer brakes to stop without your trailer going full tokyo drift.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #30 on: November 13, 2018, 04:13:31 pm »

Pretty sure my owners manual said over 3500lbs, but I could be wrong.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #31 on: November 13, 2018, 04:17:47 pm »

It depends on the province/state.  Some states list it as a percentage of tow vehicle weight.  Other states list it as a specific weight.  In Manitoba, it's 2000lbs. 
In BC, brakes are req'd if a loaded trailer weighs more than 50% of the weight of the tow vehicle, or if more than 3080lbs, whichever is less. 

Information for all provinces/territories can be found here: https://www.rvda.ca/ProvBrakeReqts.asp
« Last Edit: November 13, 2018, 04:23:51 pm by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 13, 2018, 04:24:29 pm »
Looks like the magic number is 3000 lbs in Ontario. 

What's interesting is the variation across the provinces.

Alberta
If gross laden weight of trailer is 909 kg / 2,004 Ibs or over, or if gross trailer weight is over half that of the unit, independent braking system is required.
Not required for trailers with a gross laden weight of not more than 910 kg (2006 Ibs) or trailers with a gross laden weight of less than half of the weight of the towing unit.
Breakaway brakes are required on trailers over 907 kg (2,000 Ibs).

Sask
Any trailer towed behind a motor vehicle with a Gross Vehicle Weight Rating (GVWR) of 1,360 kg (2,999 Ibs) and greater, requires brakes on all axles with a break-away system that will apply the brakes of the trailer in the event it breaks away from the towed vehicle.

Man
Every semi-trailer that forms part of, or is attached to, a semi-trailer truck, and every trailer that is attached to a motor vehicle and that has a gross weight in excess of 910 kg (2,006 Ibs), when upon a highway shall be equipped with brakes adequate, when operated in combination with the brakes of the motor vehicle or semi-trailer to which it is attached, to stop and hold the semi-trailer truck, or the semi-trailer truck and trailer, or the motor vehicle and trailer, as the case may be, within the distances prescribed by the law (subsection 8). Breakaway brakes are required on trailers 907 kg (2,000 Ibs) and over.

On
Trailer or semi-trailer - Every trailer or semi-trailer having a gross weight of 1,360 kilograms (3,000 Ibs) or more shall be equipped with brakes adequate to stop and to hold the vehicle.

Qc
Independent braking system is required in each weight bearing wheel where gross weight exceeds 1,300 kg (2,867 Ibs). Breakaway brakes are required on all trailers 1,360 kg (3,000 Ibs) and over.

NB
Independent braking system required where gross weight exceeds 1.5 tons or 1,500 kg (3,308 Ibs).

NS
Independent braking system required where gross weight of load and vehicle exceeds 1,800 kg (3,969 Ibs). Breakaway brakes are required on all trailers with a registered weight of over 1,350 kg (2,977 Ibs).

NFLD
Independent braking system needed where gross weight exceeds 4,500 kg (9,923 lbs) or two or more axles are used on the trailer.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #33 on: November 14, 2018, 12:28:30 pm »
Here is how you roll! A 3,500 lbs 2004 Pontiac GTO plus a 500 lbs tow dolly pulled with a 2000 Saab 9-5 2.3t with JZW ecu tune and 5-speed manual.