Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Corolla  (Read 6925 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Corolla
« on: November 09, 2018, 09:31:00 am »
Brilliantly simple.
Read more...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Toyota Corolla
« Reply #1 on: November 09, 2018, 09:44:01 am »
Under THE BAD on the score sheet it says mediocre quality but the only reference in the article is this.

However, the rest of the cabin is fairly-mediocre-quality plastics and the leather seating is synthetic and a bit rubbery, but nicely trimmed in contrasting stitching and piping.

I guess when a car runs and runs and runs without issues, this really isn't a bad thing for a car at this price point.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2018, 12:02:01 pm »
Interesting that you can still get a manual trans with the SE trim. I would have thought it would be the base model CE only.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2018, 12:06:19 pm »
If a person, any person, wants basic transportation to get to and from work, and only wants to buy 3 cars in their lifetime (one when they're 20, one when they're 40, and one when they're 60), then the Corolla is THE only car to get. 

Forget the sportier Mazda 3's, the feature laden Hyundai Elantras, or even the roomier Civic's.  The Corolla is King of long-term ownership. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2018, 12:14:36 pm »
If a person, any person, wants basic transportation to get to and from work, and only wants to buy 3 cars in their lifetime (one when they're 20, one when they're 40, and one when they're 60), then the Corolla is THE only car to get. 

Forget the sportier Mazda 3's, the feature laden Hyundai Elantras, or even the roomier Civic's.  The Corolla is King of long-term ownership.

Come on man, besides being a very reliable transportation device, this thing is about as inspiring as the professor from Ferris Buellers Day off

I mean by all means, own a Corolla for day to day commuting but man needs something interesting to make him want to go to work.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2018, 12:21:52 pm »

Come on man, besides being a very reliable transportation device, this thing is about as inspiring as the professor from Ferris Buellers Day off

I mean by all means, own a Corolla for day to day commuting but man needs something interesting to make him want to go to work.

Some people just don't care.  They literally couldn't give two rats ass about cars or driving.  They see a car as a necessity if they live out in the 'burbs and need to get to work.  I had a buddy once who was like that.  He ended up with a used 1st gen Kia Rio by choice, just because it was the most basic transportation. 

If the engine hadn't self destructed 4 years later, he would probably still be driving it. 

My buddy is the kind of person that the Corolla is built for.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 12:25:36 pm »
Some people just don't care. 

I have an uncle that probably owns the only Matrix with hand crank windows.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 12:26:54 pm »

Some people just don't care.  They literally couldn't give two rats ass about cars or driving.  They see a car as a necessity if they live out in the 'burbs and need to get to work.  I had a buddy once who was like that.  He ended up with a used 1st gen Kia Rio by choice, just because it was the most basic transportation. 

If the engine hadn't self destructed 4 years later, he would probably still be driving it. 

My buddy is the kind of person that the Corolla is built for.

Oh, I know they are out there. My dads buddy was like that, hated driving, had no idea about cars....ended up with the most basic, brand new Corolla I had ever seen. No A/C, tape deck, roll up windows....didn't even know one could still get a car like that when he bought his. The thing was a year old, dealer couldn't get rid of till this guy walked in and wanted something with 4 wheels and a steering wheel.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2018, 12:30:43 pm »
reliable as the day is long and fantastic for basic transportation - would not hesitate to drive one if I did not care about cars or driving

but I do...so....
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #9 on: November 09, 2018, 12:32:59 pm »

That's an interesting concept.  I wonder what 3 cars people on here would choose as their only 3 cars for their lifetime and each would have to run for 20 years and 400,000 kms a piece.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: November 09, 2018, 12:35:30 pm »
can't argue the long term ownership discussion here...it's a decent car in its own right, but as has been said, if you are like the mass public and just want a reliable car with minimal fuss in ownership, can't go wrong here.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2018, 12:58:30 pm »
My dad bought a 2013 Corolla LE when he was 79 years-old.  'Nuf said.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2018, 01:13:02 pm »

That's an interesting concept.  I wonder what 3 cars people on here would choose as their only 3 cars for their lifetime and each would have to run for 20 years and 400,000 kms a piece.

A GM 1/2 ton or a Toyota Tundra.....no problems and with a crew cab it will be a much better option for a lifetime than any car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2018, 03:11:53 pm »

A GM 1/2 ton or a Toyota Tundra.....no problems and with a crew cab it will be a much better option for a lifetime than any car.
if you actually need a truck as a daily driver, sure...be sure to dip into your RRSP budget to fill it with gas...for the rest of us, a Corolla would fit the bill perfectly fine...you can always rent a truck for the 2 times a year many actually need it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 09, 2018, 03:15:17 pm »

if you actually need a truck as a daily driver, sure...be sure to dip into your RRSP budget to fill it with gas...for the rest of us, a Corolla would fit the bill perfectly fine...you can always rent a truck for the 2 times a year many actually need it.

Yeah...but then you are stuck driving a Corolla...forever...and ever....nope. I don't see me owning some sad sack little car that will get 6l/100kms in the near future, but a truck, hell, I've needed it probably 4-5 times since last week.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #15 on: November 09, 2018, 03:16:01 pm »
Corolla at 20, Camry at 40, Avalon at 60 :)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2018, 03:28:19 pm »

Things are looking....up??  :-\ :-\ :-\

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: November 09, 2018, 03:36:57 pm »

Yeah...but then you are stuck driving a Corolla...forever...and ever....nope. I don't see me owning some sad sack little car that will get 6l/100kms in the near future, but a truck, hell, I've needed it probably 4-5 times since last week.
sure, perhaps you need one...but the vast majority of people buying trucks don't need a truck....trucks have replaced the family sedan in a lot of homes...i get it, i want a RAM, but i'm not going to kid myself into actually "needing" a truck, because i don't...want is another thing.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 09, 2018, 03:41:17 pm »
My dad's wife bought one.

They now have a be Corolla and a new Camry in the garage. Never thought I'd see 2 Toyota's in my dad's garage.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: November 09, 2018, 03:42:40 pm »

That makes sense.  Those are three cars that will last 20 years each no problem, and are affordable at those different times in one's life.

sure, perhaps you need one...but the vast majority of people buying trucks don't need a truck....trucks have replaced the family sedan in a lot of homes...i get it, i want a RAM, but i'm not going to kid myself into actually "needing" a truck, because i don't...want is another thing.

Yup.  Most people 'want' one, but don't 'need' one.  I'll be truck shopping over the next year, but that's because I want to buy a 24-26' travel trailer, for which one really does need a half-ton truck. 

Even the van is too much vehicle for us, size-wise, most of the time. There's only four of us, but 6-7 times a year we load up the van and hitch up the pop-up camper and take off for a weekend or two weeks. 

If it wasn't for our trailer pulling, camping lifestyle, a Corolla or Camry would be the perfect vehicle (much like our Altima was perfect until we started pulling a trailer regularly).