Author Topic: Chrysler Pacifica vs Kia Sedona - would like to hear from owner experiences!  (Read 4717 times)

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +1/-13
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Subaru Outback
Hi there,

First time poster.  We are in the market for a minivan and find the Pacifica an attractive option.  We are also considering the Kia Sedona.  We went from looking at 3 to 4 year old vans in general, including the Odyssey (which I found pricey for used and bulky and awkward looking). 

I would like to specifically hear from Pacifica owners and their experiences thus far and Sedona owners too.. especially anything bought in the past year. The Pacifica was new in 2017 so I'm sure the first year had some bugs...  Have the cars been reliable thus far?  How has your overall experience been? Would you recommend them?

Thanks

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
I can't comment on much about the Pacifica, but it does share an engine with my van.  Everything on my van, including the 3.6 Pentastar V6 has been extremely reliable in the 7 years that my van has been on this planet. 

Have you looked at the Toyota Sienna?  If you're concerned about reliability, the Sienna is just about as bulletproof of a van as you can buy.   The Sienna seems to be priced similarly to the Pacifica, too.  The Pacifica will likely have more gadgets, toys, and probably a nicer interior than the Sienna, but the Sienna has a proven track record as one of the most reliable vehicles on the market.

The Sienna should also have better resale down the road should you decide to swap out your van at some point.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
I'm pretty sure no members on here are owners of the Pacifica or Sedona.  Neither of which are big sellers.  Majority of people who have vans on here have the Grand Caravan, Odyssey, or Sienna.

If it makes any difference I read an article on Driving.ca about the most reliable vehicles on the market right now and they listed the Kia Sadona as one of the best.  Not sure what they are basing it off of but its food for thought.

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Thank you guys...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
The Pacifica is sexy and has become a favourite minivan in the Vankulture club.

Dealer in the US selling a brand new Vankulture Package Pacifica with wheels and a mild drop.

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Vanwhature?  WTF???

Offline duck

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +7/-157
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2012 Scion xB
I do not own either as another poster correctly noted. If i were in your shoes I would buy a new or used Toyota Sienna.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Vanwhature?  WTF???

For the import drivers in the 90s and 2000s who grew up but never outgrew that mod itch. If it’s not your thing then that’s fine, I love it.

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
I should add, if I didn't already, that we like to keep our cars a long time.. 10 years+ is what we are aiming for... hopefully even more.. I guess I am having some doubts about the Chrysler product lasting that long with a relatively trouble-free existence...
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 07:15:33 am by Tenpointer »

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
I should add, if I didn't already, that we like to keep our cars a long time.. 10 years+ is what we are aiming for... hopefully even more.. I guess I am having some doubts about the Chrysler product lasting that long with a relatively trouble-free existence...

So, my van has gone 7 years without any major issues.  Then again, our van is pretty basic, without such niceties as power sliding doors or power tailgates, or even power seats, so there isn't as much opportunity for things to break.  The Pacifica seems to be a more complicated van though, with more stuff to break.

It sounds like the Toyota Sienna is the van for you, based on the 10+ years. 

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
This looks like a pretty good deal.. agree?

New 2018 Sienna LE AWD
Winter tires included
Listed at $38,876

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile

So, my van has gone 7 years without any major issues.  Then again, our van is pretty basic, without such niceties as power sliding doors or power tailgates, or even power seats, so there isn't as much opportunity for things to break.  The Pacifica seems to be a more complicated van though, with more stuff to break.

Thanks... so I guess if your'e shopping for a basic family hauler, the Caravan dos the trick, especially since the price point is pretty good on those things... but, if you go into higher models like Pacifica, you can get a better car for roughly similar $$

What do you think of the add I posted above?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Thanks... so I guess if your'e shopping for a basic family hauler, the Caravan dos the trick, especially since the price point is pretty good on those things... but, if you go into higher models like Pacifica, you can get a better car for roughly similar $$

Exactly.  The Grand Caravan is the best van on a budget, but if you're spending more money, I think you can do better than Pacifica.  From a reliability viewpoint, anyways. The Pacifica is a very nice van inside and out. Would I expect it to go ten years without a single issue?  Probably not...

I guess that AWD Sienna looks like a good deal.  Bonus for the AWD, it's the only minivan that offers it.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:02:19 am by Great_Big_Abyss »

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
Thanks for the input.. funny I wasn't even thinking about the SIenna until this morning!  Even though i've owned Toyotas!

We will still look at al of them!

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
Good Plan.  Definitely drive all of them.  You may hate the way the Sienna drives, or is equipped, or whatever.  Or maybe you'll love it.  Either way, good to give all of them a fair shot.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
Pacifica is a pretty cool van... but it has a lot of tech.. and that tech will be the first thing to go.

what level are you looking at? new or used? just to give you an idea, mid to upper 30's gets nice used ones... either 2018 rentals that are nicely equipped (touring L with roof and such) or a 2017 executive with similar options for a touch less.

the kias are a nice van. super comfy second row. come a loooong way in reliability. I wouldn't shy away from them too much, but it doesn't change that many (including myself) still have a slight bit of hesitation due to previous reliability years back, plus the more recent engine issues the brand has had...
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Tenpointer

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
We really liked the Kia Sedona! Drive really nice (for a van) and MUCH nicer interior than a Sienna... Sienna has by far, the worst interior I've seen on any vehicle in a long time...the seat material is straight out of the early 90s

Kias are great value... we can get  a brand new LX+ for low 30s... it's pretty loaded for that price... no leather but we can do without..

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
We really liked the Kia Sedona! Drive really nice (for a van) and MUCH nicer interior than a Sienna... Sienna has by far, the worst interior I've seen on any vehicle in a long time...the seat material is straight out of the early 90s

Kias are great value... we can get  a brand new LX+ for low 30s... it's pretty loaded for that price... no leather but we can do without..

I test drove new and used Siennas and Odysseys last winter, and I couldn't get over the Sienna's interior.  It was likely the logical choice since I wanted AWD, but the LE just felt so, so cheap.  Obviously ended up with a different AWD family hauler.

I think the Sienna Limited was pretty nice, but not in my price range.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile

Hey, reliability is only one factor.  If you feel like you can't live with the Sienna everyday because of its interior, then it's obviously not the right van for you. 

What's more, by saying that the Sienna is the most reliable, we are NOT saying that the other choices are not reliable.  Like I mentioned before, my Grand Caravan is 7 years old, and it hasn't had a single issue (knock on wood).  And that's from a brand with one of the worst reliability reputations out there.

With how well built vehicles are these days, I bet a Kia Sedona would go 10 years and 150 000kms before needing any major work. 

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
Get Clazzio seat covers then, they make them for Sienna and Odyssey, maybe others.