Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport AWD  (Read 34043 times)

Offline dougjp

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +165/-170
  • Cars: 2019 VW Jetta GLI, 2014 Elantra GT
    • View Profile
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Genesis G70 3.3T Sport AWD
« Reply #160 on: November 03, 2018, 12:44:01 pm »
The highly powerful 3.3t probably masks the non-sportiness I found in the $47K 2.0t Elite. Unlike the reviewer, I found it had to be pushed to go hard around corners, it was not eager. It would do it but it did not invite driving hard. The wind noise is indeed well-controlled, which made the ridiculous tire noise stand out in relief. That noise was my biggest annoyance - I could drive around the other shortcomings I found. The transmission was weird after a power run when you lifted the accelerator - a whoomp followed by a slight slowdown before the thing upshifted to coast. Tried it 4 times under different circumstances, 4 times it got it wrong. Decent tires might help with the noise/roar, but who wants to lease, buy new tires and then find out, nope, that ain't the problem, body insulation is,

The back seat is well-trimmed indeed. Now try getting out of it - it's minute and I got my foot stuck between B-pillar and driver's seat and gave it a nasty wrench. OK I'm old and not that agile, but still.

There seems to be a need for something well made to take on the Germans. That's why I went for a test drive. That's why the brochure still sits here on my table - I had hoped for some liveliness and it didn't deliver at first blush.

And here all I read is 7 pages of drivel on manual transmissions. Too bad. Has anyone else driven the 2.0t? I'd like to hear your impressions in case I decide I need to try again, putting away my negative impressions for a fresh start. There's no competition at the price and I wish the car had made a better impression on me, so I'm willing to give it another try.

I have to agree with you, its annoying for anyone serious about a car to have to sift through pages of irrelevancy. Seldom will you ever see comments in this forum, when there are divergent views on any topic, like " hmm, yes you have a good point there ". Its the nature of the place, unfortunately, and nobody ever "wins". Of course this is not new news to anyone.  :(

Great post, on topic. I haven't driven any yet, but research points to expecting some of your observations. The version you drove was an AWD automatic with all season tires. AWD adds weight, often 150-200 lbs., but in this case 100 lbs. more than the RWD manual transmission version (which also comes with completely different size and better traction performance tires). AWD also adds parasitic drag, and of course more traction in some situations too, and very often adds to understeer. The Elite 2.0T is also relatively heavy compared to other 2.0T cars, especially FWD or RWD ones, at 3,673 lbs. Combine all of this and you wish for more power to offset! The old adage "there is no free lunch" comes to mind.  ::)

I look forward to others' observations about road noise and automatic transmission behavior.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #161 on: November 03, 2018, 01:29:20 pm »
as much as jaeger really got on an "offensive-defense" position, I'm with him... and your tone GBA has been fine, but Chaos has definitely come across as a hater on the brand/model with a shame on them mentality... so I get where he is coming from with his approach. 

I have stated many times that the G70 looks to be a fantastic offering in the arena where the Germans have had it mostly to themselves for so long. I do not hate the brand whatsoever, where did you get that? I am just as hard on BMW, Audi, and even my beloved Alfa for not offering a manual in their dedicated sport sedans. Alfa doesn't even offer a manual in the QV FFS, which is a real "shame" and frankly pathetic from a brand that is supposedly to be all about the "drive." I also have said it is great they offer a manual at all, but think it would be much better suited in the 3.3T as a real knockout sport sedan vs the 335i or the S4 etc. That is the shame, as I see it as a missed opportunity to get a lot of conquest sales and really immediately separate them from the sea of sameness that the midsize sport sedan market has become: pick your badge, and everything else is kinda the same. So yes, without the manual, it is yet another competent entry in a sea of competent cars that are all roughly the same: ie "also ran."

As should be evident by now,  ::) I do not shy away from spouting off my opinions, especially when it comes to manual transmissions. I have said so in many other threads, it is not just a Genesis thing.

Anyways, I think we have exhausted the subject. Lets get back to discussing how Genesis did so well with their first offering in the segment, especially in terms of aesthetics: it really is a looker.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 01:31:26 pm by ChaosphereIX »
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #162 on: November 03, 2018, 02:56:28 pm »

FWIW I've always been consistent on wishing there were manuals on certain Audi's, etc. I was also annoyed back when the ATS came out that you could only get the manual on the ATS-V or the 2.0 but not on the 3.6.

Although to be fair Audi and BMW on just dropped the manual on some of their offerings. (A4 and 3 series)

Anyway, time has moved on and no one is doing it so yes it's certainly not Genesis's fault in that regard.

Yep - when I said they don't offer a manual, I meant not on cars that compete against the G70.  I don't recall the 3 series and A4 being dismissed as a pointless "also ran" for lack of a stickshift.   And yes, you are consistent. But show me a thread on an A4 or 3 Series where Chaosphere and GBA and the like spout off for 8 pages about how facking ludicrous it is for them not to offer a stick.  You won't find one.

I'd like you to find one where I do.  Hint: You won't find one.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12397
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #163 on: November 03, 2018, 04:22:22 pm »
as much as jaeger really got on an "offensive-defense" position, I'm with him... and your tone GBA has been fine, but Chaos has definitely come across as a hater on the brand/model with a shame on them mentality... so I get where he is coming from with his approach. 

Cheers.  :cheers:

FWIW I've always been consistent on wishing there were manuals on certain Audi's, etc. I was also annoyed back when the ATS came out that you could only get the manual on the ATS-V or the 2.0 but not on the 3.6.

Although to be fair Audi and BMW on just dropped the manual on some of their offerings. (A4 and 3 series)

Anyway, time has moved on and no one is doing it so yes it's certainly not Genesis's fault in that regard.

Yep - when I said they don't offer a manual, I meant not on cars that compete against the G70.  I don't recall the 3 series and A4 being dismissed as a pointless "also ran" for lack of a stickshift.   And yes, you are consistent. But show me a thread on an A4 or 3 Series where Chaosphere and GBA and the like spout off for 8 pages about how facking ludicrous it is for them not to offer a stick.  You won't find one.

Didn't you claim that you and Chaos had "stopped" lo these many pages ago?  :rofl2:  What does not stopping look like?  :rofl:
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 04:25:19 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #164 on: November 03, 2018, 04:51:30 pm »
G70 review from The Straight Pipes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UmaG_SQpePQ&t=16s

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 03, 2018, 06:24:46 pm »

Didn't you claim that you and Chaos had "stopped" lo these many pages ago?  :rofl2:  What does not stopping look like?  :rofl:
I (and I am sure GBA too) am more than happy to stop talking about it, but it seems you need the last word...

I like the guys from Straight Pipes. Good review.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 03, 2018, 08:17:45 pm »
I think the only guy who likes getting the last word in more than me is Jaeger! LOL [emoji38]

Goes with his chosen career I guess. :)
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 03, 2018, 08:33:32 pm »

I (and I am sure GBA too) am more than happy to stop talking about it, but it seems you need the last word...

What does anything I say have to do with whether you choose to keep posting?  Are you somehow obliged to respond to my every post?  You keep saying you have stopped, but you don't, even though nobody is forcing you on.  You guys really do crack me up.  :rofl2:  I really need to know what not stopping looks like for you guys.  ;D

Yes, the Straight Pipes duo turns out some very watchable reviews.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2018, 08:35:37 pm by Jaeger »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #168 on: November 03, 2018, 08:37:47 pm »
There seems to be a need for something well made to take on the Germans. That's why I went for a test drive. That's why the brochure still sits here on my table - I had hoped for some liveliness and it didn't deliver at first blush.
why not try the 3.3T model??...there's only two trims, and i think the lower one is $52k...i know $5k isn't chump change, but hey, if you're already at $47k, and extra $5k should be doable if you like it much better...think about it this way, you're already 90% of the way there.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 03, 2018, 08:56:45 pm »

What does anything I say have to do with whether you choose to keep posting?  Are you somehow obliged to respond to my every post?  You keep saying you have stopped, but you don't, even though nobody is forcing you on.  You guys really do crack me up.  :rofl2:  I really need to know what not stopping looks like for you guys.  ;D

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: November 03, 2018, 08:59:30 pm »
I may be very late to this, but I just noticed Patrick was in the Straight Pipes G70 review. Nice.

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #171 on: November 04, 2018, 12:00:33 pm »
Hey now, Patrick has done more for sticks than the rest of us combined.

Speak for yourself.  ;D
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: November 04, 2018, 12:05:37 pm »

Speak for yourself.  ;D
I KNEW you were going to say that...  :P

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #173 on: November 04, 2018, 12:14:24 pm »

Speak for yourself.  ;D
I KNEW you were going to say that...  :P

I have a (terrible) reputation to uphold.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #174 on: November 05, 2018, 09:46:14 am »
:fiver:
I've had 19 new cars with manual gearboxes... have I done my part?  :rofl2:

I don't think so... have you bought any of those 19?  :P
:fiver:

Hey, I bought one of them!  :rofl2:

Joking aside, I do technically generate new vehicle demand sales my demo cars. Each one ultimately finds its way into the market to be resold, so by ordering it from the factory I'm generating an incremental unit of production.

I'll keep my 3.3T Sport AWD through the winter but will likely switch to the 2.0T Sport 6MT next summer.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #175 on: November 05, 2018, 09:51:44 am »
^fair enough... will give you a point for that... plus I saw you on a repeat of Motoring TV yesterday so you get an extra thumbs up for being on TV  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: November 05, 2018, 09:56:50 am »
^fair enough... will give you a point for that... plus I saw you on a repeat of Motoring TV yesterday so you get an extra thumbs up for being on TV  :rofl:

:rofl2: I feature way too prominently in that piece. For those who want to judge (no one will judge me more harshly than myself!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=U-xXeazkxtQ&ab_channel=MotoringTV

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: November 05, 2018, 10:00:40 am »
And the SavageGeese shout out: https://youtu.be/I5dgVx9F0WI?t=1226
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #178 on: November 05, 2018, 12:29:13 pm »

:rofl2: I feature way too prominently in that piece. For those who want to judge (no one will judge me more harshly than myself!): https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_continue=2&v=U-xXeazkxtQ&ab_channel=MotoringTV
the only thing i don't like about that motoringtv segment is the pricing sheet at the end of it...it mentions the 3.3T engine and AWD features, but then states the price as "Starting at $42,000"...the 3.3T AWD does not start at $42,000, that's for the 2.0T, RWD, Manual transmission model...i know what they are getting at, but i still don't like the way they have presented it and i can see it possibly causing confusion for consumers who may look into a Genesis vehicle...there should be mention of the 2.0T engine in there, and perhaps have both prices shown, like "Starting at $42,000 - 2.0T" and "Starting at $52,000 - 3.3T/AWD".

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: November 05, 2018, 02:04:43 pm »

the only thing i don't like about that motoringtv segment is the pricing sheet at the end of it...it mentions the 3.3T engine and AWD features, but then states the price as "Starting at $42,000"...the 3.3T AWD does not start at $42,000, that's for the 2.0T, RWD, Manual transmission model...i know what they are getting at, but i still don't like the way they have presented it and i can see it possibly causing confusion for consumers who may look into a Genesis vehicle...there should be mention of the 2.0T engine in there, and perhaps have both prices shown, like "Starting at $42,000 - 2.0T" and "Starting at $52,000 - 3.3T/AWD".

No, the manual isn't the $42k model - it's more at $45,500. The base model is AWD, automatic, with quite an extensive list of standard equipment.