Author Topic: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza  (Read 130506 times)

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
Re: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza
« Reply #480 on: September 27, 2020, 08:31:40 pm »
There we go, and likely a better job too

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: October 22, 2021, 04:53:06 pm »
New tires for IQs car. Loved them on her TT, wanted these for the A5.

Nobody in Canada had stock. Tirerack only..ouch.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #482 on: October 22, 2021, 05:40:54 pm »
Performance winters? What brand?
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: October 22, 2021, 06:23:15 pm »
All Weather, mountain/snowflake rated.

Vredestein Quatrac Pro.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: October 22, 2021, 07:25:20 pm »
Makes sense on an AWD car.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #485 on: October 23, 2021, 11:39:18 am »

Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
those tires are very good, but don't really seem to be sold in Canada...in fact, i'm not sure anyone sells this brand in Canada (had a hard time finding a dealer before)...it's too bad, because those tires do seem to be REALLY good...i saw on Tirerack.com that they do have my Venza size available for $1000 for a set of 4, but i'd prefer to buy them locally in case there are any issues...they reviewed REALLY well on tirerack's testing.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 11:43:45 am by dirtyjeffer »
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: October 23, 2021, 02:22:01 pm »

Vredestein Quatrac Pro.
those tires are very good, but don't really seem to be sold in Canada...in fact, i'm not sure anyone sells this brand in Canada (had a hard time finding a dealer before)...it's too bad, because those tires do seem to be REALLY good...i saw on Tirerack.com that they do have my Venza size available for $1000 for a set of 4, but i'd prefer to buy them locally in case there are any issues...they reviewed REALLY well on tirerack's testing.
Bought in years past from Quattro Tires. They carry them...but currently have no stock.

Their Quatrac5 (which they renamed "Quatrac" for 2021) is their less sporty version for cars, SUVs etc

These would fit your vehicle I'd imagine.

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autres-pieces-et-accessoires/laval-rive-nord/4-pneus-hiver-vredestein-235-45r19-comme-neufs/1591040486
« Last Edit: October 23, 2021, 02:32:12 pm by rrocket »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: October 31, 2021, 04:08:48 am »
New tires and TPMS installed.

And now the TPMS lights won't go off. Apparently there's some "TPMS" relearn procedure than needs to be done. Likely at the dealer.

Sigh.

Another great "engineering" turd by Audi.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #488 on: October 31, 2021, 08:15:57 am »

And now the TPMS lights won't go off. Apparently there's some "TPMS" relearn procedure than needs to be done. Likely at the dealer.

Sigh.

Coincidentally, I just put my winter tires c/w TPMS on yesterday. It took about 30 minutes of driving before the TPMS sensors re-paired with the ECU. I’ve done this dance every tire changeover for the last 5 years.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: October 31, 2021, 09:09:56 am »

Sigh.

Coincidentally, I just put my winter tires c/w TPMS on yesterday. It took about 30 minutes of driving before the TPMS sensors re-paired with the ECU. I’ve done this dance every tire changeover for the last 5 years.

Not exclusively an Audi thing. According to that Toyota youtube mechanic, up until 2018 their cars needed to have a second set of TPMS codes written in. After 2018 reportedly, the receivers began to learn if another set of wheels is present. I will report what happens on mine, maybe in a week or two.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #490 on: October 31, 2021, 12:16:38 pm »
Yes, on our 2017 Rx I need to change the TPMS numbers with Carista

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: October 31, 2021, 12:59:15 pm »

Sigh.

I've driven in excess of 30 minutes. It's been a few hours cumulative, so it's more than that.

Someone in an Audi forum wrote this:

"Adapting the tire pressure sensors is a basic requirement for the tire pressure monitoring system to function properly.

Each time a tire or tire pressure monitoring system is replaced, press the multimedia system control head button in the center console when in the tire pressure monitoring menu when the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is standing.

The vehicle must stand for 20 minutes and then be driven on a 10 minute adaptation drive at speeds higher than 25 km/h.

If the multimedia system control head button is not pressed, the system adapts the new sensors but still illuminates the warning lamp to request actively the confirmation the actual tire pressures.

The system detects a malfunction if the control module is not ready for adapting because the 20 minute waiting period was not completed. The system only adapts the tire pressure monitoring sensors automatically after a 20 minute waiting period. If the control module is ready, “YES/NO“ can be read in measured values block 126."

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: October 31, 2021, 01:02:01 pm »

Sigh.

Not exclusively an Audi thing. According to that Toyota youtube mechanic, up until 2018 their cars needed to have a second set of TPMS codes written in. After 2018 reportedly, the receivers began to learn if another set of wheels is present. I will report what happens on mine, maybe in a week or two.
That's definitely not true. Wasn't the case on my 2006 or 2009 IS-F. There was actually a second set of tire setting in the vehicle setting memory. Easy peasy.

I do concede this could have changed post 2009 though.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #493 on: October 31, 2021, 10:04:08 pm »

Sigh.

I've driven in excess of 30 minutes. It's been a few hours cumulative, so it's more than that.

Someone in an Audi forum wrote this:

"Adapting the tire pressure sensors is a basic requirement for the tire pressure monitoring system to function properly.

Each time a tire or tire pressure monitoring system is replaced, press the multimedia system control head button in the center console when in the tire pressure monitoring menu when the ignition is turned on and the vehicle is standing.

The vehicle must stand for 20 minutes and then be driven on a 10 minute adaptation drive at speeds higher than 25 km/h.

If the multimedia system control head button is not pressed, the system adapts the new sensors but still illuminates the warning lamp to request actively the confirmation the actual tire pressures.

The system detects a malfunction if the control module is not ready for adapting because the 20 minute waiting period was not completed. The system only adapts the tire pressure monitoring sensors automatically after a 20 minute waiting period. If the control module is ready, “YES/NO“ can be read in measured values block 126."

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

TPMS is one of those things I wish would just f-off.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: October 31, 2021, 10:32:51 pm »

Don't tell me Audi engineers haven't watched "Speed"  :rofl2:

« Last Edit: October 31, 2021, 10:37:45 pm by EV Dan »

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: October 31, 2021, 10:41:09 pm »

Sigh.

That's definitely not true. Wasn't the case on my 2006 or 2009 IS-F. There was actually a second set of tire setting in the vehicle setting memory. Easy peasy.

What the guy (AMD) said is after 2018 you don't need any dealer or any programmer to see a new set of sensors is being used. The car's receiver will read the signal automatically.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #496 on: November 01, 2021, 09:21:31 am »
I learned this weekend, that my generation of Mazda3 has 'indirect' TPMS, similar to VW, where the wheel speed sensors detect low tire pressure. 

While I miss the ability to check individual tire pressures from the screen, I have to realize that my car spends 5 months of the year wearing winter tires, and I've never bothered to put sensors in the winters, so I've always just put up with the TPMS light being on.  The indirect system is probably a better fit for me and how I do things.

Offline warp

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +24/-40
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2025 Toyota Camry, 2024 Toyota Grand Highlander, 2024 VW GLI
« Reply #497 on: November 01, 2021, 11:32:30 am »

Sigh.

What the guy (AMD) said is after 2018 you don't need any dealer or any programmer to see a new set of sensors is being used. The car's receiver will read the signal automatically.
;D Much maligned Chrysler vehicles such as my 2013 Chrysler 300 (sold a few months ago) had this system where the car receiver will read the signal automatically. In the 14 tire swaps I did with the car over 7 years, the receiver picked up the signal sometimes before I drove off the tire shop lot and always within ~2 minutes of driving on city streets.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: November 01, 2021, 03:16:17 pm »
I learned this weekend, that my generation of Mazda3 has 'indirect' TPMS, similar to VW, where the wheel speed sensors detect low tire pressure. 

While I miss the ability to check individual tire pressures from the screen, I have to realize that my car spends 5 months of the year wearing winter tires, and I've never bothered to put sensors in the winters, so I've always just put up with the TPMS light being on.  The indirect system is probably a better fit for me and how I do things.

When did that generation get TPMS ? or was it an option ?. My sister's 2015 GS sedan doesn't have it ? 
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #499 on: November 01, 2021, 03:33:27 pm »

When did that generation get TPMS ? or was it an option ?. My sister's 2015 GS sedan doesn't have it ?

I thought it was a requirement for all vehicles to have it...