Author Topic: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza  (Read 130527 times)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza
« Reply #380 on: May 25, 2020, 06:30:00 pm »
Twelve years for the a/c seems pretty good for any car, no?

A/c on my Pathfinder crapped out around year 8, IIRC. The Honda was still blowing cold air when I sold it at 11. GTI still going strong at 10, but I don't expect it to last forever...

Well if that's all it is.......most cars is just a new compressor.

I'm sure something else on the TT will break my wallet with regards to the AC....just a feeling...but I'm probably not wrong.

One in my Lexus is still fine though.  As is the one in the 2002 IS300 with 400K on it...
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 06:31:38 pm by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #381 on: May 25, 2020, 06:36:59 pm »
Well, good to hear from others that 16+ years is a possibility.

I didn't even bother fixing it on the Pathfinder: got a quote for something well over $1k, IIRC, and just decided to live with open windows instead. I figured I'd probably do the same with the GTI when the time comes.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought of a/c as something that's nice to have on a new car, but once it's done, it's done. I might pay for $400 for a compressor, but like you say, I'd be scared that's just the start of it...

Once it dies, I'd probably just rip everything out and go for the weight reduction, because cheap and racecar!   ;D

Offline blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Honda, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #382 on: May 25, 2020, 06:37:16 pm »

Hopefully it just needs a top up.  If it's low it won't even turn on.
Mr Pickypants

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #383 on: May 25, 2020, 06:38:22 pm »

I didn't even bother fixing it on the Pathfinder: got a quote for something well over $1k, IIRC, and just decided to live with open windows instead. I figured I'd probably do the same with the GTI when the time comes.

Maybe it's just me, but I've always thought of a/c as something that's nice to have on a new car, but once it's done, it's done. I might pay for $400 for a compressor, but like you say, I'd be scared that's just the start of it...

Once it dies, I'd probably just rip everything out and go for the weight reduction, because cheap and racecar!   ;D
AC is a must in southern and Eastern parts of Ontario. Humid sticky summers.

Sent from my SM-G960W using Tapatalk

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #384 on: May 25, 2020, 06:43:05 pm »

That's what I'll be trying first....

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #385 on: May 25, 2020, 06:44:16 pm »
AC is a must in southern and Eastern parts of Ontario. Humid sticky summers.

Yeah, I've lived through a few southern Ontario summers.  :P  Agreed that not having a/c would be quite unpleasant. Still unpleasant in dry Alberta, but doable.

Shouldn't it only need a top up if there's a leak? And if there's a leak, shouldn't you fix it? :stick:

But I'd be tempted to try that sealant-in-a-can stuff from the other thread.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #386 on: May 25, 2020, 06:44:39 pm »

Far too hot here in the banana belt...with the very high humidity added in.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #387 on: May 25, 2020, 07:02:54 pm »
Shouldn't it only need a top up if there's a leak? And if there's a leak, shouldn't you fix it? :stick:
^^ this.

it's a sealed system...i just had this argument with Kia a few months ago...they said it needed a "top up" the first time...i told them that made no sense, since the only reason it's low is because it has leaked out somewhere...sure enough, i had to return where they "found" it leaked from a valve or something like that...they fixed it and recharged it...because of COVID, i haven't really driven my car much, so i'm not sure if it is working now...i should give it a try since it's 30C out today (and the next few days) and a heat advisory is on (would be a good test for it).
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #388 on: May 25, 2020, 07:04:11 pm »
^^ this.

it's a sealed system...i just had this argument with Kia a few months ago...they said it needed a "top up" the first time...i told them that made no sense, since the only reason it's low is because it has leaked out somewhere...sure enough, i had to return where they "found" it leaked from a valve or something like that...they fixed it and recharged it...because of COVID, i haven't really driven my car much, so i'm not sure if it is working now...i should give it a try since it's 30C out today (and the next few days) and a heat advisory is on (would be a good test for it).

If it has a slow leak....I'm fine with just topping it up.  Because I don't want to spend more money on this POS.   ;D

It worked last year...then wasn't used over the winter...and now didn't work first time it was used this year.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #389 on: May 25, 2020, 07:15:35 pm »
If it has a slow leak....I'm fine with just topping it up.  Because I don't want to spend more money on this POS.   ;D

It worked last year...then wasn't used over the winter...and now didn't work first time it was used this year.
i paid $150 for a drain/recharge with dye...that way, if it leaks out, they can see where it leaks out to help determine the point of failure...indie shops may be less (the $150 was the dealer, which i wasn't happy about having to pay for).

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #390 on: May 25, 2020, 07:17:24 pm »

i paid $150 for a drain/recharge with dye...that way, if it leaks out, they can see where it leaks out to help determine the point of failure...indie shops may be less (the $150 was the dealer, which i wasn't happy about having to pay for).

Yup...that's the route I'm taking.

Offline Angry Chicken

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +131/-157
  • Don't get Clucky Angry!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: drei Deutsche
« Reply #391 on: May 25, 2020, 08:24:27 pm »

Thank goodness for VW prices on most of that car's peripheral parts

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 25, 2020, 08:27:42 pm »

Thank goodness for VW prices on most of that car's peripheral parts

Compressor as costly as my Lexus' ones...so no real price break here IMO. I checked for comparative purposes.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #393 on: May 25, 2020, 08:59:42 pm »
Diagnose the problem before worrying about compressor costs...could be as simple as a leaking o-ring, or a punctured line. Repair, recharge, enjoy the cool air.

I never thought I'd need AC until I started commuting into the city....sitting in traffic without AC is torture, heat, limited air flow, exhaust fumes, truck noise, it's bad.

The only car I have right now (aside from the ones that never came with AC) with broken AC is the Sonoma...I had a leaky compressor 2-years ago, so I took the opportunity to rebuild most of the system; new compressor, new o-rings, new accumulator, new orifice tube. Charged it and it ran ice cool that summer. Parked it for the winter and in the spring it was warm air again....charged it with the AC dye kit, leaked out in a couple weeks, but even with the dye I can't see the leak. So it's either a leak in the evaporator which requires taking the dash out...or the condenser which requires takes the whole front end of the truck apart. Soooo I'll get to it someday. I don't use the truck for commuting, just cruising, so windows are fine for me.
« Last Edit: May 25, 2020, 09:25:53 pm by Firm »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 25, 2020, 10:03:48 pm »
Diagnose the problem before worrying about compressor costs...could be as simple as a leaking o-ring, or a punctured line. Repair, recharge, enjoy the cool air.

I never thought I'd need AC until I started commuting into the city....sitting in traffic without AC is torture, heat, limited air flow, exhaust fumes, truck noise, it's bad.

The only car I have right now (aside from the ones that never came with AC) with broken AC is the Sonoma...I had a leaky compressor 2-years ago, so I took the opportunity to rebuild most of the system; new compressor, new o-rings, new accumulator, new orifice tube. Charged it and it ran ice cool that summer. Parked it for the winter and in the spring it was warm air again....charged it with the AC dye kit, leaked out in a couple weeks, but even with the dye I can't see the leak. So it's either a leak in the evaporator which requires taking the dash out...or the condenser which requires takes the whole front end of the truck apart. Soooo I'll get to it someday. I don't use the truck for commuting, just cruising, so windows are fine for me.

Of course....

Just thought I'd check pricing as the "next step" in case...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #395 on: May 25, 2020, 11:58:27 pm »
charged it with the AC dye kit, leaked out in a couple weeks, but even with the dye I can't see the leak. So it's either a leak in the evaporator which requires taking the dash out...or the condenser which requires takes the whole front end of the truck apart.
i'm sure you know, but you typically need a blue light/UV lamp to see the dye...do you have that kind of light?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #396 on: May 26, 2020, 09:11:52 am »
charged it with the AC dye kit, leaked out in a couple weeks, but even with the dye I can't see the leak. So it's either a leak in the evaporator which requires taking the dash out...or the condenser which requires takes the whole front end of the truck apart.
i'm sure you know, but you typically need a blue light/UV lamp to see the dye...do you have that kind of light?

Yeah, the kit I have came with a light and a pair of tinted glasses to help you see it. No luck.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #397 on: May 26, 2020, 05:51:54 pm »
F my life...IQ forgot to tell mechanic the hood release needs to be pulled gently (maybe only 1/4")....and he snapped it off because he pulled it like a normal hood release.

This is broken hood release #4....

Terrible design....

« Last Edit: May 26, 2020, 05:53:31 pm by rrocket »

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #398 on: May 26, 2020, 06:14:08 pm »
F my life...IQ forgot to tell mechanic the hood release needs to be pulled gently (maybe only 1/4")....and he snapped it off because he pulled it like a normal hood release.

This is broken hood release #4....

Terrible design....

the fact they sell them in a box of 10 should have been a dead giveaway, no?  :P

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #399 on: May 26, 2020, 06:15:01 pm »
^^I need to buy stock in the company who makes the hood release...