Author Topic: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza  (Read 130568 times)

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
Re: RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza
« Reply #320 on: January 06, 2020, 10:51:34 pm »
In short, she makes sure the claim cannot be declined for some stupid reason.

Which is very important, because if it is, the dealer is out the repair.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: January 06, 2020, 10:55:18 pm »

This job at the Audi dealership must have significant overtime... :rofl: :rofl2:
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #322 on: January 07, 2020, 06:28:48 am »

This job at the Audi dealership must have significant overtime... :rofl: :rofl2:

No, it's not so much about how much warranty work a dealer does as it is how the manufacturer treats the dealer.  Back in the day when I was involved Hyundai was by far the worst.......... very tight time allowances and a hugely complicated claim process and list of codes that seemed designed to run out the clock so the claim could be denied as "too old". A warranty administrator at a Hyundai shop really earned their money.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: January 07, 2020, 08:13:15 am »
Absolutely not.

Thanks for clearing that up.  Makes sense, and it seems like it would be a super important job from a customer retention perspective.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: January 09, 2020, 05:14:47 pm »
The saga continues (sort of).

You'll recall the tech snapped the hood release off.  I had gone to the Audi dealer to get the new one.  And while I was there, I inquired about the alignment as the camber on the RH front tire was off (I had inside wear on tire). 

So asked how much for an alignment ($135) and how camber was adjusted on these.  He told me it was not adjustable.  Said we likely bent something and we'd likely need a new control arm.

I said "no facking way" that's right...but maybe given it's a FGC, it's at least possible.  So I went home and drove the car on the ramp.  Sure enough, 3 bolts on the lower ball joint..and you slide it to adjust the camber.  Audi dealership either clueless..or rapists.

Just got the car back from some other alignment place.....specs perfect all around after alignment.  A far cry from needing new control arm.  Oh..and $117 for the alignment too.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #325 on: January 09, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »
Yeah that is not right, any Audi tech would know...trying to hose you or just make you shut up as a nosy customer haha.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #326 on: January 09, 2020, 05:19:52 pm »
Yeah that is not right, any Audi tech would know...trying to hose you or just make you shut up as a nosy customer haha.

Thing is...a couple of techs were huddling as they were trying to answer my question.

So more than one clueless tech at the new Audi place??

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #327 on: January 09, 2020, 07:14:24 pm »

Thing is...a couple of techs were huddling as they were trying to answer my question.

So more than one clueless tech at the new Audi place??
could be, the car is fairly old and not many techs may have had a long enough tenure with Audi, given that it was a new place. Many could have their basic training, but beyond that they may have been from Porshce, Lexus, Volvo etc. Also, not all techs are certified for alignment, many stick to part swapping and fluid exchanges, and leave the aligments (which dont pay well and can be time consuming/frustrating) to the few guys who will do them.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #328 on: January 09, 2020, 07:25:32 pm »

could be, the car is fairly old and not many techs may have had a long enough tenure with Audi, given that it was a new place. Many could have their basic training, but beyond that they may have been from Porshce, Lexus, Volvo etc. Also, not all techs are certified for alignment, many stick to part swapping and fluid exchanges, and leave the aligments (which dont pay well and can be time consuming/frustrating) to the few guys who will do them.

Literally nearly the exact same adjustment on most Audis, VW (I know it's identical on the GTI), etc.

This isn't some rare adjustment system even by Audi standards.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #329 on: January 09, 2020, 07:28:55 pm »
Identical on which GTI? Not my 2010 MK6, which has no way to adjust front camber, aside from shifting the whole front subframe.  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #330 on: January 09, 2020, 08:02:35 pm »
Identical on which GTI? Not my 2010 MK6, which has no way to adjust front camber, aside from shifting the whole front subframe.  ::)

MK5.

Yup...subframe is the other way...which is what I initially thought this TT would be because the GTI and TT had similar mechanicals.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:12:34 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #331 on: January 09, 2020, 08:11:13 pm »
Pretty sure MK5 is only adjustable by shifting the subframe as well - at least that's what a quick Google search tells me. I'm not surprised, because the MK5 & MK6 are pretty much the same car.

Google is even telling me that the MK4 and MK7 don't have front camber adjustment (aside from subframe shifting,) either. Maybe the MK8 will.  ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #332 on: January 09, 2020, 08:14:48 pm »
Pretty sure MK5 is only adjustable by shifting the subframe as well - at least that's what a quick Google search tells me. I'm not surprised, because the MK5 & MK6 are pretty much the same car.

Google is even telling me that the MK4 and MK7 don't have front camber adjustment (aside from subframe shifting,) either. Maybe the MK8 will.  ;)

It was an older one I saw...a MK5 IIRC.  Unless of course they used an aftermarket or TT ball joints to get extra camber?   ???  I know what I saw though!   ;D  **EDIT** Am starting to think it was aftermarket balls, as the car had some other mods too.  So I stand corrected....I'm certain your knowledge of GTI suspension far exceeds mine.  :bow:   

Even so...the Audi techs should have known this.

I included an image above of the TT balljoint.

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 08:39:25 pm by rrocket »

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
RRocket's FGC Thread Extravaganza
« Reply #333 on: January 09, 2020, 10:05:35 pm »
Yeah, I’ve heard of GTI owners swapping to TT LCAs (and ball joints) in order to get camber adjustability. And there’s no end of aftermarket camber plates and ball joints to provide adjustability on the GTI as well.

Just Googled a picture of the stock MK5/6 ball joint. Can’t tell 100% from the picture, but looks like the slots to provide adjustability are missing. Wonder why? Is it that much cheaper to machine cast a circle than an oval? ???

« Last Edit: January 09, 2020, 10:13:12 pm by HeliDriver »

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #334 on: January 09, 2020, 10:15:31 pm »
Yeah, I’ve heard of GTI owners swapping to TT LCAs (and ball joints) in order to get camber adjustability. And there’s no end of aftermarket camber plates and ball joints to provide adjustability on the GTI as well.

Just Googled a picture of the stock MK5/6 ball joint. Can’t tell 100% from the picture, but looks like the slots to provide adjustability are missing. Wonder why? Is it that much cheaper to machine a circle than an oval? ???

This is some of the VW nonsense that makes zero sense to me.  There's a part that already exist (TT ball joint).  So why not save the time/money of engineering something else and use what's already in the Audi/VW parts bin for the GTI?

I ran into something similar when looking at turbos for the old TT.  Between the TT, GTI and a few other Audi/VW models, there was almost literally a dozen different turbos..despite all cars having a 1.8 T.   ???

Makes no sense to me.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #335 on: January 24, 2020, 09:13:24 pm »
IQ driving to work....all warning lights aglow...engine temp warning flashes on. She pulled over immediately and calls me (6: 30pm) I run down there (22kms away) and drive her to work. She tells me what went on and I guess a snapped belt. After I drop her off, I went back, popped the hood and had a peek. Yep...belt partially missing and shredded. Sigh. Not a roadside fix on this car!

Call tow truck to get car to my buddies (36km away). $120 for the tow. I had to be in the car steering it up the flat bed. When I got out, my foot slipped on the diamond plate bed. Banged my head on the roof and cranked my neck.I feel slightly concussed.

Hoping we can get it fixed tomorrow.

FGC!

It's now past 9pm and I'm mixing myself a rum and coke.

« Last Edit: January 24, 2020, 09:19:28 pm by rrocket »

Offline Allen

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-441
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Q5 Sline, 2022 Honda HRV Touring
« Reply #336 on: January 24, 2020, 09:18:11 pm »
Could have been worse,you could have towed it to an Audi dealer to have it fixed ;D

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #337 on: January 24, 2020, 09:21:35 pm »
No :censor:, right?

I'm curious to see if anyone actually stocks a belt for a VR6. And who knows why it snapped? Might need a new idler or tensioner too.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #338 on: January 24, 2020, 09:26:08 pm »
So, does Jess still love the TT?
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #339 on: January 24, 2020, 09:30:50 pm »
So, does Jess still love the TT?
Railton
Love/hate.

Enjoys driving it...but is aware it's always going to be problematic and irritating. Always.