Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N  (Read 17362 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: First Drive: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N
« Reply #40 on: November 01, 2018, 12:24:28 pm »
Apparently that was an in house thing according to wiki

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: November 01, 2018, 12:29:08 pm »

yup, not a rebadged anything...it only lasted a few years though...the market for that type of vehicle is quite low, and likely the buyers in that segment are pretty brand specific (like pick up truck buyers).

it's replacement is the Sorento...while it's no longer a BOF design, it's sales have been a success for the brand...there are more buyers for that type of vehicle than there were for the Borrego...and the Sorento is no slouch off road, even if it wasn't really designed for that, nor will likely be used for that type of use.

https://youtu.be/4WjpzubCoBo
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #42 on: November 01, 2018, 12:33:54 pm »
 :rofl2: :rofl2:

If you give me a WRX with some decent tires I'm sure I could Mongo Smash my way to the top of hells revenge. Thats not offroad driving, thats driving it like a rental car. As for the Sorento being a replacement for it, yeah, in the way the new Mitsu Eclipse is a replacement for the old Eclipse. Some car based, wrong wheel drive, engine the wrong way CUV is never a replacement for a BOF SUV.

Offline Davep

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +15/-14
    • View Profile
  • Cars: first car - 1965 Hillman Super Minx!!!
« Reply #43 on: November 01, 2018, 11:39:39 pm »
So I haven't done a comparison on the website, but what is are the advantages, if any, of the Volester vs the Elantra GT 1.6?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 02, 2018, 12:44:00 am »
:rofl2: :rofl2:

If you give me a WRX with some decent tires I'm sure I could Mongo Smash my way to the top of hells revenge. Thats not offroad driving, thats driving it like a rental car. As for the Sorento being a replacement for it, yeah, in the way the new Mitsu Eclipse is a replacement for the old Eclipse. Some car based, wrong wheel drive, engine the wrong way CUV is never a replacement for a BOF SUV.
quit being silly...the Sorento isn't trying to be a Wrangler...they're simply showing you that it is still a very capable vehicle for most people buy these for...regardless if you want to admit it or not, it's still pretty impressive.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #45 on: November 02, 2018, 01:06:28 am »

yup, not a rebadged anything...it only lasted a few years though...the market for that type of vehicle is quite low, and likely the buyers in that segment are pretty brand specific (like pick up truck buyers).

it's replacement is the Sorento...while it's no longer a BOF design, it's sales have been a success for the brand...there are more buyers for that type of vehicle than there were for the Borrego...and the Sorento is no slouch off road, even if it wasn't really designed for that, nor will likely be used for that type of use.

https://youtu.be/4WjpzubCoBo

The replacement for the Borrego is not the Sorento. Sorento was around long before the Borrego. It also was BOF at one point.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2018, 01:08:36 am by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2018, 09:29:39 am »
So I haven't done a comparison on the website, but what is are the advantages, if any, of the Volester vs the Elantra GT 1.6?

You're talking about the 'regular' Veloster with the 1.6T, and not the N, right? 

I think its all just styling.  Both vehicles share a drivetrain.  The Elantra has the advantage in passenger space, cargo space, and overall utility.  The Veloster looks (subjectively) better.  Being a 'sportier' vehicle, it could have different suspension tuning, too.  But I'm not sure about that.

Think of a 3-door Golf vs. a Golf Wagon.  Similar comparison...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2018, 10:40:44 am »
The replacement for the Borrego is not the Sorento. Sorento was around long before the Borrego. It also was BOF at one point.
the Sorento was BOF in its early versions, yes, but in terms of the line up, the Sorento essentially replaced the Borrego...the Sorento is their largest CUV now, and is/was also available as a 7 seater...that may change when the Telluride comes though.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 02, 2018, 04:24:38 pm »
When the ultra tepid first Veloster hit the market, whodathunk this little hellion would be its progeny?
I am thrilled anytime an auto maker does something to diverge from the middle-of-the-road Corolla ethos. The fact that the original Veloster managed to appeal to enough people to justify a second generation is how I know there is a God.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12401
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #49 on: November 02, 2018, 04:26:57 pm »
When the ultra tepid first Veloster hit the market, whodathunk this little hellion would be its progeny?
I am thrilled anytime an auto maker does something to diverge from the middle-of-the-road Corolla ethos. The fact that the original Veloster managed to appeal to enough people to justify a second generation is how I know there is a God.

;D
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 02, 2018, 06:01:08 pm »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: November 02, 2018, 09:34:24 pm »
^^^ Agreed - black looks just sooooo much better than that powder-blue colour on this car.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #52 on: November 02, 2018, 11:57:31 pm »
Finally someone stuck the one thing on a wrong wheel car that can make it competitive, an LSD!!! Nice work Hyundai, and it doesn't look like an autobot sex toy, cough cough Civic Type R cough cough.
Finally? Mini did that from 2005 on their R53. Cobalt SS had an option. Mazdaspeed3 had one too. Neon SRT-4 could option one. Even the MS Protege could get one. Some foreign makes had options for them too (Alfa had an option on the later 3.2 V6 cars)

Nice that Hyundai gives it to their hot hatch. All higher hp FWD cars should have them as standard IMO.

Civic Si and both the Ford Fiesta/Focus never had one and it was a travesty.

You're joking, right?  8th gen and 9th Civic Si had a limited slip diff.  I'm not sure about the current generation.  But I know sure as hell that mine had  Torsen limited slip.

The Honda Civic Si has a Helical limited slip differential.  As mentioned the GTI, Golf R come with eLSD much like this Hyundai.  I'd assume the Civic Type R has one as well as the Focus RS, but not sure about the Fiesta ST or Focus ST.

No, don't mistake the "eLSD" term for the purely electronic system in those VW products. The Veloster N has a highly-sophisticated multi-plate clutch-type limited slip differential with electronic control, hence the term eLSD. It's still very much a mechanical system, more robust than the Torsen-type units in competitors, but with precise control linked into the vehicle's overall performance management software.

The VW GTI performance pack is a multi-clutch pack LSD, electronically controlled.

Has been available since the MkVII in 2015. The brake based fake LSD is what you get unless you fork out for the PP.  In the US, you could get it on the lesser GTIs as an option. Not available in Canada unless you buy the most expensive version of the GTI. My pal has it in his for the overall princely sum of $37K.

You must have missed it when it was introduced. Here's an explanation of how it works from 2014 - it's called the VAQ in Europe:

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/ph-eurocars/vws-vaq-diff-explained/30560

Sorry, Hyundai isn't introducing anything new here. Highly sophisticated, lol. Just keeping up with the Joneses. Too bad as others have said they chose to introduce the wacko-looking Veloster with the N goodies, when it would have been much more apprpriate on the Elantra GT (i30).

Offline Scaerio

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +193/-127
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2013 Volvo C30 T5; all my exes: 2005 Suzuki Aerio SE, '02 Renault Clio, '93 Volvo 850 GLT, '78 MB W-123 230
« Reply #53 on: November 04, 2018, 12:08:50 pm »

;D

Agreed - always good to see one of the odd-balls stand out.  The KIA Soul proved that being a bit different can be a winning formula.
I'd rather be car-poor than house-poor...

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #54 on: November 05, 2018, 01:37:22 pm »
Finally someone stuck the one thing on a wrong wheel car that can make it competitive, an LSD!!! Nice work Hyundai, and it doesn't look like an autobot sex toy, cough cough Civic Type R cough cough.
Finally? Mini did that from 2005 on their R53. Cobalt SS had an option. Mazdaspeed3 had one too. Neon SRT-4 could option one. Even the MS Protege could get one. Some foreign makes had options for them too (Alfa had an option on the later 3.2 V6 cars)

Nice that Hyundai gives it to their hot hatch. All higher hp FWD cars should have them as standard IMO.

Civic Si and both the Ford Fiesta/Focus never had one and it was a travesty.

You're joking, right?  8th gen and 9th Civic Si had a limited slip diff.  I'm not sure about the current generation.  But I know sure as hell that mine had  Torsen limited slip.

The Honda Civic Si has a Helical limited slip differential.  As mentioned the GTI, Golf R come with eLSD much like this Hyundai.  I'd assume the Civic Type R has one as well as the Focus RS, but not sure about the Fiesta ST or Focus ST.

No, don't mistake the "eLSD" term for the purely electronic system in those VW products. The Veloster N has a highly-sophisticated multi-plate clutch-type limited slip differential with electronic control, hence the term eLSD. It's still very much a mechanical system, more robust than the Torsen-type units in competitors, but with precise control linked into the vehicle's overall performance management software.

The VW GTI performance pack is a multi-clutch pack LSD, electronically controlled.

Has been available since the MkVII in 2015. The brake based fake LSD is what you get unless you fork out for the PP.  In the US, you could get it on the lesser GTIs as an option. Not available in Canada unless you buy the most expensive version of the GTI. My pal has it in his for the overall princely sum of $37K.

My friend has it in his 2018 Base model GTI that he got for about $30k before tax.  As I mentioned both base and autobahn GTIs have the real LSD in Canada for 2018.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: November 30, 2018, 12:45:09 pm »
Straight Pipes: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N Review - GTI Killer? Yes. Type R Killer? Maybe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaV8Cy_tcEU

Seems like an impressive amount of usable road and track performance for $35k

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #56 on: November 30, 2018, 01:45:28 pm »
Straight Pipes: 2019 Hyundai Veloster N Review - GTI Killer? Yes. Type R Killer? Maybe...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xaV8Cy_tcEU

Seems like an impressive amount of usable road and track performance for $35k

Well Car and Driver did a comparison in their latest issues between the N and Type R and they handed the Type R the crown.  It seems like the N is probably a bit easier to live with day to day but the Type R is a much better track weapon.  Not saying the N isn't an amazing hot hatch for the money, just that if you want a hatchback sports car there is only one choice, Type R.

Offline Patrick_D1

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +100/-104
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 GTI, 2024 Tiguan R-Line Black
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2018, 02:38:32 pm »
My somewhat-biased two cents on this? It's too easy to simply acknowledge the Type R as superior on-track if price is being taken into consideration. Naturally any car needs a bit of track prep, but for the $6K price gap between these two, you could buy a lot of "equalization" for the N. Of course, I can't advocate that anyone modify their car, but it's worth noting.
Manual gearbox evangelist. Die-hard automotive and motorsport enthusiast. Often found covered in mud.

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2018, 02:50:57 pm »
My somewhat-biased two cents on this? It's too easy to simply acknowledge the Type R as superior on-track if price is being taken into consideration. Naturally any car needs a bit of track prep, but for the $6K price gap between these two, you could buy a lot of "equalization" for the N. Of course, I can't advocate that anyone modify their car, but it's worth noting.
I agree that at that price point the N is faster than a GTI, Mini, Focus RS, Civic Si, etc.  But when you start down the road of adding a budget for mods I start thinking about getting a used RWD vehicle and modding it to be a track car.  For the budget that a Civic Type R costs I think I could probably build something that would be faster than that or the N.  But I see what you're saying.  Different tires, a tune, some suspension and transmission work, and the N would probably be faster than the Type R.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #59 on: November 30, 2018, 03:06:58 pm »
I agree that at that price point the N is faster than a GTI, Mini, Focus RS, Civic Si, etc.  But when you start down the road of adding a budget for mods I start thinking about getting a used RWD vehicle and modding it to be a track car.  For the budget that a Civic Type R costs I think I could probably build something that would be faster than that or the N.  But I see what you're saying.  Different tires, a tune, some suspension and transmission work, and the N would probably be faster than the Type R.

^^Nissan 350Z/370Z would be a great base for a track car.