Author Topic: First Ride: 2019 Yamaha Grizzly and Wolverine  (Read 3381 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Ride: 2019 Yamaha Grizzly and Wolverine
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:22:46 am »
Side-by-side and swamps.
Read more...

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: First Ride: 2019 Yamaha Grizzly and Wolverine
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 12:53:14 pm »
I get the attraction to quads....but the whole SxS thing is completely lost on me. You can build a TJ that will be way more capable than any of these for less than $20k. Plus it will be street legal, have a heater and be way less expensive to fix.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 01:10:21 pm »
I have to agree, I don't know anyone who has $20k to buy a very specific use machine, but the hunters probably like them for going deeper into the woods than a Jeep can go.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 01:13:13 pm »
I have to agree, I don't know anyone who has $20k to buy a very specific use machine, but the hunters probably like them for going deeper into the woods than a Jeep can go.

Also $20k is very much in the middle, look at a RZR, they are $25k plus. Gimme a Jeep with lockers and 35" tires any day.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 01:14:28 pm »
I get the attraction to quads....but the whole SxS thing is completely lost on me. You can build a TJ that will be way more capable than any of these for less than $20k. Plus it will be street legal, have a heater and be way less expensive to fix.

Drive the new Can am Maverick X3 and get back to me. 0-60 in 4.4 and can cruise through at a stubble field at well over 100 km/h in comfort. A desert buggy for $30k. It handles big airs quite well too. A total riot to drive. This vehicle totally changed my perspective on SXS.

https://www.brp.ca/off-road/2019/maverick-x3.html

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 01:21:50 pm »
Yep....and many of these are legal on ORV/ATV trails where Jeeps aren't.

These things would smoke a Jeep on trails...these are meant to be driven quickly...not rock crawlers.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 01:31:22 pm »
It does pretty good in the rocks. The question I have is for $30k why would anyone subject their road going vehicle to this stuff?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=024jTmCeK_Y

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 01:34:31 pm »
It does pretty good in the rocks. The question I have is for $30k why would anyone subject their road going vehicle to this stuff?

Yes, but largely I don't see these as rock crawlers/trail crawlers. Whereas that's primarily what the Jeep crowd does here.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 01:36:24 pm »
I've ridden on the back of a SxS on someones bush trail through their property.  I was blown away how well it handled it all.  This trail would have been too narrow for a Jeep to navigate.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 01:38:24 pm »

Drive the new Can am Maverick X3 and get back to me. 0-60 in 4.4 and can cruise through at a stubble field at well over 100 km/h in comfort. A desert buggy for $30k. It handles big airs quite well too. A total riot to drive. This vehicle totally changed my perspective on SXS.

There are like very few sand dunes to launch these things over in Northern Alberta, no the spit of sand in Brule doesn't count, so I have zero use for a desert trophy truck. The fact that you basically have to trailer this thing everywhere kind of annoys me, I like to be able to drive between trails, not put thing on trailer, drive 5 miles, drop it off, go wheeling for a bit, rinse and repeat.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 01:38:37 pm »
I've ridden on the back of a SxS on someones bush trail through their property.  I was blown away how well it handled it all.  This trail would have been too narrow for a Jeep to navigate.
Yes, I drove a narrow Razr on an approved ORV ATV trail and was shocked at how fast and how easy it was to navigate the narrow trails.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 01:43:28 pm »

That looks fun, I'd rent one for sure.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »

There are like very few sand dunes to launch these things over in Northern Alberta, no the spit of sand in Brule doesn't count, so I have zero use for a desert trophy truck. The fact that you basically have to trailer this thing everywhere kind of annoys me, I like to be able to drive between trails, not put thing on trailer, drive 5 miles, drop it off, go wheeling for a bit, rinse and repeat.

In some places. Montana, parts of BC these are road legal. Hopefully the list grows.  No sand in Northern Alberta? Vega?

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 01:47:02 pm »

In some places. Montana, parts of BC these are road legal. Hopefully the list grows.  No sand in Northern Alberta? Vega?

How are they road legal without a plate and signal lights?!?!?!

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 01:55:39 pm »

There are roads here too where these and ATV are legal to drive. Gotta be towards the shoulder and not exceed 50km/h iirc

http://www.mto.gov.on.ca/english/driver/drive-ATV.shtml
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 01:59:22 pm by rrocket »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 02:31:37 pm »

I believe they do have signals (or is a package). Can always hand signal lol.

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 02:50:22 pm »
Side-by-sides are great work vehicles.   Not sure what other vehicle will get to the places i have to go in winter and in relative comfort.   With tracks they are virtually unstoppable.   Windsheild wiper is important too.  I went with a contractor once in his SxS, that had a cab and no windshield wiper, during a heavy wet snowfall and we had to stop and clean the snow off the glass every 10 feet, or so.  What a pita!

Our company is now buying conventional atvs for off-road use and there is no comparison. I hope the SxS i have lasts until i retire.  I don't want to freeze my nuts off while getting to work.   :P

I wouldn't buy one for personal use though.  If i wanted something for off-road fun I would get a dirt bike.   

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
First Ride: 2019 Yamaha Grizzly and Wolverine
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 02:57:30 pm »

Yeah, the stuff you can get away with down in the States is pretty amazing.

For that matter, I was once a bit surprised when a guy on a quad pulled up to the pump next to me at a gas station in Grande Cache. Completely not legal, but I guess the cops turn a blind eye to that kind of stuff in hicksville AB.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 10:04:50 pm »
The full-on sporty ones like that RZR are pretty thrilling machines, but ones that put more focus on utility (like the Hondas, Kawis and Yamaha SXSs) do seem like a heck of a lot of money for pretty meagre performance. 

The Grizzly was loads of more fun to ride.
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 10:24:42 pm »
The full-on sporty ones like that RZR are pretty thrilling machines, but ones that put more focus on utility (like the Hondas, Kawis and Yamaha SXSs) do seem like a heck of a lot of money for pretty meagre performance. 

The Grizzly was loads of more fun to ride.

You getting on a muscle sled this year??