Author Topic: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango SRT  (Read 3707 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango SRT
« on: October 17, 2018, 10:21:42 am »
Blue-collar brawler.
Read more...
« Last Edit: October 17, 2018, 02:39:09 pm by JacobBlack »

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Test Drive: 2018 Dodge Durango
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2018, 10:49:20 am »
The Durango, especially in SRT trim, really does it for me.

Offline z973

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +10/-35
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-50 GSL
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 11:50:47 am »

Wait 3 years and you will pay less than 30 grand

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 12:02:15 pm »
Ahh, Viva la Durango. 

While the SRT is nice, the initial purchase price and the horrendous fuel economy would keep me away.

Nope, the R/T is what I'm lusting after.  While it may not have quite the performance of the SRT Durango, its 360hp brings it pretty close, and you can modify the exhaust quite inexpensively to make it sound almost as aggressive as the SRT.  And yes, the R/T with the 5.7 Hemi still barks on every upshift of that 8-speed transmission, just like the SRT's and Hellcats of the world do. 

Many compare the Durango to the Grand Cherokee, asking why one would buy a Durango over a Grand Cherokee.  And, while I will admit that the Grand Cherokee is the better looking of the two, the increased cargo space in the back of the Durango (when the 3rd row is folded) is what is drawing me to this vehicle over the Grand Cherokee.

Mark my words, I will have one of these as my next vehicle.  I've already started ferreting away a sizeable portion of my paycheck so that in 2 years time I can have a sizeable downpayment to put on a Durango R/T, be it used or new.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 12:04:03 pm »

Wait 3 years and you will pay less than 30 grand

Maybe for a very high mileage model. 2014 Grand Cherokee SRTs are just starting to dip below $40k.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2018, 12:28:49 pm »
I love the armchair buyers who tell you what things will cost in the future...

right now... go try to find even a 2015 (2019's are being ordered, so I'm being generous by saying a 15 is 3 years old)... with just a hemi (so a HUGE difference in cost there) for under 30k... there will be one with near 100k on it or so, but your guess is a pretty wild assumption.

anyways, just delivered one yesterday. guy is thrilled. replaced his r/t and couldn't wipe the smile off his face.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +32/-46
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2018, 12:38:37 pm »
I find it amusing when a $72,000 base price vehicle has a $1,450 option for what is now considered basic (and standard equipment) driver assistance technology in Toyotas and Hondas. I know it's a small fraction of the overall price at this level, but it's still an insulting kick in the left nut and a cash-grab. They know everyone is going to go for it.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2018, 12:46:14 pm »
Easily the most bad ass SUV, that you don't have to be a Hong Kong drug lord to afford, on the market. The SRT is an awesome piece of kit, but even the R/T.....mmmmm  :drool: :drool: :drool: I don't know how people buy MDXs, Pilots, Acadias and crap when you can have a bad ass V8, 7 passenger, great looking thing like this instead.
Lighten up Francis.....

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2018, 12:48:49 pm »
Easily the most bad ass SUV, that you don't have to be a Hong Kong drug lord to afford, on the market. The SRT is an awesome piece of kit, but even the R/T.....mmmmm  :drool: :drool: :drool: I don't know how people buy MDXs, Pilots, Acadias and crap when you can have a bad ass V8, 7 passenger, great looking thing like this instead.

I suppose not everybody needs the capability (towing capacity) that the Durango provides, and those 'other' CUV's will provide better fuel economy in day to day use.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2018, 12:50:59 pm »

I suppose not everybody needs the capability (towing capacity) that the Durango provides, and those 'other' CUV's will provide better fuel economy in day to day use.

Thats part of it.  Also, price.  This SRT is 85K.  Also, reliability/resale. 

I've never liked the look of the Durango, but thats just me.  Powertrain is badass for sure in this model.
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2018, 12:52:00 pm »

Fuel economy.....ppssssshhhh, push the start button on the Highlander/Pilot/Acadia and you get a flacid, flatulent nothing, OR

https://youtu.be/UZxcqKQmHqo  ;D ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2018, 01:00:13 pm »

Thats part of it.  Also, price.  This SRT is 85K.  Also, reliability/resale. 

I've never liked the look of the Durango, but thats just me.  Powertrain is badass for sure in this model.

Even the regular R/T is pretty badass when you compare it to a V6, fwd based thing

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Honda Civic, '17 MB B250, '14 MB B250. Past: '20 MB E53 wagon, '15 Porsche Macan Turbo, '14 MB E63 Wagon, '07 Honda Odyssey, '06 Audi S4 Avant, '05 Chrysler Pacifica, '03 Kawasaki ZRX 1200R, '98 VW GTI, '98 Jeep Cherokee, '91 Audi 20V quattro coupe
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2018, 01:27:18 pm »

Maybe I'm unique in this regard, but I would take an MDX over this thing 10/10 times. Some of these reasons are subjective and personal, some are objective. Much more reasonable pricing, I have no need for a bad-ass V8 in my SUV (I already have a wagon with one) and I like the idea of using less fuel while still getting all the performance I need out of an engine, I have no need for 7 passenger space, I find the styling of the Durango not to my liking, I hate the idea of how quickly my money would depreciate if I bought an SRT or R/T, I prefer a more reliable vehicle.

Considering how many MDXs you see on the road in Edmonton versus how many Durangos of any trim level, maybe I'm not unique. 

Online Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2018, 01:42:04 pm »

Maybe I'm unique in this regard, but I would take an MDX over this thing 10/10 times. Some of these reasons are subjective and personal, some are objective. Much more reasonable pricing, I have no need for a bad-ass V8 in my SUV (I already have a wagon with one) and I like the idea of using less fuel while still getting all the performance I need out of an engine, I have no need for 7 passenger space, I find the styling of the Durango not to my liking, I hate the idea of how quickly my money would depreciate if I bought an SRT or R/T, I prefer a more reliable vehicle.

Considering how many MDXs you see on the road in Edmonton versus how many Durangos of any trim level, maybe I'm not unique.

Or, maybe people are boring and unimaginative.

ANYWAY, My biggest plus in for the Durango R/T is its ability to tow 7400lbs.  You won't get that out of an MDX or a Highlander.  Plus, it really isn't that much more expensive than an MDX.  A moderately optioned R/T is $60k.  A mid-trim MDX is $61k.  The two are priced comparably.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2018, 01:44:04 pm »

The MDX and Durango aren't really competitors. And the MDX has seven seats too.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2018, 01:45:33 pm »

Uhhh, how are they not competitors?? The Durango seats 6 or 7.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 17, 2018, 01:46:18 pm »

ANYWAY, My biggest plus in for the Durango R/T is its ability to tow 7400lbs.  You won't get that out of an MDX or a Highlander.  Plus, it really isn't that much more expensive than an MDX.  A moderately optioned R/T is $60k.  A mid-trim MDX is $61k.  The two are priced comparably.

X100. For $60k, to me, its a no brainer.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 17, 2018, 01:50:41 pm »

Uhhh, how are they not competitors?? The Durango seats 6 or 7.

Because the Durango is a mainstream nameplate RWD platform vehicle and the MDX is a premium brand FWD platform vehicle. I doubt there's much cross-shopping going on between the two.

Offline Wildsau

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 17, 2018, 02:02:53 pm »

X100. For $60k, to me, its a no brainer.

Haha! You guys are adorable! "Boring and unimaginative" - I guess that's what I am. I won't argue one iota over that. Does a 2012 Caravan qualify as interesting and imaginative?

ANYWAY, for me, for $60K, it's also a no-brainer. I wouldn't even walk into a FCA dealership if it's my money. That's why it's a wonderful world. There are perfect rides for you guys, fulfilling your needs and wants. And there are rides that are much more suited to what I need and want. And we can all still live in beautiful harmony. Beautiful, interesting, imaginative harmony.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 17, 2018, 02:19:11 pm »
I drove an R/T for a couple of days.

While the V8 was nice (V8 FTW, always! ), overall it was nothing special. It wasn't particularly quick, it didn't ride or handle particularly well, the interior wasn't particularly good...

It was "meh" city.

Looked nice in black though!
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...