Author Topic: Rust Check vs. Krown  (Read 10212 times)

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
Rust Check vs. Krown
« on: October 08, 2018, 09:50:09 pm »
I've always been a Krown advocate; getting my cars sprayed annually and I've honestly been very happy over the years...even my winter driven cars look great underneath.

However, the one thing that has been bugging me with Krown, and moreso recently (has the formula changed?) is how thin it is, a few highway drives in heavy rain and the 'high impact' area (wheel wells, rocker panels, etc) are washed pretty clean. Since I am OCD about rust that means I am outside with the aerosol cans from CT touching up those areas on a monthly (or sometimes bi-weekly) basis.

I am about to have the Escalade treated for the season (had the DTS Krown a couple weeks ago) and decided to do some research on Rust Check. Reading their website I found this page particularly interesting:
https://www.rustcheck.com/two-step-application-process/

It seems they have a thinner product for inner panels, and a thicker "wash resistant" product for the underbody. I know Krown is using the same product everywhere, so this might be a bit of an advantage to the Rust Check process.

Anyone else every use Rust Check? Pricing is the same as Krown, so I am very tempted to try it with the Escalade and see....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
Re: Rust Check vs. Krown
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2018, 09:53:51 pm »
I've never used Rust Chek but I did buy a can of the Krown T-40 which is supposed to be thicker.   I spray that on the wheel wells, door hinges, etc.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7214
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 08, 2018, 10:30:47 pm »
I've always been a Krown advocate; getting my cars sprayed annually and I've honestly been very happy over the years...even my winter driven cars look great underneath.

However, the one thing that has been bugging me with Krown, and moreso recently (has the formula changed?) is how thin it is, a few highway drives in heavy rain and the 'high impact' area (wheel wells, rocker panels, etc) are washed pretty clean. Since I am OCD about rust that means I am outside with the aerosol cans from CT touching up those areas on a monthly (or sometimes bi-weekly) basis.

I am about to have the Escalade treated for the season (had the DTS Krown a couple weeks ago) and decided to do some research on Rust Check. Reading their website I found this page particularly interesting:

It seems they have a thinner product for inner panels, and a thicker "wash resistant" product for the underbody. I know Krown is using the same product everywhere, so this might be a bit of an advantage to the Rust Check process.

Anyone else every use Rust Check? Pricing is the same as Krown, so I am very tempted to try it with the Escalade and see....
From the Krown website:

"The rust inhibitor itself cannot be removed from the metal with soap and water."

So are they lying?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2018, 10:48:26 pm »

From the Krown website:

"The rust inhibitor itself cannot be removed from the metal with soap and water."

So are they lying?

Don't know - I've seen that line before, but it's very vague, and sort of contradictory to all their statements around getting it re-applied every year. If there is some magical rust inhibitor that remains behind have the oil has washed away, does it automatically disappear one year from the last application to? Just seems sorta far-fetched...

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2018, 10:50:56 pm »

I've used both but presently use Krown. I have switched back in forth over the years depending on who is applying the product. Had the old truck done a couple of months ago. It appears they have done a good job by looking at the spot in front of my house where the truck is parked. I get the civic done every 18 months or so.  I don't believe in any of the undercoating crap the dealers sell. They are counting on you getting rid of the vehicle before any major rust is seen.
From what I have been told the thicker Rust Check costs more than the thinner stuff.
I wouldn't worry too much about it. As long as is applied to the areas such as welds and seems where water can be displaced.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 08, 2018, 10:53:02 pm »

From the Krown website:

So are they lying?

Don't know - I've seen that line before, but it's very vague, and sort of contradictory to all their statements around getting it re-applied every year. If there is some magical rust inhibitor that remains behind have the oil has washed away, does it automatically disappear one year from the last application to? Just seems sorta far-fetched...

Must be working for you though. Your camaro isn't actually new is it ? ;)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2018, 11:01:53 pm »

From the Krown website:

So are they lying?

Yea, that's what I wonder.

Like if you get your car Krowned, then have and drive in rain showers on and off for a week or two...does it all wash off?

What about an automatic car wash?

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2018, 11:26:53 pm »
I've never seen it all wash off; but more so around the areas that get really hit with water at a high impact while driving. If you look under the Escalade right now (about a year since it's last spray), it's pretty dry around the wheel wells and inner rocker/underside behind the front wheels.

It does work, and to Seafoam's point, my rust free high-mileage junkers attest to that. But Krown isn't the only thing I do to keep my stuff from rusting, and I am thinking the thicker stuff might be better, on the underside at least.

Guess I need to try it and find out huh?  ::)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 12:13:30 am »
Definitely works...oil spray is better than no oil spray.

I think it's been largely agreed that HOW well is applied is more important than the actual product used.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2018, 03:38:42 pm »
OK, so another thread reminded me to update this.

After some disappointment in the way Krown's product seems to quick wear off of the underside of the car I experimented a bit with the Rust Check product....Rust Check actually has two formulas; the thinner (red) formula for inner panels, underhood, etc and a thicker formula for the underside. I bought a couple aerosol cans of the thicker stuff and touched up the underside of the DTS, then drove it in some big rain storms. Checked underneath and the Rust Check product is still coating well everywhere I sprayed it.

That experiment prompted me to take the Escalade for it's annual treatment at my local Rust Check facility vs. the Krown. Same pricing (too much IMO, especially with the 'large SUV' tax), but I would say that the Rust Check application was much more thorough, especially when it comes to the underside. After the application I checked underneath and it was thoroughly coated with the thicker product, and all the doors, rockers, etc were dripping heavily with the red thinner product.

Since the underside gets a thicker product, it drips less, but smokes more for longer than Krown. Mrs.Firm drove the truck in yesterday's rain storm, i checked underneath when I got home and the coating still looks as fresh as when it was applied, so I believe this is going to last much longer than Krown's protection.

So, my non-scientific approach to this suggests that the Rust Check product is superior, results obviously will vary by applicator, but I will be using Rust Check going forward.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2018, 04:18:48 pm »
I'm out of Rust Check forever because of the long history of fraud, deception and bankruptcies.  They would have disappeared forever if not for Crappy Tire that sold their crap in spray cans for decades.  And crap it was.

After a decade of litigation with Rust Check, ex Rust Check dealers formed a co-op called Krown with a much superior liquid.  Now they have 2 types.  The 40 and 32.  Forget which is which, but the thicker stuff is sprayed on the underside and the thinner stuff is injected and sprayed in the engine compartment, trunk, doors, hood, etc.

IMO, just because something is thicker and adheres longer doesn't mean it's doing anything productive other than looking better.  My wheel liners are plastic and felt on the rear so spraying on top of those is pointless, but getting spray behind all that is what counts.

Rust Check was very destructive to vehicle owners in the 90s and for that reason I wish them a most bitter end.  :)

In addition, like Seafoam mentioned, much has to do with each individual shop.  How through and liberal with the spray are they.

« Last Edit: October 24, 2018, 04:20:43 pm by ArticSteve »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2018, 04:22:02 pm »
You should get CTC lab to research to see which is better so they can sell the best one under CTC label  ;D
Without know what chemicals are left on the metal , I think it is impossible to know which is better

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2018, 09:08:12 pm »
My car is 20 years old now and I have "Rust Sprayed" it before it was exposed to its first Winter and ever since; it has done a GREAT job of protecting my car from corrosion. I started by using Rust Check and after a few years I changed to Krown, just because there was a Krown dealership in my neighborhood, they both worked great.

My main issue now is dripping, I almost lost my indoor (apartment building) parking spot last year because of a dripping complaint. I thought that this year I might throw a bag of Kitty Litter underneath my car and sweep it up after the dripping stops. I know that Krown has some Kitty Litter-like stuff that they use on their own properties.

That "dripless" stuff sure can make a big mess to clean up, it took lots of time, lots of soap and water, and a big stiff push broom and lots and lots of elbow grease to get that stuff of the concrete :-\

Does any-one have a better solution for this dripping problem?
LETS' DO THE "TIME WARP"... AGAIN!!!

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2018, 09:17:10 pm »
My car is 20 years old now and I have "Rust Sprayed" it before it was exposed to its first Winter and ever since; it has done a GREAT job of protecting my car from corrosion. I started by using Rust Check and after a few years I changed to Krown, just because there was a Krown dealership in my neighborhood, they both worked great.

My main issue now is dripping, I almost lost my indoor (apartment building) parking spot last year because of a dripping complaint. I thought that this year I might throw a bag of Kitty Litter underneath my car and sweep it up after the dripping stops. I know that Krown has some Kitty Litter-like stuff that they use on their own properties.

That "dripless" stuff sure can make a big mess to clean up, it took lots of time, lots of soap and water, and a big stiff push broom and lots and lots of elbow grease to get that stuff of the concrete :-\

Does any-one have a better solution for this dripping problem?

Park on a tarp ? I usually park in the street for  a few  of days.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2018, 09:18:08 pm »
I usually park on the street for about a week after a spray  :rofl2:

One time I bought a big tarp (or maybe it was two), laid them down on the driveway, put some bricks down to hold them, and parked on that for a week. Worked well, but I am sure the neighbors questioned my sanity...

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 24, 2018, 09:19:55 pm »
but I am sure the neighbors questioned my sanity...

You drive old Firebirds.

They've been questioning your sanity for a long time.... ;D   :rofl2: :rofl:

Offline CarFly

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +5/-6
  • Cars: Good times:) Bad investment ;/
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MG Midget, Ford Falcon, Mazda RX-experimental rotary engine, Pontiac Firebird 350, Yamaha 500cc, Yamaha 850cc, Harley-Davidson LowRider 1340cc, VW Beetle, Mazda 3, Pontiac Sunfire 2.4 GT Coupe
« Reply #16 on: October 24, 2018, 09:45:01 pm »
Maybe I'll park in the Church parking lot next door ;D  I hear that they are very forgiving, maybe they will clean up the mess and wash my car for me too :D ...or have my car ticketed and towed. (I tend to think ticked and towed)

Offline Thinking Out Loud

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +19/-16
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '16 Suzuki M50 Boulevard + '19 Frontier Pro4X + 2015 Mustang EcoBoost 'vert + '09 Altima SL Coupe
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2018, 10:05:56 am »
We have a 2006 Mazda MPV (the era when all Mazdas shed their rear fenders in just a few years).

I've done Krown for probably 8 of the 12 years and just had it done again in October. The underside is clean and I still have both rear fenders intact, although the outer skin seam that is supposed to be pinched with the inner fender is opening up gradually.  If I could find someone to spot weld it shut again it would help LOL.

I spray extra Krown into the open seam as well and clear out the dirt and mud that accumuates, accelerating the rust.

Interesting Jalopnik story on a 270,000 MILE MPV:

https://jalopnik.com/this-270-000-mile-mazda-mpv-is-a-high-mileage-hero-1829762305
Fortune favours the bold!

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2018, 03:17:03 pm »
i've been using Oil Gard on my vehicles the last few years...like others have said, it likely has more to do with how well the product is applied...i'm sure all the products are pretty comparable in terms of being decent.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline kard00d

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +3/-0
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: December 04, 2018, 09:14:26 pm »
Krown does do some hand waving.... I had rust form around the holes ... this was a 3 yr old car, Krowned every year from brand new within a week of getting it.

Yet, their FAQ about hole rusting says the holes are "treated with a special compound ensuring that they will not rust"..   

Also, that same car had plugs pop out, not seating right, etc.

Krown might be good... but the teenagers or shop owners brother-in-law applying it may not have a clue..

Also heard that the hole placement is specified per model by Krown HQ, based on factory knowledge, etc.  BS.  The dude puts holes where he wants.   They put a hole in a place where the panel was too thick for the plug stem to hold, hence the plug kept popping.

Yes, I'm still bitter paying $100/year to help my car rust.