Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Subaru WRX  (Read 2021 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Subaru WRX
« on: October 05, 2018, 07:11:49 pm »
Track day performance, daily driver tech.

Read more.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Subaru WRX
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2018, 08:41:36 am »
This in the base model is a great deal, but anything above that, not so much... and it's not getting any love here, LOL!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2018, 12:51:45 pm »
The base STi is probably the best value in the segment right now. I’d pony up over the WRX to get DCCD and the more easily modded 2.5L engine.

This also applies to the WRX. Get the base model. You get the mechanical goodies and skip the too-high price jumps to the higher trim levels.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2018, 01:44:07 pm »
This in the base model is a great deal, but anything above that, not so much... and it's not getting any love here, LOL!!

LOL no kidding - this is surprising. Meanwhile, post a Golf R or GTI review and we'd be 6 pages deep by now :P.

Hard not to appreciate what a base WRX offers as an all-weather performance/utility/value proposition. That said, as petty as it is, the exterior design ruins it for me. IMHO it's down to this: they should've made it a hatch, for utility's sake and also it seems all automakers struggle to make their compact 4-door sport sedans look good. The proportions are always just a little wonky; too tall and ungainly: WRX, Audi A3, the current CLA; all of them, meh.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2018, 03:04:06 pm by lebowski »

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-460
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2018, 02:38:01 pm »
I think we're all just waiting for the next generation of WRX.  The current one didn't really do much for me when I drove it when it first came out.  I think with the improvements they've made to the current Imprezza the next WRX should be one of the better vehicles in its segment.  I'm just hoping it'll still start out under that $30K MSRP.

I have to admit that I stopped reading this article after I found out that it has a CVT.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #5 on: October 09, 2018, 02:40:30 pm »
The base STi is probably the best value in the segment right now. I’d pony up over the WRX to get DCCD and the more easily modded 2.5L engine.

This also applies to the WRX. Get the base model. You get the mechanical goodies and skip the too-high price jumps to the higher trim levels.

Yup, I would forego a lot of the "luxury" options and that horrid CVT  :hurl: :hurl: :hurl: for a base STI.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #6 on: October 09, 2018, 04:33:45 pm »
No way I'd buy either a WRX or STi with anything other than a three pedal set up. Yeah, the manual transmission is no S2K unit, but it's nice enough.

Subaru greatly improved the chassis with this generation, but they're standing still again. The competition is leaping ahead and they need to keep up.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #7 on: October 09, 2018, 04:36:10 pm »
While I like their hardheadedness in sticking with a boxer engine....between head gasket and ring land failures, hopefully their next gen of engines will have those problems solved.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #8 on: October 09, 2018, 04:55:53 pm »

The base STI is priced right around where the CTR is, that I think is quite a bit better equipped.  Then you have the loaded Golf R at what the STI sport is at, while the Loaded STI is a couple grand more than the loaded Golf R.  I think the Golf R is the best value in the segment personally. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2018, 05:00:39 pm »
Base STi and Golf R are both good performance value propositions. The Golf is a different animal, and I think the trick would be to drive both and one would stand out depending on your personal preference. I like the raw nature of the Subaru and the love the DCCD AWD system. But a lot of folks would find the much more refined and luxurious Golf more to their liking.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2018, 04:16:01 am »
While I like their hardheadedness in sticking with a boxer engine....between head gasket and ring land failures, hopefully their next gen of engines will have those problems solved.

That was the 2.5 engine, not this one. And not all 2.5's had the ringland problem by any means - my 2008 LGT never has, with that DOHC engine. I know several of the local WRX go-faster crew with older cars (the new one never features) and none of them has had that problem either despite boosting to 11. The DOHC has never had head gasket issues, that was the SOHC regular 2.5 in Foresters/Outbacks, cooking Imprezas. If you're going to be snarky, get your facts straight. The problem with the newer DI engines has been oil consumption. Since that has been going on for seven years once the 2.5 was ditched and you never mention it , your mind seems stuck in the wayback machine about a dozen years ago.

The current WRX with CVT I drove had the rear backlight window that rattled/buzzed loudly each time the engine revs rose and fell either side of 1500 rpm. Hell in traffic. "They all do that!" said the helpful salesman and attendant service writer and mechanic after I returned from an overnight loan. Since I read the forums, I knew that was true. However, hours of wedging cardboard in strategic locations was not something I felt I should have to do in a new car. "Too bad", says I to expectant faces, "it drove me crazy".  Not a patch on the old LGT. Noisy, wasn't that quick at full wick, rode like a truck and gave off cheapy vibes interior-wise. Nice handling was all I liked about it. In a drag race, I'd take it on and not expect necessarily to lose. Those 268 hp are not hairy-chested ones, and it won't rev out to 6500 rpm like the old engine. It feels like a mini-motor through the seven fake CVT ratios.

Subaru is no longer on my radar.  Even the Forester XT has been dumped. They just want to sell head-bobbler wagons for the greenie trade with dogs, and to grey-faced accountants with a check list - "Ah, AWD". Very successfully done, I might add. Not my cup of tea at all. If the next WRX is a noisy boy-racer then forget it. They're done. Some refinement desperately required.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2018, 10:48:02 am »
Don't forget blown turbos/engines. Couldn't believe the amount of Subarus we looked at with these issues.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2018, 10:49:51 am by rrocket »
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2018, 01:08:09 pm »
Almost all Subaru engines made since the 2.2L of the 1990s have issues. The most reliable modern Subaru engine is probably the old 2.5L from the STi. Not sure if the closed deck helps, but they have very few issues.

The newest 2.0L is one I haven't paid much attention to. Maybe it's doing well?  I haven't heard of issues with the D4S version in the BRZ, but I haven't really been spending time reading forums, etc. I'm not planning on returning to Subaru anytime...