Author Topic: Bad Driving Habits You May Not Know You Have  (Read 1336 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Bad Driving Habits You May Not Know You Have
« on: October 05, 2018, 01:18:43 pm »
Check yourself before you...
Read more...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
Re: Bad Driving Habits You May Not Know You Have
« Reply #1 on: October 05, 2018, 01:42:19 pm »
I had to look up what hooking the wheel was. What the hell, people do this? That doesn't look remotely comfortable.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: October 05, 2018, 01:43:58 pm »
I had to look up what hooking the wheel was. What the hell, people do this? That doesn't look remotely comfortable.

Yeah, I don't see the purpose of that either.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 05, 2018, 01:45:20 pm »
Yeah, WTF is that?

My wife has the odd habit of putting her hands next to each other when turning.  Like they will both be at 9 o'clock when turning left.  It's the weirdest thing. 

I've tried to explain that she has no range of motion if evasive maneuvers are needed but it's fallen on deaf ears.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: October 05, 2018, 01:47:08 pm »
Yeah, WTF is that?

My wife has the odd habit of putting her hands next to each other when turning.  Like they will both be at 9 o'clock when turning left.  It's the weirdest thing. 

I've tried to explain that she has no range of motion if evasive maneuvers are needed but it's fallen on deaf ears.

My mom does that as well and because she does that she oversteers and then has to correct the other way.....I've mentioned it a few times and been told to go fornicate with myself  ;D

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2018, 01:48:28 pm »
My wife has also been guilty of putting her feet on the dash.  But that seems to have stopped.  It might have been the article about the woman who destroy both of her hips in an accident that did it.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2018, 01:52:00 pm »
I can vaguely remember doing the wheel hooking thing on an old 5-ton dump truck we had at work. If it had power steering, it sure wasn't very effective - grabbing the wheel from behind gave you a little extra leverage to pull the wheel around.

But I have no idea why you'd do it on a modern car.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2018, 02:02:40 pm »
Riding with a dog on the driver's lap. Great way to have Fluffy shrapnel blasted into your face/chest at 200kph if the airbag goes off. One of the very few times I raised my voice to the former LadyO. She did have sense enough to listen.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2018, 02:22:56 pm »
Riding with a dog on the driver's lap. Great way to have Fluffy shrapnel blasted into your face/chest at 200kph if the airbag goes off. One of the very few times I raised my voice to the former LadyO. She did have sense enough to listen.

Oh, yeah. And of course there's just the general distraction of it.

I was pulled up next to a car at a red light a while ago: there was some kind of hyper mutt literally doing laps from the front seat jumping to the back then back to the front seat then doing it all over again. How the hell can anyone drive with that going on? (And I'm sure the interior of that car smelled and looked like complete ass.  :P )

Dogs belong in a kennel in the back, or belted in the rear seat, if that's your only option. I actually snapped a pic a while back - WRX sedan with the rear seats folded down and a kennel strapped sideways in the back. Major props to that guy! (but it's still a shame you can't get a proper WRX hatchback)

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #9 on: October 05, 2018, 02:42:01 pm »
One thing I have to question:

Driving Ahead First at a Two-Way Stop

Here’s the scenario: you come to a two-way stop sign, intending to turn left, but you have to wait until cross traffic clears. In the meantime, someone gets to the stop sign opposite you, and will be going straight through. When traffic clears, you take off first – you got there first, right? Wrong! The vehicle going straight has the right-of-way, even if that driver arrived after you. If you’re confused by this, picture it as a red light, not a stop sign. When the light turns green, you wait for oncoming cars before you turn left. Same thing applies here.

I always thought the order of arrival is what matters. Right of way only applies when the two cars arrive at roughly the same time. Will have to look at the ICBC handbook.

Another bad habit is that I see some people driving an automatic with their hand on the gear stick in D. Like WTF? You are not shifting. I drive a stick and even then, I try not to rest my hand on the knob because it's safer with 2 hands on the steering wheel and resting your hand on the gear stick on a stick can wear the selector fork out.

Edit: looked at the ICBC handbook and the article is technically correct. However, when you make these turns, you usually have to creep forward to see better, which makes you in the intersection, and that makes it so that the other driver must yield.

If two vehicles are stopped at a two-way stop and one of the drivers wants to turn left, this driver must yield the right-of-way to the other vehicle. The only exception is if the left-turning vehicle is already in the intersection and has started to make the turn. In this case, the other vehicle must yield.
« Last Edit: October 05, 2018, 02:53:07 pm by UnknownJinX »

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2018, 02:49:37 pm »
First arrival only applies to 4-way stops.