Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan  (Read 6164 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
First Drive: 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan
« on: October 04, 2018, 07:16:20 am »
New baby Benz
Read more...

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
Re: First Drive: 2019 Mercedes-Benz A-Class Sedan
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2018, 07:48:20 am »
The fact that during this media presentation Mercedes-Benz mentioned not one whit about how the A 220 drove, and referred to their new sedan as the “Ultimate Mobile Device” speaks volumes. Interestingly, this is M-B’s first use of a touchscreen.

Wonder how horrible this is to drive at night with all that light inside the cabin.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2018, 07:58:02 am »
yes it does speak volumes, depressing

"oh the infotainment will please the little Millennial in you, look at all the screens and connectivity...oh yeah, it is a car, it drives...you don't need to know more"
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2018, 09:20:04 am »
It strikes me that driver training is going to start addressing how we process information, similar to what a Pilot needs to go through.

With all those screens there is so much superfluous information that people are going to need to learn what to pay attention to and what to filter out.

Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2018, 09:46:17 am »
Oh boy  :banghead:  I'm gonna go outside and yell at some clouds now...  :rofl:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2018, 10:14:45 am »
good, my voice is hoarse and the clouds are particularly menacing today  :P

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2018, 10:19:32 am »

Can I join ya?? I will bring beer and some lawnchairs. This isn't a car, this in an Ipad with a propensity to crash into things.
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 10:39:56 am by Fobroader »
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12396
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2018, 10:21:06 am »
The fact that during this media presentation Mercedes-Benz mentioned not one whit about how the A 220 drove, and referred to their new sedan as the “Ultimate Mobile Device” speaks volumes. Interestingly, this is M-B’s first use of a touchscreen.

Wonder how horrible this is to drive at night with all that light inside the cabin.

Quite horrible if that pic is any guide - it's already giving me a headache.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #8 on: October 04, 2018, 10:37:50 am »
well, i guess i'll be the outlier here...i like it...i think it looks decent, modern (in terms of tech features), and from the sounds of it, actually provides a premium feel (which it should, since it's an MB product)...factor in a nicely equipped AWD version should be around $40k, i'd imagine they'll move these quite well...the only knock may be reliability as they haven't been the best lately, but perhaps some of the new stuff will be better...we'll see.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2018, 10:40:20 am »
good, my voice is hoarse and the clouds are particularly menacing today  [emoji14]
That they are!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2018, 10:41:21 am »

Can I join ya?? I will bring beer and some lawnchairs. This isn't a car, this in an Ipad with a propensity to crash into things.

:cheers:

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2018, 10:41:56 am »
well, i guess i'll be the outlier here...i like it...i think it looks decent, modern (in terms of tech features), and from the sounds of it, actually provides a premium feel (which it should, since it's an MB product)...factor in a nicely equipped AWD version should be around $40k, i'd imagine they'll move these quite well...the only knock may be reliability as they haven't been the best lately, but perhaps some of the new stuff will be better...we'll see.

But...it screams "I couldn't afford a proper Mercedes", plus its made in Mexico and has a 4 cylinder. As for "premium feel", have you been into a CLA or B class, the Koreans make them look bad.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #12 on: October 04, 2018, 10:59:08 am »
This isn't a car, this in an Ipad with a propensity to crash into things.

C'mon now.  I'm sure an actual iPad will last a lot longer before this electronic gadget implodes.
One positive thing about these:  spot one and you know to stay well clear of them...
« Last Edit: October 04, 2018, 11:21:58 am by Weels »

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 04, 2018, 11:00:08 am »
This isn't a car, this in an Ipad with a propensity to crash into things.

C'mon now.  I'm sure an actual iPad will last a lot longer before this electronic gadget implodes.
One positive thing about these:  spot one and you know to stay well clear of them...

Thats true....I can only imagine the types of owners this thing would attract....."but daddy, I need a Mercedes for my instagram needs".

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2018, 11:35:40 am »

Yeah, I'm with you.

Also, some of you don't seem to get that some people actually want a premium small car and that is what Mercedes is delivering here. We can argue that the CLA was a poor attempt at doing that but they seem to have made some substantial improvements for the new A-series cars (hatch, sedan, "coupe").

And not everyone (actually, the vast majority of people) is a car enthusiast. They just want something that drives nicely, has decent power, gets good fuel economy, and has the latest safety and tech features. I'm not so sure what's wrong with that.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2018, 11:39:34 am »

Yeah, I'm with you.

Also, some of you don't seem to get that some people actually want a premium small car and that is what Mercedes is delivering here. We can argue that the CLA was a poor attempt at doing that but they seem to have made some substantial improvements for the new A-series cars (hatch, sedan, "coupe").

And not everyone (actually, the vast majority of people) is a car enthusiast. They just want something that drives nicely, has decent power, gets good fuel economy, and has the latest safety and tech features. I'm not so sure what's wrong with that.

Oh, I completely understand that and agree that you can have a small premium sedan & have to pay for it accordingly... and that there is a market for that. It's more the screens & technology that scares me from a reliability perspective, I mean what can go wrong with German electronics?  :o  :rofl2:  ;D

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 04, 2018, 11:40:49 am »

Yeah, I'm with you.

Oh, I completely understand that and agree that you can have a small premium sedan & have to pay for it accordingly... and that there is a market for that. It's more the screens & technology that scares me from a reliability perspective, I mean what can go wrong with German electronics?  :o  :rofl2:  ;D

I dunno though, how often do screens and such fail?

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 04, 2018, 11:46:50 am »
But...it screams "I couldn't afford a proper Mercedes", plus its made in Mexico and has a 4 cylinder. As for "premium feel", have you been into a CLA or B class, the Koreans make them look bad.

Funny how we always bring up cars that are made in Mexico but no one seems to bat an eye at the fact that the 3-series is built in South Africa, or that Q7s and Cayennes are built in Slovakia.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2018, 11:47:01 am »
Mercedes=

Not mercedes=

oops...I mean

Always get those two confused

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2018, 11:49:01 am »

Yeah, I'm with you.

I dunno though, how often do screens and such fail?

I dunno either? New interface though, so some software glitches can be expected... and then the other hardware needed to support those screens? Done by German's?  :rofl:  Don't know if I'd be brave enough to buy one outta warranty  :-\