Author Topic: The Best (and Worst) Cupholders  (Read 4511 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
The Best (and Worst) Cupholders
« on: September 27, 2018, 08:35:32 am »
Because coffee is for drinking, not wearing.
Read more...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: The Best (and Worst) Cupholders
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2018, 08:46:28 am »
That ancient one in the Saab is indeed fairly useless under anything but the most sedate driving.

The one in mine actually works, not that I use it often.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2018, 09:28:35 am »
My Sonoma has a fantastic setup; two HUGE rubber lined cupholders in the center console capable of handling a large 7/11 Bug Gulp, and two more nearly as large units in the door pockets. For a 2 seater truck...awesome.

SLK and 96 Firebird are both pretty bad....SLK pull-outs drip condensation onto the center stack:

Firebird is too shallow to actually hold anything securely, and creates elbow interference:

Also weird with the Firebird is that it has a nice deep cup holder in the passenger side door pocket, but none on the Driver's side....wtf.

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2018, 09:41:55 am »
That ancient one in the Saab is indeed fairly useless under anything but the most sedate driving.

Cupholders lead to automatic transmissions.  ;D

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2018, 10:08:07 am »
My moms 95 Legacy had some shitty cupholders, held nothing securely and if the cup indeed runneth over, it went all over the stereo, HVAC controls and center stack

The Monteros are also utter crap, nothing is secure but at least they come out easily for cleaning, something like this

Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2018, 10:28:35 am »

Yes, they do. Hence why my Alfa has zero cupholders. None. Italians have an espresso, drive, then stop at another cafe for another espresso. Repeat 10 times for a typical Italian day. NO liquids are to be consumed in the car. And...what's behind me, is not important.  ;)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2018, 11:18:36 am »

Yes, they do. Hence why my Alfa has zero cupholders. None. Italians have an espresso, drive, then stop at another cafe for another espresso. Repeat 10 times for a typical Italian day. NO liquids are to be consumed in the car. And...what's behind me, is not important.  ;)
I was going to say, French cars are the same way. If a cupholder shape is moulded into the centre console, it is really intended just for storing coins or keys, as it's far to shallow to hold anything more than 8cm tall.

My Peugeot 308 doesn't even have a cupholder. You can flip a hidden small round tray out in the bottom of the storage cubby behind the shifter, but no one ever has a beverage while driving, unless it's a bottle of water- which is stored in the door bin.

I can't think of the last time I had an open beverage in the car. Most people finish their cup of coffee at home or at the restaurant before hitting the road anyway, I don't see the fuss and the point of wasted dash space.........
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2018, 11:24:33 am »
I don't see the fuss and the point of wasted dash space.........

How often do Europeans go on 4+ hour road trips?  For me, that's a regular occurrence and having a cup of coffee/water to sip on is nice. 

The VW cup holders are similar to the Lexus ones, minus being able to raise and lower.  There's also an indent in the door for a bottle of water.  Thankfully VW lined the door pockets in a felt like material so the bottle doesn't rattle around.  That said, I think they got rid of that with the mk7.5 refresh.
« Last Edit: September 27, 2018, 11:26:15 am by tortoise »
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2018, 11:27:19 am »

How often do Europeans go on 4+ hour road trips?  For me, that's a regular occurrence and having a cup of coffee/water to sip on is nice. 

The VW cup holders are similar to the Lexus ones, minus being able to raise and lower.  There's also an indent in the door for a bottle of water.  Thankfully VW lined the door pockets in a felt like material so the bottle doesn't rattle around.  That said, I think they got rid of that with the mk7.5 refresh.

In 4 hours you can cross a few countries....you are better to fly.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2018, 11:32:21 am »

Quite a lot. No, really.

Like I said, multiple bottles of water fit in the door bins. So you stay hydrated. A 1,5 L won't fit, but a 1 litre bottle will, and a couple smaller 50cl ones too, along with the obligatory high-vis jacket. I think that amount is sufficient to last one 2h or so, at which point you should stop at an aire / rest stop to take a break. There are plenty of coffee/expresso/cappuccino/latte vending machines there, and you can finish your beverage there before returning, refreshed, to continue on your journey.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 27, 2018, 11:33:22 am »

Quite a lot. No, really.

Like I said, multiple bottles of water fit in the door bins. So you stay hydrated. A 1,5 L won't fit, but a 1 litre bottle will, and a couple smaller 50cl ones too, along with the obligatory high-vis jacket. I think that amount is sufficient to last one 2h or so, at which point you should stop at an aire / rest stop to take a break. There are plenty of coffee/expresso/cappuccino/latte vending machines there, and you can finish your beverage there before returning, refreshed, to continue on your journey.

What the hell do you need PPE on a roadtrip for??

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 27, 2018, 11:40:32 am »

Quite a lot. No, really.

Most countries require a high-vis jacket if you step outside a moving vehicle onto the highway. If you have a flat tire, run out of petrol, break down, etc......it's not like I've ever opened my sachet and I never hope to. But you must have one, just like a warning triangle and a first-aid kit. I implemented this myself in the US 8 years ago as well.

If you leave your high-vis in the boot/trunk and you have a flat tire, you have to then get out of the vehicle to retrieve said jacket- which means someone might hit you (remember most roadways are unlit). Some do stow it under the cargo floor, but it's better to just have it in reach.

Offline Firm

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +232/-1073
  • Urban Hick
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2010 XKR, 2007 DTS, 2006 Escalade, 2000 Sonoma ZQ8,1996 Firebird, 1996 Firebird Formula, 1985 Trans Am, 1984 Camaro, 1978 MGB x2
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2018, 11:48:42 am »

Quite a lot. No, really.

Nothing I find more annoying than having to stop on a road trip....hammer down. Toronto to Montreal or Ottawa are non-stop trips provided Mrs.Firm isn't in the car and the vehicle has enough range. Cup holders are a must. Even when we took the T/A on a road trip to the US, it doesn't have cupholders and I eventually got sick enough of it that I stopped at an Autozone and bought one of those wedge style ones that go between the console and the seats to get us through the rest of the trip.

You would've laughed...The other week, on the way to Ottawa I had 3 of the 5 cupholders in the front of the Ram filled with drinks, and a bag of Doritos on the back seat (left home at 3am...caffeine and junkfood was necessary).

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2018, 11:49:57 am »
Most countries require a high-vis jacket if you step outside a moving vehicle onto the highway. If you have a flat tire, run out of petrol, break down, etc......it's not like I've ever opened my sachet and I never hope to. But you must have one, just like a warning triangle and a first-aid kit. I implemented this myself in the US 8 years ago as well.

If you leave your high-vis in the boot/trunk and you have a flat tire, you have to then get out of the vehicle to retrieve said jacket- which means someone might hit you (remember most roadways are unlit). Some do stow it under the cargo floor, but it's better to just have it in reach.

That's actually a really good idea.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 27, 2018, 11:57:16 am »

Yes it is.....especially if you frequent dark back roads.

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #15 on: September 27, 2018, 12:04:09 pm »
No issues with the cup holders I have in the JGC, they work well for all different sizes and I also have the ones in the doors as well. The ones in the 323i suck, they come out of the dash... and the ones in the 951 are non-existent  :rofl2:
You live everyday. You only die once....

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 27, 2018, 12:33:33 pm »

Yes it is.....especially if you frequent dark back roads.

I had a flat tire on the QEII years ago and it was a scary experience being on the side of the highway trying and replacing that tire, even though it was the middle of the day.

Offline draghon

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +20/-27
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Mine [07 Civic SI coupe] Wife [23 Sienna XSE AWD]
« Reply #17 on: September 27, 2018, 12:47:34 pm »
Love the cupholders in my civic! They are deep, square shaped and have spring loaded "fingers" that hold just about any shaped container tight. Bonus, it has a retracting lid to cover them when not it use.
ex rides: 93 Aerostar XLT AWD
wife ex rides: 07 Wave base, 11 Tiguan Comfortline with sport package, 14 Acadia SLE II AWD

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #18 on: September 27, 2018, 12:58:49 pm »

Agreed.

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #19 on: September 27, 2018, 01:01:13 pm »
The holders in MX-5 are pretty clever.  Location ain't the best, but what are you going to do. You will bump your elbow into it occasionally.
Holds stuff securely, even with 'sprited' driving.