Author Topic: What’s in a Name? Truth vs Marketing  (Read 2150 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
What’s in a Name? Truth vs Marketing
« on: September 25, 2018, 08:20:15 am »
Some genuine, bona fide classics.
Read more...

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
Re: What’s in a Name? Truth vs Marketing
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2018, 12:49:27 pm »
interesting observation regarding fuel...i've started using Premium gas in our Sorento the last few tanks...i've never experienced any issues before using regular unleaded (in terms of knocking, pinging, etc) and the recommended fuel for the engine is regular...since my Rio5 runs much better with it, i wanted to try a few tank fulls in the Sorento since most people suggest using premium fuel in turbo engines...in my non-scientific findings, i have noticed reduced fuel consumption, and by a noticeable amount...current tank is mid to high 10s, which is about 2 L/100 kms lower than normal (it's usually in the high 12s, or very low 13s if traffic has been really congested during the week)...a recent road trip, on the 400 series highway at 120 km/hr, returned high 8s as well...again, not a scientific experiment, so take it with a grain of salt, but i am finding improved fuel economy in the last month or so using it...i've decided to continue using it going forward.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2018, 02:20:22 pm »
interesting observation regarding fuel...i've started using Premium gas in our Sorento the last few tanks...i've never experienced any issues before using regular unleaded (in terms of knocking, pinging, etc) and the recommended fuel for the engine is regular...since my Rio5 runs much better with it, i wanted to try a few tank fulls in the Sorento since most people suggest using premium fuel in turbo engines...in my non-scientific findings, i have noticed reduced fuel consumption, and by a noticeable amount...current tank is mid to high 10s, which is about 2 L/100 kms lower than normal (it's usually in the high 12s, or very low 13s if traffic has been really congested during the week)...a recent road trip, on the 400 series highway at 120 km/hr, returned high 8s as well...again, not a scientific experiment, so take it with a grain of salt, but i am finding improved fuel economy in the last month or so using it...i've decided to continue using it going forward.
(In before this thread is 32 pages of discussions on fuel...)

I have found the same with my Saab. Even if on stock tune (87 gas) putting in 91 gives better power and fuel economy, and it is noticeable. Now this is not true, from personal experience, for NA engines...but forced induction, even if tuned for 87, really benefits from premium gas.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 02:21:36 pm »

So, is the increased fuel economy that you're experiencing worth the increase of price of Premium vs Regular?  In other words, are you saving money by doing this?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2018, 02:41:14 pm »
So, is the increased fuel economy that you're experiencing worth the increase of price of Premium vs Regular?  In other words, are you saving money by doing this?
it's hard to tell...i would realistically need a scientific example to determine the real improvement (assuming there is one), but our routines are fairly consistent, as has been the fuel economy over the last few years, so seeing numbers in the mid 10s is a new thing...assuming a 2L/100km improvement, and a 65L fuel tank (?), that means i can go about 100 kms more on a tank of fuel...assuming fuel economy numbers of 10.5 with premium and 12.5 with regular, over a 65L tank, that would give the following numbers:

Regular (price made up for example):
$1.20/L x 65L = $78 tank of gas
65L / 12.5 FE = 520 km total range
Cost per km = $0.15 per km

Premium
$1.32/L x 65L = $85.80
65L / 10.5 FE = 619 km total range
Cost per km = $0.1386 per km

let me know if my math is wrong (it may be), and keeping in mind, this still isn't a scientific experiment, but as i suspected, the cost difference (assuming you do get improved fuel economy) is likely negligible...in this example, it's actually cheaper to use premium, but i don't want to say this is actually true in case it isn't...my guess is, even if it isn't 100% accurate (it won't be), maybe i break even or the extra cost is minor enough to just use the best gas possible.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2018, 02:54:50 pm »
let me know if my math is wrong (it may be)

I didn't check your math but I find that premium is usually a minimum of 15 cents higher and easily see it 20 cents higher than regular.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 25, 2018, 03:10:26 pm »
let me know if my math is wrong (it may be)

I didn't check your math but I find that premium is usually a minimum of 15 cents higher and easily see it 20 cents higher than regular.
most stations charge a 20c premium over regular...it's 12c (sometimes 13c) at Costco...plus, i get 2% cash back on gas.  :)

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2018, 03:23:49 pm »
yeah, the premium thing is always a tough one... because even if it equated to the same cost out of pocket, you *might* be adding life (or at least, not taking it away) to a turbo engine by giving it "the good stuff".

the trail rated thing from jeep really is a bit ambiguous. at least they don't just put it on every jeep they make... and not just the 4x2 ones are missing it, but any that don't have the lower crawl ratios and selectable 4x4 systems... so a 4x4 Laredo grand Cherokee? nope... the srt in front of me? nope... even so, it is just some marketing... decent marketing though!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2018, 03:31:14 pm »
Thought Corinthian leather would be on this list.  ;D

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2018, 03:54:10 pm »
There's Ford's term for a normal turbocharger........."Ecoboost". Except it's not really eco, because compared to manufacturers' engines, the turbocharged motors from Ford tend to fall much farther short of published fuel consumption figures.  ::)
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #10 on: September 25, 2018, 04:06:27 pm »
There's Ford's term for a normal turbocharger........."Ecoboost". Except it's not really eco, because compared to manufacturers' engines, the turbocharged motors from Ford tend to fall much farther short of published fuel consumption figures.  ::)

Thats because its a sexy good time to get them on boost. If you drove like a grandma, the fuel economy would be great.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: September 25, 2018, 11:34:15 pm »

Thats because its a sexy good time to get them on boost. If you drove like a grandma, the fuel economy would be great.
^^ this.

our Sorento gets great fuel economy if you try...but boost is fun...because race car.  :)

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2018, 04:46:53 am »
I've driven a lot of turbocharged cars (incl. my current Peugeot) but no one else is as far off from the published figures. And I drive pretty sedately too, generally shifting when the car suggests it (around 2250 tr/min) or skip-shifting.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: September 28, 2018, 12:32:42 pm »
All this talk about gas mileage. Premium versus regular.  Might be the ethanol in the regular which is showing the difference.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata