Author Topic: "Cheap" lease deals in Canada...  (Read 4173 times)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +6/-3
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
"Cheap" lease deals in Canada...
« on: September 20, 2018, 01:32:09 pm »
My friend in the UK recently ordered a brand new Volvo V60 T5 Momentum from a private leasing company (Santander).  The deal was nil downpayment and 253 pounds per month (around $430 at current exchange rates) including taxes which seems pretty good for what is a $60,000 car over there (maybe a $50,000 car here).  The leasing company then just phone the order through to his local Volvo dealership and he just picks it up from there.

He works in the automotive engineering industry, so is quite into cars and likes to try different ones, so has "owned" quite a few nice cars (Mercedes, BMW, Audi etc) on these "cheap" short-term lease deals.  Obviously, leasing isn't for everyone and 5000 pounds (around $8000) for 18 months motoring isn't to be sniffed at but if you want to drive a new "premium" car and change it fairly regularly then that may well be less than what the car would depreciate by in that time if you paid cash for it.

I had a look at some deals on cars that I quite like over here to see if there was anything comparable.  You can get a Fiesta ST, Honda Civic Si, "base" Golf GTI or Elantra Sport for a similar payment but over a 48 month lease term (33 months on the Elantra) but they're all $30,000 vehicles not $50,000 vehicles, so not really in the same league.  In many cases, you might as well stretch the term by 2 years and for a similar payment go for standard hire purchase at a slightly lower rate.

So my question really is, are there any "cheap" lease deals such as my friend in the UK got on the Volvo in Canada, do the manufacturers have the monopoly on leasing or are there private leasing companies offering better lease deals?

Just to add, in all fairness, spec-for-spec, we generally pay less in terms of dollar value  for new cars over here than in the UK, although comparable pre-owned vehicles tend to be priced more highly here (in MB at any rate), which can be a little frustrating and they also don't have to pay taxes on pre-owned vehicles.

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
Re: "Cheap" lease deals in Canada...
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2018, 01:59:49 pm »
That really doesn't sound correct to me....you can't run a business by leasing cars at payments less than the depreciation hit.  The leasing company would be upside down major when the keys get handed back!

Is this not what killed the domestic manufacturers like 10 years ago? Trying to offer lease payments like imports, except their product depreciated quicker....

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +256/-775
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2018, 02:13:50 pm »
The keys to a good lease deal:

- High residual
- Low interest rate
- Get a good amount off of MSRP

There are private leasing companies but I doubt you'd get better deals since they wouldn't have the subvented rates that the manufacturers offer.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 Toyota Corolla S, 2013 Honda Civic EX, 2001 Jeep Grand Cherokee, 2004 Chrysler Sebring, 2004 Subaru Impreza WRX Wagon, 2015 Dodge Grand Caravan, 2009 MINI Cooper, 2016 VW Golf TSI Sportwagen
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2018, 02:20:39 pm »
That really doesn't sound correct to me....you can't run a business by leasing cars at payments less than the depreciation hit.  The leasing company would be upside down major when the keys get handed back!

Is this not what killed the domestic manufacturers like 10 years ago? Trying to offer lease payments like imports, except their product depreciated quicker....

I'm guessing that the leasing companies are getting fleet discounts and the manufacturers are willing to take a short-term hit to increase their market share and get some of their newly-launched models out on the road?  The deal is kosher but you can't just walk directly into your local Volvo delaership and get it and it's likely that it will be on limited stock (although he chose the colour he wanted) and only be available for a few weeks/months and you wouldn't be able to get the same deal in 6 months time.  The Audi A4 Wagon that he had on his last 18 month lease was a bit more (275 pounds per month, so around $470) but it was a higher spec model.  Perhaps the dealership takes a hit for a new registration but gets to make its money back down the road when it sells it as a pre-owned vehicle?  He normally doesn't take any extra cost options, as they put the payment up significantly but he has also leased an E-Class and a BMW M240i in a similar way.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2018, 02:33:12 pm »
Why would you even try to compare UK leases to Canada , that is plan crazy , we are in Canada not UK  ::)

And don't compare US prices to Canada either  :P

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2018, 02:34:42 pm »
I'm guessing that the leasing companies are getting fleet discounts and the manufacturers are willing to take a short-term hit to increase their market share and get some of their newly-launched models out on the road?  The deal is kosher but you can't just walk directly into your local Volvo delaership and get it and it's likely that it will be on limited stock (although he chose the colour he wanted) and only be available for a few weeks/months and you wouldn't be able to get the same deal in 6 months time.  The Audi A4 Wagon that he had on his last 18 month lease was a bit more (275 pounds per month, so around $470) but it was a higher spec model.  Perhaps the dealership takes a hit for a new registration but gets to make its money back down the road when it sells it as a pre-owned vehicle?  He normally doesn't take any extra cost options, as they put the payment up significantly but he has also leased an E-Class and a BMW M240i in a similar way.

Are you sure that's how it works? I would assume that the leasing company buys the vehicles from the dealer, leases them, and then when the lease is done the leasing company sells or auctions them off.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 20, 2018, 02:47:19 pm »

Are you sure that's how it works? I would assume that the leasing company buys the vehicles from the dealer, leases them, and then when the lease is done the leasing company sells or auctions them off.

I honestly don't know.  Just speculating about how it could be commercially viable.  Even if the lease companies do own the cars, it might be an option to sell them back to the supplying dealer, as low mileage pre-owned stock would be desirable to them.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 20, 2018, 02:48:42 pm »
Why would you even try to compare UK leases to Canada , that is plan crazy , we are in Canada not UK  ::)

And don't compare US prices to Canada either  :P

I was merely asking why the lease deals here appear to be pretty poor in comparison when on face value the dollar value of equivalent vehicles is usually significantly less here (and more pertinently, are there better lease deals available than those being offered directly from the manufacturer)?  Leasing vehicles is a relatively new thing in the UK I think, whereas it has been around longer here, so I would have expected the market to be more mature and for us to have some better lease deals available.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: September 20, 2018, 03:01:18 pm »
Canadian lease deals can't touch the deals that we sometimes see in the U.S. People down there are driving Hemi Challengers for < $300 a month and whatnot.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: September 20, 2018, 03:11:04 pm »
Canadian lease deals can't touch the deals that we sometimes see in the U.S. People down there are driving Hemi Challengers for < $300 a month and whatnot.

Is that simply because of our "relatively" small population?  That would work for the UK too but traditionally being a RHD market, that has put the UK at a disadvantage in terms of what they pay compared to their European neighbours.

Maybe we'll have the last laugh when the US places tariffs on "American" Canadian-built vehicles...;)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:10 pm »
I think it is mainly the competitiveness of the U.S. market. The manufacturers are aggressive and are willing to inflate residuals and offer big discounts and low interest rates.

They tend to be much more conservative in Canada. Just look at the residual value for a three year 3-series lease and compare it to what they actually sell for. The spread is huge.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: &quot;Cheap&quot; lease deals in Canada...
« Reply #11 on: September 20, 2018, 03:14:12 pm »
Actually...check out some of the lease deals on pick up trucks. Those trucks aren't cheap and lease out decent.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: September 20, 2018, 03:15:35 pm »
Actually...check out some of the lease deals on pick up trucks. Those trucks aren't cheap and lease out decent.

That's true. You can get nicely equipped trucks for ~$500/month, with stickers north of $50k.

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #13 on: September 20, 2018, 03:17:55 pm »
Generally those killer US lease deals require a healthy deposit at signing.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 03:33:10 pm »

I didn't look at trucks actually.  Thanks, I'll take a look!  In the meantime if someone wants to lease me a Volvo V60 or similar for 18 months for $430/month, please message me. ;)

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2018, 03:35:21 pm »
I think it is mainly the competitiveness of the U.S. market. The manufacturers are aggressive and are willing to inflate residuals and offer big discounts and low interest rates.

They tend to be much more conservative in Canada. Just look at the residual value for a three year 3-series lease and compare it to what they actually sell for. The spread is huge.

Toyota and Honda tend to be more cost-effective than Hyundai/Kia and Ford/GM/Chrysler on a lease from what I can see.  I expect that has a lot to do with strong residual values.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2018, 04:54:32 pm »
Subaru leases can be petty good because the residuals were so high. Depends on what interest they decide to use though, and that can vary a lot.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline valuator

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +36/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Pilot TrailSport, 2015 Outback 3.6R, 2012 BMW 128i
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2018, 06:56:02 pm »
Subaru leases can be petty good because the residuals were so high. Depends on what interest they decide to use though, and that can vary a lot.

When promo rates are in effect, you can get a base, manual WRX for about $400 a month all in, for 36 months. I think that’s a great deal.

Offline BritWRX

• Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 21, 2018, 11:41:00 am »

Good call.  You could lease something like this for $500/month over 48 months, which isn't a bad deal...

https://kelleherford.com/view/new-2018-ford-f-150-xlt-222011/

or a smaller truck but higher spec.

https://www.murraychevbrandon.com/new/Chevrolet/2018-Chevrolet-Colorado-b0eb86450a0e0aea444e2d7da6027fb0.htm

Offline ArticSteve

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-6813
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Hobby Car: 15 Mustang Vert, V6, manual, 3.55 lsd; 2024 MDX Aspec; 2022 F150 TREMOR lifted
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2018, 03:32:21 pm »
Good call.  You could lease something like this for $500/month over 48 months, which isn't a bad deal...

It's @ 4.5%/48     Not good.

2% /48    is satisfactory.