Author Topic: NEW CAR SOS  (Read 1845 times)

Offline dc12345

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2
NEW CAR SOS
« on: September 16, 2018, 03:55:40 pm »
If I have purchased a new vehicle from the dealer and signed for financing however; I now want to pay CASH instead is that allowed? No delivery has taken place yet nor is there a VIN as it was a dealer locate.

Bill of sale signed and deposit put down (2000)

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
Re: NEW CAR SOS
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2018, 04:32:38 pm »
If I have purchased a new vehicle from the dealer and signed for financing however; I now want to pay CASH instead is that allowed? No delivery has taken place yet nor is there a VIN as it was a dealer locate.

Bill of sale signed and deposit put down (2000)
I don't see why not.

Just call them and ask.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2018, 05:31:25 pm »
Almost all new car loans through dealers allow you to pay off the loan early, so even if you financed it through the dealer and a week later won the lotto, you could pay off the loan without any penalty.

Offline dc12345

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2018, 05:36:44 pm »
Almost all new car loans through dealers allow you to pay off the loan early, so even if you financed it through the dealer and a week later won the lotto, you could pay off the loan without any penalty.
Yes but the dealer/bank financing offer charges the interest upfront - want to avoid that.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2018, 06:27:31 pm »
Yes but the dealer/bank financing offer charges the interest upfront - want to avoid that.
How can they charge you interest that you haven't "used"?

For example, if you pay it out after one month, you get charged one month of interest... you shouldn't get charged 5 years of interest...or whatever the full term is.

Offline dc12345

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2018, 06:59:42 pm »

For example, if you pay it out after one month, you get charged one month of interest... you shouldn't get charged 5 years of interest...or whatever the full term is.

i agree with that 100% but the bill of sale reflects the interest charge for the term under the financing section. Regardless I am not taking the financing and will not pay interest on something i have not used (as you mentioned). Just figured I would throw this out there because some dealerships give deals based on the fact your are taking the financing.

Offline sailor723

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +417/-1000
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '17 BMW X5 Xdrive35i, '11 BMW 328iXdrive,
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2018, 08:19:28 pm »

i agree with that 100% but the bill of sale reflects the interest charge for the term under the financing section. Regardless I am not taking the financing and will not pay interest on something i have not used (as you mentioned). Just figured I would throw this out there because some dealerships give deals based on the fact your are taking the financing.

I think what you are seeing is them disclosing what the cost of financing will be over the term of the loan.
Old Jag convertible...one itch I won't have to scratch again.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2018, 08:36:46 pm »
^^^^ This.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2018, 12:16:27 am »
They have to disclose how much interest you are paying over the term of the loan if you were paying it out to the term. If you pay it off sooner, you pay less interest. Simple.

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2018, 12:51:51 pm »
switching between financing/cash is no big deal with the caveat that there is no additional discount for a finance deal. shouldn't be a problem, just call in to let them know. you will likely have a few bucks less due to no PPSA charge to register the lien.

as for paying off early, go right ahead. no car loans are "front loaded" or whatever. interest is calculated normally, based on the principal amount, so it seems like more interest at the beginning of the loan, but it is just the math of it.

if you are paying it off early, no big deal.. do it however/whenever you like, but as a courtesy, if you can wait a few months, the dealer would appreciate it. the reserve (like 100-200 bucks) that the dealership makes for sending the bank the business gets charged back if it's paid off too soon. don't let that sway you one way or another as it's not your problem, but if you happen to be looking at paying it off in 2 and a half months... maybe just give it another week or two if you don't mind.
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now