Author Topic: Used Vehicle Review: Acura MDX, 2014-2018  (Read 3394 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Used Vehicle Review: Acura MDX, 2014-2018
« on: September 13, 2018, 08:25:48 am »
Solid choice.
Read more...

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
Re: Used Vehicle Review: Acura MDX, 2014-2018
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:17:15 pm »
What an awful list of issues for such a new vehicle!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:19:08 pm »
So with the whole direct injection thing, would a few trips to redline a few times a week prevent the carbon buildup??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:27:08 pm »
I don't think so. With DI there is no fuel washing the back of the valves. Carbon buildup on the business side of the valves? I don't think that has been much of an issue since the advent of fuel injection. On my Land Rover (DI) I have shortened oil change intervals to 6-8k kms since I don't want dirty oil on the EGR coating the back side of the valves. So far so good.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:35:32 pm »

We must have read a different article.  An alignment is an easy fix and the warped brakes could be user related.  Granted the 9 spd transmission seems suspect but that's avoided by buying an older model. 

All DI motors are plagued by carbon issues, so Acura is not alone there.  I've read using top tier gas can help minimize the buildup, not sure if that's true.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:13:22 pm »
These really do seem like great rigs to buy used: most of the advantages of a Lexus RX350, but with lower resale value and greater driver engagement (for a midsize CUV at any rate).

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 04:17:32 pm »
These really do seem like great rigs to buy used: most of the advantages of a Lexus RX350, but with lower resale value and greater driver engagement (for a midsize CUV at any rate).
I did not  find  the drivers seating area that comfortable, I went with the RX

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2018, 05:19:00 pm »
The only solution to DI carbon build up is a service to have it removed.  There's no driving technique, etc that helps.  It's just a fact of not having fuel flow over the intake valves.  Modern fuels have amazing cleaning additives that are mostly wasted on DI engines.

If you don't want to have to deal with services required for DI engines, buy a non DI engine or a D4S engine from Toyota.  Even over at Toyota, the 2.5L six has "normal" DI (one of the few Toyota engines to have it) and it requires periodic carbon servicing.

I'd for sure try to avoid buying anything with the ZF 9-speed.

I prefer the RX to the MDX, but that's just a personal preference based on driving position, visibility, and individual things like that.  The Acura is a solid product and a good choice.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2018, 05:36:27 pm »
I did not  find  the drivers seating area that comfortable, I went with the RX

Ahh I see. That would be a key factor for me as well.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2018, 05:41:06 pm »
The only solution to DI carbon build up is a service to have it removed.  There's no driving technique, etc that helps.  It's just a fact of not having fuel flow over the intake valves.  Modern fuels have amazing cleaning additives that are mostly wasted on DI engines.

If you don't want to have to deal with services required for DI engines, buy a non DI engine or a D4S engine from Toyota.  Even over at Toyota, the 2.5L six has "normal" DI (one of the few Toyota engines to have it) and it requires periodic carbon servicing.

I prefer the RX to the MDX, but that's just a personal preference based on driving position, visibility, and individual things like that.  The Acura is a solid product and a good choice.

So DI was another one of those "improvements" thats caused way more problems than it solved....gotch.

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2018, 05:47:32 pm »
DI and timing belts - no thanks.
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2018, 06:10:51 pm »
All DI motors are plagued by carbon issues, so Acura is not alone there.  I've read using top tier gas can help minimize the buildup, not sure if that's true.
i think using quality fuels and doing regular maintenance should go a long way...you shouldn't be getting any crap on the back side of the valves anyways.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2018, 06:13:57 pm »
i think using quality fuels and doing regular maintenance should go a long way...you shouldn't be getting any crap on the back side of the valves anyways.

What about EGR?

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2018, 06:32:27 pm »

What about EGR?
not every vehicle uses an EGR (the FCA Pentastar V6 for example)...also, if you are using the proper oil and top tier fuel, you're likely reducing the chance of having crap in the first place...Justin Pritchard wrote an article on it a couple of years ago:

http://thechronicleherald.ca/wheelsnews/1366531-dirty-valves-and-direct-injection

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: September 13, 2018, 07:09:01 pm »

We must have read a different article.  An alignment is an easy fix and the warped brakes could be user related.  Granted the 9 spd transmission seems suspect but that's avoided by buying an older model. 

We read exactly the same article - a 4y old vehicle should have a list of very minor issues, not things like carbon issues, 9 speed woes, etc....

If we were talking 8-10y, I’d praise this as super reliable.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #15 on: September 13, 2018, 07:14:10 pm »
The worry with any Honda is the transmission.  They just had some on-again/off-again issues and I'd do my homework on specific models/years very carefully before buying a used Honda.  Get one with a solid trans, and you're getting a good used machine.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 13, 2018, 07:15:00 pm »

So DI was another one of those "improvements" thats caused way more problems than it solved....gotch.

Just WRT direct injection: no expert but FWIW this was explained to me once by a Toyota / Lexus mechanic friend (i was looking at IS 250's and 350's at the time): the IS 250's 2.5L V6 motor is DI and no good because of carbon buildup issues. The 350's motor is DI as well, but way better, because it also had additional port fuel injection, which prevented carbon buildup.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 13, 2018, 07:23:19 pm »
the IS 250's 2.5L V6 motor is DI and no good because of carbon buildup issues. The 350's motor is DI as well, but way better, because it also had additional port fuel injection, which prevented carbon buildup.

The 3.5L V-6 comes in several configurations.  The AWD/RWD version as used in the IS350 uses Toyota's superb D4S injection system which uses both port and direct injection.  Port injection is better for certain rpm ranges and for engine cleaning, DI is better for some higher rpm zones, so Toyota builds a system that uses both.  You literally get the best of both systems.

D4S has been around for a while now and is proven.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 13, 2018, 07:28:55 pm »
the IS 250's 2.5L V6 motor is DI and no good because of carbon buildup issues. The 350's motor is DI as well, but way better, because it also had additional port fuel injection, which prevented carbon buildup.

The 3.5L V-6 comes in several configurations.  The AWD/RWD version as used in the IS350 uses Toyota's superb D4S injection system which uses both port and direct injection.  Port injection is better for certain rpm ranges and for engine cleaning, DI is better for some higher rpm zones, so Toyota builds a system that uses both.  You literally get the best of both systems.

D4S has been around for a while now and is proven.

Ahh gotcha. Yeah, that sounds like what he told me as well. Do any other mfr's use a version of this D4S technology? Seems everyone has had problems with carbon buildup except Toyota and that motor.

Offline bridgecity

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +126/-182
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2014 MDX; 2007 Tundra
« Reply #19 on: September 13, 2018, 07:34:54 pm »
We've had our '14 since the spring of 16, so 2.5 yrs.  We had a couple of issues sorted shortly after buying including:

- clunky rear suspension; there's a TSB for it so it was updated.  Big improvement with the new parts.
- steering would make weird sound when backing out of driveway, turning wheel, and shifting into drive.  It was hard to duplicate but fixed with a reprogram.
- finish on passenger side door handles was failing/flaking/corroding.  Replaced under warranty.  Dealer said they had a bad batch of them, but only affected passenger side.  Weird.

Its been solid since those initial items.  My experience with Honda is that the above items would be addressed in later years.  The wife loves the thing and to be honest I really like it.  Great V6, awesome AWD.  Infotainment sucks compared to new cars but no biggie for me.  My phone links fine so its all good  ;D. We consistently get in the 8's (l/100km) cruising at 120 on the highway.  We've done several extended highway trips and I find the seats great.  mmret hates his so there's that, ha ha.

That said, I really like the look of the future Lincoln Aviator.  Will be on the list when its time to update the Acura, but no plans to sell anytime soon.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 07:37:22 pm by bridgecity »
Quality is never an accident; it is always the result of high intention, sincere effort, intelligent direction, and skillful execution; it represents the wise choice of many alternatives.