Author Topic: Save Fuel and Money with Cruise Control  (Read 6372 times)

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
Re: Save Fuel and Money with Cruise Control
« Reply #40 on: September 10, 2018, 01:45:04 pm »
So yield all around. I'd think that depending on which street is more heavily trafficked and what the configuration of the intersection is, it makes more sense to have flashing reds in some places.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: September 10, 2018, 01:48:27 pm »
So yield all around. I'd think that depending on which street is more heavily trafficked and what the configuration of the intersection is, it makes more sense to have flashing reds in some places.
Probably.

But I'm guessing most people could navigate yield all around pretty easily...especially if it's been that way forever.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline UnknownJinX

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +22/-115
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 19 Camaro 2SS 1LE 6MT, 15 Corvette Z51 7MT(flooded), 09 Mazda RX-8 GT 6MT(sold)
« Reply #42 on: September 10, 2018, 02:01:53 pm »

[The new Corolla hatchback for one, although only at more than 40 km/h. The one that the CVT model gets can completely stop the vehicle if needed.

Well, that's annoying. My Accord has the same limitation for the CC as well.

One thing I love about my RX-8 is that the CC can work as low as 30 km/h. Makes it extremely easy in school/construction/playground zones. Just set the CC at 30 km/h and all I have to do is cover the brake.

Only the manual transmission equipped Corollas get that restriction. I think it more has to do with the fact that if one is in cruise control in 6th gear and traffic is slowing down to under 40km/h, the RPMs get extremely low at that point. You can probably set the cruise control below that point but the laser dynamic cruise control portion is inactive at that point. The CVT equipped Corollas can come to a complete stop if required.

Makes sense for ACC(Active Cruise Control), but a lot of cars still have that restriction for normal CC, like my old Accord.

In fact, wouldn't it be easier on a manual? All the car has to do is fix the throttle plate on flat ground, and the transmission isn't really a variable for the ECU. Most MT cars will also disable the CC when you press the clutch.

Many of them are RIDICULOUSLY low, designed to catch speeders.  60 on divided freeway style roads?  Yup, we have that.

So Marine Drive in Vancouver. Gotcha.

In all seriousness, it's really amazing how many drivers anywhere think they can roll through a stop sign. These same drivers hypocritically complain that cyclists are terrible because they run stop signs.

It really depends on the stop sign though. There's one on my road I roll through all the time. I turn right at it, and traffic from the left is nonexistent. I know what I'm doing isn't right per se but I'm still careful about it.

Yeah, some of them are just ridiculous and should really be replaced with Yield signs.

I'm a stickler for the complete stop where it's warranted, but it's my little act of civil disobedience to roll through when it's not.  :)

Agreed. There are Stop signs around me but you can see the oncoming traffic easily beforehand, so I just treat it like Yield.

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #43 on: September 10, 2018, 02:36:55 pm »
In all seriousness, it's really amazing how many drivers anywhere think they can roll through a stop sign. These same drivers hypocritically complain that cyclists are terrible because they run stop signs.

It really depends on the stop sign though. There's one on my road I roll through all the time. I turn right at it, and traffic from the left is nonexistent. I know what I'm doing isn't right per se but I'm still careful about it.

Yeah, some of them are just ridiculous and should really be replaced with Yield signs.

I'm a stickler for the complete stop where it's warranted, but it's my little act of civil disobedience to roll through when it's not.  :)
The answer is almost always roundabout........ ;) And otherwise "priority to the right" with no signs whatsoever.

I find that roads in North America are overbuilt for the speeds signalised. If they want people to slow down, don't make the road 4 lanes wide........put a median, narrow the road, place a speed table. Otherwise it's really a money trap, at which point I wonder why most automakers don't bother with the driver-set Speed Limiter function that's on every car here in Europe. I use it a bunch especially in 90 zones on the autoroute and 50 urban zones and find it helpful.
ø cons: Peugeot 308: Yamaha R3 [/URL]

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: September 10, 2018, 02:43:46 pm »
I dislike roundabouts...unless they are empty and I'm on a supermoto.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #45 on: September 10, 2018, 02:45:01 pm »

Too many numpties around here have no idea how to navigate the few that we have. If they made more and on higher speed routes it would turn into a meat grinder, no thank you.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: September 10, 2018, 02:48:52 pm »

Too many numpties around here have no idea how to navigate the few that we have. If they made more and on higher speed routes it would turn into a meat grinder, no thank you.
Everyone here seems to know how to use them...mostly.

Still meh.

Offline OliverD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +255/-773
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 BMW 328i Touring, 1998 Jaguar XJR, 2024 Mini Cooper S
« Reply #47 on: September 10, 2018, 02:50:24 pm »
Why meh? They're safer and much more efficient than traffic signals.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 10, 2018, 03:00:26 pm »
I think it "depends".

There's one here right off/before the 401. So lots of trucks. By necessity, they have to go SLOW around (we have tip overs here now and again) and take up lots of space. So it's just a slow, crawling roundabout. When busy, I'm certain they're no faster than a light at this location.

Meh.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2018, 03:04:57 pm by rrocket »

Offline mlin32

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +65/-419
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Peugeot 308 GT; 2015 Yamaha YZF-R3
« Reply #49 on: September 10, 2018, 03:02:04 pm »
and stop signs ! People blow thru stop signs and cause accidents, but it's not so easy to blow thru a roundabout. And there's no obligation to stop if there's no traffic, whereas a cop might perch and check that every person stops, even if the road is completely traffic-free.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #50 on: September 10, 2018, 03:23:17 pm »
Makes sense for ACC(Active Cruise Control), but a lot of cars still have that restriction for normal CC, like my old Accord.

In fact, wouldn't it be easier on a manual? All the car has to do is fix the throttle plate on flat ground, and the transmission isn't really a variable for the ECU. Most MT cars will also disable the CC when you press the clutch.

Well I was talking about ACC originally.  :)

I think they were scared of random stalls if someone with ACC on wasn't paying attention to the speed of their vehicle.

So Marine Drive in Vancouver. Gotcha.

Everyone goes 70+ on Marine Drive anyway. I remember taking Marine Drive from the airport to Surrey as there were no other 49cc scooter friendly routes and I felt like a sitting duck doing 55-60 iin a 50 zone. Blatant disregard for speed limits in Vancouver.