Author Topic: Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner  (Read 2272 times)

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner
« on: August 28, 2018, 09:17:09 pm »
Okay, so I got tired of looking at a blank thread, so here’s my review of a product that I’ve been using for almost 20 years:  Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner.
Back then, I first bought SG to clean the engine and engine compartment.  On a cool engine, liberally spray SG all over the engine and compartment and then hose off with a garden hose with no scrubbing and it will come out 95% clean unless it is really grimy.  Then I blow dry with my leaf blower and let it sit for a couple hours for complete drying.  I do this once a year and in the 20 years of use, I’ve never had any issue with this cleaning process screwing up any electronic or mechanical components even though I take no precaution to cover up electronics etc. (and I keep my cars a minimum of 10 years). YMMV.

On cars I’ve used SG to also clean tires rims, black plastic cladding, upholstery, carpets, rubber mats, interior plastics etc and it leaves a fresh smell.  It’s also great for taking bugs off.

Around the house I’ve used SG to clean floors, bathroom fans and grills, appliances, BBQ, venetian blinds, bikes and degreasing oil spills on the driveway.

I usually buy the 3.78 liter jug and a jug lasts me around 3 years.  It’s available at Canadian Tire for $17.99 and I’m sure it’s available elsewhere.  SG also comes in different variants for pressure washers for cleaning wood, siding, heavy duty, pro heavy duty, concrete cleaner, carpet cleaner, tub and tile, glass etc.  I’ve used only the All Purpose.  I always have on hand a spray bottle with full strength SG and another spray bottle with diluted SG for spot cleaning.

At the company that I used to work, SG was used to clean out some of the equipment used to produce solid rocket propellant.
SG is strong degreaser so it will dry out your skin.  If SG doesn’t do the job I switch to Castrol Super Clean but it is much more corrosive.

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
Re: Simple Green All Purpose Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2018, 11:11:32 pm »
I use Simple Green around the house for lots of stuff, but I quit using it on the car or anything metal. It is corrosive, especially to aluminum. Not a huge concern if you can rinse it off thoroughly, but that's not always possible or convenient.

They do make one that's not corrosive, so I switched to that. It's purple, not green, and seems to work just as well.

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2018, 11:16:34 am »
That Castrol stuff is awesome on a super greasy engine.  Just don't let it sit too terribly long.  I soak it down...keeping it wet, give it maybe 30 seconds (it's working while I'm spraying too) and then hose it off.  Works better than SG, but as noted, much more corrosive.  Used it the other day to clean the bugs off the front of the Sonic (because who cares).  Sprayed, took my wash rag, wiped off like Jello on the counter, rinsed.  Shiny and clean like new. 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2121
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2018, 12:25:55 pm »
That Castrol stuff is awesome on a super greasy engine.  Just don't let it sit too terribly long.  I soak it down...keeping it wet, give it maybe 30 seconds (it's working while I'm spraying too) and then hose it off.  Works better than SG, but as noted, much more corrosive.  Used it the other day to clean the bugs off the front of the Sonic (because who cares).  Sprayed, took my wash rag, wiped off like Jello on the counter, rinsed.  Shiny and clean like new.

Castrol super clean is my go to. Works great and I have yet to have it damage anything including chrome, rubber, or plastics.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline Golly

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-10
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 05 Miata, 16 Malibu Premier, 19 Buick Enclave Avenir
« Reply #4 on: August 31, 2018, 12:10:47 am »
I use Simple Green around the house for lots of stuff, but I quit using it on the car or anything metal. It is corrosive, especially to aluminum. Not a huge concern if you can rinse it off thoroughly, but that's not always possible or convenient.

They do make one that's not corrosive, so I switched to that. It's purple, not green, and seems to work just as well.

I always promptly and thoroughly rinse off SG All Purpose and in nearly 20 years of use have never seen any corrosion due to SG.  SG All Purpose has been used for over 20 years to wash aircraft.  SG recommends that it is not left on for more than 10 minutes and to rinse thoroughly.

But thanks for the tip about the purple stuff; when my current jug runs out, I'll consider buying the purple stuff.   
« Last Edit: August 31, 2018, 12:28:23 am by Golly »