Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Subaru Ascent  (Read 2321 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Test Drive: 2019 Subaru Ascent
« on: August 21, 2018, 09:04:14 am »
Spacious, efficient, comfortable, and un-quirky.
Read more...

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Subaru Ascent
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2018, 09:19:53 am »
"the Ascent is an incredibly boring vehicle. It’s another seven-seat crossover in a segment bursting with good options, and it blends right in with the competition looking like a Honda Pilot clone with Mazda CX-9 power and Toyota interior"

Nuff said  ;D They accomplished their mission from quirky obscurity to  "beige" - remember that ad campaign??

...and it already has been recalled due to not being welded right...not good

Honestly, in this segment I would get the most boringly reliable bus I could get, probably the Toyota, and be done with it. Interesting, exciting, etc. are not what you look for here. You want capable, boring, reliable all day long...leave the drama for the sports car.
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2018, 09:29:39 am »
You seem to have forgotten about this thread:  https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=101082.0
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2018, 09:33:57 am »
You seem to have forgotten about this thread:  https://www.autos.ca/forum/index.php?topic=101082.0
Thank you for the suggestion, but I am not complaining here. Boring is good. You want to forget what you are driving in this segment, you want your attention on your kids, cargo, etc. rather than worrying about reliability of your vehicles etc.

If I was buying, I would get the Toyota Highlander, forget what I was driving, and not have to worry about driving, maintenance, or anything car related so I can concentrate on my family and other factors in my life. One less thing to think or worry about in my day. Would be refreshing, honestly.

Offline whaddaiknow

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +185/-4812
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2018, 09:34:13 am »
Sounds like a poorly written commercial targeted at people who never owned a Subaru.
It's going to be an uphill battle for the Ascent.

"It is largely devoid of any distinctive Subaru character, as the sheer size overwhelms the lower centre of gravity and balance bestowed by the boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive. Sound deadening and a well-tuned CVT keep engine noise from infiltrating the cabin"

Why would Subaru loyalists opt for the Ascent that is largely devoid of any distinctive Subaru character?
What is the "balance bestowed by the boxer engine"? I've heard of that before but that boxer engine is not balanced, it vibrates and jerks worse than my dad's '77 Lada.

The CVT whine is quite pronounced in all Subaru's and I don't expect this to be any better

The engine is low-tech if, with 2.4L of displacement, it generates only 8 extra HP and 4 lb-ft of torque at significantly higher RPM than Honda's or Audi's 2.0T. That higher RPM will translate to much unwelcome noise in the cabin when the car is loaded.

The infotainment in a brand new vehicle is a "generation behind".

Give me one good reason other than Apple carplay and Android Auto why anyone would choose this over TTT Highlander or Pilot powered by well proven bullet-proof NA powerplants.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2018, 10:11:39 am »
The 3rd row does appear to be more spacious than the Highlander and Pilot. But yea their turbocharged boxer engine just doesn't have a good track record. Why they're so insistent on the boxer engine design is beyond me.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2018, 10:48:20 am »
Sounds like a poorly written commercial targeted at people who never owned a Subaru.
It's going to be an uphill battle for the Ascent.

"It is largely devoid of any distinctive Subaru character, as the sheer size overwhelms the lower centre of gravity and balance bestowed by the boxer engine and symmetrical all-wheel drive. Sound deadening and a well-tuned CVT keep engine noise from infiltrating the cabin"

Why would Subaru loyalists opt for the Ascent that is largely devoid of any distinctive Subaru character?
What is the "balance bestowed by the boxer engine"? I've heard of that before but that boxer engine is not balanced, it vibrates and jerks worse than my dad's '77 Lada.

The CVT whine is quite pronounced in all Subaru's and I don't expect this to be any better

The engine is low-tech if, with 2.4L of displacement, it generates only 8 extra HP and 4 lb-ft of torque at significantly higher RPM than Honda's or Audi's 2.0T. That higher RPM will translate to much unwelcome noise in the cabin when the car is loaded.

The infotainment in a brand new vehicle is a "generation behind".

Give me one good reason other than Apple carplay and Android Auto why anyone would choose this over TTT Highlander or Pilot powered by well proven bullet-proof NA powerplants.

Yes to everything you said. This is another CUV blob that brings nothing new to the table.....bring the AWD of the STI into this and put in a non snowmobile transmission, then you will have my attention. Otherwise, kinda really hard to pass by the Highlander or Pilot.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +16/-13
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2018, 02:16:00 pm »
The 3rd row does appear to be more spacious than the Highlander and Pilot. But yea their turbocharged boxer engine just doesn't have a good track record. Why they're so insistent on the boxer engine design is beyond me.
Porsche seems to do ok with their boxer, so I don't think Subaru's issues are because they chose the wrong design.
In fact, this appears to be a bored version of the BRZ Engine, and I'm not aware of a reliability issue with those.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2018, 02:21:07 pm »
Porsche seems to do ok with their boxer, so I don't think Subaru's issues are because they chose the wrong design.
In fact, this appears to be a bored version of the BRZ Engine, and I'm not aware of a reliability issue with those.

Toyota may have had some say in the design of the BRZ engine. Wasn't aware this was a bored version of that engine so it gives me a little bit of hope it might be a decent engine.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2018, 02:54:04 pm »

I don't think Porsche put a boxer engine in any of their SUVs though.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2018, 05:24:50 pm »
Fuelly is showing 15 l/100 or 19 mpg. Well below and owners that are seeing 19 l/100 or 15 mpg have returned to the dealership to complain.

The 360° view camera at US$46K is a big miss.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2018, 05:27:16 pm »
Fuelly is showing 15 l/100 or 19 mpg. Well below and owners that are seeing 19 l/100 or 15 mpg have returned to the dealership to complain.

The 360° view camera at US$46K is a big miss.

Plus it wont appreciate in value like a Buick

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2018, 05:53:18 pm »

Showing the full picture from the 16 cars with an avg of 19.7 mpg on Fuelly.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2018, 11:00:12 pm »

Showing the full picture from the 16 cars with an avg of 19.7 mpg on Fuelly.

Shhhh!! I’d be totally the guy doing 14 on these - better off with a truck at that point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2018, 11:05:58 am »

I don't think Porsche put a boxer engine in any of their SUVs though.
Ok, but in terms of head gasket leaks due to poor design, the engine is the engine.

Offline RoadRageous

• Learner's Permit
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2018, 11:10:35 am »

Toyota may have had some say in the design of the BRZ engine. Wasn't aware this was a bored version of that engine so it gives me a little bit of hope it might be a decent engine.

I Read the the Ascent engine is an FA24 whereas the BRZ is FA20. Could the BRZ use a 2.4l turbo ?  Re-birth of the easy performance upgrade via engine swap  :skid: