Author Topic: Demystifying Windshield Repair  (Read 3249 times)

Offline AutoTrader.ca

• Administrator
  • Carma: +14/-17
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car
Demystifying Windshield Repair
« on: August 16, 2018, 09:55:53 am »
When to repair and when to replace.
Read more...

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
Re: Demystifying Windshield Repair
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2018, 01:02:21 pm »
No mystery here in AB. I replace when I absolutely can't see out of it.  The strength thing? I believe that is overblown. The Ridgeline's windshield took a direct hit from a female mallard (could have been a pintail) at about 130km/h. Despite 3 round bullseyes with some radiation the windshield did not crack further. Perhaps ducks are just soft, dunno. Glad it didn't impact the grill.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2018, 01:05:44 pm »
Usually pitting will cause me to get a new windshield more than bullseyes as its harder to see when the sun hits it. We replace windshields here so often that the best deal is the most important part.
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2018, 01:12:18 pm »
Careful chasing too good of a deal. I have had some bad experiences at the in and out real cheap places (cal-auto). These seems to hire the transient mouth breathers to do installs and the  jobs seem rushed. Wind/water leaks afterwards. Now I spend $20 more and make sure to is done by a career technician.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 16, 2018, 01:13:23 pm »
Careful chasing too good of a deal. I have had some bad experiences at the in and out real cheap places (cal-auto). These seems to hire the transient mouth breathers to do installs and the  jobs seem rushed. Wind/water leaks afterwards. Now I spend $20 more and make sure to is done by a career technician.

We've used crackmasters and glassmasters, not an issue to speak of.

Offline PJungnitsch

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-337
    • View Profile
    • Travel in Africa
  • Cars: Subaru Crosstrek, Lexus RX350, Evolve Carbon, Biktrix Juggernaut, Yamaha TW200
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2018, 01:20:10 pm »
Hopefully these new safety sensors don't end up making windshield repairs too costly or difficult. Would be interesting to have a comparison of systems

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2018, 01:29:57 pm »
That is a good point. Now a windshield replacement will require a reflash and sensor recalibration at the dealer. Progress.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2018, 01:33:52 pm »
That is a good point. Now a windshield replacement will require a reflash and sensor recalibration at the dealer. Progress.

Crikey....I shudder how much a windscreen would be at the dealer, especially since the official jeep ones have little pics of a Willys jeep on them in the corners  ::) ::)

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2018, 01:37:48 pm »
We will see I guess. The Land Rover glass is already close to $1000 for decent OEM (better than OE but not the $250 special) but that is because of the electrical heat components. 

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #9 on: August 16, 2018, 02:26:01 pm »
I tend to stay away from the large chain glass shops.  I find them too much like the Jiffy Lube places.  There's a small family business with two locations in Edmonton, Brite-View, and I've been using them for a long time with great results.  They have good pricing and they do excellent install work.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #10 on: August 16, 2018, 03:05:23 pm »

Crikey....I shudder how much a windscreen would be at the dealer, especially since the official jeep ones have little pics of a Willys jeep on them in the corners  ::) ::)
my Rio5 needed a new windshield about 3 months after i bought it (rock from a passing truck hit it)...$1200 plus taxes...now that my car is older now, i'm sure places like Speedy (etc) can get aftermarket glass that is much less expensive...at the time, the glass was ONLY available from Kia...some of the shops said this was usually typical of new models, but levels off after a couple of years.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 16, 2018, 06:10:14 pm »
The last time I had a windshield replaced on my Explorer, they had to break the clips that hold the two side pieces of trim, which apparently is pretty much standard, according to on line glass replacement forums, and told me you can’t buy replacement clips, so they used windshield sealant to stick them back on. 

Three months later, They both came off at 130 km/h and smashed on the highway.  I bought replacements myself from the dealer, where I found the clips were $10 per set.  The trim, of course, was $200 each.

I’m never using speedy glass again.

Fuktards.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #12 on: August 16, 2018, 06:13:59 pm »
We've used crackmasters

Have you, now?   :-X  ;D

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2018, 06:14:34 pm »
The last time I had a windshield replaced on my Explorer, they had to break the clips that hold the two side pieces of trim, which apparently is pretty much standard, according to on line glass replacement forums, and told me you can’t buy replacement clips, so they used windshield sealant to stick them back on. 

Three months later, They both came off at 130 km/h and smashed on the highway.  I bought replacements myself from the dealer, where I found the clips were $10 per set.  The trim, of course, was $200 each.

Fuktards.

That's crazy!  What a bunch of morons.   >:(

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2018, 06:15:26 pm »

Offline Brig

• Brig
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2018, 06:27:59 pm »
 ;D  :rofl2:

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2018, 07:08:17 pm »

Fuktards.

That's crazy!  What a bunch of morons.   >:(

Are there A pillar covers (garnishes in Land Rover speak) on the Explorer? Every time I do glass in a Landrover I buy the new clips and give them to the installers. If they try to re use the trim flies off at highway speed. The manual states they are one time use only. but shops still try..

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2018, 07:15:07 pm »
Guy from NY City moves to the deep rural south.  He's just finished moving in and there's a knock on the door.

"Howdy new neighbour, welcome to the area!"  And hands him a bottle of what appears to be moonshine.

The guy from NYC is happy to be welcomed so warmly.  The welcoming guy continues...

"We're going to have a welcome to the neighbourhood party for you on Friday, over at my place.  It's going to be fantastic!  There's going to be drinking and fighting and f*cking."

The NYC fellow is a little thrown off by this.

"Uh, well, I'm not sure what I should wear to a party like that."

"Well, shucks, no worries about that, it's just going to be you and me..."

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2018, 10:36:36 pm »
No mystery here in AB. I replace when I absolutely can't see out of it.  The strength thing? I believe that is overblown. The Ridgeline's windshield took a direct hit from a female mallard (could have been a pintail) at about 130km/h. Despite 3 round bullseyes with some radiation the windshield did not crack further. Perhaps ducks are just soft, dunno. Glad it didn't impact the grill.

I think the strength thing comes into play in a rollover, not in a bird strike. The windshield provides structural support to the roof, preventing it from crushing inwards, and a cracked windshield supposedly won’t provide the same support.

Could be just a ploy to sell windshields, but I assume it’s been tested and is an actual thing. Regardless, I’ve had a giant crack in the Yukon’s windshield for at least 3-4 years now. Keep meaning to replace it in the spring, but I never get around to it. It’s well below my line of sight, so I can live with it.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #19 on: August 17, 2018, 06:42:01 pm »
I think the strength thing comes into play in a rollover, not in a bird strike. The windshield provides structural support to the roof, preventing it from crushing inwards, and a cracked windshield supposedly won’t provide the same support.
^^ this.

and yes, birds are soft.