Author Topic: Track Test: 2018 Acura NSX  (Read 6276 times)

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
Re: Track Test: 2018 Acura NSX
« Reply #20 on: August 09, 2018, 03:59:00 pm »
I remember when it won R&T performance car of the year. And they said the opposite of what's being said here..fun, engaging, etc.

And one of the reviewers was Baruth...who's pretty damn critical in a 918 vs NSX comparo in the foothills of Ohio. Same....loved it.

It seems like all you need is one dingus with an axe to grind to say it's not "engaging" or similar and it gets the label...much like what happened to the GT-R.

"For the first time in a hybrid automobile of any price or capability, technology has been placed firmly in the service of emotional involvement rather than in place of it. The hardware, of course, is first-rate and duly compliant with all possible requirements for environmental and social relevance, but the genius of the NSX is entirely human in nature. It was tireless development by human beings that made this very complicated and capable supercar dive for the apex with joy and bully its way to the corner exit with unfettered exuberance. Everything about the car—from the way in which the brake-by-wire pedal lengthens its travel when the brakes are hot to the manner in which the midmounted V6 permits itself a bit of the ol' barbaric yawp when it's winding out in fourth gear—is intended to enhance the driver's involvement.

Able to compete on level ground with the absolute cream of the conventional crop, the NSX also represents a brilliant basis for the ongoing development–indeed, the ongoing existence–of the performance automobile. To drive it for 10 laps on track is to permanently shed any worries that the next generation of supercars will be overpowered takes on a Prius; to experience it on a fast road is to be reassured that tomorrow's technology will be accessible and enjoyable. For that achievement alone, the NSX deserves to be our PCOTY, but the fact that it does it all so well, right now, places it beyond argument. The NSX works, but it also knows how to play. Confident and capable, thrilling on both road and track, the Acura NSX is our 2017 Performance Car of the Year."
and for buyers, afaik,  its looks and soundtrack completely ruin any driving enjoyment that may have been imputed into its software

there is a reason I guess that the 911 is the one lusted after by so many - it has it all...and Lambos and Ferraris, despite all their imperfections, are the objects of desire and adorn wallpapers and man-cave walls
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: August 09, 2018, 04:02:22 pm »
Chris Harris also liked it and thought it was a great drivers car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHHRyeX-M0
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: August 09, 2018, 04:04:57 pm »
Chris Harris also liked it and thought it was a great drivers car.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DcHHRyeX-M0
as did Matt Farah

still, have no desire to even drive one myself...

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 09, 2018, 04:09:29 pm »
This criticism made me think of this:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 09, 2018, 04:11:58 pm »
when you are dreaming on the internet, and all you are talking about is hopes and dreams...might as well live a little

and that guy is just misunderstood....hehe

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #25 on: August 14, 2018, 02:18:06 pm »
I remember when it won R&T performance car of the year. And they said the opposite of what's being said here..fun, engaging, etc.

And one of the reviewers was Baruth...who's pretty damn critical in a 918 vs NSX comparo in the foothills of Ohio. Same....loved it.

It seems like all you need is one dingus with an axe to grind to say it's not "engaging" or similar and it gets the label...much like what happened to the GT-R.

"For the first time in a hybrid automobile of any price or capability, technology has been placed firmly in the service of emotional involvement rather than in place of it. The hardware, of course, is first-rate and duly compliant with all possible requirements for environmental and social relevance, but the genius of the NSX is entirely human in nature. It was tireless development by human beings that made this very complicated and capable supercar dive for the apex with joy and bully its way to the corner exit with unfettered exuberance. Everything about the car—from the way in which the brake-by-wire pedal lengthens its travel when the brakes are hot to the manner in which the midmounted V6 permits itself a bit of the ol' barbaric yawp when it's winding out in fourth gear—is intended to enhance the driver's involvement.

Able to compete on level ground with the absolute cream of the conventional crop, the NSX also represents a brilliant basis for the ongoing development–indeed, the ongoing existence–of the performance automobile. To drive it for 10 laps on track is to permanently shed any worries that the next generation of supercars will be overpowered takes on a Prius; to experience it on a fast road is to be reassured that tomorrow's technology will be accessible and enjoyable. For that achievement alone, the NSX deserves to be our PCOTY, but the fact that it does it all so well, right now, places it beyond argument. The NSX works, but it also knows how to play. Confident and capable, thrilling on both road and track, the Acura NSX is our 2017 Performance Car of the Year."

Definitely no axe to grind, here.  Hell, I wanted to love it given how much I adore the old NSX.  As I've said, from an objective standpoint, it's very difficult to criticize it.  It is a sensational engineering accomplishment.

Rrocket, you've always gone for the facts over the feel, as I recall, so I'm not surprised this car (like the GT-R) appeals to your sensibilities.  Nobody is going to pay me to win races, so I'd much rather a car that sends chills up my spine for its sound or its steering feedback or...  hell, even its looks.  Compared to a Cayman GT4 (the most sensational driving car I can recall experiencing in the past few years), the new NSX is lacking a bit of fizz. 
The past:00 BMW M Rdstr, 19 Jetta, 15 Ducati Scrambler, 09 Triumph Bonneville, 98 Boxster, 17 Kawi Z900, 05 LS 430, 99 LS 400, 17 Subaru STI, 14 Triumph STR, 15 WRX, 09 Ducati Monster 1100,  08 335i, 06 Suzuki SV650S, 06 330i, 06 MX-5, 04 Audi A4, 03 Suzuki SV650S, 98 328i, 93 Civic Si, 85 Corolla

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: August 14, 2018, 03:29:39 pm »
Having driven the GT-R, it's more than facts. Anyone who says it's "boring" or has "no soul" I question them. Seriously.

And the GT4 is sublime...I think most any car struggles to match up to that car in excitement. It's nearly peerless IMO.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #27 on: August 14, 2018, 03:38:06 pm »
Having driven the GT-R, it's more than facts. Anyone who says it's "boring" or has "no soul" I question them. Seriously.

After reading all those "video game" reviews, I was SHOCKED driving the GT-R at how raw and brutal it is.  It's a beast of a car, even with AWD and so on.  You can putter in traffic, but holy hell when the road opens up, it's fantastic.  Drives way lighter than it is, the engine is unreal, the grip is ridiculous, and even though it's a turbo V-6, it even sounds decent considering 90% of that configuration sound like crap.

I really like the new NSX, but I think the sales numbers (low) reflect that the pricing is a little out of whack.  Dealers in the US are having to discount them.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12392
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #28 on: August 14, 2018, 03:49:11 pm »

And the GT4 is sublime...I think most any car struggles to match up to that car in excitement. It's nearly peerless IMO.

But this is an NSX review - have you driven the NSX?  I haven't, but I see no reason to doubt the veracity of Jeff's account of the driving experience.  And this certainly isn't the first time I have heard it described in less than glowing terms regarding the level of driver engagement.  Which we can agree pretty much NOBODY has ever said about the GT4, right?  So for my part, if opinions differ as to how rewarding / engaging the car is to drive, I'm not going to categorically dismiss one point of view absent the opportunity to form my own opinion.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 03:55:23 pm by Jaeger »
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: August 14, 2018, 05:11:20 pm »

But this is an NSX review - have you driven the NSX?  I haven't, but I see no reason to doubt the veracity of Jeff's account of the driving experience.  And this certainly isn't the first time I have heard it described in less than glowing terms regarding the level of driver engagement.  Which we can agree pretty much NOBODY has ever said about the GT4, right?  So for my part, if opinions differ as to how rewarding / engaging the car is to drive, I'm not going to categorically dismiss one point of view absent the opportunity to form my own opinion.

And I've heard it more than once described as engaging. 

I won't dismiss what Jeff says.  He's certainly entitled to his opinion.

But I also put weight into what R&T says too....as the test for PCOY is more about just the numbers and raw data.  Emotion and engagement is a part of it.

Offline DriverJeff

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +181/-628
    • View Profile
    • Echo Bay Media
  • Cars: Whatever I'm assigned for the week + '13 Lexus GX460, '86 Toyota MR2, '18 Kawasaki Z900RS SE, 2021 Jeep Wrangler (GF's)
« Reply #30 on: August 15, 2018, 08:25:45 am »

But I also put weight into what R&T says too....as the test for PCOY is more about just the numbers and raw data.  Emotion and engagement is a part of it.

For sure.  In fairness, the R&T folks will have spent much more time with the car than I did, but even still, while I'd continue to really like the car, I don't think any amount of time would ever make me love it the way I would with cars that just offer more excitement to me. 

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12392
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #31 on: August 15, 2018, 08:33:33 am »

Well you DID dismiss Jeff's opinion. Unless I wholly misunderstood your 'one dingus with an axe to grind' comment.  :rofl2:

My point is, unlike the GT4, there isn't unanimity of opinion as to the engagement factor this car offers the driver.  That being so, and absent the experience of driving it myself, I'm not inclined to arbitrarily reject either viewpoint.

With this amount of money to spend on a high performance toy, I can't for the life of me see this car landing in my driveway .

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #32 on: August 15, 2018, 10:10:24 am »
...With this amount of money to spend on a high performance toy, I can't for the life of me see this car landing in my driveway .

:iagree:

And yet, it still doesn't make it bad car either.   It's a hell of performance machine and can rightly serve as a halo vehicle for Acura.   Lord knows they badly need one.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 15, 2018, 10:14:06 am »

Well you DID dismiss Jeff's opinion. Unless I wholly misunderstood your 'one dingus with an axe to grind' comment.  :rofl2:

I know Jeff personally....even let him rip in the Supra more than once. So I don't consider him a dingus and the comment wasn't directed at him.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 15, 2018, 10:22:58 am »
...With this amount of money to spend on a high performance toy, I can't for the life of me see this car landing in my driveway .

And yet, it still doesn't make it bad car either.   It's a hell of performance machine and can rightly serve as a halo vehicle for Acura.   Lord knows they badly need one.
it kinda does, as with this segment feeling like you are 10 again, working with nostalgia for performance machines of yore, or buying that bedroom poster in real life - ie desirability - is an essential element to the success of a supercar. The NSX is way down on just about everyone's list of "I want one" compared to its competition. And those that do want it, usually need to qualify or defend the statement because it is not immediately obvious as to why you would want one vs a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. In that, it is a failure.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #35 on: August 15, 2018, 10:44:51 am »

My point is, unlike the GT4, there isn't unanimity of opinion as to the engagement factor this car offers the driver.  That being so, and absent the experience of driving it myself, I'm not inclined to arbitrarily reject either viewpoint.

With this amount of money to spend on a high performance toy, I can't for the life of me see this car landing in my driveway .

This is the real issue here, the "want" factor. I have no issues with the performance or capability of it, its just not something that I lay awake at night and dream about.....like a GT3 or a 911 Turbo S
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline evil_twin

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +253/-253
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Cadillac CT5-V Blackwing, 2018 Audi Q7 3.0T
« Reply #36 on: August 15, 2018, 10:49:11 am »

it kinda does, as with this segment feeling like you are 10 again, working with nostalgia for performance machines of yore, or buying that bedroom poster in real life - ie desirability - is an essential element to the success of a supercar. The NSX is way down on just about everyone's list of "I want one" compared to its competition. And those that do want it, usually need to qualify or defend the statement because it is not immediately obvious as to why you would want one vs a Lambo, Ferrari, McLaren, etc. In that, it is a failure.

Well...for one...it's generally cheaper than a Lambo, Ferrari or McLaren.   A more apt comparison is maybe a higher end 911 or R8 no?

And when you're 10 I'm not sure R&T reviews for "driving feel" really mattered.  It was more how it looked and how cool the general marketing of the vehicle was.   I think the NSX looks pretty darn cool.  And it will claim some pretty amazing performance numbers.  That seems to me all Acura really needs to use it as a halo car.   Whether or not many people buy one seems less important.   I doubt they're counting on moving the needle vs the established marques.

I had a Countach poster on my wall like a lot of other boys in the 80s.  And yet if I were an adult in that timeframe, there's likely no way I would desire a Lambo...just as I don't today.   I'd much prefer a Ferrari or Porsche or whatever.   But none of that mattered much.   The Countach looked amazing.

I'd envision the crowd tuning Civics (or whatever Honda/Acura is offering) would happily lust for an NSX as the ultimate in their brand.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #37 on: August 15, 2018, 12:37:53 pm »
I agree that were I to hit the Lotto, this car wouldn't be on my list, not at all.  A GT3?  You bet.  AMG GT-R?  Yuppers.  Even a Nissan GT-R?  Probably.  The NSX is great, but it just doesn't hit the emotion button for me the way a lot of other cars in the segment do, and not in the way the original did/does.

The new Ford GT is the same for me.  Damn, it's one hulluva car, but the 2005 version is way more appealing to me.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #38 on: August 15, 2018, 02:17:28 pm »
There was an NSX at the dealership here for months. It might still be there, I'm not sure. It looked pretty cool, but I'm really not sure if I'd be swayed to pick it over an R8, for instance.

The new Ford GT is the same for me.  Damn, it's one hulluva car, but the 2005 version is way more appealing to me.

Same here.
On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #39 on: August 15, 2018, 02:26:32 pm »
I agree that were I to hit the Lotto, this car wouldn't be on my list, not at all.  A GT3?  You bet.  AMG GT-R?  Yuppers.  Even a Nissan GT-R?  Probably.  The NSX is great, but it just doesn't hit the emotion button for me the way a lot of other cars in the segment do, and not in the way the original did/does.

Yes to all, a GT3, AMG GT-R,  and an actual GT-R would be in the garage. That new Ford GT is cool, but kinda in the same ballpark as the NSX, meh.