Author Topic: Test Drive: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited  (Read 19589 times)

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
Re: Test Drive: 2019 Ram 1500 Limited
« Reply #20 on: August 08, 2018, 10:49:15 am »
So I have both a big SUV (Escalade) and a pickup (Ram Quad Cab, 6.5' box) and the Escalade is waay better as a family vehicle, mostly for the massive covered and secure cargo area. We keep the baby stroller, diaper bag, extra clothing (jackets and stuff), some spare tool, etc all in the cargo area, and there is still plenty of room for groceries and whatever else.

The Ram, being a quad cab, doesn't have the biggest rear seat area, but it will easily take 3 adults and has convenient storage under the bench....But when it comes to hauling stuff like stroller, clothes and other stuff that needs to stay dry and secure it's not ideal; even with the fancy retracting tonneau cover.

For what it's worth, the Escalade also rides better, can tow almost as much, and will do 95% of what the Ram could do.....So I agree that an proper SUV (not raised compact hatchback) is a better family hauler than a pickup.

That said, I do enjoy having a pickup around, it's very comfortable for what it is, and the ability to toss dirty car parts, wheels, etc in the bed without concern is something I take advantage of fairly often.

I somewhat regularly tow a 6x12 box trailer with the Ram (5.7L HEMI), not sure what the loaded weight is, but the truck handles it with ease and averages roughly 19L/100km with the trailer....14.5L/100km is my average without the trailer.

Edit: I have this 2019 presser (likely the same truck) booked next week - Excited to try it, and I should be able to do a decent comparison vs. the previous gen.

I 100% agree with you. Trucks are awesome to work with and if you are smart enough to buy one that doesn't cost as much a well optioned AMG, you don't have to shed a tear every time an errant rock scratches the paint, or a load of 2x4s slides around the box. This thing does no truck things well, it doesn't do the luxury car thing well....whats the point??
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline tooscoops

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +325/-227
  • "stealership" employee
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '75 AMC Pacer, '70 Morgan 4/4, '21 Pacifica Hybrid, '21 Wrangler Rubicon
« Reply #21 on: August 08, 2018, 11:05:11 am »
I think if you use it right, it can do both those things quite well actually. the interior is right on par with most "luxury" cars, and it can do all the truck things you want it to.... it's just hurts to do so!!
i used to be addicted to soap, but i'm clean now

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2018, 11:31:21 am »
i don't get the hate...i think it's a great truck...increased payloads over the previous gen (which was a weak point), plenty of towing capacity, luxurious interior...i get it, even if i don't need a truck myself...if i were to buy a truck, the new RAM ones are my favourite, but i'd likely get a nicely equipped Rebel, since i like the way they are equipped and look personally (plus they are cheaper, but still a bit pricey)...regarding the pricey part, just see tooscoops for your Autos.ca special discount.  :)
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #23 on: August 08, 2018, 12:06:24 pm »
somehow a truck that focuses on luxury refinements seems out of place to me, even if it is almost $90k

but then again, these are mostly bought by urban cowboys who wash them every third day and they rarely if ever see actual truck work - I have 4 neighbours within a block that prove this theory

That's what the market wants.  It's not just urban cowboys since the half ton crew cab short bed truck is basically a family vehicle in a lot of places in USA and Canada.
but an expensive and gas guzzling truck for a family vehicle, just because 'Murica...when a sedan, wagon, or even hell a CUV could do the job...doesn't make sense to me

will have to ask my neighbours why they have their trucks

Just curious, why does it matter why your neighbours have trucks?

Now that I've had my truck for over a year, I can 100% say that they make a fantastic family vehicle.  All the luxury components if you want them, huge back seat, can haul whatever, lots of cargo room in the back, etc.  If I were to choose, as a family vehicle, my Infiniti Q50S or my F-150, I'd actually take the F-150.  As for fuel economy, I can only comment on my F-150, but it's not bad at all IMO for what it is.

Just took this now.  Current tank has 1173 KMs on it and I've averaged 13.4L /100km.  IMHO, that's not too bad for a truck.

Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: August 08, 2018, 12:27:08 pm »
Yeah. If you need the capabilities of a truck it'll be so much more useful than an SUV.

I see this loaded version being used to haul a horse trailer with a 5th wheel hitch.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline EV-Light

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +125/-1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: August 08, 2018, 01:23:43 pm »
Price is excessive....and the fuel mileage is awful!! 18.2L/100km?!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2018, 01:24:20 pm »
I'd get it with the e-Torque.

Well if ChaosphereIX can get in favour of CUVs then these are good baby steps. Let's start promoting F-650s as grocery getter family vehicles and he'll start liking the half ton pickups.  ;D :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +187/-377
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Jaguar XJR-L
« Reply #27 on: August 08, 2018, 02:14:30 pm »

Well if ChaosphereIX can get in favour of CUVs then these are good baby steps. Let's start promoting F-650s as grocery getter family vehicles and he'll start liking the half ton pickups.  ;D :rofl2:
heh I am still not in favour of CUVs...but I understand why people get them - they are good small family vehicles...if you have requirements a CUV fits

as for half tons, I love them. For truck stuff. As for family vehicles, I say sure: IF  you also need to do truck stuff that a Tahoe etc. can't do. I sold hundreds of half tons to both urban cowboys and honest truck people, so I have seen both ends of the buying spectrum: from "I wash it twice a day and nothing has ever been in the bed" to "it better have a vinyl floor so I can hose off the dried concrete dust that accumulates after a week at the job site"
If driving an Alfa does not restore vitality to your soul, then just pass the hospital and park at the morgue to save everyone time.

Now drives a Jaaaaaaag...and thus will not pay for anything during an outing...but it is OK, because....I drive a Jaaaaaag.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #28 on: August 08, 2018, 02:37:35 pm »
price and fuel economy are likely comparable to everything else out there that does this...the fuel economy number on its own is relatively meaningless...you'd need the other vehicles driven the same day, with the same load to compare them...my guess is, they'd all be about the same.

Offline greengs

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +26/-57
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 BRZ
« Reply #29 on: August 08, 2018, 02:41:20 pm »
Also give it a few months or half a year and 15-20% discounts will be in effect.  MSRP on domestic trucks are just Suggestions as the name implies.

Offline Seafoam

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +89/-202
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: August 08, 2018, 03:22:08 pm »
price and fuel economy are likely comparable to everything else out there that does this...the fuel economy number on its own is relatively meaningless...you'd need the other vehicles driven the same day, with the same load to compare them...my guess is, they'd all be about the same.

Agreed . If you complain about gas mileage don't buy a full size truck. This is why I don't have one. Anything higher than 10 guzzles gas ,just my opinion.
2023 Honda Civic EX-B
2004 Mazdaspeed Miata

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #31 on: August 08, 2018, 04:37:28 pm »

as for half tons, I love them. For truck stuff. As for family vehicles, I say sure: IF  you also need to do truck stuff that a Tahoe etc. can't do. I sold hundreds of half tons to both urban cowboys and honest truck people, so I have seen both ends of the buying spectrum: from "I wash it twice a day and nothing has ever been in the bed" to "it better have a vinyl floor so I can hose off the dried concrete dust that accumulates after a week at the job site"

But so what?  I don't understand why it irks you so much.   ???  Who cares if someone buys a truck and never puts anything in the bed.  Does it also bother you that someone buys an expensive sports car and doesn't track it? 

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2122
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #32 on: August 08, 2018, 04:39:51 pm »

But so what?  I don't understand why it irks you so much.   ???  Who cares if someone buys a truck and never puts anything in the bed.  Does it also bother you that someone buys an expensive sports car and doesn't track it?

Actually very much so  ;D ;D

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
« Reply #33 on: August 08, 2018, 04:42:02 pm »
 :rofl2: :rofl2: :rofl2:

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #34 on: August 08, 2018, 04:50:21 pm »

I knew somebody that bought a sedan and never used the trunk. Oh the horror.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #35 on: August 08, 2018, 04:58:46 pm »
Or lifted Jeeps and never touched dirt.  ;D

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +269/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #36 on: August 08, 2018, 04:59:06 pm »

It probably irks him that I bought a minivan and have the 3rd row stowed 99% of the time... :rofl2:

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: August 08, 2018, 05:04:48 pm »

It probably irks him that I bought a minivan and have the 3rd row stowed 99% of the time... :rofl2:

but seriously though...you do you. I really don't care THAT much about the truck thing...all my ire is saved for the sporty CUV segment - only so much hate I can throw around at one time.

But buying a vehicle and not using it ever for its intended purpose...kinda sad. That car/truck/jeep etc. must be very depressed!  :P

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: August 08, 2018, 05:04:58 pm »
The only people buying full size trucks that annoy me are those that use them to haul air and only have it because "they like trucks".

It's fine to like them but if they're being daily driven then it's an unjustified source of excess C02 and overall emissions.  Modern cars are significantly more efficient and clean than modern trucks. There's no need.

Offline ChaosphereIX

• Car Crazy
  • Wont run with the pack
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: August 08, 2018, 05:08:40 pm »
The only people buying full size trucks that annoy me are those that use them to haul air and only have it because "they like trucks".

It's fine to like them but if they're being daily driven then it's an unjustified source of excess C02 and overall emissions.  Modern cars are significantly more efficient and clean than modern trucks. There's no need.
this

during my commute, the vast majority of trucks I see are of this kind: driver alone, nobody in the back of the big quad cab, nothing in the bed, pristine and polished body, etc. They also take up huge space in parking lots and on the street.