Author Topic: 4,500km road trip on a 250cc  (Read 17738 times)

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-80
  • 42?
    • View Profile
Re: 4,500km road trip on a 250cc
« Reply #80 on: August 07, 2018, 03:38:00 pm »

The previous night we had camped by the lake in Kelowna. Our company from the previous night had invited us over to their trailer for breakfast but was not yet up so we left a note and prepared to hit the road.

In the morning I noticed that my chain guard was rattling going over the campsite speed bumps. I stopped and discovered that a bolt has dropped off. So I took the guard off and strapped it to the back of the bike.

Before leaving Kelowna we stopped for breakfast then at a mini-mall. He needed some underwear and t-shirts as he had burnt through all the clean stuff and I took a look at the hardware store to source a replacement bolt. No such luck as it was more of a woodworking tool oriented place. There was a classic Dodge Charger outside however.

Quite a few grapes and vineyards in this area. Sampling the wares and riding is probably not a good combination so we kept moving.

Thankfully we were off the main highway again on some nice winding bits. Came across this fantastic sign at Cherryville next to the golf course. I know that Russian Borscht is a food but with live music below it I want it to be a musical act. Either heavy metal or a polka band. At ten days in I am starting to grow a little bit of a beard. Another guy on a bike passed by and saw us hamming it up for the camera with this sign and turned around himself to have a good.

In the same parking lot was this very nice condition Suzuki Samurai.

As well as a 1947 Studebaker M16

It looked nicely restored for a vehicle retired to sign duty.

It has no doubt carried heavier loads than the sign, a barrel of hay and this classic Honda gas tank. Anyone recognize the bike it was sourced from?

We rode up and down another high mountain pass full of fantastic road, lakes and views.

There were a few other bikes out enjoying the scenery.

My Chinese moped bags had started to sag a bit on either side. They obviously were not designed with this sort of trip in mind so I hoped they could complete the whole thing. I had backpack as a backup plan.

After 10 days and getting a bit wet with rain at certain points my towel did not smell fresh anymore. I strapped it to the back of the bike hoping to air it out.

After completing the pass we had another small ferry to travel on near Fauquier.

We lucked out with the timing and did not have long to wait. During the ride a local entertained us with tales of his nearby cottage. Before they retired they had a long term renter than lived there. He paid his bills and was very private. After he moved out and they used it as a weekend cottage they keep getting inquiries at the door to buy drugs.

We continued along the lake until it was time to tackle another smaller mountain pass.

Along the way we came across a sign that said "Tourist Attraction" at a right turn. Uncharacteristically we were not behind on today's schedule so we went for it. The sign neglected (or we missed it which is more likely) what it was or how far but this is what road trips are all about so we set down the dirt/gravel road.

After what seemed like quite a distance (both my bike and I are not super confident on gravel) we came across an inactive mine. Silver I believe. Surely this was not it. The road continued so we did as well.

I am glad we did as we came to one of my favourite places on the whole trip. The ghost town of Sandon.

There are a few remaining building left from the town's height after a flood in 1955 caused it to be mostly abandoned.

There are a handful of residents however.

The old City Hall was converted to a school when the town went bankrupt. It is being restored with the lower floors having a gift shop and information center inside currently.

The whole town was a museum essentially and seemed to be run by one family. They noted that they don't receive government funding which is surprising.

This 1951 Chevrolet 1300 pickup truck had been used by one of the long term residents. The truck has lived its whole life in there area.

The formal museum had just closed up for the day but the center piece of the place is a power generating station which we could still visit.

The oldest, still in use piece of machinery in Canada. Power generator in Sandon, BC. Still on its original bearings. Water from top of the mountain was dropped down chutes to power the turbine with such pressure that relatively little water is required.

The caretaker himself was working outside the generator and we had a good chat with him.

Stationary engine that was used to supplement the power generator at the height of Sandon's population. No longer in use.

All sorts of vintage stuff inside

The whole town was built over top of this creek.

A few old Kenworths were around as well.

And a train. Built in 1908 at Montreal Locomotive Works.

The largest collection of Brill trolley buses in the world. Built in the 1940s and 1950s. These were collected from various cities in western Canada including Vancouver, Calgary, Edmonton and Winnipeg.

Definitely worth a visit:

More at http://www.sandonmuseum.ca/

We finished heading down the pass with this creek at the side of the road.

Next stop scenic Kaslo, BC.

Offline Sir Osis of Liver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1376/-1726
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 KTM DUKE 390, 2019 VW Jetta GLI 35th Anniversary
« Reply #81 on: August 07, 2018, 03:53:48 pm »
Awesome!  :thumbup:

That museum is very neat.

Regina used to have trolley buses too. Long gone now, of course.

On some great and glorious day the plain folks of the land will reach their heart's desire at last, and the White House will be adorned by a downright moron.

H. L. Mencken

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: August 07, 2018, 03:54:44 pm »
The red one above is from Regina.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: August 07, 2018, 04:01:26 pm »
I didn't recognize the red colour. They switched to blue long before I got here.

I had to look it up. Apparently, the trolley buses were removed from service in 1966.

There was a streetcar service here too, which ended in 1950. I had no idea.

Edit. One of my favourite museums is the Cole Land Transportation Museum in Bangor Maine. It's got an eclectic mix of cars, trucks, snowplows, and railway equipment. It's pretty neat, if you should ever be in the area.

http://colemuseum.org/
« Last Edit: August 07, 2018, 04:06:06 pm by Sir Osis of Liver »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +291/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #84 on: August 07, 2018, 04:28:59 pm »
Love those old buses. Vancouver has a couple in town well maintained that they use for festivals and shows like the New Westminster car show, and they occasionally bring them out for fan rides.

Regina used to have trolley buses too. Long gone now, of course.

Vancouver still has them!

I grew up riding the middle one which was a Flyer. The New Flyers on the right replaced the old Flyers starting in 2006. All accessible but they held less passengers which is why Vancouver had to order some 60 foot units for the busy routes.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #85 on: August 08, 2018, 10:30:42 am »
A great leg., the best so far. The Kaslo area is a favourite. There is another ghost town just beyond Sandon.

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #86 on: August 08, 2018, 10:40:18 am »
My favorite thread to see new additions to. Keep it up, this is fantastic!!
Lighten up Francis.....

Offline 99 Silver

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +17/-8
  • Dog lover
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: August 08, 2018, 05:18:55 pm »
Wonderful road trip!

You guys are tough in that cold rainy weather.  My wife and I are wimps when it gets like that and raise the top of our convertible when it gets like that.
Jerry
Kitchener
13 Boxster
17 Lexus RX350
In the past: 12 Acura TL, 04 MazdaSpeed Miata, 07 Infiniti M35, 05 Infiniti G35x, 03 Infiniti G35, 99 Acura 3.2TL, 99 Miata, 95 Chrysler Sebring, 93 Ford Probe GT, 93 Chrysler Concorde, 89 Taurus SHO, 86 Taurus, 79 Mazda RX7

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: August 14, 2018, 04:11:47 pm »
Thanks all for the kind words. We are coming to near the end. The second last segment.

This trip marked the first time that I have visited Kalso. It won't be the last. What a beautiful place. It is surrounded by mountains and situated on Kootenay Lake.

There is also a historical downtown street with plenty of specialty shops. Like a Banff but not overflowing with people. The smaller size makes it very walk-able as well.

Quite a few buildings are very unique looking.

The big hotel is a recent re-construction but tastefully done to fit in with the older buildings.

No hotel for us as we again tented it. A little bit of rain overnight but nothing too bad. We meet a couple in the campsite who had quit their jobs, sold their belongings and were touring British Columbia in a early 2000s era Chevrolet pickup truck. They had a topper on and had converted the bed to a sleeping area. They shared some of their adventures with us thus far - a trip of a lifetime no doubt.

To polish off the evening we had a pizza dinner out and two giant cans of local craft beer.

The cans were filled and topped onsite.

Day 11 Map

The next morning I came across this fun looking Dune Buggy.

What a great way to haul your boat.

Kalso is also home to logger sports. Ax throwing, tree chopping, log toss, etc.

I would have loved to have seen this event in action. Another time perhaps. We knew that another ferry awaited us this morning and while we assumed that it left from Kaslo the realization that it was actually about a half hour drive away. We did not have a moment to spare so we hurriedly packed up and took off. On the way I additionally realized I had not filled with fuel last night as was my ritual and was now running quite low on fuel. This area of the world is sparsely populated so I hoped that one side of the ferry of the other would have a gas station.

Luckily there was a gas station at the Balfour ferry loading dock along with a few other small businesses including Kool Bus interactive experience. Unfortunately by the time I had filled my tank we had only moments before loading onto the ferry so I have no idea what that interactive experience might be.

In the line up was this Advanced Design Chevrolet truck which had been hot rodded into a convertible with a matching trailer.

The ferry was a little larger than the last one we had been one. The Osprey 2000 was built in nearby Nelson, BC in the year 2000.

Luckily it also had food services on board as we had not yet had breakfast. Usually ordering breakfast on a ferry would result in some pretty mediocre food but it was actually very good.

Another day in BC, another Westfalia  van.

This is actually the longest free ferry ride in the world takes approximately fourty minutes from end to end. We were treated to some interesting cloud formations.

On the other side it was a quick detour to check out the Pilot Bay Lighthouse. There was a short hike through a forested area.

Serving Kootnay Lake the lighthouse was established in 1905.

Unusually you can actually enter this one and go up to the top.

A nice view of the lake.

Luckily there was no rain for us but this area must see a good amount of precipitation with lots of moss ...

and some large mushrooms

Even the road up to the lighthouse was rather scenic. The couple we had met previously that night gave us a hint about an orange beach nearby. As we checked out their description of it we found a sign explaining that it was heavily polluted with lead from an old factory built in the early 1900s. We'll give that a miss!

We then had a scenic ride along the edge of Kootney Lake with a few stops along the way.

We made time to stop at the Glass House which is constructed from half a million embalming bottles. The owner/builder was a funeral director and intended to make it into the family home. It proved too popular with passing tourists and was converted to a roadside attraction.

We left behind the lake but learned this valley was once a lake which was drained (twice - the first time didn't take) to expose fertile farm land.

The terrain changed again away from mountains to more hill like.

While filling with gas (again) in Creston, BC I spotted this nice AMC Javelin driving by.

We stopped for a photo at the 4000km mark as measured by the bigger Suzuki. My bike had actually done a few more due his bike's break down early in the trip.

As we hit Moyie Lake the clouds looked a little menacing.

Sure enough the rain came.

We stopped to buy dinner supplies in Cranbrook and were treated to this Rolls Royce Silver Shadow in the Superstore parking lot. We had planned on visiting the historical village at near by Fort Steele but it ended up being too late in the day.

For the last camping night of the trip we stayed at Lake Koocanusa. Lake Koocanusa was formed by damning Kootney river in 1975. It was a joint Canada/US project which lead to the name Koo from Kootney, can from Canada and usa from United States of America.

For our last dinner we bought pie plates, ribs beans and corn.

and cooked them over the fire.

A cigar each was enjoyed as we celebrated our last evening.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2018, 04:24:35 pm by Arthur Dent »

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #89 on: August 14, 2018, 04:21:50 pm »
Boss. Well done!
 :fiver:
Railton
Do you realize that in about 30 (updated as requested) years, we'll have millions of old ladies running around with tattoos?

Offline Bubba

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +382/-442
  • Vice President, Autos.ca Arizona Operations
    • View Profile
    • My photo site
  • Cars: 2013 Toyota Corolla LE
« Reply #90 on: August 14, 2018, 04:33:06 pm »
This journey would be epic even being done in a car.  But, being done on a motorcycle, puts it over the top.
My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government. - Thomas Jefferson

Offline Fobroader

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1424/-2123
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2020 Toyota Tundra, 2021 Lexus GX460, 2018 Kawasaki Versys X300
« Reply #91 on: August 14, 2018, 05:18:50 pm »
Fan-freaking-tastic trip and coverage man!! Thank you for letting us join you on it.

• Car Crazy
  • Ramblin' man
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: August 14, 2018, 06:25:07 pm »
 :iagree: Thanks a lot for sharing. That was epic.  :thumbup:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:17 pm »
I got one more smaller update to come for the last day. These take a bit of time to write up so it might be a few days.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #94 on: August 14, 2018, 06:27:47 pm »
Truly exceptional!  And I'm glad you made it home safe.  Enjoy your dry, cushy bed.   ;D

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: August 15, 2018, 12:47:17 pm »

Day 12 (last day)

This was just a small stretch home. Only Two hundred some kilometers. After packing up we rode out of BC and back into Alberta. My riding partner left as we entered the Crowsnest Pass as he had a trailer there.  I took a quick stop to explore the town of Coleman. This is an older church converted to a cafe.

A lot of older buildings here and some are not in great condition like this retired school building.

Property values were historically quite low until relatively recently.

However a good number are now being restored/taken care of.

An old International bus turn RV

Roxy

Grand Union Hotel

The GMC version of the Tracker was only sold in Canada.

The Coleman Journal was Coleman's third newspaper operating from 1921 to 1972. For its whole life the paper was hand set and printed on a hand operated press.

A good selection of older 4x4 trucks and SUVs live here including this GMC Sierra Grande K15 pickup.

Coleman High School now museum.

I spotted a Ford Model A on my first day and it seemed only fitting to see one on the last as well, this time a pickup version.

Speaking of pickups how about this Ford Festiva truck conversion? Festero?

A view of Frank's slide and Turtle mountain from Bellevue.

Old service station in Bellevue.

Left the mountains for good and head into the prairie.

Soon there were ominous clouds. The rain absolutely bucketed down and massive gusts of wind. Speeds dropped significantly as the roads were covered in pooling water. After about twenty miserable minutes I got a break from the rain as it briefly changed to hail. Luckily that did not last too long as the rain came back for another twenty minutes or so. I stopped in Fort MacLeod to drain the water out of my gloves before finishing the last leg towards home. The rain had managed to make it through my water proof pouches a little wreaking some paper including my passport.

Once home the final odometer reading was 7619 kms. Not considering I had bought the bike only two months ago with fifteen hundred and change on it.

An oil change followed a few days later.

All in all a fantastic trip. I cannot take any credit for the route as my riding partner put that all together. He did a fantastic good of it. Hopefully another trip soon although my moped bags were looking a little sad and developed a hole on one side. I also managed to burn my pants on the exhaust at some point in the trip.

Online Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +310/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #96 on: August 15, 2018, 12:59:14 pm »
epic trip, thanks for the great write-up and sharing it all!!
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline Railton

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +243/-156
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Infiniti QX60 Touring, 2010 Infiniti G37S 6M, 2020 Hyundai Kona 1.6T Trend
« Reply #97 on: August 15, 2018, 01:00:07 pm »
That Model A Pick up should be worth a tidy sum.
Did your Wife and kids recognize you when you got home?  :) What did they do for 12 days without you? Pics of the parties to tack onto the rest of the trip? :)
Railton

Offline Weels

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +253/-259
  • This is my happy face
    • View Profile
  • Cars: The 5's: 2023 Mazda CX-5, 2016 Mazda MX-5
« Reply #98 on: August 15, 2018, 01:11:59 pm »
Absolutely fantastic. 
Thanks for sharing Mr. Dent     :thumbup:

Offline Arthur Dent

• Car Crazy
  • 42?
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: August 15, 2018, 01:23:18 pm »
Thanks all. It was fun and worth documenting just for myself.

Doing the odometer math I just realized the trip was 4,873 kms in total