Author Topic: Off-roading on NB vacation  (Read 3482 times)

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +244/-779
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
Off-roading on NB vacation
« on: July 17, 2018, 06:47:37 pm »
Some of the scenery at the NE tip of NB

https://youtu.be/HQs1KfkWYJs
7:20  162kph on the beach, pucker factor was high

https://youtu.be/fS_wpg0wFZ8
5:40 if you want to see a dead whale.

https://youtu.be/XKb-TL0S0OU
Harbour scenes and trail to the point.

Mr Pickypants

Offline rrocket

• Carma: +1255/-7218
    • View Profile
Re: Off-roading on NB vacation
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2018, 06:59:58 pm »
^^Which dirtbike was going 162kmh?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
  • Cars: and bikes by age:Volkswagen, BMW, Porsche, Subaru, Suzuki, Suzuki, Mazda, Jaguar, Kawasaki, Porsche, GMC, Suzuki
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2018, 07:19:13 pm »

Not the DRZ :rofl:

The G450X is a bit of a beast

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2018, 07:35:05 pm »

Slight understatement there.  Very desirable power dirt machine.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2018, 10:36:56 pm »

Peat moss

I didn't anchor

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2018, 10:41:38 pm »

Look away if you're scared of loose gravel

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 17, 2018, 10:42:41 pm »

I knew you meant that bike...just thought maybe you bought something else.

Did you change the gearing??  I seem to recall the top speed on those was 85-90MPH.  Plus you're in the sand which really slows top end...

I think your speedo might be broken!   ;D

Offline rrocket

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 17, 2018, 10:43:42 pm »

Get the weight on the back and get that front tire to plane!! 

I think I dislike loamy soft dirt more....

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 18, 2018, 12:13:44 am »

I knew you meant that bike...just thought maybe you bought something else.

Did you change the gearing??  I seem to recall the top speed on those was 85-90MPH.  Plus you're in the sand which really slows top end...

I think your speedo might be broken!   ;D

Stock gearing is pretty tall,  I've seen over 170kph on pavement with street tires and it feels like that's fairly accurate.  Still, I'm sure the speedo is a bit optimistic like most are.

I've had the DRZ to an indicated 130kph or so on the same stretch of beach.   At low tide it's pretty hard and looking at the tracks there's little wheelspin.   

Offline KD

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +359/-263
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Frontier Pro-4X, 2013 Lexus GS-350
« Reply #9 on: July 18, 2018, 07:37:51 am »
We should take a road trip up there in a couple of weeks during my vacation.  We will be visiting friends in Pointe Sapin in mid-August, so might try around then.  I go up there for work occasionally but not the same.
« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 07:41:01 am by KD »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 18, 2018, 01:58:30 pm »

Get the weight on the back and get that front tire to plane!! 

I think I dislike loamy soft dirt more....

Driving on the beach you encounter all kinds of conditions, hardpacked sand  to  softball sized round rocks.   You can come around a slight bend and the sand changes consistency, or ridges of gravel have formed,  some places are soft clay or even composting seaweed covered by a shallow layer of sand where you immediately sink about 6 inches into the muck as it tries to grab your wheels.   As RR says, in most cases get far back and keep the front wheel light. 

Another thing is to time all your travels with the tides as you can run out of beach in many places once the water comes back in, plus the sand is always wetter and harder when the tide is falling.  On our last outing it was super low due to the sun/moon/earth alignments so I was riding on new sandbars I've never even seen exposed before.

We also did a fair amount of two-up riding with the DRZ as it has passenger pegs (it really is a fun and versatile machine).  It was much harder riding on the beach with a passenger, even an excellent one like Lynn.   I had changed the tires to more street worthy and they gave up something off-road.  At times I felt like we were skiing where you tried to pick your lines and hoped the bike would either turn or stay straight, but you had to go with the flow and bounce around the moguls, or in this case, the mounds of gravel on the sloped beach.  We gave up trying to get to one point when we ended up spinning almost completely around when the rear end slid out sideways on the stones.

The beach is always changing, I've never seen these sandbars before this year.

Check out the size of this snail

Didn't even leave tracks

« Last Edit: July 18, 2018, 02:31:08 pm by blur911 »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 18, 2018, 03:10:50 pm »

Made it to the point on the 2nd try.

47.915850, -64.493242

Online HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #12 on: July 18, 2018, 03:31:56 pm »
Looks like fun! I’ve never ridden on a beach before.

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: July 18, 2018, 05:06:27 pm »
We should take a road trip up there in a couple of weeks during my vacation.  We will be visiting friends in Pointe Sapin in mid-August, so might try around then.  I go up there for work occasionally but not the same.

If you like stripers, bring a rod.  You can toss a line in just about anywhere and get a fish.

Offline tenpenny

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +137/-305
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: July 18, 2018, 07:05:18 pm »
We will be up in Kent co for a couple of weeks in August. If I can find it, I will scan and post the pic my father took in the early 60s of the Miscou lighthouse. I always really liked the shot.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
My diesel car self-identifies as an electric vehicle.

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2018, 10:32:18 am »

I didn't know you had a 450x.  :thumbup: A very interesting bike, I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild. I imagine you bought it used? How is the aftermarket parts supply?  I recall years ago local dealer had some Aprilia 450s that just rotted on the showroom floor. Year after year they would sit. Never really went on blow out the door sale either. Very weird. You should get one of those too and begin an enduro collection.

The G450X is in this article.  I think it probably made a better trail machine than full on dirt attack weapon. Anyhow Jody has tested just about every dirtbike ever made. A good article for those of us of a certain vintage,. It brings back memories of some truly horrible bikes.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/the-worst-bikes-i-ever-raced-by-jody-weisel/

« Last Edit: July 23, 2018, 10:51:36 am by ktm525 »

Online blur911

• Car Crazy
  • Nasty Weasel
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2018, 11:20:47 pm »

I didn't know you had a 450x.  :thumbup: A very interesting bike, I don't think I have ever seen one in the wild. I imagine you bought it used? How is the aftermarket parts supply?  I recall years ago local dealer had some Aprilia 450s that just rotted on the showroom floor. Year after year they would sit. Never really went on blow out the door sale either. Very weird. You should get one of those too and begin an enduro collection.

The G450X is in this article.  I think it probably made a better trail machine than full on dirt attack weapon. Anyhow Jody has tested just about every dirtbike ever made. A good article for those of us of a certain vintage,. It brings back memories of some truly horrible bikes.

https://motocrossactionmag.com/the-worst-bikes-i-ever-raced-by-jody-weisel/

It is a weird bike, if I get on it after not riding it for a while it takes a few minutes to get used to, then it's still different, but not necessarily in a bad way.  The long swingarm and steering geometry make for a stable bike with good traction, but it gives up something in tossability and steering feel.   It somehow feels like the steering head is really high.  The engine is fantastic, 52hp and torque out the wazoo.
I haven't had to buy anything for it, it didn't come with a kickstand so I made one out of stainless steel.   The maintenance schedule is pretty high on it, 10 hr oil changes etc., but it's not really the bike I use for A to B riding, for that the DRZ is more comfy and not as highly strung.
I'm not sure how long I'll keep it, hard to find one bike that does it all well.   Thinking I might want a larger ADV bike, maybe.   Dunno.  Knowing myself, I'll probably still have it 20 years from now.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2018, 09:30:11 am by blur911 »

Offline ktm525

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +117/-442
  • Just walk away!
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Land Rover LR4, Honda Ridgeline, Husqvarna FE501
« Reply #17 on: July 24, 2018, 02:18:04 am »
It's a keeper.