Author Topic: Need help choosing a good car for the winter  (Read 4725 times)

Offline Neutron

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
  • El Fuego
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Mazda 3 i Sport
Need help choosing a good car for the winter
« on: June 26, 2018, 10:02:02 pm »
Hello everyone!

First off all, I gotta say this is a very nice place you guys have here.

So I'm shopping for my first vehicle, I'm currently located in Montreal, and you know how the winters are, so I need a vehicle that's good on at least moderate snow and ice. So far the options I have been given for my budget include the following:

2010 to 2014 Subaru Impreza (not wrx or sti)
2010 to 2012 Mazda cx 7 AWD
2011-2014 Kia Optima
2011-2014 Hyundai Sonata
2011-2014 Mazda 3
2010-2013 Ford fusion AWD

I'm really torn and I can't decide, I like the 3 FWD vehicles just fine, and they have great fuel economy, but I'm not sure they're good in snow or on ice. I have heard mixed reports regarding that, but most agree that assuming both are equipped with decent winter rubber, the AWD vehicle will always be better. What do you guys think of that?

Honestly I'm so convinced I have practically erased the FWD cars from my list, but I thought I'd ask here anyway since I think most members here know more about this than I do.

Other priorities include reliability, which is why I'm unlikely to go with the Ford (my friend used to call an unreliable car a piece of Ford lol), and while I'm not crazy about performance I want something that won't suck some trying to overtake on the highway.

If you have any other suggestions please let me know, I can pay up to 13000 dollars, I'll need to finance so no more than 115 dollars bi-weekly or 280 dollars a month.

Thanks in advance fellows!
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:03:48 pm by TechnoGeek »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
Re: Need help choosing a good car for the winter
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2018, 10:17:26 pm »
I'm in Montreal  :hello:

Never had awd, only fwd on Blizzaks, never had an issue.

CX-7 was neat in his time, but as a used vehicle go for the late models with the atmospheric 2.5. Turbo is, ahem, delicate and requires premium fuel. Older Mazda products don't age as well as Hondayota, so expect repairs, niggling things and maybe rust  :hide:

Tons of Mazda3's around here, look for a clean one with plenty of records.

Neighbour has a high-trim Sonata turbo from those years, again quick aging so beware of high-feature versions. Optima is gorgeous, of course. Lower prices, look for good maintenance records.

Fusion awd, rare bird, high on value, don't think they're that bad on reliability but haven't researched them. Premium-feeling.

Impreza from those years as refined as a lawn tractor, watch for head gaskets (quick, gotta hide from fanboys)  :stick:
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2018, 10:21:14 pm »
The newest Impreza you can afford will minimize potential issues and you'll get freakin' awesome AWD.  The 2.0L cars are better on gas than the previous 2.5L.  Long term though, they are for sure a step down from many brands in terms of reliability.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:30 pm »
The nicest Mazda3 hatch in your budget is what I would get.  And then I'd buy Blizzaks.

Just make sure to rust proof it.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #4 on: June 26, 2018, 10:33:24 pm »
Ex-montrealer here. Blueprint is right when he says you can get by fine with FWD and snows, but I've had awd, fwd, and rwd in the city and for me no question the AWD was very nice to have and just made life a bit easier, so I'd echo Johngenx and vote newer 2012+ Impreza with the 2.0L motor.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2018, 10:36:28 pm by lebowski »

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-233
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #5 on: June 26, 2018, 10:35:24 pm »
There's a unicorn option in the compact awd sedan segment: the Mitsubishi Lancer. If you can find a clean one with no mods, they have a solid warranty and have decent old bones. Awd models are CVT only, but I drove one and it's not a bad unit.

Offline Neutron

• Learner's Permit
  • El Fuego
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2018, 12:22:51 am »
Well it seems that FWD vehicles aren't as bad as I originally thought with something like a set of WS80 blizzaks? If a FWD is enough I get to save a lot on fuel and the vehicle itself. I also have some amazing choices, like a 2014 Mazda 3 with under 70K kilometers, a 2013 Kia Optima with similar mileage, and a 2013 Hyundai Sonata with under 60K.

From the above 3, which would be the most reliable? I think I like the Mazda or the Kia the most
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 12:38:24 am by TechnoGeek »

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #7 on: June 27, 2018, 08:10:13 am »
Buy a ragtop and spend winters in The islands  ;D

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 27, 2018, 08:11:48 am »

2010-2013 Ford fusion AWD

Other priorities include reliability, which is why I'm unlikely to go with the Ford (my friend used to call an unreliable car a piece of Ford lol), and while I'm not crazy about performance I want something that won't suck some trying to overtake on the highway.

Sorry, but your friend's full of shi#.  Well under budget you can find a nice 2010-2012 Fusion Sport (not "Sport Package" - that's different).  Gotta be the 3.5 V6.  YMMV, but dude, AWD, 263 HP, comfy and quiet, just get a good set of winter tires and aluminum wheels (because black steel is ugly) and you're good.  180,000 km and I haven't spent a grand on anything major, other than tires.

This one's $11g and has barely over 40,000 km.  It's feckin' new!
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ville-de-montreal/ford-fusion-v6-sport-awd-cuir-toit-ouvrant-2010/1355952562?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

The red inserts are kinda gaudy...but whatever.  You can probably get it under $10 easy. No one wants an almost 10 yr old car! Pfft.  Their loss.

This one's well under budget, and don't let the kms scare you. If it's been taken care of, or if it's all highway...great! Even better than a city car with a third of the kms.
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ville-de-montreal/ford-fusion-4dr-sdn-v6-sport-awd-2011/1360477471?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
And it looks good in black (damn they lubed up the interior)

Less km, black, $1000 more
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ville-de-quebec/ford-fusion-sport-2011/1359808675?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

They're everywhere
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-autos-camions/sherbrooke-qc/ford-fusion-sport-peinture-neuve/1359649449?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-cars-trucks/ville-de-montreal/2012-ford-fusion-sport-awd-mags-a-c-gr-elect-toit-ouvrant-cuir/1359436337?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Don't let your friend keep you from jumping off a bridge just because of his (unfounded) fears.

Happy hunting!

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +309/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2006 Porsche 911 Carrera, 2019 Honda Passport
« Reply #9 on: June 27, 2018, 08:23:30 am »
I think bang for the buck a Fusion Sport AWD is a great car as BWII has pointed out. Reliable, drives great and cheap to repair if needed. If you go FWD, then Mazda 3 all the way.
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline JohnnyMac

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +112/-461
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Honda CR-V Sport, 2022 Honda Civic Si, 2020 Toyota Rav4 Hybrid XLE (traded in), 2020 VW Jetta GLI (Traded in), 2010 Hyundai Santa Fe Limited (sold), 2016 VW Golf R (Sold)
« Reply #10 on: June 27, 2018, 08:28:56 am »
You got $13,000 to spend.  Well I'm not sure why anyone hasn't suggested you buy a $5,000 Toyota Corolla for the winter months and a $8,000 Mazda Miata for the summer months.  Two of the most reliable vehicles in their categories and both excellent on fuel and insurance premiums should be reasonable.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 27, 2018, 08:31:13 am »
You got $13,000 to spend.  Well I'm not sure why anyone hasn't suggested you buy a $5,000 Toyota Corolla for the winter months and a $8,000 Mazda Miata for the summer months.  Two of the most reliable vehicles in their categories and both excellent on fuel and insurance premiums should be reasonable.
He shopping for his first car
Imagine what insurance will be like for one car , never mind two  :o

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #12 on: June 27, 2018, 08:35:07 am »
9th generation Toyota Corolla. With decent winter tires, that car was so awesome in the snow. Would probably be even better with a good set of winter tires.

Offline Neutron

• Learner's Permit
  • El Fuego
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 27, 2018, 09:03:57 am »
He shopping for his first car
Imagine what insurance will be like for one car , never mind two  :o

Exactly my thinking. I should mention it's my first car in Canada, not my first car altogether, but I still think this is gonna affect insurance.

Seems like most here agree that the Mazda 3 is a better choice than the Optima? Any particular reason?
« Last Edit: June 27, 2018, 09:06:02 am by TechnoGeek »

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +290/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #14 on: June 27, 2018, 09:15:58 am »
The Mazda 3 is not great in the snow FYI, you really need the best winter tires on those to have any starting traction. Stopping is fine. Speaking from experience. Fun to drive car though.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1255/-7215
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2018, 09:17:01 am »
9th generation Toyota Corolla. With decent winter tires, that car was so awesome in the snow. Would probably be even better with a good set of winter tires.
This.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline BWII

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +188/-376
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 27, 2018, 09:52:09 am »
This.

You guys miss this part?  :stick:

and while I'm not crazy about performance I want something that won't suck trying to overtake on the highway.

The manual feature on the Sport is fun (and it's "right" - fwd for downshifts, back for upshifts).  Blow by cars easy-peasy.  No suckage overtaking anybody.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +270/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #17 on: June 27, 2018, 10:02:08 am »
I don't think you should buy a car specifically because it is good in snow.  Buy the car that you can live with, with regards to its interior, exterior, performance, and reliability. 

The Impreza is nice, and AWD sure is handy in the winter, but that comes at the cost of a crappier interior than its competition, and its a bit of a dog performance-wise.   The Mazda 3 will have a nicer interior, and will have a little more get-up-and-go. 

That being said, Mazdas are known to rust, and Quebec Mazda's would have been exposed to a TON of salt.  So I would be VERY careful to check any potential car for any signs of rust.  Check the wheel wells, the trunk lid, bottom of the doors, etc.  And anywhere where to pieces of metal are joined together by a pinch weld. 

A Corolla is never a bad choice, nor is a Civic.  For the money, you'll be getting a slightly older, slightly higher mileage version of both, but they should be dead reliable for years to come.  The Civic should be more entertaining than the Corolla. 

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 27, 2018, 10:57:35 am »
Lock thread
http://www.autotrader.ca/a/lexus/is/montrÉal-ouest/quebec/19_10616687_?showcpo=ShowCpo&ncse=no&orup=2_15_27&pc=H1A%201A1&sprx=100
 ;D

Offline lebowski

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +96/-70
    • View Profile
  • Cars: Car: '06 Legacy GT Wagon 5-speed. Rich corinthian leather upholstery. Roof rack. AM/FM/CD.
« Reply #19 on: June 27, 2018, 11:01:59 am »
I previously recommended the Impreza but I have to admit that I hadn't given the Fusion AWD any thought: I agree it's a great car and a great value. BUT, comparing both cars, consider a few things:

1) depending on whether you have parking at home and/or work, the Impreza is obviously a much smaller car and will be thus easier to park on the street.

2) how important is power to you, and are you open to driving a manual? I have driven that 2.0L impreza with the 5-speed, and actually found it surprisingly peppy around town.  If you don't often have the car loaded up, it could be perfectly sufficient. Of course, it won't come close to offering the power or smoothness of the 3.5L V6 in the Ford, but only you can decide if that's important.

3) Fuel economy. If this website is any indication, you'll pay 50% more annually to gas up the Ford. Again, might be worth it to you, might not.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/Find.do?action=sbs&id=30364&id=32532