Author Topic: First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX  (Read 19308 times)

Offline ericcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Legacy
Re: First Drive: 2019 Acura RDX
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2018, 09:18:27 pm »
Versus a traditional shifter, it frees up space underneath for a semi-hidden storage area like the one on the Chrysler 200.
but it doesn't save any real estate...in the space you have those ~4 buttons in a row, you could have simply put a shifter there instead...as i said, at least with a rotary dial (like the RAM) trucks, you'd have a ~3 inch dial to select through your choices...that would save some real estate...this doesn't do that...you are simply replacing a long rectangle shape for a shift with buttons.

Shifter takes up more volume beneath the surface. The touchpad is also occupying the position of the traditional shifter. I agree that a rotary dial would work pretty well.

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2018, 10:22:08 pm »
Shifter takes up more volume beneath the surface.
considering there is rarely anything underneath the center console, that is irrelevant...also, it's pretty easy to make an electronic shifter...one that doesn't actually need mechanical linkages to the transmission...this isn't the 80s any more...in fact, i'd bet most newer vehicles use electronic transmission controllers anyway.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline 2JDM

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +119/-141
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2018, 10:25:28 pm »
Dad was at the Acura dealer in London today they already sold ~ 20 of these units.

Offline ericcc

• Learner's Permit
  • Carma: +0/-0
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Legacy
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2018, 10:42:46 pm »
considering there is rarely anything underneath the center console, that is irrelevant...also, it's pretty easy to make an electronic shifter...one that doesn't actually need mechanical linkages to the transmission...this isn't the 80s any more...in fact, i'd bet most newer vehicles use electronic transmission controllers anyway.

Not irrelevant as there is a storage space beneath where a traditional shifter would be. Where the buttons are currently is not a visually appealing place for a shift handle -just look at the CRV.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2018, 10:58:13 pm »
Dad was at the Acura dealer in London today they already sold ~ 20 of these units.

Wow.

Offline chignectohead

• Enthusiast
  • Carma: +31/-195
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda6 2.5t
« Reply #45 on: June 26, 2018, 11:43:06 pm »
The Envision is made in China. Thus, with 25% added import duty in the US, Norm will be comparing it to GLC 43s soon, made in USA,

:rofl2:

Norm, you being a Trumpster, what's your thoughts on the above?  Set us straight. :)

The 25% is our discount off MSRP in the states.  GM will shuffle it elsewhere or absorb it. My Envision was used so no tariff for me.

The Envision is made in China. Thus, with 25% added import duty in the US, Norm will be comparing it to GLC 43s soon, made in USA,

Norm, you being a Trumpster, what's your thoughts on the above?  Set us straight. :)

The 25% is our discount off MSRP in the states.  GM will shuffle it elsewhere or absorb it. My Envision was used so no tariff for me.

You mean the Envision is routinely sold at 25% off in the US? Try another one Norm. Funny how you managed to get a second hand one 5 minutes after they arrived and started pushing it on every automotive forum as if it were the second coming.

Based on your accounts of owning a supersonic Encore, a Cadillac XTS that in Trifecta tune should have been Pikes Peak champ and now this presumably 30% off or more Envision, your claim to be a racing driver instructor and finally your in-depth grasp of Trumponomics and GM hiding import duties on Silverado trucks built in Mexico, Buicks from South Korea and China, I'd conclude you're as full of it now as you were in 2010.

So, not believable.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #46 on: June 27, 2018, 12:19:03 am »
Guys, just add NormT to your ignore list. You guys are making it hard on yourselves at this point.  ;)

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2018, 08:18:16 am »

Not irrelevant as there is a storage space beneath where a traditional shifter would be. Where the buttons are currently is not a visually appealing place for a shift handle -just look at the CRV.
very few vehicles use any space under the center console for storage...it isn't very convenient to get at...most cars are solid between the driver and passenger footwells...it may also have something to do with safety...perhaps keeping the limbs in a contained area in the event of a crash...you likely don't want a foot sneaking into that area, only to get mangled because of the impact.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7213
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2018, 09:08:15 am »

Wow.

Not surprised. These things will sell like hotcakes.
Yep! Looks like a HR.
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #49 on: June 28, 2018, 07:56:31 am »

Another new Envision Prem member on Truedelta got $11,000 off MSRP and another on Facebook page.  Not uncommon.

https://www.cars.com/vehicledetail/detail/732728351/overview/

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #50 on: June 28, 2018, 08:02:18 am »
Another new Envision Prem member on Truedelta got $11,000 off MSRP and another on Facebook page.  Not uncommon.

Norm....This is a thread for the RDX, not for you to keep pumping your GM pricing that isn't even relevant to our market. This is CANADA not the USA.

Offline Jaeger

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +707/-12395
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2015 Hyundai Genesis 3.8 AWD, 2016 Honda Fit EX-L Navi, 2019 Genesis G80 3.3t Sport, 2021 Honda CB650R, 2023 Honda Monkey
« Reply #51 on: June 28, 2018, 08:15:20 am »
Guys, just add NormT to your ignore list. You guys are making it hard on yourselves at this point.  ;)

Word. Stop feeding the troll.
Wokeism is nothing more than the recognition and opposition of bigotry in all its forms.  Bigots are predictably triggered.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #52 on: June 28, 2018, 09:35:09 am »
My MDX has a storage area under the centre console on the passenger side even with a column shifter.  I keep my multi-socket power outlet in there to keep it uncluttered. I thought it was silly until I needed the space.

It's the door left of the opened glove box in this photo.

Offline SearhardBurger

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +28/-29
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 VW Golf City, 2018 Honda CR-V Touring, 2013 Buick Regal GS (RIP)
« Reply #53 on: June 28, 2018, 12:11:47 pm »
This looks great to me.  I love the interior.  Only thing that doesn't appeal to me in terms of looks is the rear end.

Probably like the exterior of the new QX50 better, but this interior takes the cake!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #54 on: June 28, 2018, 12:43:17 pm »
One of these just moved in across the street from me.  One of my neighbours has long had one Toyota and one Honda product.  Way back they had an ES300 and an Accord, then a series of RXs and CR-Vs, and now the CR-V has been replaced by this newest RDX.  Through my window looking across the road, it looks really good, lol.  I'll have to go over and have a closer look sometime.

Offline Ex-airbalancer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +729/-1584
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2011 Silverado 1500 LTZ ext ended cab , 2013 Lexus RX-350 F Sport
« Reply #55 on: June 28, 2018, 12:56:38 pm »
This looks great to me.  I love the interior.  Only thing that doesn't appeal to me in terms of looks is the rear end.

Probably like the exterior of the new QX50 better, but this interior takes the cake!
Time to trade in the CR-V  :rofl2:

Offline Hammy

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +52/-182
    • View Profile
    • NL Car Buying 101
  • Cars: 2019 Audi RS3, 2021 Ford F-150 Lariat, 2014 Mazda 3 GX
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2018, 02:17:07 pm »
Myself and my wife took one of these out for a test drive last evening in our continuing search for a Tiguan replacement (still 7 months left on lease).  She absolutely loved it and I have to say it packs a good little punch and feels really solid.  The touch pad thing only took a minute to figure out, the seats were very comfortable and it handles very well.  I think we could get by with the Tech trim which puts it at just over $56K with taxes.  She still kind of wants a truck again though so I'm not sure where we'll end up.

Offline NormT

• Auto Obsessed
  • Carma: +12/-335
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '18 Regal TourX, '04 Saab 9-5 Arc JZW stg 4, '02 C32 AMG, '07 Saturn Sky,
« Reply #57 on: August 04, 2018, 09:30:37 pm »

You mean the Envision is routinely sold at 25% off in the US? Try another one Norm. Funny how you managed to get a second hand one 5 minutes after they arrived and started pushing it on every automotive forum as if it were the second coming.

Based on your accounts of owning a supersonic Encore, a Cadillac XTS that in Trifecta tune should have been Pikes Peak champ and now this presumably 30% off or more Envision, your claim to be a racing driver instructor and finally your in-depth grasp of Trumponomics and GM hiding import duties on Silverado trucks built in Mexico, Buicks from South Korea and China, I'd conclude you're as full of it now as you were in 2010.

So, not believable.

Not just 30% but $16,000 odd MSRP.  Might have to in n estimate this one to see if there are any miles on it.
https://www.alpinebuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Buick-Envision-AWD_4dr_Premium_II-Denver-CO/3128190163

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #58 on: August 04, 2018, 09:34:02 pm »
Not just 30% but $16,000 odd MSRP.  Might have to in n estimate this one to see if there are any miles on it.
https://www.alpinebuickgmc.com/VehicleDetails/new-2018-Buick-Envision-AWD_4dr_Premium_II-Denver-CO/3128190163

Wow great. Another american link for a Canadian audience.  You just don't get it do you.

Offline CanuckS2K

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +398/-316
    • View Profile
    • Prestige Auto Detail
  • Cars: 1991 Toyota MR2 Turbo, 2005 Honda S2000, 2014 Infiniti Q50S, 2017 Ford F-150 Lariat
« Reply #59 on: August 04, 2018, 09:46:39 pm »

So, not believable.

I wonder what the discounts are on the Mokka in Europe are?  Oh wait, that has no relevance to this thread either.
Owner - Prestige Auto Detailing & Hammond River Brewing