Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125133 times)

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #460 on: October 05, 2020, 04:34:42 pm »
FFS.  I just got done talking to my Mom.  She's buying 18" Uniroyal Tiger Paw winter tires mounted on alloys for her VW Atlas for $1600 from the dealer.

I tried explaining to her that's far more than she should be paying for those tires.  I even priced out Blizzaks from Costco for her.  4 Blizzak DM-V2's, mounted on 18" alloy wheels are $1612, minus a $100 in-store gift card.  So, much better tires for a little less money than she's paying at the Stealership. 

She didn't want to hear it.  Gaaah.  Parents can be frustrating sometimes.  Ah Well, it's her money. 

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #461 on: October 05, 2020, 05:06:19 pm »
The good thing is that it doesn't really matter.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #462 on: October 05, 2020, 08:20:54 pm »
I think it matters.  The Uniroyal Tiger Paw Winter 3 is a sub-par, Chinese tire.  It's fine if somebody wants to buy cheap tires for a cheap car, but if you're spending premium prices on a winter tire package for a nice vehicle you'd better get a premium tire. 

Anyway, I sent her some reviews and comparos showing the Uniroyal tire at the bottom of the lists.  I guess that spooked her into calling me after work, and we had a conversation.

Among other things the VW dealership told her, was that she HAD to use alloys on her Atlas, because steel wheels aren't strong enough.  I told her that's a load of crap.  If she wants to use steel wheels, that's up to her, but Alloys have the advantage of looking good.  She'll go with alloys for that reason, and it's crappy that the dealer tried upselling her with a lie rather than let her choose.

Another piece of information they omitted was when she asked about TPMS sensors.  She asked if she would need TPMS sensors, and the dealership told her the price of the sensors was included into their price.  They're not actually wrong, but technically, the Atlas doesn't use TPMS modules in the tires.  It uses the wheel speed sensors to determine if a tire is low on air.  She wouldn't need to pay extra for sensors regardless of where she buys tires from. 

Anyway, She mentioned she was also shopping OK Tire, and that they were around $1700 for a Blizzak DM-V2 tire package with alloy winter wheels.  Somehow she let the dealership convince her to place an order with them.  She's going to call the dealership tomorrow and cancel the order with them (she didn't put money down or anything), and she'll get a firm quote from OK tire.  I told her that she can get a similar package from Costco for $1700 installed (she has no interest in going to Costco for some reason), and to use that as a reference to gauge if the price from OK tire is fair. 

This is why dealerships suck.  They take advantage of people who don't necessarily know any better. 

Online dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #463 on: October 05, 2020, 08:37:56 pm »
Costco does sell hub centric steel wheels.

With their alloy wheels, they should come with hub spacers to make them hub centric.

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #464 on: October 05, 2020, 09:10:19 pm »
I told her that she can get a similar package from Costco for $1700 installed (she has no interest in going to Costco for some reason), and to use that as a reference to gauge if the price from OK tire is fair.

I only used costco maybe once for winter tires and their balancing work sucked. But to be fair, they seem to do well when it comes to warranty tire repair and road hazard replacement. Maybe show her the warranty page and compare.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline Brig

• Brig
  • Carma: +396/-1400
  • Class Clown, Moderatrix and Resident Hag
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2016 Mazda CX-3 GS AWD
« Reply #465 on: October 05, 2020, 09:46:27 pm »
You are a good son, GBA.  Her generation wasn’t taught to shop around.  You just went with the guy you trusted.  Good on ya for schooling her a bit.

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #466 on: October 05, 2020, 10:20:04 pm »
This is why dealerships suck.  They take advantage of people who don't necessarily know any better.

You could easily change this to why bad businesses suck.

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #467 on: October 05, 2020, 10:28:40 pm »

You could easily change this to why bad businesses suck.

Absolutely.  Plenty of examples of businesses that suck, from contractors to car dealerships to everything in between.