Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125143 times)

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #420 on: November 11, 2019, 11:49:51 am »
This will be my second winter the Blizzak WS-80s on the Crosstrek.

I found them to be good but not as great as expected based on all the reviews I read.  I found two annoying flaws with them, at least one of which is supposed to be addressed in the newer WS-90s:

1)  The rear swings out too easily on snow, even at low speeds (less than 15 Kph).  This is supposed to have been improved with the WS-90s.

2)  When driving in a straight line in heavy snow, I find the car seems to shift laterally on occasion as if it is shifting into an existing track from another vehicle.  Instead, I expected it to push the snow to the side slightly and bite into it, making a new track. 

I understand that the weight - and weight distribution - of the car can affect performance.  However, it is rather disappointing to say the least that a tread which was built to handle snow as its main claim to fame did not really do that.
I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass...and I'm all out of bubblegum.    -    John Nada (played by Roddy Piper) in "They Live"

ltruong

« Reply #421 on: November 11, 2019, 11:52:36 am »
I need to order rims for the Highlander. Should I just get steelies or get nice good deal rims

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #422 on: November 11, 2019, 11:57:13 am »
This will be my second winter the Blizzak WS-80s on the Crosstrek.

I found them to be good but not as great as expected based on all the reviews I read.  I found two annoying flaws with them, at least one of which is supposed to be addressed in the newer WS-90s:

1)  The rear swings out too easily on snow, even at low speeds (less than 15 Kph).  This is supposed to have been improved with the WS-90s.

2)  When driving in a straight line in heavy snow, I find the car seems to shift laterally on occasion as if it is shifting into an existing track from another vehicle.  Instead, I expected it to push the snow to the side slightly and bite into it, making a new track. 

I understand that the weight - and weight distribution - of the car can affect performance.  However, it is rather disappointing to say the least that a tread which was built to handle snow as its main claim to fame did not really do that.

I have WS-80's on both the Audi and the Odyssey, and had them on the Mk7 Golf prior - on all three vehicles, I can't swing the tail out with the e-brake! Must be the Subie sending additional torque to the rear wheels that's causing the tail to swing. Ditto on 2) as the Blizzaks don't shift at all.
Traffic engineer/project manager & part time auto journalist

Offline dirtyjeffer

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +296/-1312
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2021 Toyota Venza Limited, 2016 Kia Sorento EX AWD
« Reply #423 on: November 11, 2019, 12:01:58 pm »
I have WS-80's on both the Audi and the Odyssey, and had them on the Mk7 Golf prior - on all three vehicles, I can't swing the tail out with the e-brake! Must be the Subie sending additional torque to the rear wheels that's causing the tail to swing. Ditto on 2) as the Blizzaks don't shift at all.
yea, i never had any issues with them either...the only time i could see #2 is if i was driving at a decent clip (say, 60 km/hr+) and the snow plow left a large drift in the road when it went around a corner, you could get some shifting of the path there, but i mean, the drift may be 18-20 inches of pretty dense snow, so it's going to impede your movement...as well, you're likely rising up a bit on the snow, which then gives a bit due to the weight of the car, so i don't think it's a fault of the tire, it simply physics.
When you've lost the argument, admit defeat and hit the smite button.

Offline random006

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +123/-83
    • View Profile
  • Cars: His - 2018 Subaru Crosstrek .... Hers - 2008 Honda Civic DX
« Reply #424 on: November 11, 2019, 12:26:41 pm »
yea, i never had any issues with them either...the only time i could see #2 is if i was driving at a decent clip (say, 60 km/hr+) and the snow plow left a large drift in the road when it went around a corner, you could get some shifting of the path there, but i mean, the drift may be 18-20 inches of pretty dense snow, so it's going to impede your movement...as well, you're likely rising up a bit on the snow, which then gives a bit due to the weight of the car, so i don't think it's a fault of the tire, it simply physics.

#2 was in a straight line on a city street doing about 30 - 40 kph.  The snow was a mix of soft snow and fine, almost beadlike ice pellets.  I had accumulated to about 4 to 6 inches.  No way was I going to go 50 (the speed limit) on that day under those conditions.

Offline Blueprint

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +170/-232
  • member since way back when
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2024 Mazda CX-90 GS-L PHEV, 2022 Subaru Crosstrek Limited, 1975 Triumph TR6
« Reply #425 on: November 11, 2019, 12:33:55 pm »

#2 was in a straight line on a city street doing about 30 - 40 kph.  The snow was a mix of soft snow and fine, almost beadlike ice pellets.  I had accumulated to about 4 to 6 inches.  No way was I going to go 50 (the speed limit) on that day under those conditions.

In Quebec we have flattened orange cones under the snow - affects directional stability.

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #426 on: November 11, 2019, 01:58:49 pm »
Some very icy roads here the last few days and the WS-90s have been exceptional. The Corolla has had zero issues with getting around.

ltruong

« Reply #427 on: November 12, 2019, 09:46:54 pm »
Sh!tte  I ordered steelies without looking from costco.  wrong size, recieved 17", my tires are 19".  turns out you can't get 19inin steel. and costco only has 1 selection of rims.  where else could i shop for descently priced rims

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #428 on: November 12, 2019, 09:48:30 pm »
Sh!tte  I ordered steelies without looking from costco.  wrong size, recieved 17", my tires are 19".  turns out you can't get 19inin steel. and costco only has 1 selection of rims.  where else could i shop for descently priced rims

What's wrong with 17" for winter?
How fast is my 911?  Supras sh*t on on me all the time...in reverse..with blown turbos  :( ...

ltruong

« Reply #429 on: November 12, 2019, 09:52:14 pm »

I already have the tires, they came with the highlander, previous owner probably just paid to switch them on the original 19in rims every 6 months

Offline EV Dan

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +480/-383
    • View Profile
  • Cars: '21 Venzaurus
« Reply #430 on: November 12, 2019, 10:36:36 pm »

I already have the tires, they came with the highlander, previous owner probably just paid to switch them on the original 19in rims every 6 months

Is your wheel offset +30?  https://www.wheel-size.com/size/toyota/highlander/2014/

If so, how about these  :P
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/markham-york-region/brand-new-2020-genesis-g90-take-off-rims-and-tires/1471689346

Or on a more conservative side,
https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/hamilton/genesis-coupe-19s/1470598885

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-tires-rims/city-of-toronto/19-inch-oem-genesis-coupe-rims-5x114-3x67-1/1469281224

These last Gen Coupe rims are staggered and it's best to try them on before buying just to be on a safe side. And you may like to get hub rings as Hyundai bore is a little bigger, although some ppl don't bother.
Give a man a fish, he eats for a day. Teach the man to fish and he wakes you up at 5 in the morning.

Offline rrocket

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +1254/-7210
    • View Profile
« Reply #431 on: November 12, 2019, 10:40:58 pm »

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-pneus-jantes/ville-de-quebec/jantes-19-pouces-4/1469926381

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +236/-453
    • View Profile
« Reply #432 on: November 13, 2019, 07:01:10 am »
He's in Alberta though.

I'd just keep swapping into the OEM rims until the winters are worn out and then get 17's.  Assuming you'll only get 1-2 seasons out of them.
Only the slow and dim know where they're going in life, and seldom is it worth the trip. - Tom Robbins.

ltruong

« Reply #433 on: November 13, 2019, 09:35:59 am »
He's in Alberta though.

I'd just keep swapping into the OEM rims until the winters are worn out and then get 17's.  Assuming you'll only get 1-2 seasons out of them.

The winters are pretty much new so probably 4 seasons .Pay 150$ every 6 months.... Mmmhhhh cheapest i can find on Kijiji are around 800 but are nice.

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #434 on: November 13, 2019, 09:41:25 am »
Road trip to Quebec City?

Might be worth seeing if the guy would ship them for you..... Though I have no idea how much that would cost.

If you put steelies on the RX Vmango will personally fly out there and steal your valve stems.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2019, 09:57:51 am by tortoise »

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
« Reply #435 on: November 13, 2019, 09:46:41 am »

Might be worth seeing if the guy would ship them for you..... Though I have no idea how much that would cost.

If you put alloys on the RX Vmango will personally fly out there and steal your valve stems.

:think: 
You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline tortoise

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #436 on: November 13, 2019, 09:57:35 am »
Yeah.  That's not right.  Fixed.

ltruong

« Reply #437 on: November 13, 2019, 11:28:13 am »

If you put steelies on the RX Vmango will personally fly out there and steal your valve stems.

Haha no. RX came with nice winter rims

Offline HeliDriver

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +176/-235
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2023 Crosstrek Sport 6MT; 2011 Yukon XL 2500
« Reply #438 on: December 13, 2019, 01:03:55 pm »
I'm happy enough with the new WS90s, but am a little pissed off that I'll have to go back to Costco to get them rebalanced. They're perfect up to 120 km/h, then they just go all to hell.

I thought I could live with it, but nope. Too much bare pavement and open highway here not to be able to exceed 120 km/h now and then.

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #439 on: December 13, 2019, 01:10:26 pm »
I'm happy enough with the new WS90s, but am a little pissed off that I'll have to go back to Costco to get them rebalanced. They're perfect up to 120 km/h, then they just go all to hell.

I thought I could live with it, but nope. Too much bare pavement and open highway here not to be able to exceed 120 km/h now and then.

dang, that sucks.

also, costco scratched the .<expletives> out of my rims...    and i was watching their work while i had my tires mounted on the rims, and they run their air impact wrench extensively on the lugs on cars, and one guy comes out later and do a token torque wrench tightening, which clicks off right away, cause the <expletives> air gun tightened the <expletives> out of the lugs already... 

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D