Author Topic: Why Costco rocks for tires  (Read 125305 times)

Offline Gurgie

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +308/-518
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Honda Passport Touring
Re: Why Costco rocks for tires
« Reply #220 on: December 04, 2018, 09:36:55 am »
I don't recall any mention of having to buy TPMS sensors for your new rims/tires.  Are Tundra's not equipped with TPMS?

Mine is equipped with TPMS on the factory wheels.  I decided to forego the expense of TPMS on my winter wheels/tires.  The TPMS light is lit up on the dash, and that seems to be the only negative effect.  Everything else from stability control to traction control seems to work normally, even without the TPM sensors (some higher end vehicles may have some of those systems integrated with the TPMS).

Small piece of this can solve that light issue  :rofl:

You live everyday. You only die once....

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +289/-389
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 12 Mazda 5 GT 6MT
« Reply #221 on: December 04, 2018, 11:26:43 am »
Didn’t someone say they could clone the signal from the OE TPMS sensors for the additional wheels? How reliable is that?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: December 04, 2018, 11:14:32 pm »
My local Costco warehouse happened to have the tire I wanted in the size I needed, so yea of course I bought them! They’ll go on my Sequoia 4pm tomorrow.  :bounce:

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: December 05, 2018, 09:13:27 pm »
Traction! Sweet and glorious traction!

Offline johngenx

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +758/-938
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2009 Toyota Corolla, 2004 Toyota Highlander V-6 4WD, 2001 Subaru Forester, 1994 Mazda Miata
« Reply #224 on: December 06, 2018, 12:10:47 am »
Traction! Sweet and glorious traction!

Awesome!

I'm a serious DM-V2 slappie.

Offline Serniter

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +40/-20
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2017 Lexus ES350
« Reply #225 on: December 06, 2018, 09:10:56 am »
My local Costco warehouse happened to have the tire I wanted in the size I needed, so yea of course I bought them! They’ll go on my Sequoia 4pm tomorrow.  :bounce:

Great! Any idea how much each tire weighs?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #226 on: December 06, 2018, 12:22:35 pm »
Awesome!

I'm a serious DM-V2 slappie.

They certainly feel good so far brand new, we'll see them shine in a bit once the multicell pores start showing up. it accelerates just as fast in 2WD mode now as it did with 4WD but boy am I even more impressed with its ability to stop. I'll find an unplowed parking lot to test cornering in, that's one thing I don't like to test fate with on public roads. FYI, I looked at the date stamp of the old tires... manufactured in 2004!  :o Good maintenance history but obviously didn't care about the tires.

Great! Any idea how much each tire weighs?

Thanks! Tire Rack says 39 lb each. I was guessing they weighed almost as much as my kid, more like 2/3rds as much but not far off. 14/32nds tread to start off is a lot of tread! So by my counts, I lose the multi cell tread at about 6.3/32nds.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: December 06, 2018, 12:33:37 pm »
So Costco Online shipped my tires this morning lol. Anyone need DM-V2s 265/70R16?

Offline Great_Big_Abyss

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +268/-457
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Mazda CX-5
« Reply #228 on: December 06, 2018, 12:36:40 pm »
I don't get it...you bought two sets of tires?

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: December 06, 2018, 01:35:41 pm »
I bought it online but after 36 hours of not even attempting to charge my credit card or anything, I decided to go to my local warehouse and they happened to have the exact same tire and size in stock, so I bought those instead. Otherwise I would've gone another week on craptastic 14 year old tires. Luckily Costco is good with me declining the tires and returning it for a full refund when it arrives at the warehouse.

Weird, it appears Costco Online still didn't try to charge my credit card.  ???

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +39/-88
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Forester Touring; 2009 Civic EX-L
« Reply #230 on: December 06, 2018, 07:35:19 pm »
I almost went with the DM-V2 for the Forester; then decided to give Hankook iPike RSV from CT a try because of decent reviews and my friend's employee discount.  It ends up being $491.26 including HST just for the tires.

I'm going to get the black steel wheels price matched at my Subaru dealer so I don't have to wait for Costco to ship them to me.  Hopefully timing will work so I can drive out of the dealership with the winter shoes on.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: December 06, 2018, 10:39:18 pm »
My Sienna had the older IPike W419 and I slid on ice into a parked car last December. Couldn’t even steer away from it. I won’t trust non studded studable tires on ice again.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: December 07, 2018, 10:31:22 am »
My Sienna had the older IPike W419 and I slid on ice into a parked car last December. Couldn’t even steer away from it. I won’t trust non studded studable tires on ice again.

Hmm... should I go with xice3 instead?

Offline quadzilla

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +391/-634
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2022 Rock'n Rolla Nightstalker
« Reply #233 on: December 07, 2018, 10:40:02 am »

While some tires are better on ice nothing will stop you quickly because it is ice. If you are doing 60-80 kph and hit ice, just pray.

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #234 on: December 07, 2018, 10:54:55 am »
This is the fourth time i bought tires at Costco and it was an not an ideal experience. The first three times were perfect.
So i take the car in for a tire change. 45 minutes in they call me and say they cannot take the summer tires off and they seem stuck. So they put the winter tires on the rims, align and balance it and put it back in the trunk and send me my way.
I call my local indy and he said come over and he will have a look. 
Well he puts the car up and lo and behold the locking nut is not in the car. Costco was a 30 minute drive (rush hour) and the BMW dealer was less than a 10 minute drive. So i drive to the dealer and buy a new locking nut ($25+taxes). Then i go back to the indy who removes all the wheels with absolutely no additional effort than what is required to take the wheels off.
He laughs and makes a comment about students and newbies working at Costco. Set me back another ($35+ taxes) so about $75 in all, but more importantly wasted a lot of my time (which is rare to get with a long commute to work and 2 young kids)

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 11:30:33 am by CSH »

Offline aquadorhj

• Car Crazy
  • Carma: +271/-265
    • View Profile
  • Cars: MB SLK 55, Lexus NX, E46 M3, Honda Fit, VW Jetta, VW Rabbit, Saturn SC, Nissan NX,
« Reply #235 on: December 07, 2018, 11:13:24 am »
This is the fourth time i bought tires at Costco and it was an ideal experience. The first three times were perfect.
So i take the car in for a tire change. 45 minutes in they call me and say they cannot take the summer tires off and they seem stuck. So they put the winter tires on the rims, align and balance it and put it back in the trunk and send me my way.
Well he puts the car up and lo and behold the locking nut is not in the car. Costco was a 30 minute drive (rush hour) and the BMW dealer was less than a 10 minute drive. So i drive to the dealer and buy a new locking nut ($25+taxes). Then i go back to the indy who removes all the wheels with absolutely no additional effort than what is required to take the wheels off.
He laughs and makes a comment about students and newbies working at Costco. Set me back another ($35+ taxes) so about $75 in all, but more importantly wasted a lot of my time (which is rare to get with a long commute to work and 2 young kids)

i'm not sure if your bar for "ideal" is just very low, or you are being sarcastic.  i can't tell.

Driving thrills makes my wallet lighter.. and therefore makes me faster because i'm shedding weight... :D

Offline CSH

• Drunk on Fuel
  • Carma: +71/-102
    • View Profile
  • Cars: 2019 Telsa Model 3 SR+, 2009 Honda CRV, 2015 Honda CBR500R
« Reply #236 on: December 07, 2018, 11:30:43 am »
Fixed...

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: December 07, 2018, 11:51:16 am »
While some tires are better on ice nothing will stop you quickly because it is ice. If you are doing 60-80 kph and hit ice, just pray.

I had just exited a ramp and was turning left so I was doing about 10-15 km/h.

It's up to you, just giving some anecdote. I would recommend studding the tires if you go with studable as it may be an indication it doesn't have good ice traction without studs.

If you don't want to spend much on tires, the Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco probably cost the same as Canadian Tire's i*Pikes, then you're getting a much better tire that's superb in snow and very good on ice for the same price.

Offline dkaz

• Car Crazy
  • Flip flop
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: December 07, 2018, 12:40:46 pm »
This is the fourth time i bought tires at Costco and it was an not an ideal experience. The first three times were perfect.

Weird. Costco usually employs more experienced folks making a decent wage. When you say students and newbies at minimum wage, I think Kal Tire. That's too bad you went through that.

People still have wheel locks? I don't bother anymore, if people are going to steal my wheels, they're going to steal my wheels. My Mazda's wheel lock broke apart at about 4-5 years old and I didn't bother replacing it.

Offline carcrazed

• Car Crazy
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: December 07, 2018, 03:45:57 pm »

I had just exited a ramp and was turning left so I was doing about 10-15 km/h.

It's up to you, just giving some anecdote. I would recommend studding the tires if you go with studable as it may be an indication it doesn't have good ice traction without studs.

If you don't want to spend much on tires, the Bridgestone Blizzaks at Costco probably cost the same as Canadian Tire's i*Pikes, then you're getting a much better tire that's superb in snow and very good on ice for the same price.

I just went with the iPikes as planned because it was too late to change the order anyway.  The tires came out to be $488.76 for 225-60-17.  I got hub-centric steel rims from the dealer (price matched with Costco at $74.99) and just came home from the dealer.  If I went with Costco, I would have had to wait a few days and drive around on all seasons.  I'll post pics on Show  'n Shine soon.